• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 11,415 Views, 3,500 Comments

Mass Effect: Element of Kindness - CommanderApplejack



[CYOA] While exploring an old ruin an unfortunate accident sends Fluttershy halfway across the galaxy, how will the shy pegasus cope with being stuck away from her friends?

  • ...
26
 3,500
 11,415

PreviousChapters Next
Suits

Chapter 129

Suits

I should ask Tali for advice 78%

Luna will make do with that sword of her for the mission on the reaper, I'd rather ask how the quarians can tolerate living in their suits.

With her mind made up Dash only took the elevator on floor up to engineering where she had a chat with the two humans and little griffin that worked there. Eventually one of the two doors into engineering slid open again and Tali walked in, done with the Commander's briefing.

“Well hello there lass, I hear ya going ta be our new colleague,” Ken smiled as Tali joined them, holding out his hand, “Kenneth Donnelly, power management engineer.”

“Tali'Zorah, good to meet you.” Tali shook his hand, though she seemed reserved in her emotions. Both Gabby the human and Gabby the griffin shook her hand too after they introduced themselves. “So what are you doing here Rainbow? Are you part of the engineering team?”

“Nah that lass just likes ta get her butt kicked in our poker sessions,” Ken grinned.

“Hey! I actually won a couple rounds last time!” Rainbow tried to counter but quickly remembered that she lost the gains immediately after.

“Keep dreamin’ Rainbow,” Ken smirked as Rainbow looked back over to Tali.

“Well, I wanted to ask you a few things...” She glanced over to the others, “...Preferably in private.”

“Alright?” Tali said unsure of what to make of Dash's behaviour but going along with it regardless as they stepped away towards the mass effect core. “What is it you want to talk about?”

“I just…” Dash though for a moment about how she could start the conversation. “How can you be comfortable in your suit all the time?”

“Well, we wear them nearly all our lives. At some point you don't really think about it anymore,” Tali explained, curiously looking at Rainbow as to why the pegasus would care. “There are some reasons to get out of them in ‘clean rooms’ but those acts are usually of the more… intimate sort.” Rainbow blushed lightly after hearing that, Tali sitting down to get on the same eye level as Rainbow. “But I have to ask, why do you want to know about this?”

“I… had an accident. Well, more like I got hurt on a mission,” Dash admitted, pointing at the slight scarring visible around the edge of the undersuit. “I can’t take this thing off.”

“Keelah...” Tali gasped, Rainbow allowing her to run her hand over the scarring. “That’s horrible.”

“There might be some way to get out of it but nothing any time soon,” Dash sighed.

“I can give your armor a software upgrade to the one used in quarian suits but most additional functions would only work with the appropriate cybernetic implants,” Tali told her, typing some commands into her omni-tool which prompted a download on Dash's.

“Thanks, I really started to feel down about this stuff,” Rainbow admitted, briefly smiling in appreciation. The two sat in silence for a moment while the files transferred until Dash broke it again. “I read up on some stuff about quarians on the extranet, though there seems to not be a lot of information out there about the fleet your kind travels in.”

“Well, that comes with the isolation and the fact we don't allow many outsiders in. Most of us prefer to keep to our own and the galaxy at large seems to be content with that sentiment,” Tali sighed as the omni-tool beeped, indicating a complete transfer. “I may be able to arrange for you to stay on the fleet for a couple of weeks after the collector mission is over if you want to get the cybernetics?”

Rainbow's eyes widened slightly as, in the context of what she'd just heard, realized that was a pretty generous offer. “I… I'll need to think about it.”

“Of course, no rush on the answer. We should try surviving the collector mission first,” Tali chuckled. “But what was it you want to know about my people?”

“Well…” Rainbow thought for a moment, “The fleet consists of a lot of space ships, right? How do you keep them all running? They can't all be over three hundred years old, can they?”

“Of course not,” Tali laughed, “Most have been added over the course of the last three centuries but the liveships and some of the cruisers are still the original vessels used after the fall of Rannoch.”

“That's still insane,” Rainbow pointed out, in awe that they could keep any ship running like that. “I mean, it takes a bunch of really awesome mechanics to keep something like a ship working for that long.”

“Well thanks, my kind have become some of the best engineers due to their work on the fleet.” Tali typed some commands into her omni-tool, Rainbow seeing a lot of new values about her body showing up on hers though some remained blank due to no value being able to be measured. Tali quietly hummed as Rainbow allowed her to work in peace to install the software properly, gazing at her absent mindedly.

I wonder what they look like under those masks, though not that the suit looks ugly or anything. The swirling pattern are like the ones pegasi use at home...

Rainbow suddenly felt a slight wave of homesickness come over her but quickly squashed it, no use in being sick about something she wouldn't be able to do anything about as she returned to dreamily staring at Tali.

She's pretty good with that omni-tool...
“There, that's all I can do with software alone… Rainbow?”
And those eyes, I wonder how it it they glow like that… maybe something the helmet does?

1. Your eyes are beautiful.

2. Huh? Oh! What do all these numbers mean?

[Vote link]

Author's Note:

Ship, ship, ship

[Paragon] or [Renegade] are colored when available, though normal options might also contribute to one or the other. As for the shippers under us, [Romance] is now also a thing.
When an option is not available due to various reasons it will be colored [Grey]

https://www.strawpoll.me/20698770
[Certainty: 80]

Remember that comments are like authors' food, we gain energy from them. Constructive criticism is welcome.

PreviousChapters Next