• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 11,454 Views, 3,501 Comments

Mass Effect: Element of Kindness - CommanderApplejack



[CYOA] While exploring an old ruin an unfortunate accident sends Fluttershy halfway across the galaxy, how will the shy pegasus cope with being stuck away from her friends?

  • ...
26
 3,501
 11,454

PreviousChapters Next
Commander

Chapter 71

Commander

Stalk forward to see what they’re exchanging. 57%

After flying up onto one of the containers, Dash silently snuck forward, making sure that, if she was detected and these aliens weren’t guards, she could flee immediately. Blocking out the noise of the aliens a short distance away from her since she couldn’t understand them anyway, Dash studied both the content of the boxes and the aliens who were transferring the items.

The aliens who were dressed in the red armor were mainly of one type, being very large and muscular with a large, bony plate on their foreheads. Most of their armor was visibly scratched and damaged from what Dash guessed were many fights and the logo of a skull with a clenched fist as a lower jaw didn’t exactly give the impression that these guys were up to any good.

On the other side the aliens were much more diverse, although they were all wearing sets of white armor with a three-pointed red logo she couldn’t begin to guess the meaning of.

“The gear is good, we'll take the job. Now we want what you have on Archangel.” One of the large aliens grunted something to the white armored ones who responded by passing along a glass pane of sorts.

Why are those guys giving these giants all this stuff? Dash thought as she compared the massive pile of crates that clearly used to belong to the white armored aliens but now to their red armored counterparts.

“All the details on what the Shadowbroker knows about your quarry and his compatriots. You know the deal. Archangel is yours, but the unique specimen is ours.”

“Yeah, yeah, just make sure you’ve got the rest of the payment ready when we deliver.”

The group looked like they were about to disperse and Dash, not wanting to be caught, slowly snuck backwards only to bump into something. Looking behind her all the color drained from her face. One of the large red giants stood behind her with what looked to be a massive grin plastered on his face.

Rainbow immediately shot up from her position, not giving the alien the opportunity to do anything. Turning to the training she got at the Wonderbolt academy, she opened her wings and sped towards a passage between two containers. Behind her, very loud bangs could be heard and some things whizzed past Dash’s head, impacting the container beside her until she got out of their line of sight.

“Stop shooting! We want that thing alive! We’ll double the bounty!”

Come on you stupid idiot. You should have immediately gotten out of there! Dash chastised herself for a moment but quickly got back to formulating an escape plan as she landed behind a couple of boxes.

If those loud bangs and impacts close to me are any indication, then they have some sort of magical long-range weapons, so flying over the crates is a stupid idea. There doesn’t seem to be air high up that I can fly through.

With her plan of action decided, Dash snuck through the large compound filled with crates, hearing various groups of aliens moving through the alleys of the containers as well. Suddenly another loud bang came from Dash’s right, the painful sensation from some sort of small object hitting her in the side shooting through her body.

“And stay down if you’ve got any sense.” One of the aliens beside her grunted something at her again, but Dash wasn’t about to give up due to something hitting her and knocking her breath from her lungs.

I’ve had harder crashes than this!

Opening her wings Dash flapped once to get distance between herself and the large giant.

“Your loss.”

Suddenly the weapon in the giant’s claws fired and a whole string of objects struck Dash, the pegasus screaming in agony as she felt one of them hitting her wing and breaking it. Rainbow, now severely injured, tried crawling further but was stopped as the giant stepped on her broken wing to stop her from moving further.

“You’re lucky that you’re worth so much if you’re al-”

BANG

The large Giant suddenly fell over as blood splattered out of his mouth, though to the pegasus’ misfortune the alien fell right on her wing pinning her just as thoroughly as when he had stood on it. Staving off panic, she struggled hard to get the fallen alien off of her wing while a new set of aliens approached her. The leader of this new group wore a set dark grey armor with white highlighted, red lines running down its shoulder pads and arms. His face was marred with strange glowing scars giving him an eerie aura. Unable to get the giant off of her wing, Dash remained completely still and looked at what they would do.

“You okay down there?” the leader asked as he crouched down and pushed the giant off of Dash’s wing, making the pegasus’s jaw drop as he was the first creature who she’d spoken to who knew Equestrian.

“Hey, focus! Are you injured?” the creature stated again as Dash stared up at him in amazement.

Shaking her head Dash pointed at her wing. “Broke that, the rest is probably just bruised.”

“Alright. This’ll sting and burn a bit but will patch up your wing, good as new.” The alien brought a device up to her wing and activated it before Dash could even protest. A needle shot into her wing and injected some sort of fluid that, like promised, burned like Tartarus but quickly faded away again along with the pain.

“Wow, it feels as if it was never broken in the first place!” Dash exclaimed in surprise, though her attention was quickly pulled to the air above her. A whole group of blue boxes flew overhead and started circling the compound, some of them landing and letting out their guards. The noise of vicious fighting came up from between the containers. The sight of the guards reminded Dash of why she was here in the first place. “How is it that I can understand you but no-one else?”

“Let’s just say we have a mutual friend.”

Dash’s heart skipped a beat. “Y-you know where she is?” The pegasus stammered, hopeful that she might have just run into someone who knew Fluttershy by chance.

“Right now I don’t. I’ve been gone for a while. Though I’m pretty sure she’ll be very glad to see you again, Rainbow Dash. Let’s go say hi to Citadel security over there. They’ll be glad to get a method of actually talking with you.”

“So, what do I call you?” Dash asked as she was escorted to the guards.

“Commander Shepard, Alliance na-”

“Sir, I'm going to need you to surrender your weapons,” One of the guards asked something to the commander in a language that Dash, once again, couldn't understand.

“Council Specter. We were just going to take Miss Dash here to Huerta for a check over before reporting to the Council,” the commander replied. “Can we requisition one of your shuttles to get her there?”

“Yes sir. We've already brought another member of its species there,”

“Another one?” Shepard asked, looking down at Dash. “Who's the friend that accompanied you here?”

“The Captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armour. He’s the brother of one of my best frie-” Dash replied stopped right in her tracks as she noticed the shuttle in front of her. “I-I don’t have to go in there, do I?”

Shepard looked between the craft and the nervous pegasus, immediately making a connection. “You don’t like confined spaces?”

“I-I can handle the small space. Just don’t like it when I let anyone else fly me around,” Dash admitted.

“Well, you can sit in the cockpit and look out of the front if that helps?” Shepard proposed. Dash stayed silent for a moment but slowly walked up to the shuttle and peeked in, seeing the window at the front.

“Alright,” Dash said as she stepped inside, Shepard and the fellow two aliens following her into the craft. Rainbow shuffled up front where a guard was sitting behind the controls of the flying box, gulping as she sat down in the chair next to him.

“So while we fly there, should I tell you how I met Fluttershy?” Dash looked back at Shepard who stood in the door frame as the shuttle’s door closed. It started to rise from the ground, and she gave him a nod. “Well...”

Author's Note:

I'm really having trouble getting the motivation to write lately, I promised a breakdown of the choices but I really don't want to write each out to its logical conclusion because that'd take me a lot longer than it has until now.
And yes, I botched the conclusion of the chapter 69 vote. I'm in military school for the airborne, not a professional writer.

1. Go up to them. They can probably help me get back to Shining.
- Rainbow would have been captured, tied up and shipped off of the Citadel before anyone would be able to intervene.

2. Stalk forward to see what they’re exchanging.
- well, you've read the chapter.

3. Leave. I can find the general way back.
- Not giving this option would have people asking why this option wasn't considered

4. [Steal one of the packages and fly off.]
-Dash would have gotten hurt badly but gained the intel on Flutters' and Garrus' situation.

Hope you enjoyed! :twilightsmile:

[Paragon] or [Renegade] are colored when available, though normal options might also contribute to one or the other. As for the shippers under us, [Romance] is now also a thing.
When an option is not available due to various reasons it will be colored [Grey]

[No Vote]

Now edited by gerandakis and lordelliot

Remember that comments are like authors' food, we gain energy from them. Constructive criticism is welcome.

PreviousChapters Next