• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 11,413 Views, 3,500 Comments

Mass Effect: Element of Kindness - CommanderApplejack



[CYOA] While exploring an old ruin an unfortunate accident sends Fluttershy halfway across the galaxy, how will the shy pegasus cope with being stuck away from her friends?

  • ...
26
 3,500
 11,413

PreviousChapters Next
Mutiny

Chapter 41

Mutiny

Go with Shepard 58%

Fluttershy was following Shepard as he led her, Liara, and Wrex through the streets of Zakera Ward towards the nightclub. The krogan had jumped at the chance for free liquor while Liara hadn't given any explanation other than that she didn't have anything else to do. Garrus and Tali had both excused themselves, Garrus saying that he needed to do some needed calibrations on the MAKO while Tali had a couple of things she wanted to do in engineering.

The four of them, except Wrex, had opted to leave their armor on the Normandy as not to draw too much attention to themselves. Not that they were completely vulnerable. Fluttershy had already seen the modular shield generator Shepard had installed in his clothes and the pistol concealed under his jacket. As for herself and Liara, they could both create biotic barriers if the need arose. Though most of this had just been a precaution since the Citadel wasn't really dangerous most of the time, their only encounters being because they had looked for the trouble or were specifically targeted by assassins.

"...And stay out!" someone shouted from the top of the stairs that lead up to Flux, the salarian who had just been tossed out rolling down them. Fluttershy immediately shot forward to see if he was alright. Luckily for him he was fine, and he stood up and dusted off his clothes.

"Are you okay, and why were you just thrown out of there?" Shepard asked the salarian who huffed.

"Doran didn't have a clue what I was doing. He just assumed that I was doing so!" the salarian said angrily. Wrex chuckled.

"So how much did you rip them off for?" the krogan asked with some amusement.

"What no! I was just tipping the scales in my favor for an experiment!" the salarian defended himself which earned him an eye roll from Shepard.

"That's what cheating is. Have a nice day and goodbye,” Shepard said as he pushed past the salarian and into the nightclub. He had better things to do with his time. The moment they entered the club, Wrex tapped Shepard on his shoulder and grinned. Shepard, letting out a sigh, went up to a waiter and ordered a bottle of ryncol for the krogan.

Fluttershy, who had already mover further into the club, took it upon herself to go looking around for a bit. The guests of the club seemed too preoccupied with their alcohol, dancing, or gambling to care about the pegasus walking among them, but that changed as she walked into the tables where guests were sitting. A nagging feeling in the back of her mind told her that she was being watched. Fluttershy had a bout of paranoia at this and quickly scanned her surroundings but found none of the guests looking at her.

"Miss Fluttershy?" a voice from a nearby table asked, making her spin back around. Sitting there was a smiling Captain Anderson, the tawny man sitting in civilian clothes and a glass of what seemed to be water in his hands.

"Captain, we were just looking for you," Fluttershy replied as she regained her composure and sat down on one of the table's chairs.

"Then I guess Shepard is here as well?" he asked, the pegasus giving a nod and pointing her hoof at the bar where Shepard was still talking to a waiter. "Ah, he'll be with us in a bit. Anyway, how has the Normandy treated you?"

Fluttershy shifted her wings a bit out of nervousness. "Well, I've been helping doctor Chakwas in the medbay and have been in the field with Shepard a couple of times," she told the captain who almost did a spit-take.

"He took you out into the field?!”

"Yes, I did," Shepard said as he came walking up to the table, the captain standing up and giving the commander a friendly handshake. "She's got quite the biotic potential you know."

Anderson held up his hands in defense. "I know you, Shepard. If you didn't believe she could do it then you wouldn't take her." Both the commander and captain took a seat at the table after the greeting, immediately getting down to business. "Sorry about the Normandy by the way. I know how it feels to lose your ship."

"Politics happened. Now, you don't look like you're here just for the drinks." Shepard said as he folded his hands in front of him. Anderson gave him a nod in confirmation.

"They all think it's over, but we know that that's not true. The only way to stop Saren is to do it on Ilos," he told the commander who listened intently to what the captain was saying.

"Only the problem I'm having is that the Normandy is in lockdown. That has to be lifted before we can make a break for it, Shepard replied.

"Citadel control has locked out all the Normandy's systems, but if we override the ambassador's orders we can get them to bring the Normandy back online," Anderson explained as both he and the commander grinned.

"So you're going to break into the ambassador's office, knock him out, and then lift the lockdown," Shepard surmised.

"Captain, that's treason, a capital offense. The ambassador won't let that slide," Liara pointed out, having listened in on the conversation.

"Udina has made this personal, Liara. I'll gladly knock that bastard out if it gives you guys a shot at Ilos," Anderson growled as he stood up from the table, finishing his glass of water. "You have forty-five minutes to get your crew onto the Normandy. After that I'll make my move on the ambassador's office."

"You got it. We'll be ready, Captain." The two human friends didn't waste any more time, and Anderson took off to the embassy while Shepard managed to drag Wrex away from his half-finished bottle of ryncol under the promise that he'd get the krogan a new one. So, a few minutes after the captain had left Shepard, Liara, Fluttershy, and Wrex were also on their way to their destination.

Though, before they got to a shuttle station Fluttershy felt the disturbing feeling of being watched again. Not wasting a moment Fluttershy jumped around to face where she felt the presence coming from, her eyes landing on one of the overhead walkways the Citadel's maintenance crew used—the keepers.

Empty? Why am I... Wait is the air shimmering over there?

The air on the walkway was slightly warped in the exact spot Fluttershy had felt the presence looking at her. Not daring to pull her eyes away from the spot that had the disturbance in fear that she'd lose it and knowing that she only had a limited amount of time, she had to make a decision on what to do quicky as Shepard and the others weren't slowing down.

Do I go after it, or with Shepard? Maybe I could use my biotics to stop whatever is up there, but that might be dangerous for the civilians around here.

1. Go after the disturbance. Whatever is watching me it can't be good.

2. Go to the Normandy regardless We don't have enough time.

3. [Use biotics to stop whatever's up there, damn the risks.]

[Vote link]

Author's Note:

Who is the mysterious pursuer? will Fluttershy do something or is she going to follow Shepard? Answers I have, answers I don't have.:trollestia:

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed! :twilightsmile:

[Paragon] or [Renegade] are colored when available, though normal options might also contribute to one or the other. As for the shippers under us, [Romance] is now also a thing.
When an option is not available due to various reasons it will be colored [Grey]

https://www.strawpoll.me/18213046
[Certainty: 70]

Now edited by gerandakis and lordelliot

Remember that comments are like authors' food, we gain energy from them. Constructive criticism is welcome.

PreviousChapters Next