• Published 4th Jan 2023
  • 1,528 Views, 40 Comments

The Shadow's Edge - Centurion Pike-Wall

  • ...
1
 40
 1,528

7~Umbrum Hospitality

"Father said yes", Ciaran said, laying a pile of clothing next to him on the bed. "You will be welcome in our home."

"Ok", Shining said, throwing off the cover and examining the clothes. The largest of the pieces was a heavy, grayish-white coat similar to the ones worn by the other Umbrum he had seen so far. "What's this for?"

"So you don't freeze", Shroud said.

Shining sent a glare at Shroud, earning a sigh from Ciaran. "For once, Shroud isn't being a sarcastic dung-sniffer. Your coat is... well, it is worryingly thin."

"It's warmer down south", Shining countered. "I still have overheating problems in summer."

"And I don't doubt it", Ciaran said. "But, here? We wear these because it can still get cold for us up this far north. You're going to need one until your coat grows longer."

Shining almost commented how he didn't intend to stay long. That the only reason he was staying was that he doubted he could convince anyone to guide him south, and he didn't trust his sense of direction. That, as it stood, he didn't trust them and their reverence for an ancient tyrant. However, he didn't say that. Instead, he merely stood up fully, grabbed the jacket, and began to slip it on.

It was surprisingly heavy, lined with some kind of white fur. After pinning the buttons in place, Ciaran helped him secure a belt around his chest and down his back, helping to pin the cloth in place. He grabbed the heavy scarf and whirled it around his neck. Finally, he stepped into the leather boots, feeling his hardened hoof become surrounded by an interior of fur.

"I feel like I'm going to fall over", Shining muttered.

Shroud said, "You'll get used to it. We all did, trust me."

Ciaran went up to shroud, leading him off away from Shining while whispering. Shining couldn't hear what they were saying, not that he was focusing on what they were saying. He shifted around, getting used to the additional weight on his back and legs. Trotting in place, he became slowly accustomed to the weight. As he stopped, Ciaran came back over, beckoning him to follow her.

Lifting up the flap of the tent, he was surprised to see a simple wooden door as opposed to open air. Ciaran pushed it open before he could question it, trudging along behind her. She closed the door behind him, allowing him to take in the sight that greeted him.

Nestled beneath a bluff and hemmed in by a collection of tall, narrow trees stood the bulk of the village. Like the tent he had just emerged from, it was made from tents. They were round with conical roofs, often surrounded by a fence made of latticed wood. Umbrum, dressed similarly to him and Ciaran, moved through the crude lanes created by the mass of tents, carrying a variety of tools and supplies, or accompanied by wolf-like dogs.

As he stood, he was struck by what Ciaran said. It was noticeably colder than he had experienced earlier. While the falling snow now was only coming down in small ripples like light rain, he still felt his teeth begin to chatter slightly. "As I said", Ciaran said, smiling at him while seemingly oblivious to the strands of ice forming on the ends of her eyelashes. "Come on. My family's Ger isn't that far."

She moved through the layers of snow with practiced ease, slowing down slightly to allow Shining to keep up. He managed to keep straight as he moved, soon falling in behind her. She led him to one of the "ger", pushing open a simple gate and heading to the door.

"Father!", she called in as she opened the door. "Our guest is here."

"Ah", a new voice called. The source of that voice made himself known as Shining followed Ciaran in. This Umbrum was larger than even Betzalel, his pitch-black mane shaved to the coat in portions near his ears with a strand tied back. "Ciemny. A pleasure."

"Uh, likewise", Shining said, looking around the inside of the tent. Unlike the medical tent, this one was much more inviting in terms of decorations. Colorful ribbons hung from the ceiling as opposed to bones, while the designs carved into the wood were both more numerous and elaborate. Several chests sat along the perimeter, along with a barrel and a small shrine of sorts.

Like the main tent, a stove sat in the middle of the room, filling the room with a powerful scent and pervasive warmth. Another Umbrum sat next to it, stirring a large pot that emitted a... really good aroma. Ciemny said, "How soon until dinner is ready? Our guest is here!"

The other Umbrum turned to look at the two of them, giving them a smile. "Just a little bit longer", she said, her sparkling yellow eyes gleaming with a strange sense of calmness. "Ciaran, why don't you go get your little brothers? I think they're by the caves."

"Of course, mother", Ciaran said. Before she left, she placed a hoof on Shining's shoulder. "Relax. You're in good company."

"S-sure", Shining said.

As Ciaran left, Ciemny once again came into view. "Come, come", he said, gesturing to a low table opposite the entrance. "Sit down. We already have some tea."

Shining did so, seating himself next to Ciemny as he poured out the dull red liquid into a similar bowl-like cup from earlier. "So, Ciaran told us about your... predicament."

Shining re-upped his guard at the comment. "Yeah? And...?"

"And what?", Ciemny's wife asked.

Shining blinked. "I don't know. I was expecting, I guess, more-"

"More what?", Ciemny asked. "We can't condemn you for the fickle nature of the Spirits. Nor can I fault you for being raised away from our land. Sure, most will likely distrust you." He clicked his tongue distastefully before taking a sip of his tea. "Just the nature of things. But, what's the point of that? You're not an enemy, right?"

"No", Shining said. "To be frank... Equestria as a whole doesn't know that you... Well, that we exist."

Ciemny gave a small smile, his eyes seeming to dim despite it. "Well then. Anyway, as I was saying: If you're not an enemy to us, and pose no real threat, then there is no reason why we shouldn't at least treat you as a guest."

"Huh", Shining said, genuinely surprised. "Well, uh... What's for dinner?"

"Soup", Cienmy's wife said. "Goat, mushrooms, moss, and some bulbs. Along with some of the dumplings leftover from lunch and a bit of bread."

"Don't worry", Ciemny said. "My little Mrak makes some excellent soup. You'll like it."

Shining felt warm, not just from the heat emitted by the stove. It was the same pleasant heat that came to him when he was with his family on Hearths Warming, or when cuddling with Cadence. It was the warmth of being among something friendly or... familial. Company and companionship, with nice folk. "Alright then", he said, allowing himself to smile. Despite his reservations, maybe he could figure this out.