• Published 18th Aug 2021
  • 6,049 Views, 1,125 Comments

Manehattan's Lone Guardian - Curtis Wildcat



What's a Reploid to do in a world not her own, and with a technology base to match?

  • ...
12
 1,125
 6,049

PreviousChapters Next
Calico, Fiver, and a Side of Vignettes - Day One

"It doesn't make sense! It just doesn't make any sense!"

...I was right. This arrangement works best with four spaces.

"How and when was this kid at the village? And why in the world would Rain Shine think that having a random child Silenced was a good idea? That's not good for their emotions!"

...Just calling them 'spaces' doesn't feel right. Maybe I should call them 'cells' instead. ...This is my own little prison right now, so it seems fitting.

"I'm halfway to cheesed off and back again! I swear, when I get back there after the boss takes over, I'm going to give her a piece of my mind!"

...Not every game is going to be winnable, but then that's true of the classic Patience variation. ...Or most of the variations I've tried to come up with, really.

"More than a piece, even! I'm going to give her the whole pie! A great big honking pie! Going to smother the entire village in blueberries! You hear me?! Blueberries!"

...Blueberries. ...What time is it? I'm hungry.

By Fiver's own admittance, she had lost track of time. What was meant to be six minutes turned into hours as she worked to refine this new solitaire game, trying different card layouts and stacks while testing whether it was necessary to set aside cards for drawing separately. Even after settling on a definitive arrangement, she played a dozen games (winning five) just to see if it would work out.

Once she contemplated making an escape attempt: her kidnapper was being very lax, so she could probably slip away without her knowing. Always one to let her logic rule her instead of her emotions, she turned it down immediately: she had no idea where she was taken, and while she was a decent runner she lacked the stamina to keep up with any of her siblings. She didn't have confidence in her ability to pull it off without being seen and caught.

"Now where am I going to find an oven of that size? Do they even make ovens that big? How much are they going to cost? And what are they going to charge me for the pie filling?"

Her captor wouldn't stop running her mouth. At their first hideout she'd introduced herself as Calico Driftwood, and she was nothing like any pony Fiver had seen before. The filly refused to acknowledge her verbally, not having Zig-Zag's instinctive knowledge of who was good and bad and thus not seeing the goodness buried in Calico's heart. For reasons she didn't understand, this caused her captor to become anxious instead of angry and talk about things she had no context for.

"For that matter, how would I transport eighty acres worth of the stuff? I'm not going to carry all of that there myself! I'd have to eat most of it just to make it manageable! Which doesn't sound like a bad idea. I love blueberries."

After they settled in at their second hideout, Fiver had eventually opted to focus on her cards and treat Calico's tangents as background noise. She had long practice in doing so: when left to his own devices, Pure Energy liked to ramble on excitedly about whatever crossed his mind. This wasn't much different. There was a brief break when Calico had left the room to talk to somepony unseen, but otherwise she hadn't let up.

"Almost as much as I love everything else. Should I use cherry pie filling instead? Nah, that would just look grisly without context."

But there were times when her usual approaches wouldn't help her, and mealtime was one of them. Fiver slowly moved the cards back to their box, taking her sweet time.

"I could use canned peaches instead, but it wouldn't be worth it. I'd be better off just going to the country somewhere and eating a lot of them."

The last of the cards was put away. Fiver closed the box and made sure it was secure. She turned to Calico and raised a hoof near her eye, trying to gauge the distance between them.

The not-pony didn't pay attention. "How'd I get off talking about peaches? I was talking about what I was going to do to Rain Shine for dunking the foal in that Stream. How should I drop the pie filling on her? Should I build a catapult of some kind, or should I just use my saddlebags as a makeshift sling?"

Nodding at her estimation, Fiver picked up the deck with her teeth and chucked it at Calico's face.

The deck nailed Calico right between the eyes. With a pained yelp, one of her hooves darted up to cover the afflicted area. "Owww... why'd you do that?" she protested on impulse. "You could've put one of my eyes out with that!"

"...Hungry," Fiver finally spoke for the first time since the previous evening, dropping the act.

"Hungry...?" Calico's thoughts caught up to her as she recognized not just her protest, but that the child had actually talked back. "Hungry! Oh, thank the Sisters!" She lunged at Fiver, kicking aside the deck in her haste to grab her. The child found herself confronted with a hug she hadn't seen coming, plus tears she hadn't seen coming. "Y-You can talk! You have any idea just how worried you had me?! I was getting worked up over confronting my village over nothing!"

...I think she's getting relieved over nothing. "...Stop crying and feed me, you over-emotional idiot," Fiver deadpanned, trying and failing to pull herself free.

"Feed you? Oh, right. Feed you. Follow me." Calico put Fiver down and trotted off, still sounding like she'd been released from being grounded early. The pony followed with some reluctance. "Thank goodness, thank goodness..."

...Of all those I could've been kidnapped by, it had to be the one with her head stuck in a graham cracker box.

Illudere stumbled into her room, exhausted and breathing heavily. She hadn't made it to her bed before she slumped onto the floor, passing out immediately.

In the next room, Pure Energy placed Ralph in a terrarium that had been present for reasons unknown to him. The crab scuttled over to a dish of seaweed, fish pieces and snails that had been put there and started chowing down. Sick sick sick in more ways than one, Energy thought, but mom and dad will be happy to know that I haven't been wasting my time at the library!

He yawned tiredly: as energetic as he was he had his limits, and he'd scarcely had any sleep since he was taken away. Still, he kept going. He hadn't had breakfast, and he was very hungry.

By the time he'd finished his meal, he was running on fumes. The desire to sleep for the rest of the day was strong. He walked towards the living room couch to do just that. ... But then he happened to look at Illudere's bedroom door down the hall, and a nasty idea breathed new life into him.

Energy was willing to be friendly and have a good time, and generally speaking he didn't have issues with others. But he was still a child of Gray, her prankster streak was alive and well in him, and he had no liking of Illudere whatsoever. This was a combination ponies wouldn't want if they desired to be on his good side.

It was only fifteen minutes later after Energy was satisfied with his work that he let himself retire to the couch, falling into a deep sleep. Having no knowledge of what awaited her, Illudere snoozed on. For a brief period of time, the safe house was peaceful.

It had been a rush order, and nopony was sure that it was going to make it when they wanted it to. But against their expectations, Grand Pear had been accommodating. Two and a half days after they'd sent the request and some bits to Vanhoover, a package containing jars of pear jam and a letter had arrived on the MRPD's doorstep.

...

"I was surprised to get an order for jam from that far away, but I shouldn't have been. Miss Statuette's been a regular at my market stall for a long time. If you say it's for her, then I believe you. I hope my farm's produce is of use to everypony.

Grand Pear"

...

The pony that had led the initial interrogations was given the go-ahead to try talking to Statuette again. When she was brought into the room, the officer placed a pear jam sandwich on the table before her. At first she pretended not to notice, but gave up upon recognizing the product's superior quality compared to what she was offered before. The officer subtly implying that he was going to eat the sandwich himself was the finisher. With her forelegs cuffed and wings restrained, she had to dive across the table to reach her meal.

While she was eating, the officer told her of her faction abducting Gray's family. With uncharacteristic vitriol, she confessed that the group had been targeting Gray since the breakout... and expressed indignation at what they'd done in almost the same breath. "We were under orders not to harm civilians unless they took an active stand against us," she claimed. "Gray Ghost: yes, she was our enemy. The officers that my acquaintance injured: they would have fought to have us brought to justice eventually. But a peaceful family who would not otherwise have gotten involved does not deserve to experience this. There is nothing dignified or elegant about that."

When questioned over who was leading them, Statuette reluctantly admitted that their boss had been the late Cocoa Mocha, setting off a ripple of disbelief that would roll over the entire staff by the end of the day. She added that with his passing days before the kidnapping had taken place, it wasn't likely that he had come up with the plan himself. She did not know who would have planned such an act, guessing that it was either his personal servant or an unknown somepony allegedly selected to replace him.

And then she was told of Leviathan's spirit being crushed by Illudere's mental attack. The officer had to take immediate steps to save Statuette from choking on her meal.

"You have the nerve to call this hovel a hideout?! There's bugs everywhere!" Somepony was heard spitting. "Ugh, I think one of them tried to fly inside my mouth!"

Bastion and Gates watched the room they'd shut Ebony and Ocean in warily. The younger of their captives had been going on about this for the past fifteen minutes. Neither the promise of a full meal nor the threat of re-applied sedation were enough to shut Ebony up, and since they'd agreed to abide by the rules of the challenge, using force to stop her ranting wasn't an option.

"And you've got mice in here! For the love of Celestia, you've got mice in here! I think I see where they've been leaving their droppings! Oh, this place is an absolute mess!"

Ocean at least was smart enough not to trouble the thieves in any way, behaving himself and occupying his time by reading what few books they had available. In contrast, once they removed their helmets to keep her from freaking out again, Ebony had all the volume and "you-can't-tell-me-what-to-do" attitude that one would expect from a Manehattanite adolescent. The next few days were going to be long ones.

"All over the bed---! Alright, that's it! I draw the line at them trying to nest in my mane while I'm sleeping! Die, insects!"

A noise like that of a hammer reached them through the walls, though they knew Ebony was likely just going to town on the resident bugs with her flyswatter. That bandoleer she had been wearing was making sense now. "Maybe we won't need to hire an exterminator if she's just going to do it herself," Gates suggested.

"Just get them the meal we promised. And make sure the plates are clean before you use them."

Gates grunted in annoyance at Bastion's order, but left to do as instructed. "Really wish Masonry hadn't bailed out on us. He always was better with kids than we were."

A loud smash. "Get back..." Something hit the door. "...you eight-..." A loud thump as something toppled over. "...legged..." What might have been the room's bookcase crashed against a wall. "...freaks!"

Bastion compiled a mental list of damages to send to First Quarter later.

Visiting hours were long over.

Caramel had been convinced to return home, despite her misgivings at leaving her sister behind. Ignition had lingered, giving the latter a status update before following after her.

Quarter's next treatment was early in the morning. She knew that she should be getting some sleep now, but there was one problem: she just could not stop giggling.

Ignition had told her about the abduction of Gray Ghost's family and everything that had happened as a direct result, alongside the failed attempt on Leviathan's life. Based on logic and experience, she knew that it was shaping up to be a serious setback. They wanted Gray dead, not involved: neither Illudere nor Gates and Bastion struck her as being any good with children, so it was all but guaranteed that the Ghost would be taking the field against them not long from now.

She shouldn't have found it so funny, but she did. Having her elites turned into glorified babysitters had become a laugh riot.

Most of the bodies that Quarter had stolen during her long existence had been well into adulthood when she usurped control. Only once before had she been forced to skip one of her own children and head straight for one of the grandkids instead. She'd forgotten the immaturity that came with being a teenager: no matter how refined they were, ponies usually found certain things funnier when they were young. And Hazelnut had always been the rougher one of the twins.

It took dwelling on the seriousness of the cancer treatments to help her push the levity from her mind. She lamented that the treatments required her caretakers to shave off her mane and some of her hair around it, as she'd liked Hazelnut's style. Her last thought as she started to drift off to sleep was a reminder to have Ignition find the best hair growth formula currently on the market.

Currently borrowing Leviathan's candle for this one.

Our mutual friend was on the receiving end of equipment theft and a catastrophic illusion by an enemy unicorn last night, and she underwent a nervous breakdown afterward. I set up an appointment for her with a therapist that I trust (yes, it's that bad). I expect this to take a while for her to work through.

My family was abducted yesterday by our new enemies. Thanks to Levi, I was able to confirm that my clowder will remain unharmed. I turned it back on the kidnappers by issuing them a challenge that they will not be able to fulfill, ensuring my family's eventual release.

I was at a local grocery store, and I met the most unlikely of creatures: a friendly changeling. While he made more of a sideways move than a forward one in his role as one of the kidnappers, I learned that the changelings' aggressiveness is a direct result of them not attaining the love they need to stay fed and satiated. He harbors no real fondness for their Queen, and he has made no negative moves towards my youngest child; if anything, there's a friendship in the works here. My instincts tell me that we can take advantage of this somehow.

As an aside, this changeling is also responsible for the candy that keeps Levi alive. Treating him as 'on the fence' instead of as an enemy might be more to our benefit.

I am limited in what I can do until my challenge is done. After that point, I will be taking a more active role per Levi's request. I will keep you notified.

G.G.

H.W.

...

...

I am sorry to hear about what happened to Leviathan. I wish her a quick recovery. I am occupied with my duties and a certain project that has already been publicized, so I would like to ask you to give her a hug straight from me. I am also sorry to hear about your family, though it sounds like you have things well in hoof.

I have had several negative experiences with them in the far past, as have you, so your intel on the changelings is surprising. You can understand my hesitance in accepting your discovery at face value. But if there's anything I've learned from my interactions with you, it's that your instincts haven't led you astray yet. You're directly involved in this incident, so I will leave events up to your discernment.

Princess Celestia

Two ponies sat in the Lonely Heart nightclub, nursing their drinks of choice and engaging in quiet conversation.

"Did you hear? That robot's suffering depression."

"Where'd you hear that, mate?"

"Got a friend in the force. She said something big happened to her. Something something illusionist, freaking out, crying like a foal on recovery, barely reacting to stuff after."

"I didn't think robots could suffer depression. I mean, they're robots."

"She always did act very pony-like. Maybe it's true what she said in that paper? Y'know, about her being built to experience emotions?"

"...Eh, maybe. I'm of two minds on that. I'm more interested in those two thieves that got sent to the hospital."

"I know who you're talkin' about. Maverick and Magnum, right?"

"Yeah. My cousin's a taxi runner, so I hear a lot of stuff from 'em. Said that he knew Magnum for years before she became a thief. He still thinks that she was born unlucky, getting washed out by her employers all those times..."

...

...

A third pony at a nearby table listened to the conversation, periodically sipping from a mug of root beer. She had been on leave from her job and had gone to Manehattan to see if she could meet the robot personally, but had so far come up empty. As she considered the conversation, she was beginning to think that her goal would be a fruitless one.

She recognized both of the names that came up in the conversation. Maverick had been a Wonderbolt once, but had gotten ejected after mouthing off to Captain Spitfire. Magnum she vaguely recalled from one of the tryouts, though her name was more memorable than her performance: she had impressive speed like many other recruits, but that was effectively all she had going for her.

Though that might have changed if that bit from the paper was true. Flying from Manehattan to Canterlot in that short a time isn't anything to scoff at.

She thought back to the newspaper she'd read earlier, considering an idea. Yesterday, the thieves had been sentenced to work with the robot as part of their probation. She wasn't blind to the city's present circumstances: some sort of new criminal group was active and causing trouble. If the robot had been fighting the group but was currently unable (at least according to those she was eavesdropping on), and if two pegasi with past connections to the Wonderbolts were supposed to help her, then that help was going to need to be top tier.

She finished her drink and set the mug aside, leaving a few bits on the table. I'm going to run this by Spitfire in the morning. I know she told me to rest, but is there any reason why I shouldn't use my leave productively? Those two need to have their flying put to test by the best, and I am the best. But for now, back to the hotel.

Fleetfoot held back a scowl as she left the nightclub and trotted out beneath the stars. Places like these are good for rumors and info, but I'm not drinking their root beer again.

Author's Note:

Music links for this chapter include: JayGreen Entertainment's "The Calm", and "Sweetness" by SaxLove Productions, Inc. Nothing eventful in this chapter, so I opted for music that matched. As an aside, if you haven't read my "Character Associated Music" blog posts, I consider the former song to be Fiver's theme.

If you haven't pieced it together after reading the first scene, Fiver basically discovered FreeCell.

Hmm... the start of a loyalty switch for Statuette? Mayyybe.

I've never seen Eight Legged Freaks, nor do I want to. Arachnophobic, and that. However, I've been wanting to make a shout-out to that line through Ebony for quite a while now, and this gave me an opportunity.

Ko-Fi Tip Jar!

Trope Page!

PreviousChapters Next