• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 11,452 Views, 3,501 Comments

Mass Effect: Element of Kindness - CommanderApplejack



[CYOA] While exploring an old ruin an unfortunate accident sends Fluttershy halfway across the galaxy, how will the shy pegasus cope with being stuck away from her friends?

  • ...
26
 3,501
 11,452

PreviousChapters Next
Cathedral

Chapter 186

Cathedral

Go with the earthponies to the city 74%

Fluttershy and Twilight were trotting among the caravan of ponies. Twilight had gotten a hat along with some cloth strips that hid her horn remarkably well, the unicorn having figured out that her active spells were the thing that allowed the detection devices that the earthponies had to find her. The road had become a little busier as they got closer to the city, farmers pulling their produce to go sell at the market joined them to have small talks about things like the weather and what the local news was.

Fluttershy had been sending data up to the Vindica the moment they had gotten back their connection to the vessel, Luna had decided to bring it in closer to get better scanning ability of the so-called 'blight' areas. The princess had also sent a message expressing a desire for a private video link at some point in the near future, she hadn't given a reason why though so Fluttershy would have to find somewhere private to do so.

“I've been told there are services going on in the cathedral all week, we can visit one after setting up our caravan at the market,” Anatoliy stated with excitement after he'd spent some time talking to one of the farmers. “We can blend you into the crowd that way."

"That would certainly be interesting," Fluttershy smiled as she adjusted her cloak a little, the fact that pegasi and unicorns were religious icons was... concerning at best. Something terrible had happened that completely wiped the two pony subspecies off this world and left only earthponies.

"I am honoured, I assure you you will be impressed with the effort put into them by the priests!" Anatoliy said, his excitement only heightening. The group of ponies soon arrived at the city's main gate and were bought passage into the bustling streets of the large settlement. The city was a long way off from the idyllic cities that dotted Equestria, badly paved roads seemed to be the norm for the majority of the place and the density with which the ponies lived could not be very healthy. They also saw a very large, well constructed, building deeper into the city which she assumed was the cathedral. The caravan stopped after reaching the massive marketplace and finding a spot to set up their stores.

Fluttershy and Twilight watched from within the formation of carts as the group they'd travelled with efficiently worked together. Anatoliy and Petrov approached them as things seemed to be about in place. "We are about done and my input isn't needed here any longer. If you could follow me then we shall try to catch a service at the Cathedral."

"Of course, please do lead the way," Fluttershy smiled as she had been studying what she was sure was the cathedral from a distance. she was proven right as they got closer to the building. The crowds were getting thicker too, ponies clearly going to whatever religious ceremony that was being planned.

“I wish I could take notes,” Twilight pouted as her magic would set off all the sensors these earthponies had and her omni-tool would probably has a similar effect. “Does either of them have any tools for mouth writing with them?”

“I'll ask,” Fluttershy said, but shaking her head as she got her reply from Anatoliy who didn't have any such thing on him. “I'll set our omni-tool to capture mode, that way it'll record anything we look at. You'll be able to go over it later.”

Twilight sighed as they go to the square in front of the cathedral, a large crowd already present there, and nodded. “We should hurry, otherwise there won't be any space. Stay close!” Anatoliy warned as he pushed into the crowd, Fluttershy making sure she and Twilight remained close behind their guide. They got some protests from ponies they pushed past but Anatoliy was able to talk down the ponies that got too angry with them... Right up to the moment they got stopped by a ceremonially dressed guard.

“If you are to enter this place then either tell your companion to dress appropriately or leave,” the guard stated to Anatoliy while looking at Twilight's hat. “This is a holy place, not some circus show where you dress up.”

“M-My lord, I-I apologize, b-but-”

The guard's eyes narrowed as he held up a hoof to stop Anatoliy. “Will you not follow my holy command?”

“I...” Anatoliy swallowed as he looked back at Twilight and Fluttershy. “No. I cannot.”

Another guard had joined the first as he had noticed his colleague holding up the group.

Damnit, he's taking our willingness to go as a sign that he has to take us now.

Hoping she could avoid a serious escalation, Fluttershy stepped between the guard and Anatoliy. “We are mere travelers who were invited here, will you deny us this service?” she asked, making the guard rear back as the foreign words somehow made sense in his mind. He looked conflicted as he did not understand what was happening.

Just a small extra push required.

Fluttershy pushed her wings from under her cloak, showing their tips from under the cloak. “Let us through and don't speak of us to anyone else.”

The guard took a step back, completely lost for words. His confusion lasted for a few seconds before his face twisted into a snarl and he lowered his spear.

“You dare this blasphemy?! I am a sentry of this sacred ground, you shall not deceive me!” the crowd pulled back from the scene as the second guard also brought down his weapon and others rapidly pushed through the crowd to the scene.

Buck.

The guard they'd been speaking with aimed his spear straight for Fluttershy's chest and thrust it forward. Fluttershy, who had no intention of being skewered, pushed off to the side, letting the tip of the spear graze the cloak before activating the omni-blade around her right wing and twisting around to cut the spear in half. The guard was clearly surprised as he hadn't expected anyone to be able to dodge at this close a range. Fluttershy rapidly followed her move up by flinging a biotic field at the second guard, sending him helplessly floating into the air, before returning her attention to the first guard and sending him flying back with a biotic shove.

In the swift action her cloak had come off completely, showing her armour and wings clearly for everyone to see. With the deception rendered useless, Twilight immediately pulled off the hat she had on and cast a thin, shimmering, bubble shield around them.

“What do we do now?” Twilight asked as she anxiously looked around at the crowd around them. Some were trying to flee in terror, others had just frozen, but a large part had lowered themselves to the ground and were shooting fearful glances towards the bubble shield. Anatoliy had frozen in place too, Petrov clinging to his fathers leg as they were in the middle of the entire situation and felt the sheer amount of power that now surrounded them.

This couldn't possibly have gone any worse...

“What we came here to do, just not in the way we were planning,” Fluttershy answered, facing the first guard that now lay shivering on the ground as he prostrated himself. “You. Approach.”

“I-I am not worthy, fair lady,” he nearly cried as he realised Fluttershy was talking to him, refusing to even look up at her.

Fluttershy sighed. “I wish to speak to your priests, could that be arranged?”

“Of course, fair lady!” he immediately said, standing up and sprinting into the cathedral, not once looking at either Fluttershy or Twilight. The second guard dropped to the ground as the biotic field ran its course, Fluttershy immediately turned her attention to him.

“You. You shall accompany us," she announced, as he stood dumfounded. Twilight lowered her shield, keeping the spell ready, and stepping up to Fluttershy's side.

“Are you sure about this?” Twilight asked.

Fluttershy nodded. “If we leave now we just wasted time.” She turned to Anatoliy and Petrov. “Thank you for your hospitality but I cannot ask you to follow us further.”

“To leave you now would be the greatest of insults,” Anatoliy stated, swallowing back his fear. “I promised to show you our cathedral and I will.”

Fluttershy nodded and sighed, looking over at the second guard.

“Lead us in.”

Author's Note:

I hit a horrible wall of writers block for pretty much all my stories, which, in combination with being very busy, is really putting a damper on the amount of time I spend on this website. Hopefully I can slowly start to close off some stories on here.

PreviousChapters Next