• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 11,412 Views, 3,500 Comments

Mass Effect: Element of Kindness - CommanderApplejack



[CYOA] While exploring an old ruin an unfortunate accident sends Fluttershy halfway across the galaxy, how will the shy pegasus cope with being stuck away from her friends?

  • ...
26
 3,500
 11,412

PreviousChapters Next
The Project

Chapter 90

The Project

Shining swallowed nervously as he gazed upon his armor. A large part of the right side of his barrel armor had bent outwards or was blown away entirely, giving him a good indication of the damage the heavy pistol had actually managed to do when the third shot hit.

“I take it there’s no time to repair that, is there?” Shining asked Fidelis who was standing on a pillar, observing the captain as he inspected his armor.

“The system didn’t have the resources available to patch it up while you were being worked on. If we were to wait for it to fully repair it now then we’d run out of the time you’ve given me,” she responded, cutting off her hologram to sink back into the pillar. “I had a slot for my module placed right at that strange module connected to your neck, it was the fastest way I could adapt the suit.”

“Right… So how do I get you in there?” Fidelis remained silent and a module popped out of the pillar, glowing bright blue. Shining gently levitated the relatively small module in front of his face, acting as if it were a newborn foal. After finding that it fit perfectly in the slot where his biotic amp was supposed to go, Shining went ahead and put on the suit and powered it back up. His body still ached terribly and the cold was definitely not gone, but this was no time to be worried about that.

Guess it’s good that she at least patched up the undersuit, that would have been awkward if I had to go out into a vacuum.

Shining felt a slightly cold sting in his neck as his armor’s systems booted back up and a shield appeared around him once more. “Wow, it’s really cramped in here. Guess I should have expected that.”

“Well, there’s nothing I can do about that I’m afraid. We’ve got other things to do right now.” Shining picked up the M-76 and checked his ammo, only one and a half clips left. He proceeded to follow the lights that would lead to what was supposed to be an exit. Fidelis had granted him access to all of her base’s doors so getting there was a breeze with her guidance. “Ready to head out, little one?”

“I-I guess?” the AI stuttered, making Shining chuckle.


“You’re nervous, aren’t you?”

“I only do logistics! I know nothing about fighting, which is clearly what you’re going to do!” She exclaimed in distress. “Just… be careful alright? There’s two of us in here now.”

“Wasn’t planning on getting shot again,” Shining told her with a confident smile, bringing his rifle up as he’d reached the final door and opened it. The door hissed as air from the outside came in and equalized the pressure. Familiar, clearly human-designed, scaffolding greeted him as he carefully stepped out of the hallway he’d been standing in. The walkways looked to be abandoned so the captain decided to waste no time in finding a way back into the human base, using elevators and signs to make his way to an entrance. When he did, Shining found another clock hanging above the doorway.

00:01:37:23

“That’s not good, I take it?” Fidelis asked as she projected herself on Shining’s omni-tool’s holographic display.

“No it’s not, but at least we’re not too late,” the captain growled, opening the door into the base proper. No humans had yet appeared, but he was sure that was soon going to change. “We need to get to the project’s control center and get this asteroid on its way.”

Entering the facility Shining rapidly moved through the hallways, moving closer to where the directions on the wall were pointing him. Through the windows outside Shining was able to spot the relay. The asteroid had gotten really close to it in the time he was out. Finally after a good ten minutes of nothing, Shining ran into his first obstacle. As the door in front of him opened, two human guards stood on the other side of it, completely caught off guard by the sudden appearance of the pony in front of them. Shining did not waste any time pointing his rifle and pulling the trigger, dropping the two humans rapidly. “Well, there goes our element of surprise.”

“A-are they dead?” Fidelis’ voice trembled again as Shining snagged up the thermal clips from the human’s belts. “Why?”

“We’re out of time and they’ve been corrupted by the reaper artifact they have standing in the open. It’s regrettable but we’re out of options,” Shining explained, going into a sprint now he still could make some decent ground. It took about two minutes for alarms to start blaring but by this point Shining recognized the hallways where he’d already walked through and knew where the control center was located. “Fidelis, can you lock down the doors of the project room if we get there?”

“I-I can try!” she replied, Shining storming into the control room where a couple of guards were already assembling and waiting to be sent someplace. Shining immediately let his rifle do its job and opened up on the closest guard. His horn also started glowing brightly as he powered up his shield spell. The two parties traded heavy fire but Shining was slowly gaining ground as he had the advantage of not having to pop out of cover to fire his levitating rifle. He could also use his superpowered shield to ensure his safety when things got dicy.

“What’s the status of those doors!” Shining shouted as he got into a firefight with one of the heavily shielded humans.

“They're closed but manual override is still possible!” Fidelis replied, as the human Shining was firing upon lost his shield and was cut down at the same time.

“Good enough, we just have to activate these engines and lock their controls!” Shining shouted over the roar of his rifle which cut out halfway due to a lack of remaining thermal clips. Letting out a loud warcry Shining charged at the last human and activated his omni-blade, slicing through the human’s armor as if it was butter. The captain then turned and sprinted towards the massive control panel that had two countdown timers ominously hanging over it, a window giving a good view of the massive engines that were supposed to drive the asteroid into the relay as a VI in the console greeted him as he approached. “Activate the project!” Shining ordered.

“Warning, the activating the project will result in an estimated three-hundred thousand casualties. Do you wish to continue?”

Shining’s will wavered as his heart sunk at the displayed number…

304942 lives… Celestia, please forgive me...

Author's Note:

Mission first, information later~ :trollestia:

[Paragon] or [Renegade] are colored when available, though normal options might also contribute to one or the other. As for the shippers under us, [Romance] is now also a thing.
When an option is not available due to various reasons it will be colored [Grey]

[No Vote]

Now edited by gerandakis and lordelliot

Remember that comments are like authors' food, we gain energy from them. Constructive criticism is welcome.

PreviousChapters Next