• Published 26th Mar 2013
  • 6,239 Views, 150 Comments

Amongst the Trees - TopHatsAndTea



What happens when a human enters Equestria, meets the ponies... and runs away from them? Who would he befriend instead? Under the canopy of the Everfree lies the answer...

  • ...
7
 150
 6,239

Chapter 5 - Twists, Truths, and Traps

Chapter 5 - Twists, Truths and Traps


Luna sighed as she alighted upon her balcony once more, her hooves barely making a sound despite the marble underfoot. Barely an hour previous, she had been in the presence of Jack, the strange ape-like creature now dwelling in the Everfree. She knew not what to make of the creature precisely; certainly, it- no, he, Luna thought, could play the violin masterfully, and it seemed that he had no ill wishes towards her ponies, but...

Shaking such thoughts away, Luna trotted off into the castle.

Even in the middle of the night, Canterlot Castle was awake, as servants tended to the rooms that had been used during the day, and supplicants made their way to the throne room for Luna’s Night Court (1).

Luna had no intentions in interfering with their affairs this night though. There was only one pony she needed to speak to, and Luna knew she would be waiting to hear her news of the human in the forest.

Fortunately for Luna, her sister’s room was not too far from her own, and in mere moments she arrived before its’ doors.

Knock knock knock...

Celestia snorted, jerking upright at her writing desk. She had tried to wait up for her sister, but having fallen back into the habit of sleeping at night again after so many years having to stay up most of the day, having odd naps here and there, made it near-impossible to stay awake whenever she desired to, and left her feeling bleary-headed after.

Steeling herself, Celestia sat upright, calling out.

“Come in!”

Luna softly pushed the door open, slipping her way into the room, a pensive look on her face. One look at her sister, however, made her grin.

“Oh, Tia, I did not realise just how much you love your sleep.”

Celestia blinked, playing innocent.

“Sleep? I’ve been up since you left, trying to get some of our paperwork done.” Tia waved a hoof dismissively.

Luna snickered. “In duplicate it seems, dear sister.”

“Hm?”

Luna pointed to her sister’s face, grinning. “Let’s see... gnitnuh rof dnal fo stcart retaerg rof stseuqer s’ainoffirG htiw enil ni... in line with Griffonia’s requests for greater tracts of land for hunting...” she giggled. “Thine fur has made a perfect blotting of the original document, Tia.”

Celestia swivelled around, surprised, to check in her mirror. True to Luna’s words, lines of text now graced the sun goddess’ cheek, from where her head must have rested on the still-moist ink.

With a small curse, Celestia magically siphoned the ink off her fur. It had unfortunately dried out too much to reuse immediately, but Celestia stored the powder left in a spare inkwell, resolving to use it another time.

She rounded on her giggling sister, a serious look on her face. “Come, Luna, you know now is not the time for jokes. What was it like, this creature?”

Luna’s cheerful exterior fell away, leaving a frown on her brow.

“Well... it was just as Spike told thee; a bipedal being, ape-like in appearance with little fur on its body save the top of its head, fully clothed... and could play the violin beautifully.” Luna smiled at the memory. “Oddly, it seems to have entered into an alliance with the Timberwolves, and-”

“The Timberwolves?”

Luna tutted, gazing down her muzzle at Tia. “Yes, if you would let me continue, sister...

“Besides his outward appearance, his character seems quite flawless, if only by my brief conversation with him and the emotion behind his music. He claims no ill intent upon any in our land, though he is reluctant to communicate with our ponies. This makes my conclusion all the more concerning, dear sister...” A slight frown graced Luna’s brow.

Tia waited patiently for her conclusion. Luna, however, stayed silent.

“...Well? What is your conclusion, Luna?” Tia probed, her own face mirroring her sister’s frown.

After a few drawn out seconds, Luna spoke again. “I fear that I can sense our mother’s hoof in all of this, Tia.”

Celestia gasped softly. “Luna, you’re not saying...”

Luna nodded. “Yes, I am. I think she has chosen.”

The two sat in ponderous silence, as if time had stood still.

Beyond the castle’s walls, the world continued.


At the edge of the everfree, the following morning...

“Come on, dude, all it takes is a step at a time...” Jack muttered to himself. For a good half-hour, he had been trying to convince himself to go back to town. Slung across his back was his violin case, as it gave him some reassurance to have it close.

Behind him, Rowan laid tiredly, his wooden muzzle resting in his paws. <Hatchling, you’ve been at this for too long already. If you truly wanted to make amends with the ponies, you would have gone already. Besides,> Rowan growled, <We have wasted much of the rising sun already, and I speak for all of my kin when I say we should be harvesting by now, before the sun’s zenith.>

Jack looked back questioningly. “Why, what happens then?”

With a Thwock! of wood on wood, Rowan’s paw collided with his brow. <have you not noticed yet? Though we sing the trees into growth in the night when the lunar magic augments our own, the fruit of our trees disappears at the third zenith of the sun, when the lunar magic is at its’ weakest.>

“Oh...” Jack nodded.

Then frowned. “Wait, so the apples contain a combination of lunar magic and your own?”

<Aye, that’s right.>

“Then... what keeps the picked apples from vanishing like the rest? And how do you get any magical energy from them otherwise? Surely any magic left would be your own?” Jack queried.

Rowan, on the other hand, simply chuckled. <We have learned not to question the workings of the All-Mother. Suffice to say, we are able to do so, and that is what matters for our survival.>

Jack groaned under his breath at this less-than-satisfactory answer, turning back towards Ponyville, steeling himself once more. Just one step at a time...

Before Jack could take another step though, his concentration was broken by Rowan, whose ears twitched most audibly (2). Jack sighed, partly out of irritation, but with relief too; he had been dreading just how the ponies would react to his presence.

“What is it?”

Rowan slowly rose up onto his paws, clearly thinking. <...You are set in your desire to make amends with pony-kind, correct?>

“Yeah, why?”

<Then perhaps we have an opportunity...> and with that, Rowan started off into the forest, though keeping to the edge. <Follow, fledgling, we shall see what can be done.>

Wondering what precisely was going on, Jack turned, padding after his friend.

Wandering through the trees, Jack kept an ear out for whatever Rowan had reacted to. Barely a minute into their walk, he was rewarded as a soft tone came lilting through the forest, barely audible, but enough for Jack to catch.

As the song grew in volume as they moved closer to its source, Jack muttered to Rowan, “Someone singing? How’s this going to help me?”

Much to Jack’s annoyance, Rowan just chuckled again. <Patience, fledgling, you will see what I mean soon enough.>

Elsewhere in the forest...

“Remind me again why it was necessary for me to come to this vile place and trudge through all this mud?” Blueblood moaned angrily, trying to keep his sullied hooves as far away from himself as possible, a feat that Truly couldn’t help but grin at.

“Because, Milord, I have some doubt that I’d be able to subdue the creature alone.” Truly muttered, pushing his way through the underbrush. “That and the fact that I’m not the one who’s going to be casting the control spell.”

Blueblood snorted, skirting around a muddy puddle. “Hmph. Good enough, I suppose. I do wonder though why on earth Starswirl ever thought creating such a spell would benefit ponydom.”

Truly sighed out of exasperation. “If you really want the history lesson...”

“Mmyes, I rather think that would be good.”

“Well then I’ll tell you.” Truly took a deep breath. “Starswirl the Bearded, great as he was, was just another unicorn like you or I, and mortality took its toll on his mind... and his family.

“The true madness in his mind made itself known after the death of his wife and long-time mage-lab partner, Crystal Shimmer. Where many were saddened by her loss, Starswirl outwardly showed no emotion, save for when he thought no-pony was around. He took to throwing fitful rages, but would snap back to cold, calm and collected outward behaviour as soon as he suspected another’s eyes on him.

“Most frightening though, were the sounds that now came from his laboratory. Many claimed they could hear screams of tortured ponies within the walls, and even Celestia was not blind to the fact some of the more powerful unicorns had started to disappear from the general populace.

“Eventually, she confronted him, only to find the student she had once taught long since gone from the mind of the pony that stood before her. All that remained was a shell, a husk of a mind, with one goal in mind; the resurrection of his beloved.”

Truly paused, his voice cracking slightly. “This goal had not been completed, but Starswirl had already done many unspeakable things to reach the stage he had. As suspected, he had been kidnapping the most powerful unicorns he could find, and cast the spell you will be using over them, to use their magical energy in his research. Those that he failed to subjugate laid broken, gibbering wrecks, but still useful as Starswirl discovered how to drain their magic. Some, he even kept alive as thaumic condensers and generators, draining them constantly.

All this, Celestia saw and was disgusted by it. Before the day ended, Starswirl had been imprisoned in the deepest branch of the Castle dungeon and all his experiments had been wiped from existence, save for the book we have; try as she might, Celestia could not bring herself to wipe his notes from existence, for some of the things he had discovered were actually beneficial to ponydom, albeit that they had been discovered using, and used upon, those poor souls he had used for magic sources. Thus, she did the only thing she could do; sealing it within the Canterlot archives with a nigh-constant Guard-watch.”

Truly’s tone lowered further still. “And that is where it has lain until I managed to take it without them noticing. I’m half-tempted to burn the book myself, if it weren’t for the fact we need it.”

Blueblood released a breath he hadn’t realised he’d been holding. “That. Was. Dreadful. Though there is one thing that I don’t understand; if Auntie tried to get rid of all his experiments, how do we know any of what happened?”

Truly glanced back, surprised yet again. I should really give him more credit... “Look at the book’s cover, Sir, and tell me what you see.”

Blueblood pulled a disgusted face as he levitated the book out of Truly’s saddlebag, staring at it intently. “...I don’t understand, what am I meant to be seeing here? All there is on it is a lot of patterns and a gem embedded in the middle.”

“That gem,” Truly explained, “Is one of the many magical batteries Starswirl made. Coupled with the spell woven into the pattern, Starswirl enchanted that book so it would write itself using whatever was said. Look in the last few pages.”

Blueblood flipped them open and began to read.

“Enough of this Starswirl! This has gone on far enough!”

“How can you say that, Celestia, I’m so close to bringing by darling Crystal back!” *stomp* “Everything I’ve done, I’ve done for her, for the two of us! We will be together again, just you wait and see!”

“Don’t you feel any remorse for those ponies you killed in the process, Starswirl?”

“THEY ARE NOT MY CRYSTAL!”

Blueblood looked up, a grim look on his face. “I...see.”

Truly nodded. “Yeah... it’s actually kind of amazing that his love for her was that strong, even if what he did was so wrong.” He snorted. “Heh, that rhymed...”

That earned him a glare from Blueblood. “How can you joke around when we’re talking of such things? What he did was despicable!”

Truly glared back. “Don’t forget just what it is we’re about to do, Blueblood, and all for your petty revenge against those mares.”

Blueblood’s eyes narrowed. “I don’t like your tone. He and I are nothing alike.”

“Mm, you’re right...” Truly muttered under his breath, so that Blueblood couldn’t hear, “he had love as an excuse for his actions.”


Back with Jack...

Eventually, the edge of the forest gave way to a large clearing, narrowly bordered by the trees of the forest, but filled with a vast swathe of various flowers, herbs and berry bushes. Jack’s gaze, however, was not drawn to any of this.

His eyes were drawn to the pink-maned pegasus in the middle of the clearing, singing to a crowd of critters, with a beatific smile gracing her muzzle.

Jack dimly recognised her as one of the ponies from whom he had fled from before, but that thought was instantly shunted to the back of his brain, his ears clamouring for control.

As quietly as a wooden wolf could, Rowan lowered himself down onto his haunches once more. <She comes here quite often, and cares for the other animals in these parts. Though we have little love for ponies, this one... this one is worthy of our respect. Few other ponies would do what she does.>

Rowan nodded his head toward the Pegasus. <You want to make a good impression on pony kind? Then I’d suggest starting by talking to her.>

Jack nodded, but clearly hadn’t been paying attention to the words of his wooden friend. All his attention was still on the brightly-coloured pegasus hovering before him.

Finishing her song with a happy sigh, Fluttershy lowered herself to the ground amidst the various applauses of her animal friends, from her dear Angel’s frantic foot-stomping to Mr Bearsley’s slow, thudding paw-slapping. She bowed, blushing a little. “Oh, thank you my friends...”

Fluttershy spent a few moments thanking her animal friends, as they started off to do whatever it is animals do. Soon enough, Fluttershy was alone in the clearing, a wide smile gracing her face.

Clap.Clap. Clap.

Fluttershy froze. All her animal friends had left, hadn’t they?

Slowly, she wheeled around.

Standing before her, just at the edge of the forest, was the creature that had ambled into town only a few days before. It was clapping, but that wasn’t what caught her attention the most. It was the broad smile on its face, and the moistness around its eyes.

Carefully, cautiously, it began to move closer to her. Fluttershy found herself doing likewise, caught between fascination with this new animal, and cautiousness over how it had dealt with Rainbow Dash in order to escape.

“That...” Fluttershy stiffened as it spoke, though she didn’t flee; the tone it used was soft, careful, and Fluttershy found herself calmed by it a little too. “That was beautiful.”

Inadvertently, she found herself blushing, and hid behind her fringe. “Uhm... th-thanks...”

Slowly it brought a paw towards her. “I’m Jack.”

“ ‘m Fluttershy...”

Jack tilted his head. “Sorry, didn’t catch that.”

“ ‘m Fluttershy.”

“Flutter...shy?”

Nod.

Fluttershy brought her hoof up haltingly to meet Jack’s paw. Gently, he shook her hoof, smiling. “It’s nice to meet you Fluttershy.”

His expression turned a little sheepish. “Sorry I ran away before, but... I panicked a bit. New place, weird creatures I didn’t recognise that could talk...” he blinked, then slapped one paw into its face. “Ugh, pot calling the kettle black, isn’t it?”

Fluttershy frowned gently, confused. “What do you mean?”

“I mean, that from my point of view, you were the weird talking creatures, when from your point of view I’M the weird one,” He explained, lowering himself to the ground with a grunt, shifting to rest on his back, placing an odd box he had been carrying on the ground reverentially. Fluttershy opted to just sit next to him.

“O-oh, I see. I suppose so. N-not that you’re weird, w-well, you’re different, but I just... Oh, I’m so sorry!” Fluttershy panicked, only to freeze as Jack softly placed a finger over her lips, smiling.

“Shh... I know what you meant to say, it’s alright.” He chuckled. “and it’s nice to see you’re so friendly around me. I was half-expecting to get chased again.”

“You were?” She asked, surprised.

“Well, yeah. I mean, I’m not normal to all you ponies, and I... well, I guess I attacked one of your friends to escape. Sorry about that, by the way.” Jack looked down.

“Oh, don’t worry, she’s fine. Rainbow thought it was pretty awesome what you did, actually.” Fluttershy giggled.

Jack laughed with her. “She did? Wow, that’s a surprise.”

For a few moments, the two sat in silence.

“...That really was beautiful singing, by the way.”

Fluttershy blushed again. “Thanks. Do you sing?”

Jack chuckled. “From time to time. I prefer playing my violin.”

“You have a violin? But, where did you get it from?” Fluttershy queried, confused.

Jack grinned. “I brought it with me from home.” And with that, he started to explain his situation.

Throughout the story, Fluttershy remained silent, save for a small exclamation when the timberwolves were mentioned. Once Jack was done she sat in thought, just as quiet as she had been before. Eventually, she spoke up.

“So, the reason the timberwolves attacked us... was just to scare us away from their food? Why didn’t they say anything before?”

Jack pondered this for a moment, fiddling with the fastener on his violin case. “Maybe they didn’t feel that the cost of magic to talk to your minds outweighed the cost of any magic they used up to chase you? Or maybe they just didn’t feel they could trust ponies.” With practiced ease, he cracked open the case, taking the violin out, setting it to his shoulder and starting to play.

“...Thanks again, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy looked around. “For what?”

Jack laughed softly. “For not freaking out.”

Side by side, the two sat in piece, violin music wafting through the air, just enjoying the peace of the day.


Jack smiled wistfully as he waved after Fluttershy. The animal caretaker eventually had to leave to feed the animals she kept at her house, but she had promised to come and talk again sometime, giving a hoof movement with it Jack found both curious and amusing.

Jack stretched, cracking his joints as he did so. It had been nice to just sit and enjoy the afternoon with another... well, another being.

Scooping up his violin and case, Jack looked around. He half-expected Rowan to still be sitting in the treeline, where he’d left off. Unsurprisingly though, Rowan had left. Presumably to help gather more apples, Jack thought. Ah well, I’m not too far from a zap apple patch, they’ll probably be there...

Before Jack could get more than a few meters into the undergrowth, however, the sound of rustling leaves made him pause.

“Rowan? That you?” He called out.

For a few moments, nothing but silence reigned in the forest. Jack shrugged, and resumed his passage through the forest. Still, something made him feel uneasy.

Rustlerustlerustle...

Jack stopped. There it was again...

Slowly, he crouched down, lowering his centre of gravity, preparing to defend from anything.

Of course, it does help if the “anything” doesn’t have magic.

Jack’s world span as a copper-coloured cloud of magic hoisted him into the air. Disoriented, he cried out, only for his mouth to be slammed shut by the caster. That didn’t stop Jack from thrashing around and trying to shout for Rowan though.

“You heard what they were talking about, this thing’s got an alliance with the Timberwolves. There’ll be no time for the spell if they’re looking for it, so we’ve got to get back to Canterlot now!”

A second, more snobby sounding voice groaned at this. “You mean there was no point to lugging this book along with us?”

“I don't know why you're complaining about it, I was the one carrying it!" The first voice snapped. "We've no time for this Sir, we’ve got to go now before the wolves come for this thing. Either you take the beast from me and I teleport us, or I keep hold of it and you teleport us.”

“Ugh, very well, but you’d better make sure that thing stays silent. We don't want anypony hearing us...”

In one wrenching moment of magical manipulation, the three figures disappeared from the forest in a flash of light.

The only traces there had been anything there before were a few muddy hoofprints, a violin case, and a violin, smashed asunder as the abductors had moved in.

Once again, silence reigned in the forest...


(1) Cancelled this night, of course. Luna was every bit as capable as her sister, but not knowing quite what she would experience in the forest had prompted her to free up the rest of the night, just in case.

(2) Well, if your ears were composed of wood, twigs and leaves, they’d rustle and make noise when they moved too.

Author's Note:

Hi all, time to address any issues you and I have or may have with this thing.
Yes, I know Celestia’s been falling asleep a lot, but when you have to opportunity to sleep after so long without it... you’re bound to fall asleep more often, right? up until you catch up with your sleep, at least. More sensible reasons aside, it’s actually fun to write her like that, it makes her more normal, rather than an infallible goddess princess character. I prefer my characters to be believable, human if you will, not china-doll levels of perfect.
I also know that there’s been a lot of places where Jack's had to explain his past, but you’d have to do that to anyone who wonders where you’re from.
The pacing of all this is a bit dodgy, in my opinion, but I work by a system that boils down to “get a decent plot-point made per chapter, and try not to have it spread over several chapters.” This approach will of course have to be remedied as the story progresses to the more exciting bits later on. No more spoilers from me though.
And, now for a big apology; I'm sorry that it took so long to get this chapter out. I'd make my excuses, but at the end of the day it still means the story wasn't updated until now, so sorry again.
The good news from all this though, is I may be posting other stories In the very near future for you to enjoy while I work on further chapters. Another plus is, in this part of the story, the main setup is complete, so from here-on in it should be pretty serious stuff.

As always, all MLP and related characters belong to Hasbro, Jack, the Timberwolf characters and the odd interpretation of Starswirl the Bearded's life (hope that explains how exactly he went loopy, Rikusorasephiroth) belong to me, and, for today's interesting feature, consider the following; 100% of people who breathe will die. Does this mean correlation between two data sets means something? No, it's no guarantee at all, not unless you can prove a link in another way. Food for thought next time you see any other statistic.

Anyways, thanks for reading yet again, bigger thanks for being so patient, and see you all in the next chapter!

Comments ( 37 )

. . . Really.

After so long, THAT kind of cliffhanger is what you left us with.

. . . DRYIFTUOOLEFGREFRUYaSDKLUJnMDJFuiqgalS:HufUIWERPFUCKFTRHGEaSIEWP:HnEWDSDE:FHTU:"?JCDFn:GODDAMMITBHDYfgUKTALSbSDLYHVFDSL><N BHJLb:LERGH!

I liked it. There was a lot in just one chapter so the pace of everything that happened felt a little rushed; as if there were some details that were scrimped off. Some characters were quick touch-and-go. Honestly, I'm okay with that. At least for a few chapters. Personally I'm picky when it comes to a story's pacing but in this case I'm just nitpicking. It's about time some plot started flowing.

Sometimes authors write only 1,500 word chapters where way too many things happen at once. Ex: like he shows up, falls in love, turns into a pony, fights and defeats a bad guy, gets a party thrown in his honor and that's just the first chapter. On the other hand, some people will waste 4 chapters 11,000 words long and 3 months writing too many details over what happens to a character in just ONE freaking afternoon. It takes an author a whole year just to get through one part of just the first story arc. Drives me nuts because a damn good story slowly grinds to a halt. :twilightangry2:

Too bad about the violin. :ajsleepy:

I kind of hope that this attack directly from royalty digs a deep hole between him and the other royals.

question how will you see me in your story that you wrote ?

I´m one of the supporters of the theory "Starswirl experimented with forbidden magic, went nuts and became Discord".

3398879 who says she's impersonating? In this iteration of the MLP-verse, she might well be one of the creator's children, we just don't know (and yes, that includes me, the story's not all planned out yet, so many details have yet to be filled out).
ALTERNATIVE ANSWER: if you meant the Timberwolves, "Mother of All" is very much an honorific title for Gaea. seeing as she created everything, in a sense she can be seen as the mother of all. So, no impersonation, just an interesting description of her.

Nice chapter. May I please open up a rift in the fabric of reality and punch Prince Blueblood in the face now? Maybe punch Truly too for good measure?

You are one of the first few ponies that met him, Blueblood.
He will rationalize that you were there the whole time listening in and that you are a pony bounty hunter who decided to hunt him himself because there was a beast in the woods, when it probably hasn't even been more than a week.
You just set the example that ponies are overzealous pieces of shit. Good job, Blueballs.

I don't think that he and the ponies will live happily ever after any time soon. And that is just the way I like it!

THIS IS GON B GUD.

If you actually KEEP WRITING MORE anyway...

so... Starswirl turned into King Sombra, enslaving ponies and calling for his "Crystal"?

3485073 surprisingly, only after writing that chapter did I notice that. I'm not sure whether or not to make it part of my canon, but maybe, maybe... you'll just have to be patient and see what turns up.

3485090 you can lead everyone into thinking they are the same, and then tell us how OBVIOUSLY they have no relation, seeing as King sombra had no beard....

3485133 well, maybe he shaved. Surely they have razors in Equestria, right? else Big Mac and Mr Cake would have massive beards by now too, I'd imagine, along with every other male pony.

GOOD JOB M8

So, have you given up on this? or have you just hit a 16-week Writer's-Block?

3973716 combination writer's block/hiatus/mind bouncing around more than pinkie on sugar high. that doesn't mean I'm not trying to write on the odd times I find some sort of creative mood though. it's just proving to be a long time in the making, is all. I've not given up at all. you'll see, Jack'll be back someday!

3974558 I know that feeling, friend. Know it all too well.

*ahem*

:pinkiegasp:

UPDATES, SO SWEET AND TASTY, UPDATES, DON'T BE TOO HASTY, UPDATES UPDATES UPDATES!!!!!1

UUUUUUUPPPPPDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTEEEEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Soooooooooo... Amibos...

5424345 Amibos? aren't they that Nintendo figurine thing?

5424603 Yeah... Smash WiiU is my first smash brothers...

5855743 There's somehting called canon.

5861786 I might need some clarification here, where in Canon is the discussion of the mortality or immortality of the princesses? I may have missed that episode if it is indeed canon. I was under the belief that there was nothing of the sort. also, please bear in mind this was written back between... season 2 and 3, I think? before princess twilight, certainly, so any canon from that point onwards can be considered void.

5861838

Mind control spells that force someone to do something are completely unacceptable, in fact the existence of such a thing is terrifying. The will to use such a thing to any end should be punishable by execution.

If both Blueblood and Faithful get off with any less, I shall rage.

5861838

Look at season 1 episode 1 it implies that they are immortal since celestia raised the moon with Luna a thousand years ago. I believe the topic is also touched upon in passing in some episodes. I don't know which ones.

Also depends on what you think about immortality. Is it the inability to die, or just having a very long life.

You might already know this since I've just gotten to your story... So sorry if this is irrelivent right now but I can't see into your life to know if you've known this...

6562415 actually, your info is the first I've really had of any particular clarity of what people are thinking. okay, time to break into my Headcanon to give clarification. bear in mind, now you've broached that topic, this may end up as spoilers if I pick this up again. well, you've been warned. here goes...;

Spoilers!
Yes, Celestia and Luna are long-lived, and virtually gods in their own right. However, certain details have faded from public knowledge about them. Firstly... well, they're not the first. Before them came Solaris and Artemis, well over 1000 years back, just as before Gaia would have been another who, I'm sorry to say, I haven't worked out a good name for yet. likewise, any other gods out in the world would have been from a similar chain of beings with identical powers.
Y'see, the thing is, these "gods", living among their flock, suffer from the greatest pain possible; time. As time passes, their minds grow weary of seeing the passing of countless generations pass, seeing the world change, having such little that they can cling to that will endure. Eventually, gods choose to move to another plane, void of the ravages of time, where they can just exist, in the presence of others like themselves.
However, the world demands balance, harmony if you will, and gods have to appoint a successor to their powers and abilities. This drastic increase in strength and power to a previously mortal soul can have... less than ideal repercussions in the short term though... (well, short for immortals, at least)


So! there you go, hope that clears up that little bit of headcanon lore you're missing.

6562493 its alright. Spoilers have never ruined anything for me unless I was just about to get there in a couple seconds.

And your gods sound very similar to mine exept a new god is born when a god decides to take on a mortal shell... Or they're killed by humans.

Gods are made from human souls and thus a god will remember his or her past life and tend to take on the age they died as when interacting with the mortal world.

This is a different universes gods

:flutterrage:More chapters!!!!!! if thats ok with you?:fluttershyouch:

(1) Cancelled this night, of course. Luna was every bit as capable as her sister, but not knowing quite what she would experience in the forest had prompted her to free up the rest of the night, just in case.

Cancelled

noooooo!

Login or register to comment