• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 6,076 Views, 703 Comments

Short Shorts - Coranth

  • ...
40
 703
 6,076

PreviousChapters Next
61. Savage

Jonah Hetfield looked at the little pony sitting before him with narrowed gaze. Weak and frail was she, though she had potential; the human could see it lurking there within the depths of her cyan eyes. "So..." stated he, softly. "You wish to overcome your fear; to adapt to and survive within the harshest of places? To know yourself; what you can do?"

A nod of her pink-maned head was the answer he received, and so - with a gesture for her to follow him - he led the little pony, Fluttershy of Ponyville, into the darkest heart of the Forest known as Everfree.

Therein, Jonah - a learned master in the arts of survival and fieldcraft - taught the pegasus all he knew. He ran her through the most brutal of exercise routines to build her strength; then later he taught her to move silently in order that she might hunt the smallest, to the deadliest, of creatures. Jonah taught the little pegasus to fashion the tools of her trade - sling, bow, axe, and spear - as well as clothing, from the skin and bones of the things she hunted.

Fluttershy learned where to find water within the great forest; she learned of plants that were good to eat, plants that were poison, and plants that could be used as the most powerful of medicines. Her human teacher even taught her how to build her own home within the forest depths - a simple cabin of logs, mud, and vines that became a house, and eventually a huge camp-fortress.

For nearly fifteen years, Fluttershy and her instructor dwelt within the Everfree Forest, and in time the little pegasus - though she remained kind - developed a cold hardness behind her eyes. Nature, learned she, was a savage Mother, and so she became savage in turn; merely another denizen of the great Forest. No longer did the Cockatrice, Timberwolf, Manticore, and Hydra fill her with fear; instead all either guarded her new home or became allies she could call upon as desired.

But the changes didn't end there. Gone was the timid pegasus whom could not fly; Fluttershy stood now at a size rivalling that of Big Macintosh, her body composed of nought but lean, hardened musculature. Her wings, too, were impressive; they had become huge, near birdlike things that - while unable to grant her the speed of her friend Rainbow Dash - could enable her to fly swiftly for hours, and traverse incredible distances. Her hooves, too, had changed, becoming cloven things that could help her traverse the toughest of ground whilst powerful muscles within her hind legs enabled her a buck rivaling that of her friend Applejack.

She was clad in the pelts of animals she'd hunted and resting atop her back, between her wings, there lay a massive, hydra-gut strung bow that only she could use; at her sides there rested a throwing spear, some stone axes, and a saddle bag filled with food and medicines. Strapped to her forelegs were slings and bone knives, and the pegasus also bore a bandolier filled with all manner of potions. She was ready...

* * *

Chrysalis had almost succeeded. Canterlot was hers - Equestria itself was almost hers - she was so close! In triumph - as her drones tore the city apart and captured ponies from which to feed - she watched, and laughed. Then, abruptly, her laughter ceased as a praetorian guard burst into the captured throne room. "Your Majesty! Your Majesty," the guard cried with fright, "she comes, she comes!"

"Who," barked the Changeling Queen, "who comes, worm! Speak!"

"S-She called herself... Savage!" bleated the guard in terror. "SAVAGE! ... Ghhhkk!"

A knife of bone embedded itself within the guard's throat, ending his life in a spray of arterial blood which splashed over the queen's form. A shriek of horror escaped the queen; then in anger, she looked towards the opened throne-room doors... just in time to witness the hugest pony she'd ever seen (aside from Celestia) enter the room. She was a butter-yellow pegasus, huge and utterly intimidating, with short-cropped pink mane and tail, clad in outlandish, self-made clothing and bearing all-manner of weapons.

The necklace of shrunken animal heads she wore around her neck - 'one of those heads is from one of my drones! - didn't seem very encouraging, nor did the odd bandolier filled with hive-knew what that she wore. 'Bah... no matter' thought Chrysalis after a moment, 'she will fall, like all the others!'

The Changeling Queen hissed in anger, and scraped a hoof upon the ground.

The pegasus didn't seem impressed. She blinked... and then, Chrysalis felt a shiver run down her spine as the pony grinned, revealing teeth that were far too sharp. Cyan eyes, hardened to cold chips of ice, narrowed as they affixed the Userper Queen with deadly intent... and then Fluttershy, formerly of Ponyville and now of the Everfree - the Mare known to her foes as 'The Savage' - opened her mouth... and roared...

Author's Note:

And so, a new Hero is born... Savage!Shy

PreviousChapters Next