• Published 4th Jan 2023
  • 1,527 Views, 40 Comments

The Shadow's Edge - Centurion Pike-Wall

  • ...
1
 40
 1,527

2~Desperate Actions

Cadence smiled up at Shining Armor, shifting her position to better cuddle up to his large frame. She closed her eyes, muttering, "So fluffy."

"What was that?", Shining asked, the focused beams of light coming off of his eyes peering down at her.

Cadence replied quickly, "Nothing."

The two of them lay on the couch in the living room, gazing into the roaring fire within the hearth. The past three days had been as close to perfect as they could probably get. None of their Royal or Guard duties bothered them, no interruptions, and no need for Shining's disguise; just the two of them.

"Man, this is great", Shining said. "I'm glad you convinced me to do this."

Cadence said, "Haywaii was a good idea, don't get me wrong. But, something stress-free like this would probably do us wonders." She reached up and gave her husband a peck on the cheek, before lowering her head back down to snuggle in his thick coat. "And I was right."

Neither of them really noticed how long the two of them spent laying there, simply basking in one another's company. What they did notice was the loud knocking that shattered their serene time together. Both sets of eyes darted to the door, wondering if perhaps they were imagining it. That notion was shattered when a second round of knocks filtered through the door, followed by the call of, "Princess Cadence? Captain Armor? Are you awake?"

"Shining", Cadence whispered. "Get your disguise on."

"It's upstairs!", Shining hissed.

Cadence looked around in a panic. Her eyes finally fell on the door leading to the kitchen. "In there!", she hissed, before turning to the door and standing up. "Coming!"

Shining moved as fast as he could while remaining quiet. When he entered the simple kitchen, he closed the door most of the way, leaving it open only a small amount. He heard Cadence open the front door, asking, "Yes, what is it?"

"Sorry to bother you, Princess", a voice, firm and close to emotionless, answered her. "But Princess Celestia requests that you and Captain Armor return to Canterlot as soon as possible."

"For what?", Cadence asked, mirroring the thoughts that ran through Shining's head.

"I'm afraid I don't know", the voice, presumably a Guardspony, said. "She just said it was urgent."

"Alright, I just need to get our things packed, and-"

Cadence was cut off by the Guard saying, "Another squad will come later and take your things back to the castle. We're just here to collect the two of you." There was a pause, during which Shining could hear a few clanking steps. "Speaking of which, where is the Captain?"

"Oh, uh...", Cadence said. "H-he's upstairs. I'll go get him. Wait at the carriage; we'll be out in a minute."

As soon as he could hear the door slam shut, Shining exited his hiding place. "What's so important that the Princess needs to call us back now?"

"I don't know", Cadence said. "What I do know is that it better be good. Come on, let's get your gem."

~+~+~~|~~+~+~

The ride back to Canterlot Castle was long and almost disturbingly quiet. The whole time, Cadence seemed to glare at the Royal Guard who was riding in the carriage with them; Shining was afraid the poor Corporal would melt into the seat. As nopony knew what was going on, and with the awkwardness of the trip as a whole, nopony spoke.

Finally, after hours of rumbling through woods, plains, and finally the city streets, the carriage came to a stop within Canterlot Castle. Cadence brushed past the guards that waited for them, already knowing the way to where Celestia would be. Shining followed after her, keeping up with her pace due to years of Guard training.

Cadence pushed open the door to the Throne Room, sending the Royal Guard standing sentry scattering to avoid being hit by the door. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna both looked up from a glowing map, depicting a strange city that appeared to be made from large Crystals. Celestia looked up, trying her best to cover her frown with a small smile. "Ah, Cadence. I'm glad you could-"

"This had better be good!", Cadence practically shouted.

Luna said, "Calm thyself, Princess Cadenza. We assure thou, this is a serious matter."

"Indeed", Princess Celestia said, igniting her horn and expanding the map. "This is the Crystal Empire."

With the map now much bigger, the two newcomers could get a better view of the city. It was laid out in a similar shape to a massive snowflake, with crisscrossing streets and alleyways. The buildings were mostly made from actual Crystals, with hollowed-out interiors as evidenced by the doors and windows. In the center of the city stood a towering citadel: Dark blue, reaching upwards into the sky and seeming to pulse with light.

"Geez, that's bright", Shining hissed, holding up a hoof to shield his eyes.

Luna looked at him, a quizzical expression on her face. "Art thou alright? It is merely a representation of the empire."

"Sorry", Shining said. "Tired, I guess."

"Anyway", Celestia continued, steering the conversation back on course. "It resides within the Frozen North. A thousand years ago, it was taken over by Sombra, an... an Umbrum, who had dreams of conquest."

Shining tried his best to keep his expression neutral, but he couldn't avoid a nervous frown from gracing his lips. Beneath his magical disguise, his fangs chafed together. An Umbrum, like him?

"He enslaved its populace, gathering powerful forces to strike at Equestria", Celestia continued, noticing Shining's discomfort and giving him a reassuring glance. It didn't work. "My sister and I ultimately defeated him, banishing him to the Ice. However, he cast a curse upon the Empire, causing it to vanish."

"We know little of the Empire exactly", Luna said. "While we had working relations with Amore, the previous ruler of the Empire, they liked to keep to themselves. What we know for certain is the powerful magics that reside within the Empire, both maintaining a shield that kept them safe from the harsh weather of the north and filters out into Equestria."

"Indeed", Celestia said. "That is why the Empire must be secured quickly."

"But, you said that it vanished", Cadence replied, looking away from her husband to the other Princesses.

Luna said, "It has returned, not a day ago."

"Indeed. And if it has returned, there is no saying if Sombra has as well", Celestia added. "That is why you two must head north. Protect the Empire from Sombra. Its power must not be harnessed for evil."