• Published 18th Aug 2021
  • 6,049 Views, 1,125 Comments

Manehattan's Lone Guardian - Curtis Wildcat



What's a Reploid to do in a world not her own, and with a technology base to match?

  • ...
12
 1,125
 6,049

PreviousChapters Next
Approaching a Crossroads, Unaware

Night has fallen on Manehattan at last. It's about time.

Drama Heart had closed the Pyre earlier than usual, skipping her evening performances entirely. According to her, Gray's husband had stopped by to tell her this morning that neither his wife nor his eldest daughter would be available to help on account of sickness in the family. This combined with her usual part-timer not turning up---though she suspected he was spooked by yesterday's attacks---meant that she was busier than she would've liked, even with a somewhat reduced attendance, so after the last of the matinees she just hung a sign on the door and called it a day. The rest of her time until I'd returned was spent examining Mortar & Son's progress on the revamped stairs and running standard maintenance on her props.

We're currently up in her apartment as I regale her with what I went through today, or at least the non-classified parts of it. She was awed when I detailed my blazing escape from the Institute. She rolled around on the floor giggling when I told of how I was almost eaten by a dragon. Her heart melted at my meeting with Babs Seed. And she was on the edge of her seat when I described my fight-slash-dance with Statuette.

Back home, the average citizen was not privy to the details of any mission the squadrons took part in. All they were allowed to know were the end results of those missions. Basically, the entire point of this was to let them know that "you trust us to do our jobs, so don't bother us and let us do them". Being frank with someone for a change feels good.

...Though I did not tell her of my impulse to scratch Maverick and Magnum behind the ears, much less of what happened when I gave in. I'm not that frank. If anything, I'm afraid that she'll start asking for them herself:


A scream wakes up everypony on the street. A robot flees for her life down the road, terrified out of her wits. Behind her, a shadowy mist with a multitude of red eyes pursues her. A banshee shrieks loud and clear, vowing to never give up its pursuit:

"I... WANT... EAR SKRITCHES!"


Not a chance. It actually feels like something she'd do.

"You work quickly," Drama compliments me as she nibbles at a leftover slice of velvet cake. "It would probably take a lot of ponies working in concert to take down four high-profile targets across that much space in one day."

Worth a shrug. "I had plenty of help." Three cheers for Reddocite.

"So, have you heard anything from Canterlot on how it's coming up there?" my host inquires.

"The last letter I got before this mess started said that the Princess was summoning help from across Equestria," I tell her. "She estimated a week before everypony who was going to travel there arrived. They'll start researching and brainstorming methods for interdimensional travel then."

"Such a casual thing to say," Drama comments with a giggle. "A group of ponies just getting together and looking up how to travel across universes, like they're just checking on an eagle's wingspan or something else that's equally mundane."

"Well of course it's going to take a while," I admit. "It's probably going to take them months to put something together, if they're able to at all."

"Not to be a downer, but I'm thinking closer to a year." She finishes her cake and sets the plate aside. "Maybe longer."

"I hope not. The longer I'm away, the longer that Dr. Weil has his way with Neo Arcadia." I can't afford to be a pessimist in these circumstances, because that would mean giving up. I've never been called a quitter before, and I don't want to find out what it's like now.

"That's assuming Zero doesn't find some way to stop him before then," Drama points out. "Given how much you talk about your crush's capabilities, I'd assumed him to be some sort of legendary warrior."

"He was," I admit. "Before he besmirched his reputation by joining the Resistance, he was held in high regard by pretty much everyone for his unstoppable combat prowess and past friendship with X. When Dr. Ciel woke him up, it only took him five weeks for him to remove that copy from power. This was on top of him running an estimated ten different missions into enemy territory, warding off several enemy attacks, finding every Cyber-Elf we had stashed away, and dealing with what I've long suspected to be a serious case of amnesia. Honestly, I could go on all night about his capabilities."

"And you don't think he'll be able to stop this 'Weil' character on his own?"

Hmm...

My interview with Mr. Lede had me stating that I felt that Zero could use all the help he could get. With that said, Weil's not invincible. For all of Omega's power with the Dark Elf at his disposal, Zero was still capable of matching him. That last battle was 95% his work; if the Dark Elf hadn't shown the ability to mend Omega's damage (at least, that's what it looked like when we were on our way in), no outside help would have been required.

Of course, Weil's a mad genius. I dread the idea of him creating something worse than Omega, if such a thing is possible. The thought of him being able to destroy Zero is unthinkable, but on the off-chance that something could... "Whether he can or not, I can't risk it. In light of his long list of crimes against both races, I doubt anyone would complain too much if Dr. Weil was given a legitimate death sentence. And at the end of the day, I can't let him destroy Zero. I'm the only one who gets that privilege."

...I think I managed to shove my foot in my mouth again: Drama's eyes are glittering. "Well then, dearie. When the time comes for us to put together a care package, should we include a card for Hearts and Hooves Day?"

"I don't know what that is." And I'm afraid you're going to tell me.

"Oh, it's really quite simple. It's a day when ponies let their loved ones know how much they care about them!" Drama traces a familiar shape in the air with her hooves. "Now, there may or may not have been somepony's death involved in its origins, so I think that occasion would be perfect for you!"

She's not talking about Valentine's Day, is she? Even after centuries of war and pain, there are some traditions that just won't die like they ought to. Each year, people keep sending me carloads of synthesized chocolates while happily ignoring the fact that I can't eat them. And don't even get me started about what happened the one time I tried returning them in person. "Drama, you're reading too much into this. I want to kill him, not serenade him."

"Hear me out, Fairy, hear me out!" She's gesturing more emphatically now, punctuating what she's saying with little hoof-sized illusions. "You could send him a card that says 'meet me at this location so that I can show you how I feel about you'. Then after you skewer him, you could give him a good-bye kiss! It's a self-disposing romance! It's perfect!"

I can't adequately describe my face right now. Maybe you can imagine it. "You're a creepy little marionette master, not a matchmaker. Stop interfering in my lack of a love life. It's not going to work out the way you're describing it."

"I don't see why not. You didn't object when I called him 'your crush'."

...! Did she say that? I think she did, and I missed it completely! Drama Heart, for the love of X...!

---A flash of light brings me back to reality, and is that a camera she's hiding from me? "Couldn't resist," Drama says cheerfully. "Long after you're gone, I want a picture to remember you by."

The corners of my mouth are twitching as I slump against the wall. There's something threatening to escape my chest right now, and it's all I can do not to smile. "I walked right into that one, didn't I?" I ask, waiting for the coolant to drain from my face.

"With bells on, dearie. With bells on."

The whole thing was blatantly ridiculous, and she knew it---!

...

...

Once Leviathan started laughing, it took half a minute for her to stop. Always one to give in to her emotions, Drama didn't fare much better.

It's been a few hours since that conversation. Drama Heart's long since gone to bed, my auto-repair is about halfway done dealing with the scrapes I received from Statuette, and I've decided to relax on the roof for a bit. I saw the local pegasi working with the clouds when I was returning from the Police station, and that suggested to me that there was some rain in the forecast. If so, then I want to have a front row seat for it.

I can faintly hear somepony in a neighboring building listening to something on their record player, and it has me dwelling on recent events. The singer's correct: time does, in fact, come in waves. So far, I like to think that it hasn't washed me away yet.

But I'm assuming you've been paying attention. If you have, then you're aware of the conflict I'm facing right now. It doesn't take much deliberation to determine that I'm frightened.

Neo Arcadia's my home, and I've made that clear repeatedly. I'm afraid for what it'll become under Weil's rule. But at the same time, having been here in Manehattan for less than a month, I'm worried for the residents here as well. There are signs of fear---more specifically fear of me---but there have been plenty of others who are willing to be friendly. They don't deserve to be hurt by these strange events.

It's strange. When I 'died', there was only one individual I could call a friend, and he burned that bridge years ago. In the short time that I've been here, I've met a slew of different people who have proven themselves to me. Gray and her family. Drama Heart. Bossa Nova. Turkey Bowl. Coffee-and-Cream. Charity Kindheart, wherever she is now. Maverick and Magnum, to a lesser extent. Princess Celestia. Even Shining Armor and his girlfriend, considering I only met them all of once. I could probably add Babs Seed to that list, too.

Once Weil is dealt with... would it be possible for me to come back and see them all again? Would I be able to settle here if I needed to?

Would I be able to put a stop to this one-sided rivalry of mine before a Z-Saber rips me apart?

I sigh. Old friend, I wish more than ever that I'd listened to your complaints about Copy X's rule. You were always able to see things that I couldn't. If I had so much as acknowledged the possibility that you were right, I would've loved to hear what sort of advice you had to offer me now.

I can feel the first few drops of rain hitting me, but it doesn't have the appeal that it did a few minutes ago. I need to be someplace where I can think more deeply.

...

A moment later I'm heading straight west, roof-hopping my way towards the ocean.

Another day, another night. I wish I'd brought something to read... but then you don't see too many waterproofed books down here.

An eye cracked open, viewing the darkness above the creature with clarity.

Maybe I should do what my son did. Travel inland, see Equestria, have adventures. It beats being bored down here.

That eye momentarily rested on the silhouette that the pony civilization was situated upon. A short while ago, she thought she saw two specks flitting away from a hole in the island. She'd watched, waiting for the motion to repeat itself, but it never did. She'd concluded that it was just her imagination.

I don't get out much. It makes sense that I would start seeing things. Maybe I should investigate.

...Nah, it's not really worth the effort of moving. The seafloor's too comfortable.

Movement got her attention on the ocean surface: the familiar speckle of rain hitting the water. The local pegasi, busy little creatures they are. They're always so hard-working, it's actually admirable. It's almost enough for me to wander someplace else, just to see what areas where they don't have any sway are like.

More movement, this one more concentrated: something had jumped into the water at the island's coast. The rumble of a sigh left her. During the day, there were plenty of ponies moving about on the ocean's surface for recreation and work. She couldn't think of a good reason why somepony would jump into the ocean at night, however: that way lay thoughts that she didn't want to entertain.

She started to lift herself off the seafloor, to go through the motions of tunneling through the water to save somepony who didn't know what they were doing by throwing their life away... but paused, squinting at the speck and realizing that something was off. It didn't look like anything she'd ever seen in all of her centuries of living, for one thing. For another...

Is it corkscrewing? That's what its motions remind me of... it's curving around, twisting and turning as it dives.

For a moment she recalled her younger days, when she spent her carefree time doing the same thing this individual was. It's not out to end its own life. It's enjoying itself.

"Kyahahahaha!"

An echo reached the creature, and she recognized what it was. Laughter. This is no mere land-dweller. This is someone meant for the ocean. It's in no danger, if it can laugh loudly while submerged. I envy how much fun it's having.

It smiled as it watched the playtime in progress. I'm curious now, so I'd say this creature is worth meeting. Up and at 'em, self. Let's get your old bones a'movin'.

This swim is just what I needed.

No urgent missions to deal with. Nopony else around me. No rushing to get anywhere. It's just me, the sea life, and the ocean. When you're entirely submerged in an activity you enjoy to the gills, you can't help but laugh.

...Ha! 'To the gills'. I have to remember that one. I'll take it over 'gift horse' any day.

I close my eyes and shift my movements entirely to autopilot. There's nothing around here for me to collide with, so I'm confident that I can devote my entire mind to my dilemma---

Incoming Class-C Threat. Evasive action recommended!

Evasive...? But there isn't anything down here! There shouldn't be!

My eyes open, and I shift them to Deep Sea mode upon doing so. Everything in the dark ocean becomes as crystal clear as the city is in the daylight, and with no real light sources nearby I'm in no danger of being blinded this go around. Now, what is it that has my systems wor-riheeheeheed---!

The source of my sudden anxiety slows to a stop. "Simmer it down, tiny thing. I'm not going to hurt you."

When I was swimming back to Manehattan from that resort town, I'd registered the presence of something that I'd classified as a legitimate sea monster. I was not wrong. This creature is massive, easily trumping in length (but not bulk) every whale I've ever seen or heard about. Its finned, serpentine body measures approximately 150 feet from nose to tail, and its dragon-like head---softer than Metallium's and lacking horns, but still very similar---is big enough to swallow me whole. The scales that coat it are a midnight blue, and...

...

...and what in blue blazes is a giant sea snake doing with that much hair? I'm serious! There's this tremendous mop of fruity red hair done up in... I don't even know what to call that shape! A home for fleas, a hive for the buzzing bees---! A beehive? Yes, that's it, but what's a creature like this even doing with hair in the first place?! I have so many questions!

Said creature huffs, planting a hand on its non-existent hip. I'm just now noticing that it's wearing a pearl necklace near its head and earrings in its fin-like ears for some inane reason. "What's wrong, hon? Have you never met a sea serpent before?"

And how does a creature of that size get a speaking voice that actually sounds normal for a human?! Her voice should really be deeper pitched! "Well, I... um..." Get it together, girl, and salvage the dignity! "...No. I'm... new around here. Putting it mildly. It's just..."

"It's the scales, isn't it?" Her tail curves into my line of sight as she frowns at it. "I really hate this shade of blue. Makes me look like I'm bringing an eternal night on the world. And I can't change it. They make hair dye up on the surface, but nothing for scales."

"It's not the scales," I assure her. "It's... I don't even know how to phrase it."

The creature sighs. "It's the hair, ain't it? If it ain't the scales, it has to be the hair."

"It's not. Or to be accurate, it's not just the hair." The word I need pops into my mind. "It's the everything. When I picture a sea serpent, I see a large monster capable of sinking ships and inspiring legends in the hearts of pony mariners. Not..." I gesture helplessly at her. "...a giant snake housewife."

"I'll have you know that my husband passed on a decade ago from natural causes," she answers me, arms folded. "And what a marvelous husband he was, too!"

"...And that's what you gleaned from that. Because of course."

The serpent brings her face up close. It takes all of my training and programming not to flinch as her black pupils---and black irises too, what even---center on me. "Now you're something I've never met. Been from one end of this ocean to the other, and in my opinion you're truly one of a kind. What are you?"

I tell her.

Once again, the expressiveness of sapient fauna amazes me. 'Puzzled sea serpent' isn't a term you hear often. "A robot? Never heard of them."

I'm wondering... "You haven't heard about what's happening up in the city?"

"I'm not a young snake, hon. I don't get out much anymore. The last time that I fully surfaced within a kilometer of pony civilization was a moon ago, and that was fifty miles inland." She grimaces. "So much energy just to move around."

I smile, idly kicking my legs back and forth to keep myself floating in place. My old confidence is returning. "Well then... do you have a name, by the way? I've got a story for you, and I'm not going to just keep calling you 'snake'."

This is getting to be a novelty. A strange one, but still nice.

How does time pass by this quickly?

I had planned this jaunt to last just long enough to help me think, but my internal clock is telling me that it's past midnight now. I've spent the entire time talking to this snake, who's introduced herself as 'Tiffany Polari' (which is the most normal name I've heard since I arrived here). The both of us are reclining against the coastal wall, talking about ourselves, the lives we've led and the things we've seen. All the while, the sea's non-sapient life goes about its business; whale calls echo back to us from time to time, and some fish are investigating me curiously.

Tiffany wasn't as fear-inspiring as I thought she was. I'm certain she could've put up a fight if she wanted to, since her hand's about as big as I am, but she's more emotional and snarky than threatening. I'm guessing that's the rationale behind my systems labeling her as Class-C instead of something bigger, since I'm certain she probably could've flattened me if she had any sort of combat experience.

I managed to find out a bit more about world affairs than I would've discovered in Manehattan alone. Aside from the existence of a race of hippogriffs turned seaponies---going to look into that later---I learned that assorted countries and kingdoms in the southern hemisphere are being slowly but steadily victimized by a conqueror who calls himself 'The Storm King'. Tiffany admits that she hasn't been down there in a while, so circumstances might have changed by now, but somehow I doubt that.

Personally, I believe---and Tiffany agrees---it's only a matter of time before this Storm King decides to move up north. Given the lack of global communications beyond dragonfire, I have to wonder if Celestia is aware of any of this. Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure. This information's going into my next letter to her.

Eventually the conversation reaches the point where my budding fondness of Equestria and fear for the well-being of my home's inhabitants becomes known. I didn't expect Tiffany to do more than listen, but as it turns out she does have something to contribute to the topic.

...

"My kind can live for centuries, so I've had a number of children in that time. Even though they're adults now, I still worry about them. My youngest---truly fabulous, but an oddball through and through---decided to swim inland twenty years ago and explore Equestria, and he regales me with the odd story whenever he thinks to visit. One of the strangest ones was when he got caught someplace called 'Flash Freeze Lake' and was rescued by a donkey."

That sounds like a pleasant tourist attraction, but she's getting off topic. I wave a hand at her, gesturing for her to continue.

"What I'm getting at, hon, is that no matter how confident you are in someone's strength or abilities, it's natural to worry about their well-being. It's alright to want to coddle and protect them. At the same time, at some point you need to become able to let them go and swim freely. From your stories, I think you've done your job adequately---not 'perfectly', given your crimes, but adequately. But maybe it's time you let someone else take charge? That Zero warrior you're going on about seems like the type to have others look up to him."

Tiffany levels a finger a few inches away from me before I can reply. "Now, I'm not saying you should just give up on going home, tiny fish. Keep on trying if that's what you want. But if the worst happens, and you don't make it? Just remember that it's not the end of the world, a'ight? Grieve for lost opportunities and associates long gone. But remember that at the end of the day, as long as there's water, you can just keep on swimming." She withdraws her finger and nods. "We all go where the tides and waves take us, little sweetheart. Where would we be if we couldn't adapt?"

She's... huh. Fairly poetic, and I'll need to think about this some more, but I believe she may be right. Interesting way of looking at it. "You know, for a 150-foot snake, you're a good conversationalist," I compliment her. "I needed to hear that."

"And for a baby manta ray, you have a lot on your mind," she returns, though she blushes as she says it... I think? Her face's hue seems to have shifted a little, but I'm not clear on how to interpret that. It could easily be a trick of the water. "Come back down here if you ever want to talk some more, hon. You know where to find me."

"I just might do that." I push myself off the outcropping I was seated on, the fish that were examining me making room. "It's been a busy day. Time to get back to base."

"Sleep tight---"

Faster than I can react, something big makes contact with me. It's not doing me any physical harm. Seems rather soft, actually---

Tiffany's face moves away from me. Despite the differences in species, I recognize the universal expression of a caring parent bidding a child good-night. "---and don't let the barracudas bite!" she finishes. With a wave, she twists her way past me back down into the ocean depths.

... ...!

Kissed. By a sea serpent. With lips as big as I am.

I think... I think I need to lie down. Yes. Back to the Pyre. Immediately. Sleep. And let us never speak of this again.

Author's Note:

The music links for this chapter include: "Simple Directions", from The Sims 3; "Vagabond", by WILD; and "Clocktowers Beneath the Sea", from A Hat in Time.

Man alive, was this chapter difficult for me to write. The second half of it just did not want to come together in my mind. But finally it's done, and I can move ahead to something that's hopefully easier for me---namely, another edition of Manehattan's newspaper.

Tiffany Polari is an original character of mine, but her son is canonical to the source material. Think about it, if you haven't done so already. :twilightsmile:

Ko-Fi tip jar!

Trope Page!

PreviousChapters Next