• Published 4th Jan 2023
  • 1,529 Views, 40 Comments

The Shadow's Edge - Centurion Pike-Wall

  • ...
1
 40
 1,529

12~What was Lost

The Magistrate led Shining away from the medicinal tent, tracing her steps back through the settlement towards the woods. Shining moved a bit slower, eyes shifting around. What was going on? "Why are we going this far?", he asked, causing the Magistrate to stop.

She sighed, before continuing her trot. Left with no real choice, Shining put on a bit of speed, catching up to her as she moved past the last tent. Shining came to a stop, subconsciously gazing around to see if any of the soldiers were around. When the nearest one he saw was staying with the sleds, he relaxed slightly, before turning back to the mare.

Not that she had stopped, he was able to get a better look at her. Her jacket was a gray-green, with embroidered yellow trim and a pair of small red tabs on her collar. In addition to the red sash, she had a dark blue scarf and thick brown boots. She lowered the scarf, showing off her face. Her black-furred features weren't quite as thin as most of the Umbrum he had seen, as well as a long, dark blue mane and reddish-yellowish eyes. Instead of a basic cut, her "Mark" appeared to be three sets of fangs grafted into her lower jaw.

"I apologize for the confusion", she said. "Your case is quite... unique, and I have taken a personal interest."

"And what is that supposed to mean?", Shining asked.

She didn't answer him, instead simply looking him over. He felt like he was being inspected on the parade ground, and it took all of his years of training to avoid shirking away. She noticed the strain in his own gaze, before ceasing her close inspection and began to stand less straight. "Are you a soldier?"

"Royal Guard", he said. "I'm the Captain."

"Impressive", she said, before cocking her head. "Does that mean those in the South know you're an Umbrum?"

Shining let out his own sigh, saying, "Only a few. My immediate family, Princess Celestia... My wife."

"You're married?", she asked.

Shining said, "Yeah. Less than a month. We were interrupted in our honeymoon in order to come here."

"What's a-You know what, never mind. Why exactly did you come here?"

He was expecting that question. That didn't necessarily mean he had an answer for it, though. Given the hostility shown to the Crystal Empire, he doubted she would take the truthful answer very well. "Why all the questions?", he asked, trying to divert her focus.

She stayed silent for a moment, her features seeming to lose the featureless, emotionless mask that she wore. "Like I said. Interest. You're the only Umbrum to have been raised outside of our homeland since the Great Liberator. Not as drastic as being raised by the Bright Ones, granted. However, you still get this interest."

"Yeah", Shining said. "I guess... I guess I just never really thought about it."

"About what?", she asked.

Shining said, "Considering myself special. I mean, of course I knew I was different. You don't grow up having to wear a disguise charm in order to go out in public."

She stiffened, before relaxing again. "I see. So... You never wondered... Where you came from?"

"Of course I did", Shining said. "Just... didn't put too much thought into it. Not like I could have done anything; we're basically unknown in Equestria."

She didn't speak, once again resuming her studying of him. "Show me your left front hoof."

Shining tilted his head, lifting up the hoof. She turned it over, exposing a small patch of white fur clashing with the slate-gray; the only natural section of white fur on his body. "What is it?", he asked, before she revealed her own front left hoof. Twisting it over, she revealed a patch of white fur, almost perfectly mirroring his own. He stared at it, speech stunned from his throat. "Wh-what?"

"I found you", she said, her voice soft. "You were alive, and I found you... brother."

"How...?", Shining questioned.

The magistrate said, "I can't believe it. I found you!" She let go of his hoof, turning to the cluster of trees. "Thank you, Great Spirits! Thank you!"

Shining could only stare, even as she fell into the snow, muttering something that was inaudible to him. He wasn't sure if she was simply speaking quietly, or if the faint ringing in his ears drowned her out. She backed away from her, eyes locked firmly on her.

She stood up, turning around. The smile that graced her face dropped instantly, replaced by concern. "I... I'm sorry. I know this is a lot, and-"

"You think!?", Shining said. "I... Are you certain? How do you know?"

"We're twins", she said, speaking slowly. "We both were supposed to have that mark. Plus, you look like this painting our parents had done after we were born. Oh, Spirits, dad..."

Shining shook his head, gritting his teeth. "What... So what now?"

The magistrate opened her mouth to speak, before snapping it shut. "You're expected to return with us to Sombrashaven."

"What?", Shining said. "What do you mean, 'expected to return' with you?"

"I mean, my personal interest was why I volunteered for this", she said. "In any case, the Council is going to take an interest in an Umbrum raised outside of our domain. It's just..." She sighed once again, before continuing. "I can discuss things with my superior; you'd be staying with me and our father, and-"

"I get it", Shining said. "I... I need to think."

"That's fine", the magistrate said. "I get this is a lot to take in."

"Right", Shining said. "I'll talk to you later, uh..."

Realizing her mistake, she let out a nervous giggle. "Sorry. Blackout. My name is Blackout."