• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 6,086 Views, 703 Comments

Short Shorts - Coranth

  • ...
40
 703
 6,086

PreviousChapters Next
143. Bucket

"Good afternoon. My name is Edward Cole. I don't know what most people say at these occasions because in all honesty, I've tried to avoid them. The simplest thing is I loved him and I miss him. Carter and I saw the world together, which is amazing when you think that only three months ago we were complete strangers. I hope that it doesn't sound selfish of me, but the last months of his life were the best months of mine. He saved my life, and he knew it before I did. I'm deeply proud that this man found it worth his while to know me. In the end, I think it's safe to say that we brought some joy to one another's lives, so one day, when I go to some final resting place, if I happen to wake up next to a certain wall with a gate, I hope that Carter's there to vouch for me and show me the ropes on the other side."

* * *

Twilight Sparkle had known it was coming when David had agreed to show her the film, "The Bucket List"; a wonderful film about friendship and its ups and downs--but she simply wasn't prepared for this. Edward Cole's - Jack Nicholson's - eulogy for Carter Chambers - played by Morgan Freeman - had got her, like it had so many others. As the film ended, the little lavender alicorn wiped furiously at her eyes, but her tears wouldn't stop. "It's a film," she choked, "just a... ah... f-fhuh... film..." She fought valiantly with herself, but in the end... "I'm going to break Royal Protocol, now..." she stated--and then she enfolded me into a hug - hooves, wings and all - as she cried, and cried, and cried, her body shaking with silent sobs. As she wept, soothingly, I stroked her back, combed my hands through her mane and gently scratched her behind the ears.

Later, when she'd been able to stop crying, Twilight wrote a letter to her Mentor...

* * *

"Dear Princess Celestia,

I would like for a film to be imported - in its original, un-ponified form - for distribution throughout Equestria. This film is a masterpiece, one that deals frankly and honestly with a subject we all hold so dear: Friendship. It is called, 'The Bucket List'..."

* * *

As she finished reading Twilight's letter - stained with more than a few tears - the Solar Princess wondered what sort of film could have evoked such a reaction from her beloved fellow Princess and student. Nodding thoughtfully, Celestia moved to have a copy of the film delivered through the Portal immediately...

* * *

As the film ended, a stoic, though very misty-eyed Luna held her weeping sister close. She wasn't crying; no, she'd just gotten some of the garlic-butter from the popcorn in her--oh, who was she kidding. Nuzzling against her sister, the Lunar Princess wept.

Later, she would sign the decree that this film - and indeed more human works of film and literature - would be allowed out into Greater Equestria, for the first time uncensored and unadjusted for Equestrian sensibilities...

* * *

Canterlot Times: Princesses allow Uncensored Human Films into Equestria; More Human Works to Follow!

Equestria Daily: Pinkie Pie Opens 'Find the Joy' Foundation for Foals with Cancer.

Foal Free Press: Funny Pony Doctors; Doctors and Nurses of Ponyville Hospital Inspired by Human Film, "Patch Adams."

Trenderhoof Tabloid: "Number Five is Alive"; World Famous Equestrian Inventor 'Caught' Building Robot Based From Human Film, "Short Circuit"

Manehattan Days: "Freddy's Coming For You!"; Prepare for Brand New Nightmare Night Celebrations Based on "Nightmare on Elm Street Films!"

Education Annual: "Seize The Day": Equestrian Teachers Inspired By 'Dead Poet's Society'

To Boldly Go: Top Equestrian Scientists and Engineers Consider 'Enterprise-D' After New Series Hits Magi-TV

PreviousChapters Next