• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 11,393 Views, 3,500 Comments

Mass Effect: Element of Kindness - CommanderApplejack



[CYOA] While exploring an old ruin an unfortunate accident sends Fluttershy halfway across the galaxy, how will the shy pegasus cope with being stuck away from her friends?

  • ...
26
 3,500
 11,393

PreviousChapters Next
Awkward

Chapter 130

Awkward

Your eyes are beautiful. 78%

“Your eyes are pretty,” Rainbow murmured continuing to gaze at Tali with a clouded mind. The quarian in question freezing, her typing on her omni-tool completely stopping. For a couple more seconds the two stared at each other before Dash's mind cought up to her mouth and her pupils shrunk. “I-I mean.. I'm… uhh…”

“Wha-”

“IthinkIshouldgobye!” within the blink of an eye Rainbow flew towards the entrance of the engineering bay, clipping her wing on the door as it didn't open fast enough, and rolling out into the hallway before mashing the up button in the elevator. Her rate of breathing was going through the roof as her mind raced.

You stupid, stupid, feather-brained pegasus! What in Tartarus were you thinking?!

Rainbow made a beeline to the port observation bay the moment the elevator opened up and jumped into cover behind the bar.

What is she going to think now!... What am I going to think now?! That was so… sappy?

Rainbow gagged at the memory of the mushie sentence she'd uttered but the massive blush on her cheeks told another story.

I can just ignore this, right? We should be headed to that reaper, I can't go about distracting her more now, can I?... No, we should focus on the mission…

Yeah…


Luna stepped into the small base that was attached to the reaper, a frown on her face as she lit her horn and cast an aura over the rest of the group. A heavy weight seemed to be lifted off of Dash's shoulders as the aura washed over her.

“This is truly a vile place…” Luna growled. “The dark energy here will not affect our minds but I would not recommend remaining here for long.”

“Wasn’t planning to,” Shepard agreed. “Rainbow, Tali, take point. Luna, Samara, you two bring up our rear. Fluttershy you’re in the middle with me.”

“As you command,” Samara answered, as she stayed in the back with Luna. Rainbow and Tali glanced at each other but said nothing, proceeding with their task to lead the group into the reaper to retrieve the IFF tag. Both of them were scanning their environment thoroughly as the Normandy had detected a geth vessel connected to the reaper as well.

The Cerberus research facility connected to the reaper was completely abandoned, the steps of the group echoing through the hallways. Rainbow felt a shiver go up her spine as the emptiness was just… wrong.

“There are no signs of fighting… I don’t think the geth are responsible for what happened here,” Fluttershy said to Shepard as the entire facility seemed clean and without the scars of battle.

“Yes,” Shepard agreed. “We may be encountering resistance from indoctrinated personnel in here.”

“That’s fantastic,” Tali grumbled as she opened up the door that lead onto the scaffolding built around the reaper. The entire facility shook as the door opened and Joker called in from the Normandy.

“Normandy to shore party! The reaper just put up kinetic barriers, I don’t think we can get through from this side!”

“Then we’ll just have to de-activate the reaper’s shield generators as well as find that IFF. Any idea where we could find those, EDI?” Shepard asked.

“I detected a heat spike coming from inside the reaper, this is most likely it’s mass effect core. Be advised, taking out this core will also de-stabilize the reaper’s orbit.”

“Oh great, I’m sure we’ll enjoy crashing into a gas giant the moment we de-activate the core,” Dash sarcastically said.

“I’m sure Joker can pull us out before we reach crushing depth. We’ll make a sweep for any survivors and intel.”

“Copy that Commander, good hunting,” Joker said, cutting off the radio.

The sight on the scaffolding was much worse than the clean facility had been. Corpses, seemingly burned, lay on them as the group passed by. A stench also permeated the air as it was clear these humans had lain here for a good while. A groan suddenly came from the depths below which put everyone on edge as half the group immediately recognized the sound.

“Husks!” Shepard called out as the first of the corrupted humans crawled up from below. The first wave was easily repealed as the five divided themselves over the edges of the platform they found themselves on and prevented any of the husks from climbing up in the first place. A bit further up another group of husks tried the same thing, this time getting further as there was an increased number of them.

“These things… they were the scientists, weren’t they?” Luna said, looking at the corrupted remains in horror.

“Yeah. Nothing we can do for them, except for putting them out of their misery, now though,” Fluttershy answered as they pushed deeper, the entire group on edge as bigger groups of husks could easily overwhelm them if they weren’t careful.

Bang!
Bang!

Around a corner up ahead two rounds flew by as two husks, half their skull missing, dropped over.

“Shit. Fluttershy, scout ahead,” Shepard ordered, the pegasus activating her stealth cloak and disappearing into thin air. Shy carefully peeked around the corner where the husks had fallen, carefully scanning for any movement before walking up ahead. Another howl coming from below interrupted her little scouting mission as she rushed back to the group that was now running towards her in the opposite way.

“Didn’t see anything that can shoot but they are going to be an issue!” Fluttershy lobbed a singularity at the mass of husks running their way, tearing up a swath of them with the biotic attack. Again the group fought the corrupted beings while slowly giving space to the advancing husks as to not get overrun. Luna, this time, stood in front as any husks managing to advance through the hail of fire would be cut down by her sword. This, however, did not shield the group completely as a husk managed to get into the midst of the group and took a swipe at Tali… it never connected.

Dash had the air forced out of her lungs as the husk slammed into her instead and forced her onto the ground where she slid away. Tali responded to the monster by blowing away a portion of its head before turning to Rainbow.

“Rainbow, are you okay?” she said with a tinge of concern in her voice.

Rainbow got onto her hooves, shaking her head to get rid of a bit of disorientation. “Just a bruise,” she groaned.

“How many people did Cerberus send in here...” Fluttershy said in awe of the number of corpses littering the floor after they cleaned up the rest of the husks.

“Too many,” Shepard grunted. “We should expect this from them by now.”

“What are those?” Luna stared in horror at a large monument of sorts, spikes sticking into the air with bodies impaled on top of them.

“Dragon’s teeth, we encountered them two years ago as well,” Tali told her grimly. “They are the things that create the husks.”

Luna remained silent as she stared at the sight, shaking her head to continue on again as she had nothing to say on the matter which she hadn’t already. The five passed an airlock down into an internal section of the reaper.

Bang!
Bang!
Bang!

Everyone but Luna hit the deck as rounds whizzed by splattering something behind the group. Fluttershy, before hitting the ground, had already fired a snapshot in the direction of the incoming fire with her Black Widow rifle.

“Hold fire!” Shepard ordered as he saw the three husks that had managed to sneak up on the group from behind. Fluttershy looked through her scope to see what had fired on them, finding a geth standing up though it didn’t look like any regular geth she’d encountered before. It had N7 plating welded on as a shoulder pad along with a significant hole in its chest. Had Fluttershy been Tali she might have nailed the machine right through said hole, but curiosity took over so she decided to wait as it hadn’t tried killing them yet.

“Shepard commander,” it simply stated before turning and walking out of sight deeper into the reaper.

“What in the world… It actually talked?” Fluttershy questioned in confusion.

“An individual geth should not be able to talk, they have as much intelligence as a varren,” Tali said also in slight awe.

“Guess that leaves one thing to do then,” Shepard smirked, “We’ll just have to ask it how it does that ourselves.”

Author's Note:

hehe, can't wait for Legion's involvement. It'll be very interesting.

[Paragon] or [Renegade] are colored when available, though normal options might also contribute to one or the other. As for the shippers under us, [Romance] is now also a thing.
When an option is not available due to various reasons it will be colored [Grey]

[No Vote]

Remember that comments are like authors' food, we gain energy from them. Constructive criticism is welcome.

PreviousChapters Next