• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 11,447 Views, 3,501 Comments

Mass Effect: Element of Kindness - CommanderApplejack



[CYOA] While exploring an old ruin an unfortunate accident sends Fluttershy halfway across the galaxy, how will the shy pegasus cope with being stuck away from her friends?

  • ...
26
 3,501
 11,447

PreviousChapters Next
Citadel - Saren

Chapter 50

Citadel – Saren

The entire council chamber was empty… except for the corpses of the unlucky people who hadn’t been able to get out of there before the shooting had started. Fires from the heavy fighting that had likely occurred here also lit the chamber, blanketing the roof in a layer of smoke.

Only a few geth shock troopers stood in the way of the group as they advanced up the stairs to the platform where audiences with the Council would be held. In comparison to the resistance outside, these last few machines were but a mere annoyance to be cleared away before they could reach their true objective – Saren.

The offending turian stood on the audience platform working a holographic interface as they arrived. Finished typing his commands, he made a small jump forward off of the platform out of the group’s line of sight. Before anyone could react, Saren rose up again, standing on his hovering platform and threw a grenade. The entire group scrambled to cover as the shrapnel bounced off shields and armor.

“I was afraid you wouldn’t make it in time, Shepard,” Saren said as he arrogantly stood on his platform, the partially robotic turian looking down at the cover the team had hidden behind. None of the group dared to peak out as they waited for the commander to make a response to the rogue Specter.

“In time for what?” Shepard asked back, humoring the turian for the moment.

“The final confrontation. I think we both knew it was going to end like this,” Saren answered. “You’ve lost. You know that, don’t you? In a few minutes Sovereign will have full control over all the Citadel’s systems. The relay will open and the reapers will return.” Fluttershy couldn’t believe what she was hearing. The turian was so far indoctrinated that even facing overwhelming numbers wasn’t enough for him to stop preaching the reaper’s dogma.

“I’ve still got a few tricks up my sleeve!” Shepard shouted back, causing the turian to let out a chuckle.

“I must admit that you and your ilk have surprised me on occasion. The encounter with your pegasus friend on Virmire caused me to reconsider some things. I had been getting lax on my measures to prevent Sovereign’s indoctrination, something she made me realize when she used that unusual ability of hers on me. When Sovereign offered to implant me to strengthen my resolve I refused. I have sufficient motivation without it.” Fluttershy felt her heart skip a beat as she realized something.

He’s still fighting the indoctrination internally. He still might be saved!

“You know what you’re doing is wrong! You’re fighting Sovereign’s influence even if you won’t admit it!” Shepard shouted back, echoing Fluttershy’s sentiment.

“I won’t be swayed from my task, Shepard, the reapers will come, and if we won’t change sides, then everything we know will be wiped out from existence! Join us and Sovereign will find a place for you too!” Saren said, trying to sway Shepard to his camp. Something that was obviously not going to work.

“Saren, you can fight the indoctrination! The reapers don’t have to come this cycle. We can stop them!” Fluttershy shouted at the Turian in a desperate attempt to get him to see her point of view. Surprisingly Saren flinched back at the pegasus’ words instead of just dismissing them like he had done with Shepard.

“No, Sovereign has showed me what we can become under their leadership. The symbiotic relationship between my organic matter and machine parts is just an example of the wonders they can introduce. It gives the strength of both and the weaknesses of neither!” Saren shouted back, starting to sound more like he was trying to convince himself rather than trying to convince his opponents. “I am a vision of the future, the evolution of all organic life! This is our destiny. Join Sovereign and experience a true rebirth!”

Shepard looked at Fluttershy and motioned for her to continue, and the rest of the squad were also looking at the pegasus to see if she could convince Saren. All except Wrex who just looked like he wanted to put a blast of shrapnel into the turian and be done with it.

“Sovereign has not won yet. We can stop it from taking control of the station! If you step aside, then we can stop the invasion!” Fluttershy yelled. They were running out of time, and if Saren couldn’t be swayed, they might have to fight him regardless.

“We can’t stop it, not forever! I know you saw the visions as well. You saw what happened to the protheans. They’re too powerful!” Saren desperately shouted back, the mask of unwavering conviction cracking.

“That’s not true! I’m still around, and I’m sure you know that my species should have been wiped out in the last cycle!” Fluttershy yelled back, using the new knowledge she had gained from Vigil. “They are not perfect and fighting back is possible. You know this!”

Saren looked troubled for a moment before replying, “Maybe you’re right. Maybe there’s still a chance for… ugh” Saren grunted, dropped his pistol, and clutched his head. “Sovereign is too strong… I can’t… It’s too late for me.”

He’s fighting it. He’s not gone beyond redemption, but we’re running out of time as well! Do we have the time to wait for something that might be in vain anyway? Maybe if I…

1. [Use the Stare in an attempt to purge the indoctrination]

2. You can do it. Sovereign can’t keep his hold over you!

3. We’re out of time. Restrain him!

4. [Perfect moment to take him out now]

[Vote link]

Author's Note:

Getting so close!:pinkiehappy: I'm really enjoying writing these last few chapters:twilightsmile:

I hope you enjoyed! :twilightsmile:

[Paragon] or [Renegade] are colored when available, though normal options might also contribute to one or the other. As for the shippers under us, [Romance] is now also a thing.
When an option is not available due to various reasons it will be colored [Grey]

https://www.strawpoll.me/18325444
[Certainty: 70]

Now edited by gerandakis and lordelliot

Remember that comments are like authors' food, we gain energy from them. Constructive criticism is welcome.

PreviousChapters Next