• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 3,745 Views, 21 Comments

Nightmare's Eve - Lynked



Nightmare Moon's back, but under a very, very different guise.

  • ...
2
 21
 3,745

Nightmare's Eve

Nightmare's Eve

Come little ponies; yes, gather round. I, Twilight Sparkle, have a story much profound.

So you Scoots, and Sweetie and Applebloom, come listen to this new Hearth’s Warming tune.

I’ve tended to the fire, no doubt we’ll we warm, to combat the snow; oh, what a storm.

But here safe and sound, listen well would you? Because this story is of a... stranger hue.

T’was Hearth’s Warming Eve, and the snow fell so boring, not a creature was noisy, not even Dash’s snoring,

But the merry cheer of the Eve was gone for the night, and oh dear, it was a fright!

The ponies this year, last it was I think, were not at all happy, not even if they were Pink(ie),

For you see one had returned, so evil and lewd, whose name just so happened to be Nightmare Moon!

But that was before, before the snow and the ice, and long after her defeat, in exile she paid her vice,

In Luna’s mind she would have stayed, if it had not been for the simple fact, that Luna had plans in mind, and for something exact,

You see, little foals, after defeat she could clearly see, that the Eve had lost all of its glee,

Tired of the spiteful creature in the back of her mind, she declared the Nightmare would bring back cheer to all pony-kind,

But she was still Nightmare Moon, little ones, so this mission of hers would be hardly fun,

Now listen:

~NME~

“I will not, you foal. You are not the one to order me! I will not spread ‘cheer’, even with the fact that I’ll be free!” the Nightmare hissed, stomping her hoof into the dust of the erie, silent, desolate white wastes. A plume of ashy dust rose, only to silently drift back down to rest.

Luna glared at the black creature before her, glaring into the alicorn’s eyes. “Outside this mind of mine is much suffering and drear, because thine misdeeds have stolen everypony’s cheer! Thou will do as I say, or there will be much to pay! Thou hast left me already in a state of rage, and now you will fix it all and not dally another day!”

The silent moon stared upon the saddened Equestria as a blanket of white, soft, silent snow covered it. Upon the moon, white as it was too, these mares ignored the snowy land below. Instead their eyes remained locked as their manes billowed in the invisible breeze.

“Do you not know, that a pony like me has no kindness to show! I refuse to be nice to these little foals! I’ll do nothing but leave them lumps of coal!” She bared her teeth in a scowl, watching Luna return the gesture. She’d not do this; what an indignation! How incredibly awful Luna must be to suggest this abomination of an idea!

“Then you shall remain on the moon, where only in sorrow will you ever loom! I offer you a chance to change your heart, now won’t thy please change what thou art?” Luna sighed, and changed her expression from a scowl to a soft frown.

“I am what I mean to be! A goddess, a ruler! Who cares if I am free?” Nightmare Moon let out a roarous laugh. Luna returned a glare made of icy daggers, colder than Equestria’s mountain peaks in December.

“You misunderstand, dost thou not see? I care not of thy desire to be free. Thou wilt do this, I’ll hear no more! Enough of this useless abhor. Thy will learn a lesson in fixing thy wrongs, and when thou’st return, thy will hum a different song. You shall see, upon your return.” A bright light flashed from the tip of Luna’s horn, and a streak of teal magic leapt into space. There was a rip like fabric tearing, and then a slit appeared, painted in which was Luna’s bedchambers. “For now, you shall come, for there is much to do before you adjourn.”

~NMC~

‘But Twilight, but Twilight,’ I’ll answer Scootaloo. What question is it you coo?

“Why did Nightmare Moon not put up a fight?” Well, Luna was in no mood to dally this night.

The Eve was fast approaching, they had only days! So much cheer to spread, they best not delay!

Nightmare Moon was taken from Luna’s mind, forced into reality against her binds,

Luna by now had been working her magical sight, to visit each and every pony each and every night,

Seeing what all the good little fillies and colts dreamt of, to find the toys and dolls that they would all love,

And now with her list, of those naughty and nice, she would redeem Nightmare Moon, though she rejected the idea thrice,

Who put up such a struggle to be nice to little fillies like you, but in the end, that being before the Eve’s nice, Luna did make her lose,

She found herself on borrowed powers, without her own, and if she did want them back, to Luna her time she would loan,

With the Nightmare in the dip of her hoof, Luna’s plans would not go aloof,

Now there was but one thing to do, before bringing cheer: get the Nightmare ready for the journey that was near.

Listen:

~NMC~

Nightmare Moon stood before a mirror, under the scrutinizing eye of two guards, Luna, and Celestia herself. The tailor had fled at the first sign of dismissal, leaving the five ponies in the grand parlor alone. Celestia sat by the fire, keeping a watchful eye on Nightmare Moon. Luna, on the other hoof, was beside the Nightmare, aiding her before the mirror.

The two guards talked amongst themselves. “I hear, did you know, that Nightmare Moon is to put on quite a show...”

“Indeed,” said the other, glancing out the window to the snow. “Perhaps she’ll prove to not be so low.”

“My foal has not been happy, for I’ve been away,” said the first.

The second nodded. “Perhaps this spectacle will brighten up her day.”

Nightmare Moon scowled, but turned not around, keeping her gaze focused intently in the mirror, scouring her garnered body and noting that she looked less like a god, and more like a toy doll. “Tell me Luna, if you would, how will these... rags, increase my good?”

“I’ll tell you again, as I’ve told you before, it is a cold winter to go from door to door.” Luna patted down the rest of the red fabric that was wrapped tightly around Nightmare Moon’s body, being especially sure to fluff the white, puffy fluff around the edges of her neck and legs. “This shall keep thy body warm, and help you to good transform. A cute outfit, befitting of a mare bringing glee; ponies will joy as you ride alee.”

“Ride you say?”

“Yes, in a sleigh,” Luna replied, finishing her tugs at Nightmare Moon’s collar.

“And how do you expect me to spread cheer, to all these ponies before the new year? You’ve stripped me of my powers, so joy I cannot spread in few hours!” Nightmare Moon exclaimed, snarling yet again. Luna huffed and rolled her eyes, stepping away from the mirror and joining her sister by the fire.

“Dear Celestia here has been hard away, making presents night and day,” Luna explained.

Celestia nodded. “Though it is to my guards whom you owe the thanks, for the toys were made from their labor and pains.”

The two guards by the large window took a curt bow, then proceeded to continue with their conversation.

“You will deliver these gifts, and not a house you shall miss!” Luna said. Nightmare Moon snorted and whipped off the red and white had that sat atop her head, picking it from the ground by the white ball of fur on its tip. She then joined Luna and Celestia by the fire, and how tempting it was to throw the clothes into the blaze! If not under the ever-looking gaze of Celestia (for Luna seemed too enthralled in her idea that holiday cheer could be brought in a matter of hours) she would have done so, and much more! Why, she’d throw the entirety of Canterlot into a fire! For now, however, she just sat and stared idly into the flickering, snapping flames, as the snow outside grew thicker and thicker.

Behind them all, the guards continued talking.

“Do you really believe that she can get the gifts to every foal?”

“I do not know,” replied his companion, “but I’d respect her if she’d just make it her goal!”

~NMC~

Well little foals, as you can see, it was not Nightmare Moon’s intent to spread such glee.

She hated the foals, despised the gifts, and were it not for the careful watch of Celestia, she’d go into tifts!

Such was her despise, for her new place, she’d rather have just remained on her moon, in her own caste,

But the Eve was upon them soon, and on this she did loom,

And Luna told her not once, not twice, but thrice to be not naughty but nice!

So they climbed and they climbed, with Nightmare in her festive garment, to the top of the highest tower, where there was one sleigh and three guards under one harness.

These pegasi growled and glared at Nightmare Moon, how returned the stare, but Luna paid no mind, instead pushing her into their care.

List--

Yes, Sweetie, I see your hoof raised! What comment do you wished answered and praised?

“But what of the presents, aren’t there so many?” But of course there are, but there are solutions aplenty.

I’ll tell you now, so hush, be still, of the night Nightmare Moon, came to Ponyville.

Listen:

~NMC~

Nightmare Moon sat in the red sleigh, while the pegasi guards ahead got comfortable in their jingling harnesses. The simple fact that they produced such an obnoxious noise, and that they would do so, was almost enough to make her attempt escape. But here she was, in this sleigh, warm in her suit despite the chill of the snow and night. The brown bag next to her glowed faintly of blue; Luna’s magic, enchanting it to make it contain every present any foal could want.

“Just reach in, it shall know, just what present, to put up for show. Thy must be off soon, and do make haste! So many to visit, many presents to be placed!” Luna, with a large smile gleaming across her face, looked up to the sky. The clouds were thick, snowing down to add to the inch or so of soft, glowing blanket that was already laden across the flat spire-top.

“Fine, I shall go,” Nightmare Moon grumbled. “But where to first, tell me, lo!”

“First to Canterlot, Trottingham, then Fillydelphia thou shalt be,” Luna said, testing the wind with her snout. The cold burned her nostrils, but she continued to smile and gleam. “Then to Las Pegasas, Ponyville, then to home as a different mare, you’ll see.”

Nightmare Moon arched an eyebrow, to which Luna simply grinned and whipped out a large slab of rolled up parchment. “I’ve mapped it out here you see, so use this. It will be of much aid on your trip.”

“Then I’ll be off, to spread this ‘joy and cheer’. But when I return, with you I’ll have jeer. My powers and freedom are what I require, if you wish to make this night go unmired...” she warned.

Luna simply nodded, almost too easily, and stepped back from the sleigh. “Thine powers you shall have, if thou’st takes leave now! On guards, on one, on two, on all and on bow!”

The sleigh gave a mighty jerk, and Nightmare Moon was thrust back, as the vessel lifted off, and careened into the dark night of Hearth’s Warming Eve.

The wind in her face, Nightmare Moon gripped the sides of the sleigh tight, for her life seemed to depend on it! The wind howled and burnt and whipped at her as the guards flew recklessly into the night. “Slow, slow I say! I wish to live to see another day!”

They did not hear, and the ride continued to twist and curve. Heart pounding faster than the drums of Hearth’s Warming Eve, she searched and searched for a way to not be flung from her sleigh. It swung and swept and twisted over the smoking chimneys and dark homes of Canterlot city. Oh by her own name! She’d surely never get her powers back if she were to not get back at all!

Across the sky she flew, faster than a pegasus or a rainboom, with the aid of the guards and the terror of a foal falling down the first time. But wait! What was that, that just glistened in the brief flicker of moonlight that had pierced the clouds? Reins? Were those reigns!

Quickly she gripped the reins, and thankfully, they were indeed attached to the guards! A devilish smile crept on her face as she readjusted her fuzzy hat and warm, red clothes. Then, she gave a hard jerk to the lines, driving the sleigh down to the first home on the list.

“Come one, all smile!” she cried. “Nightmare Moon will make this Eve all the more worthwhile!”

~NME~

Oh little fillies, I tell you this right now; Nightmare Moon is nothing, if she is not proud.

She brought down the sleigh, and thumped upon the roofs. Not a pony knew what happened, but they were scared out of their hooves!

Imagine now if Nightmare Moon wiggled down the hearth! Would that be enough to set a stop into your heart?

But she came with presents, despite her menacing grin. She set them by the hearth, underneath their slumbering chins!

Then she leapt back up, with the borrowed magic, and back into her sleigh, and oh the rides were tragic!

But she stayed focused, true to her word, and soon never a sound was heard.

She was making good to her bill, when soon, she found herself here in Ponyville.

Now comes our story, little fillies for you to learn, something of the pony spirit, of gaining in return.

All Nightmare Moon ever did was give, be that hate or joy or dread, but when she came to Ponyville, she got something for the Eve instead.

Lis--

“But Twilight! If she was here last Hearth’s Warming Eve, how come I ain’t never heard her, not no thump or thud or peep?”

Well I’ll tell you Applebloom, by now she was very crafty, but one things she could not escape, was natural pony empathy.

Listen:

~NME~

Here she was again, in the house of a little filly, in the nowhere town called Ponyville. She brought the annoying sack across her back, stepping out from the cold hearth. She was not alight with fire, but then, that was magic again at its finest. But here, where was she? This was a strange home, unlike the others. So empty, unfestive, no cheer to appear to the naked eye.

She scanned the room; it seemed to be a living room, but was too dark. And the fire, here, was out, making the room icy and bitter, much like the howling snowstorm outside the window. “Who lives here, I wonder, in the cold and dark and empty. If I were to care, I daresay I call pity.”

Soon she simply shrugged and began rummaging through the sack, preparing to set more gifts beside the hearth for whatever nonsensical foal would claim them tomorrow. Rest they well, too! Tomorrow, while they open their toys and cheer and whoop, she would reclaim her place as queen, and--

Wait! Clopping, coming from the room behind her! It was dark, too dark to see, but there came a light from a passageway just outside the small, homey living room she stood in. It grew larger and larger--the first she’d seen all night. Company, she thought. Hooray.

But in came a small purple foal, tiny and tired, whose head was barely staying above the floor. Nightmare Moon glared at this foal, wishing it to leave! But it would not go! It only started up to her with glossy, tired eyes, a candle firmly in its mouth.

She scowled at it, glaring ice that could turn a normal pony to a glacier. “What foolish foal you are, get back to sleep! I command it; I have more tasks to keep!”

“Who are you, miss? And why are you in my house? I see presents, but I don’t know you; why do you bring presents, if you don’t have to?”

Nightmare Moon opened her mouth to curse this filly down, but instead, found herself staring simply into its soft eyes. “Tell me girl, what is your name? Have I a present worthy of your fame?”

“Pinia Colada, but Berry just calls me Cherry Berry. We haven’t got any parents, but it doesn’t stop us from being merry. Why are you mad, miss? Don’t you know what it is?”

“Hearth’s Warming Eve, little foal, it is. Here, take your gift, take this.” She reached in the bag and pulled out a long gift wrapped in sparkling pink paper. “A present, I know not of it’s inside. Take care of your sister, and...” She paused, but with no apparent reason. The words just did not come to her. “Have a merry night.”

She turned to go, but a little hoof landed on her leg. A surge of heat rushed through her, and she prepared to stomp, but it was hard with a little filly wrapping her tightly in a hug. “Thank you tall mare, we don’t get much presents. Berry and me are going to love it’s content!”

Nightmare Moon returned the hug, but only to get the filly away. Quick as she came, she leapt up the chimney, eager to leave the tired, happy eyes of that little foal behind. Into the sleigh she leapt, yanking at the reins, and whipping off to another home.

~NME~

Indeed that was your young friend she visited that night, who received not even a fright,

From the great Nightmare Moon; it seemed that her ridiculous clothes were working their swoon.

Or perhaps it was that the ponies of Ponyville, not having much, were excited for this special Hearth’s Warming Eve touch.

Listen:

~NME~

So here she was again, in the home of another filly, whose name she did not yet know. This home was as dark as the last; the ponies here were surely living in some sort of agony! And, admittedly, on her flights she had seen ponies with only frowns, sadness, and contempt. Even in the Canterlot homes, she had heard arguments a few times! Ponies were mad, all of them.

Nightmare Moon sighed and began to work, digging deep in her bag and rummaging through the presents it saw fit to annoy her with, before finally grabbing a large box and pulling it free with slight strain. She fumbled with her balance, swaying to and fro for a moment, before setting the box down before the hearth with a hollow thump.

But just as she was about to sling her sack over her back once again, there was something that grabbed her attention. Yes, there, on the corner of the mantel. Standing on two folds, it was a card, very decorated and sparkling. A fire of curiousity sparked in her mind, drawing her close to it, forcing her to reach out. It was possibly the only sign of holiday spirit she’d seen so far, in any of the towns she’s visited. If she had to do this, the ponies should at least have had the common decency to prepare!

Carefully she opened it and bent down to read it in the dark. The writing was crude, in crayon it seemed. What did it say?

Mommy,
Don’t get upsot upset because ponys laffed at your eyes. They are just bug meany-pies. I lu love you, so no more sad! its hearths warming eve, so please dont be sad!
-Dinky

Nightmare Moon gently set the card down atop the mantle, swallowing dryly. “Little foal, I envy you. For your mother, I’m sure it is lucky too.” Suddenly, the sack bulged, weighing her to her right and indeed almost dragging her to the floor. She cursed at this bag, for it was against her! Even still, she breathed in and out, and reached in to pull out yet another large present, this one untagged. Still, the bag wanted her to put it here, and Luna had told her that the bag knew what it was doing. She snatched the sack up and headed for the chimney, swearing to the heavens that she’d torch it later to warm up.

Even still as she rose up the chimney, though, her mind remained on that tiny little card addressed to a saddened mother.

~NME~

So you see, my little ponies, Nightmare Moon found something else, not just a heart so stony.

She took it well, for a mare of her stature, with no anger or hatred, but more with nature.

Continuing about Ponyville on her final mission, the light of day coming soon, she landed at the final house, under the last glimpse of the moon.

This house she realized something, and something true it was, and now my little ponies, her heart is not as it t’was.

Listen:

~NME~

And here she was, the final house of her run, before she could return to her powers, and eventually, her throne. She could feel the magic inside her throat as she slid down the chimney, a grin across her face. Landing with a thud, in yet another out hearth, she found herself in perhaps the most lavish house in the town, with smooth flooring for once, warmth, and a bit of holiday spirit in the form of garnish.

But things were not well here. There, by the window, was a foal, completely unaware of Nightmare Moon’s presence. How dare this insolent foal not acknowledge--

Those sounds, those soft sounds, sounded just like tiny sobs. In the dim, early twilight, the pink filly here sat by her window, alone. Her mane was frazzled and her coat was clumped as she buried her face deep into her hooves, trying her hardest to muffle her little sobs.

Yes, Nightmare Moon had seen this before. It was hard to forget it when an alicorn cried. And yet, there was the chimney, too, and by now it was looking very, very enticing. “Who would know,” she muttered to herself, “if I simply left this mare below? I could leave now, with my dignity intact, and take my powers and my throne back...”

In fact, that sounded rather nice to her. All the power at her hoof, and all she had to do was slide up that chimney, throw the sack out of the sled, and head back home. To her home. Canterlot. Her kingdom.

And yet, she did not step back towards her escape. After all, and this was good reasoning; what was a kingdom with unhappy citizens? Surely things would not be efficient. And besides, she had a bit of time to spare.

Huffing and cursing the bit of morality that rooted in her over the night, she and the bag settled down by this tiny filly. “Tell me, little one, what ails you to stay up to greet the sun?”

The filly jerked greatly, gasping and staring at the new intruder, falling to the floor and twitching. “Who are you, and how are you here? Y-you just wait ‘til my father hears!”

“Oh quite young girl, I’m the god of the night, now won’t you just tell me why your morning is not bright?” she asked, looking down at the little filly and blowing the fluffy white bauble from her face.

“Y-you’re a princess? I-I did not know. Please forgive how I’ve acted so.” The filly righted herself and bowed before Nightmare Moon. “I am Diamond Tiara, at your service.”

“Allow me to ask why you are so nervous,” she responded. “I am dressed like a clown, and have run errands at all hours, so tell me now, quickly, what is it that your mind scours?”

The filly glanced out the window, watching the pink rays of fresh sunlight skitter across the fresh palette of snow. “It’s just... my father, he loves me, don’t think he does not. He’ll buy me anything, a carriage, a necklace, whatnot. I just want one thing this Eve, and money cannot buy it.”

“I may just have it,” Nightmare Moon said, throwing the sack before her. But, alas, when she reached in and dug deep, it was as empty and barren as the snowy lands of Equestria! There was nothing left, no presents or cheer! Did this pony get no present at all? And others called her awful!

She turned back to Diamond Tiara. “What is it, foal, that money cannot buy? I’ll see what I can do, that I’ll surely try.”

“Money cannot buy all the bonds I always rend. What I really want, just once, for real, is a real friend. I’m a bully, you know, and I am sorry for being so. But it’s hard to live up to the status quo. Father expects much from me, and I find it unfair. I just shouldn’t unleash it to any other mare...”

Nightmare Moon nodded slowly, not caring about the bauble for once that night. Her gaze, too, joined Diamond Tiara in staring at the twilight as it grew lighter, and the sun crested the hills beyond the quaint little town.

“I know your trouble, that I surely do. I tell you this now, I felt the same that you have, too. Come little filly, my life will not soon end.” She spread out a wing and draped it over the little foal. “Me, you may surely call your friend.”

They locked eyes, and for once, the first to smile was Nightmare Moon. Then, following was Diamond Tiara, and soon came a small fit of giggles. Suddenly the bag swelled, poofing to Diamond Tiara’s height. Nightmare Moon retracted her wing and threw open the bag, revealing to the little filly a large present.

“For you, not me. Just don’t peak until I leave. I must go, so I leave you for now. But... be good this year, and I’ll come back somehow.”

And so she left up the chimney, leaving Diamond Tiara with a smile on both of their faces. Nightmare Moon reclaimed her space in the sleigh, yanked on the reins, and commanded the guards to return to Canterlot.

And finally, finally, she lit the forsaken sack ablaze. It was the warmest thing she’d ever felt.

~NME~

And so that concludes this tale, my little ponies, of a mare so cold and a heart so stony,

That learned a thing or two on that fateful night, of what is wrong and what is right.

Nightmare Moon returned to Canterlot warmly, and though it took a while, she was accepted in the family, and she has been for quite awhile.

So, then, be good all year and bring Hearth’s Warming cheer, because on the Eve, just wait, you’ll see, Nightmare Moon will be back to bring gifts to you and me.

The End.

...

“Excuse me, Twilight Sparkle,” Nightmare Moon said, gathering her sack up and preparing to head back to her sleigh. “I don’t think that’s how it went.”

Comments ( 21 )

I ran out of rhymes :trixieshiftright: Anyways, have a little story for the holidays!

1835461 That is the most adorable pic of NM I've seen in awhile. Also,

A damn fine read sir. I do agree with 1835501, that was a great image for the story.

Sweet sun and moon, I drowned in rhymes! Tell me friend, where did you find the time?

Wow, great one. I liked it much.
Post it to EQD its impossible they won't accept it :) This art need applause.

Rev

I absolutely loved this, great work.

An excellent story. Very nice. :rainbowkiss:

Great story man.

Seriously\

moar, moar nao

1835942 It took forever, I'll not lie, and while I wrote it, I thought I'd die. My prose was so long, I dare call it purple, and my rhymes ran dry,-- [Error]

1836143 I... don't quite understand, but thank you! :twilightsheepish:

1836339>>1837574>>1837757 Thanks guys! It's always nice to know that someone appreciates the work I've done.

Happy holidays to you all! :yay:

1840191
Dang, we broke you.

Is it wierd that even though Twilight was supposed to be reading this, thanks to the rhymes I heard it in Zecora's voice? :rainbowlaugh:

1938113 snap! it was a rather interesting read I might say

AAAARGH, The Curse of Zecora has struck the poor town of Ponyville!!!!:pinkiegasp::raritydespair::twilightoops::applejackunsure::fluttershyouch::rainbowderp:

Soon, the entire population of Equestria took up arms and started chasing Zecora
"Curse us, eh? We'll make you pay!!!
We don't want to rhyme all day!!!!"

This was cute and I loved it.

Awwwww! That was such a cute story. Thank you for writing.:twilightsmile:

~TheEmpressEclipse~

Lol, good story. I didn't even read it, my sister read it allowed to me.:twistnerd:

GoP: Don't lie...

NiM: Lie about what?(Shifts side to side)

GoP: Tsunderes are cute:)

NiM: What's that supposed to mean!?

GoP: Nothing:)

This was like Christmas, happy and heartwarming.

1835673
Heartily agreed.

I am ashamed to admit that i only really read this for/ because the cover image.:ajsleepy:

Login or register to comment