• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 11,709 Views, 323 Comments

The Other Mare - SleeplessBrony



Just when Cheerilee thought meeting Twilight's mom was going to be hard...

  • ...
43
 323
 11,709
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 76 )

i love the size of your chapters. This last ones gonna keep me busy for a while. I've enjoyed this story very much & look forward to any new stuff you write in the future.

Hell to the yeah, Twilight. Hell to the yeah.

This is one of the most romantic things I've ever read, especially the last line. Maybe that makes me weird, but I don't care one bit.

Yessssssss. I cannot be much more satisfied than this. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

i.imgur.com/MfxjN.jpg?2

Good read - thanks. Hard to follow in places, though. Are you planning on following this up with another series?

Oh my, yes! I've almost forgotten what it's like to see someone use Luna in layers of dreams that crush reality in their magnitude.

An epilogue longer than most fics... :trollestia:

The whole mind screwing/multiple dream sequencing thing with Luna and the artifact got old really quickly. After a page or so of it I just gave up and scrolled down to where concrete things were actually happening again. Otherwise, nice enough ending.

THIS is what I consider to be a story, it made me think and keep up with it. I hate people who complain that a fic is too complicated.
Masterfully done as always, beautiful intimate scenes and most of all the end was just how it should be. The amount of depth every character has is dare I say too much, but ultimately this is why I loved it.
Keep up the good work wherever you might be DH

THIS is an epilogue. Hot damn that was so many things at once, good things of course.
Can't say I didn't hope Twilestlee would happen, but didn't think it would. Don't mind it one bit.

I'm going to miss this story, to be honest. Lovely epilogue, once again. :twilightsmile:

...can an OTP be a threesome? Or would that be OTT? XD

Skipping over the hot three-way scene? Tease! Tease, I say!

Now all we need is a threesome for real, not just an implied one, and this whole thing will be perfect! Yay, sleeps!

I'm confused... What exactly happened in this chapter?

Well I can read the words but at no point did I understand in which location they were and when understanding starts to dawn on me, suddenly nothing makes sense any more and they're somewhere else... There was a curse induced coma with visions? A classroom? A hospital bed? A bedroom?

It's one of those things that kept confusing me throughout this fic as if the author only cared about conveying emotion (and stuff) but never bothers to paint the surrounding. Or maybe that's the point? Idk...

Bravo! Again a wonderful story.

And now I have only one request: SEQUEL! SEUQL! SEUQEL!:pinkiehappy:

my brain hurt reading this...
like inception beyond belief...:pinkiecrazy:

Commence read.

Nicely done. :scootangel:

I hate you. Really, truly. Right now you are the enemy.

TWICE now! Twice you have avoided Twilestia clop. And it's not even really that! Your ability to show characters, and show them as deeper, more intricate beings based on their... carnal performances is incredibly interesting to read. And this makes twice you have kept from a perfect opportunity to show Celestia in that state. I want so badly to see how your characterization of her would act, how she would respond in a situation like that.

Nothin'. A dream, and a kiss.

Man, I was thinking this was a friendshipping, too. So I didn't even think to be disappointed. And then they all fucked anyway! Completely off-screen and without using it to show their growing relationship, together. AUGH!

But, on another note, this was another beautiful addition to the Romance Reports world, and I thank you for continuing to expand one of the best stories around.

That was an... odd ending.

I suppose 'odd' isn't the correct word so much as 'different', because it was completely apt for the story.

Bravo, I declare, and encore. Sequel? No, no, you've wrapped everything up here so neatly that a sequel could only dilute the finale' thou has crafted with thine wordsmithery.

Bliss.

So:twilightsmile:did have sex with cheerliee and celestia at the end right:rainbowhuh:

No, no, don't worry — these are happy tears.

I the beginning I though Twilight was dying of old age. Later I tough she had a magical accident & was fighting to survive. I was close enough XD. Non the less this epilogue was an amazing ending to a wonderful story
imag.manicomic.com/general/gif-de-aplausos.gif

2208297

Like the other guy said,OT3.

“Hers,” Cheerilee and Celestia say, in one voice.
It is one voice.
Is Luna Celestia’s sister, or is Cheerilee...? And is that a weird question to ask right now?

I see what you did there. And I have to say, it didn't really work. It's just too jarring, to see a random '4th wall'-meta VA joke right in the middle of a Meaningful Moment. :ajbemused:

Beautiful. Not much to say here, but this was beautiful.

2207984
I think that's why I've loved this whole story. It's one of the most romantic stories, but not in an overt and cliché way. The characterization is the focus, and it's just perfect.

Edit: Also, friggin' finally. Was wondering how long it would take Twilight to cave and seduce Celestia.

Brilliant! :twilightsmile: I had to reread the chapter twice to catch all the nuances of the dream scene, but it was definitely worth it! Beautiful non-standard ending to the story that has already exceeded all my expectations many times over.

First chapter - the Princess and the mare who doubted her place in beloved's life
Last chapter - Celestia and Cheerilee happily chatting in a bed with Twilight
And character evolution has never felt jarring or out of place.

But why? Why can't I thumb this up any harder? It needs more! :flutterrage: More, I say!

But seriously, how do you create an epilogue better than the chapter that preceded it, DH? Seriously. It's beyond a gift.

Another amazing piece for the Romance Reports universe. I can't add praise as eloquently as other comments have so I'll just say I agree with everything good that has already been said about this.

Spoilers below for those of you who haven't read Like Fine Wine

So I'm wondering how this new relationship between Twilight and Celestia is going to affect things after a certain tragedy happens. I don't believe anything romantic would happen between em, at least for a long time, but it does put them into a rather odd place. Twilight trying to get comfort sex from Spike suddenly becomes a bit more interesting to me. Why would she go to him instead of Celestia? Did it feel wrong to do so? Awkward? Did she and Celestia refused like Spike did (and rightly so)? I'm hoping to get a look into how they're doing someday, perhaps in All Things End.

WOW, that was the best ending to a story i've ever read. All of what I read had me thinking and formulating ideas and theories, until the scene with Celestia, Twilight, and Cheerilee at the end. Then I just sat back and enjoyed the fact that this was just a great story. I'm going to miss the absurdly witty conversations so much. There isn't a better dialogue writer on fimfiction, and it was a treat to see the full potential of that writing in this story. Fan content is sometimes just the best. All of my thanks! And good luck in your next venture DH :trollestia:

...I realized after reading the comments that this wasn't a standalone story.
And yet, I understood everything that happened.
It wasn't rushed, and it wasn't simple.
It was deliciously complex, and full of innuendo.

This goes, by itself, straight to my favorites list.
WELL DONE!:twilightsmile:

I read this chapter twice.

The first time I bumbled through it at high speeds, in part because I knew what was going to happen and was desperate to see the resolution. That was... a mistake.

I took a moment to breath, came back, and read it again.

It was beautiful.

I could ramble on about many things... but words are boring aren't they? And I don't know if I can describe what I feel right now any clearer than I already have.

Thank you for sharing this with us. For showing us something so happy and beautiful. Wherever you go, and whatever you do, may you touch it with as much grace and beauty as you have this community.

I'll miss you.

2209264 "Senile Twilight" is where my mind went at first, too. Then "mind control," then "dream invasion by Luna." I'm so glad the truth ended up being something more pleasant. :yay:

Wait wait wait. Am I...am I doing Saucy Look Number Two? To Cheerilee and the princess?

Twilight has categorized her saucy looks? Of course she has. :twilightblush: :twilightsmile:

Utterly gorgeous, perfect ending, I don't even have any words for this. It's wonderful.

Thank you.

So wonderful! :pinkiehappy: Loved it, loved, it loved it. :heart:

There is not a better way to conclude what Romance Reports started.

I just want to thank device heretic for writing this to the end, and SleeplessBrony for giving him the original idea and, of course, publishing it. Good luck to both in your future projects.

This ending was deeply emotionally satisfying.

wow, three amazing chapters so quickly spaced, after months of zero contact?
I think someauthor's missed us, here in pony land :ajsmug:

In any case, glad to know you're not quite out of the game yet, DH, and I eagerly await your next assuredly great return
also, thanks a ton to SB for giving someone (who has in all honesty become my favorite author ever) a space to continue making magic :twilightsmile::heart:

you surprised me with this chapter. A pleasant surprise to clarify. :raritystarry:

I was expecting you to touch on twi becoming a princess... not this.

Thank you for the journey, my only sadness is that its over. :pinkiesad2:

Perfect, amazing and every other synonym that can be found. I can't properly express how much I love that this story was able to not only combine but appropriately wrap up both endings to 'Romance Reports'. 'Genius' is the only word that comes to mind. Looking forward to see what you have planned for this particular timeline, should you choose to continue.:twilightsmile:

Gah, mushroom samba dream sequence :pinkiecrazy: Outstanding read though, thank you for your delicious pony words! I bounced around the room after reading it. Which was awkward, since I couldn't properly explain to my family why I was happy and bouncing. "Because internet" seemed to satisfy their curiosity though.

If I smiled any harder I'd go full-on Pinkie Pie rocket.

Another masterpiece.

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WOULD READ AGAIN!

Loved it

Thank you both for this story; for me it was beautiful and enthralling. I hope that doesn't sound glib or overblown, because it's true.

I really admire the ability of a writer to delve at a level or a few below what I feel I'm capable of (and in most serious conversations and interactions with others, I often feel that I do this with them). The complexity and feeling of truth to the emotions was very satisfying. I really don't mind reading fluff once in a while, but stories with this kind of depth are really what keeps me interested, here.

I did have the disadvantage of starting to read this story and getting caught up in it before I realized that it was a sequel to a story I have yet to read. Oops. It did occasionally give this story an esoteric feeling, but even with that you filled in the blanks well enough that I understood what was happening. I'll probably eventually re-read this story once I get done with Romance Reports, anyway, just to make sure.

The last chapter was pleasant and fulfilling. :) I would love to see a new story sequel to this one regarding Luna, though...

EDIT: Oops for corrections.

it has once again been an honor to read Mr. Device heretic's expertly crafted pony words. As always your talent absolutely floors me. If there is any justice in the world you will soon be a published author. I know of no one else who takes us into a characters heads and explains what is going on so eloquently and compellingly. In lesser hands this would all be boring exposition. In your hands it is a compelling journey of discovery in which we gasp as we discover each new facet of the characther, as if we were getting to know them in person.

Thanks also, once again to Sleepless Brony. I know you have long been an inspiration and a friend to Device, thanks for bringing him onboard.

Well.
That happened.

The first half of this story, the part that I get the sense that you're most nervous about, is actually my favorite bit of writing in this story; hooray for slightly more experimental prose-stylings. You managed to transition away from the old "nested dream sequence" trope to something more fluid and chaotic without ever throwing me from the horse, as it were, and the eventual mid-point reveal was a beautiful hand-clapping moment. Congratulations on a remarkable piece of writing.

Second half is still quite good but it slows a bit and feels like it could have used an editing pass on some of the longer dialogue loops to pare it down to something that feels more essential. As usual, this critique is of little value since I am unable to point to a specific point where paring needs to take place, I just got a bit of a wandering feel from the second half. Also, I am, as yet, uncertain as to what exactly transpired in the outside world during Twilight's relic-induced dream state that has Cheerilee and Celestia talking over each other with anxiety; given the sort of story this is, some guesses immediately present themselves, but I think that here we have a slight hiccup I see occasionally in your style in which characters are so eager to be intentionally vague / trail off / interrupt each other that the actual clarity of the scene is lost. It's always a tradeoff, though. I mean, you want to keep the dialogue sounding organic, and yes, in the real world people don't hold conversations with an eye for the convenience and clarity of invisible spectators watching their every move, which puts us in an awkward position inasmuch as that's what we functionally are.

Taken as a whole, this story is a nice closer for either one of the two unfinished "ouches" remaining at the end of "Romance Reports"; Original-Flavor "Romance Reports" leaves open a glaring thematic question (why are extensive thoughts of Celestia present in Twilight's mind during the most critical emotional passages of the story when that arc is never closed or even, really, addressed?). Alternate-Ending-Flavor "Romance Reports" solves Original-Flavor's thematic difficulty at the expense of a breakup that's so painful to the reader that it begins to feel machined, and it furthermore carries a sort of an author stigma in that all companion pieces presume Original-Flavor was the "real" ending. In gamer parlance, this is obviously the Best Ending, and it nicely resolves the final difficulty of the original work.

Great last line, as well. Overall, thumbs up. Thank you for sharing.

“Oh, Cheerilee, thank goodness,” Celestia says, evenly. “I thought we’d lost you.”

You created this entire happening just so you could deploy this line on us.

Didn't you.

I don't know why I managed to put off reading this until now, but I'm glad I waited until it was complete. Device heretic, you are a god damned genius.

Login or register to comment