• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 11,394 Views, 3,500 Comments

Mass Effect: Element of Kindness - CommanderApplejack



[CYOA] While exploring an old ruin an unfortunate accident sends Fluttershy halfway across the galaxy, how will the shy pegasus cope with being stuck away from her friends?

  • ...
26
 3,500
 11,394

PreviousChapters Next
Butterflies

Chapter 9

Butterflies

Are you okay, Liara? 96%

Although she was really tired, there was no way she could sleep if she didn't help Liara with whatever was bothering her. Opening her wings Fluttershy flew up to the desk, Liara finally noticing the presence of the pegasus. "Fluttershy?"

"Are you alright?" Fluttershy asked the obviously troubled asari, Liara shaking her head.

"It's nothing, don't worry about it." Liara tried to dismiss but after her conversation with Tali, Fluttershy wasn't going to back down.

"If it's nothing then you wouldn't be crying," Fluttershy stated matter of factly, her heart beating rapidly at the way she had spoken to the asari.

Did you really just say that, Fluttershy?! What is happening to you?

Liara looked at the pegasus in surprise, staying silent for a moment longer but relenting as Fluttershy didn't seem like she was about to give up. "It's about my mother," Liara said softly said, Fluttershy immediately understanding why the asari would be distraught. Liara's mother, Matriarch Benezia, had joined Saren who had sent his Geth to retrieve Liara to help him find the conduit. "I-I can't b-believe she'd..." The asari broke down into tears before finishing her sentence. Fluttershy moved closer and extended a wing, using it to rub Liara's back.

"Here now, I'm sure if your mother knew that Saren had sent his geth she'd have stopped him," Fluttershy comforted the crying asari,

"I-I know, but I can't shake the f-feeling that she knew and let it happen anyway," Liara sniffed, Fluttershy let her continue to cry into her shoulder while rubbing her back. "Thank you, Fluttershy. I needed that." Liara said after a few minutes sitting in the pegasus's embrace.

"Don't mention it, it's best not to let those feelings bottle up anyway," Fluttershy said as she gave Liara a comforting smile.

"I guess so," Liara chuckled as she wiped away the last of her tears, "Would you mind if I asked you a couple of questions?"

Fluttershy curiously looked at the asari, "What do you want to know?"

A smile crept onto Liara's face, "Well, I tried looking up your species only to come up with nothing. So essentially what I'm asking is where are you from or if you are a science experiment."

Fluttershy just managed to suppress a laugh at the question, the rest of the crew knew about the origins of Fluttershy by now but the asari hadn't been in the ship long enough for her to have picked up on that story. "I'm from a primitive world. A friend of mine found a ruin that we went to explore only to find a miniature mass relay, it somehow activated and I got myself sent to the Citadel," Fluttershy explained, "That was six days ago."

Liara looked at Fluttershy in awe, "You've been here for six days and you're this calm?!"

The yellow pegasus grimaced for a moment, "Well... I did panic when I first got to the Citadel but after meeting Tali, Shepard, Doctor Chakwas, and all the other people here on the Normandy it doesn't scare me as much anymore. I just miss everypony at home, they must be worried sick after I just disappeared on their end."

"I'm sure you'll find your home again at some point. I'll ask a few of my contacts if they ever found a primitive world like yours," Liara told the pegasus who suddenly had a large smile on her face.

"I don't know what to say, thank yo—" Fluttershy's sentence was interrupted by a loud yawn that reminded Fluttershy of why she had come to the room in the first place.

"That's so cute!" Liara squealed, immediately bringing her hands up to cover her mouth. Her face turning a dark shade of purple just as Fluttershy's turned a shade of red. "I-I didn't mean it like that..." Liara stopped talking as she heard a suppressed laugh coming from the door, to the horror of both the asari and pegasus they found Commander Shepard leaning against the doorframe doing his best not to burst out laughing. "C-commander, I can explain!"

"I'm sure you can," He grinned, "But since I would hate to disturb you lovebirds any longer I'm going to leave, I'm sure Doctor Chakwas can get the two of you another mattress so you can work this out." He said leaving Fluttershy and Liara to blush even harder than they were already doing, the two of them swearing that they could hear the commander laughing through the door. An awkward silence fell over the room.

"I-I think Doctor Chakwas wanted to check my injury soon, I'd better go," Liara said breaking the silence.

"Y-yes, I should also be getting some sleep," Fluttershy stammered as she got off the desk and glided down to her sleeping spot, the two of them sharing a last glance before Liara left the storage area. Fluttershy groaned into her pillow the moment the door closed, afraid that she wasn't going to get the sleep she wanted tonight.

Fluttershy stood within the airlock of the Normandy next to Doctor Chakwas. Around them, Wrex, Kaidan, Ashely, Garrus, Liara, Tali, and Shepard stood with their armor and weapons ready to get out of the ship the moment the airlock opened. The frigate had reached Feros and had used its stealth drive to approach the planet unseen to anyone, informing only the colonists of their arrival.

"Doctor Chakwas, I want you to stay as close to me as possible. If we run into resistance I want you to take cover and listen to everything I tell you to do," Shepard told the doctor before turning to Garrus, "Vakarian, you're responsible for Fluttershy's safety."

"Got it, Shepard." The turian replied as he got his sniper rifle from his back, Joker's voice coming over the intercom moments later.

"Two minutes to the colony, Commander. Get ready to disembark!"

Fluttershy gulped as she heard the announcement, of course she had faced both Nightmare Moon and Discord but in those situations, nopony had gotten hurt. That was most likely not going to be the case this time. Garrus had crouched down to speak to Fluttershy as Joker gave his message. "You stay close to me and I'll make sure no-one will hurt you, got it?"

"Okay," Fluttershy responded, she was still really nervous but the turian somehow made her feel more at ease, something she chalked up to the fact that he wasn't too dissimilar from Rainbow Dash. Both the pegasus and turian had a fierce sense of right and wrong along with an unyielding loyalty to anyone they considered important.

"Thirty seconds, Commander."

Are you really up for this, Fluttershy? What if you panic?

1. Maybe It's better if I stay on the Normandy?

2. Follow Garrus

3. [Stay close to Garrus... very close]

4. [Commander, could I go with Liara instead?]

[Vote link]

Author's Note:

Will you guys pick one of the two or will you wait it out and see what options become available in the future? :scootangel:

Sometimes you've got to take risks to get results!

Also, from now if I give a paragon options will always come as pairs, since the nature of the fandom is simply more aligned with paragon and I still want to have some unpredictability for myself.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed! :twilightsmile:

[Paragon] or a [Renegade] Are colored when available, though normal options might also contribute to one or the other
When an option is not available due to various reasons it will be colored [Grey]

https://www.strawpoll.me/17756237

Remember that comments are like authors' food, we gain energy from them. Constructive criticism is welcome.

PreviousChapters Next