• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 11,417 Views, 3,500 Comments

Mass Effect: Element of Kindness - CommanderApplejack



[CYOA] While exploring an old ruin an unfortunate accident sends Fluttershy halfway across the galaxy, how will the shy pegasus cope with being stuck away from her friends?

  • ...
26
 3,500
 11,417

PreviousChapters Next
Justice

Chapter 108

Justice

Gabby hopped over to the group of three aliens popping right in the middle of them. “Hi! I’m Gabby, you sound like you have a problem and I like solving problems!”

The C-sec officer rolled his eyes and sighed. “Please stay out of this, I’m trying to take a statement here.”

“There’s nothing to talk about! She stole my credit chit. Arrest her!” the volus shouted as Garrus came walking up from behind.

“I’m sure there’s more to it than that,” Garrus said getting the attention of the group as well, the C-Sec officer groaning.

“Hello Vakarian, could you not interfere with one of my investigations, thank you.”

“Ahh, come on Tammert, you guys always loved when I helped out with some of the street work!” Garrus smirked, getting a deadpan stare from the C-Sec officer.

“This is still not getting my chit back! You still need to arrest her!” the volus shouted at the officer in anger as he was being ignored.

“Take a good, deep, breath and calm down sir,” Garrus told the volus who sputtered something incoherently. “What happened ma’am?”

“I was going to the used ship dealer when he ran into me, he didn’t even apologize before barging off. A minute later he comes running over with this C-Sec officer and accuses me of robbing him!” The quarian explained, sounding very ticked off.

“Maybe he lost it when he knocked into you?” Gabby asked looking over to the volus. “I’m sure this is just all a misunderstanding and it’s still back at the store! Oh I know, I’ll go take a look!” Gabby spread her wings and with a gust of air was off towards the aforementioned store, leaving nothing but dust in her wake. Garrus, although not following the griffin, kept a good eye on the store where she’d shot off to.

“Bah, You can’t turn your back on these clanless quarians. Thieves, all of them!” The volus rumbled.

“Hey! I’m no thief! I’ve been trying to get a job but each time I go somewhere there’s a sign that says no quarians!” the accused quarian said in response.

“Did you detect a credit chit on her, Tammert?” Garrus asked of his former colleague who rolled his eyes but knew better than to argue with Garrus after the turian had latched onto a case.

“No, but that doesn’t mean she didn’t stash it somewhere. You know what they are like Vakarian, they’re just a bunch of vagrants that run around and cause trouble,” Tammert responded, entering some information for his report on his tablet.

“All I know is that we look at quarians kind of unfairly around here, took me a while and some work with another to figure that out,” Garrus growled, seeing Gabby dart from store to store before flying back towards them at a speed that looked like she was going to crash into them.

“Found it!” She exclaimed, flairing her wings just in time to make an abrupt stop in the volus. “You left it at the Saronis Applications store, the clerk there is holding it there for you!”

“Oh. Well. The quarian could have stolen it.” The volus didn’t even look behind him as he just walked off towards the store where his chit was stored.

Gabby couldn’t help but let her beak fall open in astonishment. “Wow, that was rude and that’s coming from someone who lives in Griffonstone!”

“I’ll close this even report, but I’ll be watching you. Get a permanent residency or I’ll run you for vagrancy,” Tammert muttered trying to walk off but finding himself blocked by Garrus.

“Just so you know, you’re an ass Tammert.”

“Buzz off Vakarian, I’ve actually got work to do,” Tammert growled back and pushed Garrus aside, marching off.

“Thank you, I-I wish I could offer you something more than words,” the quarian thanked. “I’m Lia’Vael by the way.”

“Glad to help!” Gabby squeaked happily.

“Yeah, no worries. Think you’ll be alright around here?” Garrus asked smiling at the Lia.

“I guess… I mean, most nights I eat nutrient past in a turian shelter but I’m surviving.”

“Huh, but you said you were going to the used ship dealer?” Gabby questioned as she imagined that costing a lot of credits.

Lia crouched down so she wasn’t towering over the small griffin. “Yes. I’d like to buy one to take back to the fleet but I haven’t been able to get a good job earn the credits. I tried to get some work helping to fix the damage after the attack here but no-one wants a quarian.”

“That’s so… mean,” Gabby said saddened. “Can I hug you?” Lia nodded hesitantly and Gabby shot forward to hug the quarian. “I’m sure you’ll get one of those ships at some point!”

The helmeted alien returned the hug for a moment before letting go. “Thank you for your kindness.”

“Hey, if you need a job, call this number. Just tell them Garrus Vakarian told you to call. They’ll get you some work.” Garrus sent the contact over to Lia’s omni-tool.

“I-I don’t know what to say...”

“Heh, don’t worry. I’ve got someone close to me who always reminds me of the value of some kindness here and there. Good luck Lia’Vael,” Garrus told her with a smile, leaving the stunned quarian.

“You know, even though you look a bit scary you’re actually really nice,” Gabby randomly said as they walked back to the clinic as Dash would probably be done soon.

“What someone looks like doesn’t determine what they are, kid. If people around here could get that into their skulls then Lia and other quarians could actually be very useful around here.”

“I guess so...”

The two of them entered back into the clinic and informed about Rainbow’s status, finding she’d be up and about within half an hour. So the two of them waited in the lobby, Gabby playing with her new omni-tool to figure all the ins and outs of the device. Eventually, the door at the back slid open to reveal a slightly groggy rainbow maned pegasus.

“I need a final signature and we’ll be done, miss,” the attendant said, leading dash to the front desk where she placed the signature. “Thank you and if complications arise don’t hesitate to visit a medical clinic to check it out.”

“Yeah, thanks I guess,” Rainbow replied absentmindedly, spotting Garrus sitting next to a very pre-occupied Gabby. Hovering over to the smirking turian Dash stared silently for a moment.

“Soo di-”

Smack

“That’s for using my pride against me,” Dash grumbled as she rubbed her hoof, Garrus’ carapace being much tougher than she’d anticipated.

“Guess I deserved that one,” he chuckled, shaking off the disorientation from the punch. “How is the implant feeling?”

“Strange, but I don’t really feel much to be honest. It’ll probably take some getting used to when the drugs wear off.”

“You’re probably right about that. Ask Fluttershy for a bit of help later, she can probably help you with the basics.” Garrus nudged Gabby who was still completely engrossed in her omni-tool, he could see her rummaging about with the settings.

“Huh? Oh! Hi Rainbow! Look at what Garrus got me!” she exclaimed showing the hologram around her forearm.

“Awesome! That’s going to be useful for you kid,” Dash said ruffling the feathers on her head. “So, have you got anything else planned?”

“Well no-” Garrus’ omni-tool beeped as a message came in, his face dropping into a frown as he finished reading the message. “Shepard responded, we need to immediately get ready to move out. He’s got a very time-sensitive tip and can’t linger on the Citadel. It’s pick up and go.”

“Sounds serious...” Gabby commented, Garrus nodding.

“Yes it is. Let’s go find Shy, we should have everyone ready the moment Shepard gets here”

Author's Note:

Nex chapter a vote again, I wanted to push ahead a bit and get things set up so no vote.

Next up: Reunion on the Normandy :twilightsmile:

[Paragon] or [Renegade] are colored when available, though normal options might also contribute to one or the other. As for the shippers under us, [Romance] is now also a thing.
When an option is not available due to various reasons it will be colored [Grey]

[No Vote]

Remember that comments are like authors' food, we gain energy from them. Constructive criticism is welcome.

PreviousChapters Next