• Published 4th Jan 2023
  • 1,529 Views, 40 Comments

The Shadow's Edge - Centurion Pike-Wall

  • ...
1
 40
 1,529

22~Umbrum Blood (PT.2)

Shining was thrown back, his legs slamming into reverse as he righted himself. He squared his front legs, rooting himself to the ground. His opponent did similarly, snorting and fixing him with glowing purple eyes. The two circled one another, trying to find an opening.

Out of nowhere, Shining's foe lunged forward, raising up onto his hind legs as he attempted to tackle him. Shining did the same, meeting him halfway. Their chests slammed together, forelegs sweeping around the back in an attempt to grapple the other. Gnashing teeth and wild snarls emanated from the other stallion and, to his shock, himself.

Finally, he got an opening. Shifting a bit more of his strength to his right foreleg, he managed to throw his opponent down into the snow. In an instant, he was on him, pinning his hooves while pressing as much of his body weight as he could against his foe. The other stallion looked up, snorted once again, before glumly announcing, "I yield."

Wild cheers erupted from the ring of Umbrum that surrounded the makeshift fighting ring. Shining stood back up, grinning widely as adrenaline rushed through his veins. His opponent did the same, grinning even bigger and laughing like a maniac. "So you Southern types aren't so weak, eh? Ha ha ha!"

"Never doubt the Royal Guard!", Shining answered, sharing a laugh with the other stallion. "That was good."

"Yeah", the other Umbrum said, sliding back into his boots. "Care for a drink?"

"No thanks", Shining said, doing the same. "Have a good one."

"Yeah, you too", he said, not even bothering to button up his jacket as he marched away from the ring.

As he did up his own jacket, he stole a look around the main park in the center of Sombrashaven. The entire place had been turned into a makeshift festival following the announcement of Sombra's return. Umbrum of all appearances and shapes dominated the square; some were playing games or wrestling, as he had just done, some were eating from the variety of stalls that dominated every square hoof of the streets around the park, and others still were just standing around and talking.

He made his way through the crowd, just taking it all in. All around him were Umbrum, his own species, standing in the open. They were laughing, talking, dancing, playing games. Music from the various drums and string instruments filtered over the square, and Shining couldn't help but smile.

He couldn't say that he felt isolated back home. With the illusion charm he wore outside his house made sure that everypony saw him as just a regular unicorn. However, there was still this layer of separation between him and even his closest friends. His family and Cadence were the only ponies he could show himself to, and to be around those where he didn't have to do that... It felt nice.

He made his way over to his father, who stood behind one of the stalls. To his surprise, he saw a Yak standing in front of the stall, giving his father a few brass coins in exchange for a slice of fried fish. He'd only seen a Yak in pictures before, and to see one in front of him now was startling.

Before he could say anything, his dad saw him and smiled. "Ah, good Prince. This is my son, Shining Armor. Shining, this is the Yakistani Crown Prince, Rutherford!"

The massive yak smiled, pulling Shining into a bone-snapping hug. "Pleasure to meet you, Shiny Armor!"

"Shining!", Shining squeaked out. When Rutherford let him go, he sucked in a deep breath. "Oh!"

"You ok?", Tenebrae asked.

Shining breathed out, "Yeah, yeah. Just wasn't expecting to get crush-hugged by a Yak, of all creatures."

"Yaks and Umbrum good friends!", Rutherford enthusiastically explained. "Friends for a thousand moons!" He turned back to his father, taking the fish and bowing his head. "I thank you for fish. Long life to your King!"

As the Prince left, Shining moved up to his father's side. "And here I thought the Yaks were isolationist."

"To you", Tenebrae said, before clearing his throat. "Well, to the Equestrians. As the only other formal power in the Spirits Domain, it'd make sense we'd make an alliance. We process ore for them, they lease us land we can farm. A mutual arrangement, just like our own relationship with the land."

"Right", Shining said.

Tenebrae laughed, before turning back to the screaming pot of oil. "Care for some? You must be hungry."

"Sure", Shining said. "Thanks."

"No worries", Tenebrae said, beginning to coat one of the fish in aromatic oil. "So, I was thinking. Your mother's side of the family and I haven't been in contact much. Of course, we visit them or they visit us to see your sister. But, now that you're back, I was thinking we could have some big event."

"Event?", Shining asked.

Tenebrae place the fish in the oil, turning back to look at him. "Of course! It'd take a few weeks for the messages to get to the relatives in the other Keep, but I'm sure-"

"Dad", Shining said, still internally wincing. Both at what he called the stallion and what he had to say. "I... I don't think I'll stay here that long."

Tenebrae froze, the light in his eyes seeming to dim. "What?"

"I...", Shining said, gritting his fangs. "I... I have a family out there. Even if I... Even excluding my pare-Excluding the ones that raised me, I still have a wife. She must be worried sick. I was going to see what I can do to go south and find her."

Father and Son stared at one another, neither wanting to say a thing. Neither really knew what to say. Tenebrae slowly turned around, flipping over the fish. "I... I see", he said, placing the fish back in the oil.

The sizzle of frying fish was the only thing that played between them. The silence was deafening, feeling like it extended for hours. "I'm... I'm sorry", Shining said.

"No, don't be", Tenebrae said. He scooped up the finished fish, placed it on a small wooden board and passed it to Shining. "I should have expected it. I was... Well, a fool for not thinking about it."

"Wait, that's not-"

"It's fine", Tenebrae said, rubbing the back of his hoof against one eye. "I'll see you later, eh?"

"...Right", Shining said, turning away. He walked slightly away from the crowded park, finding a small staircase leading up to one building bordering the square to sit down at. He brushed away some of the snow, sitting down on the hewn stone. He almost didn't notice the other Umbrum near him until some of the snow landed on him, causing him to hiss in alarm. "Oh, sorr-" He was cut off, surprised at what he found himself looking at:

The equally surprised face of King Sombra.

Comments ( 2 )

The fated confrontation

Well, that's going to be awkward.

Login or register to comment