• Published 18th Aug 2021
  • 6,049 Views, 1,125 Comments

Manehattan's Lone Guardian - Curtis Wildcat



What's a Reploid to do in a world not her own, and with a technology base to match?

  • ...
12
 1,125
 6,049

PreviousChapters
Which Hazel?

"Carrie, you have no idea how happy I am you're here. I look like a giant hairless rat. Ponies are going to laugh at me."

"Are the headaches gone, Hazel?"

"Well, yeah, but still---!"

"Then it was all worth it. Let's get things finished up here and get you home, alright?"


Hazelnut, locked in place as she was, watched as her sister escorted the monster inhabiting her body out of the hospital and back home. There were indeed a few onlookers who tried to laugh, but a sharp look from Caramel silenced them. The more dignified of the sisters hailed a taxi for a ride back to Mocha HQ.

There had been conversations between Quarter and Ignition that she had listened in on. Feelings of drowsiness, dizziness, and a half dozen other sensations manifested as the cancer treatments were performed, but Hazelnut herself barely felt any of them.

She recalled being scandalized when she heard of the enemy agents' actions, fleetingly wishing that she could help the targeted family and Leviathan in some way. Mocha money was going towards this? It was a blatant disgrace to their name, a permanent smear that no amount of soap and water would erase.

There were times where she started to feel weaker and sink into the morass of memories that Quarter possessed. All Hazelnut needed to do was look through the corner of her eye, and that image of the violent metallic monster rejuvenated her. She wished with all of her heart that there was a better way to keep herself from giving up than by traumatizing herself, but by this point she had convinced herself that there was nothing else she could do.

She swore that if she ever escaped this situation somehow, she would book an appointment with a therapist on the double. This mindset she was working with wasn't healthy.

Hazelnut watched as they returned home. Caramel offered to have their servant provide a good meal, but Quarter felt more like resting first. There was some conversation between them before Caramel closed the curtains and left her alone. Quarter gave in to the desire to sleep, and light snores rumbled in the background.

The scion hated these long stretches of pure nothing. At least when Quarter was awake, she could watch what was taking place on the outside. But when the windows went dark, there was nothing but the ongoing struggle and the constant fog.

After a while, the windows distorted and brightened. What is happening? she wondered, concerned. She couldn't be waking up that quickly.

She wasn't. It was a new perspective that Hazel never saw coming.


Two ponies surveyed a wide expanse of recently-acquired farmland. After finishing their work, one turned to the other. "All things considered, White Rook, I think you got a good deal."

Rook responded with satisfaction. "I agree. This will keep my family fed for quite some time."

"And the rest of us, too. I've had the vegetables your family grows before. They're some of the best I've ever had."

"Thank you. We try," Rook said, barely any trace of humility in his tone.

The second pony turned to him, expressing confusion. "There's one thing I don't understand, though. Of all the ponies you could've married, why one of them? Don't you think that's a little..."

"Strange?"

"Well, yes."

Rook snorted. "Don't tell me you still believe that rhetoric about tribe superiority, Grass Seed. We've always loved each other, she's just as much into farming as I am, and she's interested in the same goals as I am. I don't care if she's a unicorn. We're going to make this countryside better one full stomach at a time, and no amount of ridicule and hate's going to stop us."

The other pony shook his head disapprovingly, but didn't press the issue. "I've seen that look in your eyes often enough that I'm not going to argue with you on this. You're set in your ways."

Rook took another look at his new property, his thoughts elsewhere. "As I should be. Let everypony bicker about what's right and wrong if they want. I'm no politician or warrior. I'm not going to waste my time on those matters when there's better things I could be doing. I'm a farmer and nothing more."


As the image faded, Hazelnut found herself shaken. What was that? Was I seeing Quarter's dreams? Seriously, what even was that?

Wait... Was it really a dream? Or was it some kind of memory? ... Maybe both?

Hazelnut couldn't help but think that Rook's final words were familiar. She had to push past the solidified memory of virulent, violent metal to find the cause of it, but after some consideration she realized that the words were among the first that rushed into her head days ago.

She focused as hard as she could, straining to recall the details of a life that wasn't her own. It wasn't easy work, as there was a lot to sort through, but eventually she was able to make them cooperate. One by one they collected together to form a coherent piece of the puzzle. White Rook. Earth pony stallion. Known for being shrewd and clever. Married a unicorn in defiance of acceptable standards. Owned a successful farm that produced multiple crops.

So this pony... they used to be just a basic farmer? How long ago was this?

Wait... what was that comment about tribe superiority?

-"Of all the ponies you could've married, why one of them?"-

Why would him marrying a unicorn be such a big deal? Carrie and I have traced our ancestry back centuries, and we've got plenty of representatives from all three tribes scattered throughout our lineage, so...

History lessons and bedtime stories tickled her memory. She still had fond recollections of past Hearth's Warming holidays. Unless... unless this interaction took place before the tribes united. So... more than 1,100 years ago, if the old tales and fables have any accuracy to them. Makes sense, okay.

So, how did this pony become a body snatcher? He sounded normal to me, if proud.

As if bidden by her inquiry (though Hazelnut knew it was likely just a coincidence), new imagery coalesced before her...


A whistle from a prospective customer. "These are the best potatoes I've ever seen in my life."

Rook preened at the praise. "I'm glad you think so. Only the best care goes into growing these. I'd be a fool if I gave them anything else."

The customer searched the pouch he was wearing. A disgruntled sigh left him. "Well, if that's not worthy of rain. I don't have as much with me as I thought I did. Care to barter? Still need to feed the folks today."

Rook shrugged. "If you have something of worth, I suppose I could trade some potatoes for them."

A locket was hoofed over to him. It was a pretty little thing, being made of pure silver and having a surprisingly detailed image of a full moon embossed on the front. On the back of it were twin circles of characters in a language that meant nothing to him. Rook met the customer's eyes in surprise. "I understand that your family needs food, but you could buy them from me for weeks with this thing! Are you sure you want to give this up?"

"I found it years ago and hung onto it since," the customer explained, fed up with something. "I've been trying to decipher these words on the back, and I've found no success. None. I've tried to find somepony who can figure it out, and I'm at the end of my rope. This thing isn't worth the trouble of keeping it."

Rook pondered this. Thanks in part to his wife's work, he had a few connections with the unicorns. Maybe he could figure it out someday. And if not, he could always do some bartering himself. "I'll take it. You won't need to worry about food for a while. Take what you need, and I'll let you know when you have to start paying again."

"...You're very generous," the customer stated after recovering his wits. "I appreciate it."


Hazelnut's mouth would've fallen open if she hadn't felt so numb. Alright. I knew that family heirloom was old, but I didn't know it was that old.

Is that why I've got one of my ancestors infesting me? How is that amulet supposed to work? Do you just have to hold onto it?

Or did that text on the back have anything to... do with... it...?

She paused as her thoughts and willpower started becoming muddier again. Exerting herself, she centered her vision on the twisted and violent wreckage once more. She inwardly squealed as the fear that was... whatever that creature's name was spiked her mind back into overdrive, forcing her back to square one.

Hazelnut struggled to focus on what she had been doing before. No matter how many times she had to do that just to stay alive, it was always hard to stave off that level of primal terror.

For one quick moment she wondered if the metal creature was the 'Omega' that Leviathan had mentioned in the newspaper. She dismissed the idea immediately. What were the chances that the monstrosity that had embedded itself in here and the one that sent Leviathan on a crash course towards Equestria were the same creature?

T-trying to figure out how that locket was able to mess with White Rook is more important. I'm n-not dwelling on this trauma unless I need it to stay alive. Period!

Now, if this would work for me again, then awesome.

She pulled at her ancestor's memories again, making anything concerning Rook's research into the locket the core of her investigation. As before, she had to struggle and strain her mind for the sake of cooperation, but she was able to put things together in a way that made sense.

Took many seasons to accomplish goal. Most unicorns that talked to Rook were uncooperative, if they knew anything at all. Wife finally had to step in and ask in his stead; even that was touch-and-go for a while. Language on locket revealed to be an old tongue that fell out of use well before the present day. Scroll that wife obtained meant to convert characters from the old alphabet to the new...


"Let's see..." Rook muttered as he looked back and forth between the scroll and the locket. "It's an odd key. It makes little sense from today's point of view. It's technically more of a code than a proper alphabet. It's no wonder that it's not being used anymore... you practically have to be a wizard just to understand how often it shifts. Some characters forward, then right back again."

With his new knowledge, he gave the circular sentence on the locket another look, going over things in his mind. "Hmm... the closest translation I can get from this is 'To the next descendant, inherit everything that I am'. Trying to actually speak the language is an exercise in tedium." He scowled. "I would love to have words with the artisan that crafted this, the lunatic... Though maybe I should see if there's more like this around. If I could speak the language, it would throw any well-learned unicorns off-balance."

He wasn't going to lie and say that he wasn't feeling spiteful towards those that hindered him in his search. He didn't agree with earth pony beliefs towards them, but having to put up with the unicorns' arrogance was aggravating.

"Now how to pronounce this tangled mess of a sentence..." He cleared his throat, then spoke slowly and carefully: "Xk xdi jitx zioharzejx, erdinmp irincplerc xdep m wq. ...Did that sound ri---"

At that moment, the locket felt inexplicably warm in his hoof. That same warmth encompassed him inside and out, and he felt comfortable despite the evening chill. He closed his eyes to savor the sensation, smiling.

If he'd been paying attention, he would've noticed the locket's characters glowing a soft white.

The warmth left him, and for a second he felt like a heavy weight had landed on him. The weight increased in intensity to the point where it was almost more than he could bear, and his legs quivered---

The weight vanished completely, and the warmth gave way to the autumn cold. The entire experience from the locket warming up until now lasted no more than seven seconds.

Rook stayed silent as he considered what had just happened. "...Interesting," he uttered calmly. He didn't know why he was trying to hide his surprise: his wife and sons were entertaining some neighboring farmers elsewhere on the property, so nopony was around to hear him. Force of habit, he supposed. "What... what was that locket? How is it doing that?"

The locket wasn't providing any answers. He repeated the words that had triggered the warmth, but nothing happened. He finally shook his head and set the locket aside. "Bah. Mysteries for another day. I should really be joining everypony outside right now. Probably a more relaxing use of my time," he told himself as he extinguished a lantern and left the room.


The Mocha twins were growing up in an age where relations between the three tribes were... well, not truly perfect, but at a point where interactions were congenial much more often than not. Hazelnut had to stop herself from wondering why Rook didn't persist in asking for help in that bleaker era.

It would've been smarter for him to send the locket with a letter attached to the unicorns. Let somepony with a scholarly mind piece things together instead of somepony with no experience with the intricacies of magic.

...Though thinking about it, I can understand why he didn't. His negative experiences with them might've turned him off just enough from that. Taking chances with magic is still a stupid idea, though. Were it me, I would've tried to have the locket melted down.

Hindsight, and all that rot.

"Mmmph..."

Quarter emitted an annoyed grunt as she awakened, and Hazelnut immediately clammed up. "I haven't dreamed of my first life in decades," the monster mumbled, the thoughts echoing in the mindscape. "Obviously I need more chocolate milk. ...And has it really been three hours since I laid down? Time passes too quickly. Stupid lingering side effects."

Hazelnut kept her thoughts to herself. She didn't know if they could be picked up on the same way she could pick up on Quarter's, but she didn't want to risk it. Whether out loud (which she was incapable of at present) or inwardly, laughter was a poor idea in either case.

...

As time went on and Quarter began eating the meal she requested, Hazelnut noticed something peculiar.

She felt just a little bit stronger. She still had to fight to keep her mind from vanishing into the ether, but the struggle didn't seem quite so difficult...? Maybe a tad less than it had been...?

She had more questions than answers, but where before she couldn't do much of anything, she at least now had a goal to strive towards.

It would be a very long time, if at all, before Hazelnut would be able to stand on all four hooves without triggering her self-induced trauma. But she and Caramel had been taught by the same monster that currently laid claim to her body. She was not stupid. Somewhere in this swamp of a lifetime was the key to reclaiming what belonged to her, and she was going to find it.

It was just a matter of coming to terms with everything. ...Making sense of all of these memories is going to be an absolute pain in the tail, she groaned to herself as she saw the enormity of her task.

Hazelnut didn't know if her thoughts couldn't be heard or if Quarter's mealtime was drowning it out, but the latter showed no signs of recognition.

"So has all the testing been completed?" Quarter asked Ignition later, once she was certain they were alone.

A curt nod. "Yes, young lady. I witnessed the latest round of it myself. Everything is perfect."

Wonderful. "Then we're getting to work. I'm going to get myself back to full strength. Meanwhile, direct your staff to discreetly transfer all pertinent materials to our office at Fat Stallion Island, including the Crown Jewels. Now that we know for sure that it will work just fine, we don't need to delay anymore. All hooves on deck: construction of the Prism Tower shall commence immediately."

"And what of Leviathan and the Ghost?"

An eager smile. "What do you think? Summon our remaining agents, Ignition: we've got plans to discuss. Operations against those big stupid pufferfish will resume in three days." The smile left Quarter as she remembered something. "And Ignition?"

"Yes?"

"Find me the best hair growth formula on the market," Quarter all but begged. "I refuse to look like a hairless rat longer than I have to."

One corner of Ignition's mouth twitched. "Consider it done."

Author's Note:

Just one music link this time: "Mech Workshop", from Worms Armageddon.

Haven't felt much like writing due to life being a drag. I'm sorry for the delay in-between chapters.

Trying to keep the story's time frame consistent with that of the main series is a bit tricky for me. Back in the chapter "All Alone in the Moonlight", Quarter had said that she had gone through four different bodies by the time of Discord's first defeat. Assuming that White Rook lived for about 70 years before dying, and that subsequent bodies lived an average of 30 years after he transferred to them, then I'm hoping that means his discovery of the locket's power took place before the founding of Equestria. (Which probably means that his new farm is doomed to being frozen over.)

As I've stated previously, I haven't watched most of the series, nor do I have any desire to due to my circumstances at present. This isn't due to any real dislike, but more due to the fact that my criteria for viewing is fairly narrow. So please, if I have any related continuity errors crop up in my story, let me know. I appreciate it.

Also, a bit of behind-the-scenes info on our main antagonist that I want to share. Between 1990 and 2002, I'd created a slew of cat- and dog-like beings after being around cartoons, cats, and video games long enough. Their biggest nemesis was named "Quarter", and he was basically meant to be a toned-down Lex Luthor with plans for their homeworld (and later Earth, after moving his operations there). Two of my characters for this story---specifically Gray and Calico---were already loosely adapted from my creations from that era, so I'm happy to have been able to do the same for Quarter and introduce his modern incarnation to my readers.

Two blatant references at the end. "Fat Stallion Island" is an allusion to Twitch Plays Pokémon Red ("Fat Guy Island", I think they called it), while the name given to Quarter's intended WMD is the same as that of a base defense in C&C: Red Alert 2.

Ko-Fi Tip Jar!

Trope Page!

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 6 )

Looks like Hazel ain't down for the count just yet! I wonder what the implications for that are. :trixieshiftright:

Discovering their now-shared personally story, it fills you with determination!

11869012
A battle of the wills is imminent, I am sure of it!

So if the body-swapping occurred prior to Equestria founding, then Quarter's beef with Celestia only occurred during one of his prior lives, not his first like I assumed.

Question, what hex code he used for linked text?

11882837
I didn't use any hex codes. All I did was highlight some text, click that little chain icon there and place the music link as needed.

Login or register to comment