• Published 6th Feb 2019
  • 2,857 Views, 53 Comments

Subnautica: An Unknown World - Pinkamena666



Stranded on an alien planet, Fluttershy must overcome her fears and brave the dark depths of the ocean if she is to find a way home...

  • ...
3
 53
 2,857

This New Life

"Get in!" A purple mare yelled.

The yellow mare shook her head worriedly when there was another explosion.

KA-BOOM!

Both mares gasped and ducked, bracing themselves in case anything fell on them. As they started to stumble, a large pipe crashed in front of them, knocking the yellow mare into a life pod. As she fell, she hit her head on the ladder and landed hard on her legs, instantly dropping to the floor. As she lay there, her vision became blurry, and she felt like she was about to pass out. Looking up out of the pod, she saw the purple mare with her hand on the hatch.

"Are you okay?!" She asked, looking very concerned. Nodding, Fluttershy slowly closed her eyes. "I'LL SEE YOU AGAIN!!!" The purple mare yelled, before closing the hatch.


DAY 2

Fluttershy awoke on the floor, body aching and wondering why she told the purple mare that she was okay. If she hadn't, would she have company right now? Was it so important that the mare stay behind? And, did she make it off the Shimmering Sun? If she didn't, then she would have perished when the ship crashed on this planet.

Getting up and stretching, Fluttershy limped over to the window and looked out at the large ship in the distance. Determined to get there by any means necessary, Shy took a deep breath and headed over to the hatch. Sitting down, she picked up her helmet and put it on. Once she was suited up, she opened the lower hatch and dropped down into the water. She knew she needed water and, once she checked her PDA, she found out that she could convert a bladderfish into drinkable water. If she found the right materials, she could make a water purifier, but that was far too advanced for her now.

“Oh, boy,” she muttered, before she saw a bladderfish swim by. “No hard feelings, little guy,” she said, more to herself than the fish.

After a few swipes, she managed to grab the fish with both hands. It wiggled and tried to free itself but Fluttershy managed to keep hold of it and brought it back inside the pod.

After tossing it in the fabricator, she looked away as the device started to convert the living fish into drinkable water. She heard it flapping inside the machine until it went silent. The fabricator then whirred to life as it began crashing a water bottle. When it was done, Fluttershy took the bottle and looked it over.

“Convenient,” she muttered, before holding the water close to her chest. “I’m sorry, little guy.”

After taking a moment of silence for the fallen fish, Fluttershy opened her PDA and looked up the repair tool again.

“Silicone rubber, cave sulfur, and titanium,” She read aloud. “And, to get the silicone, I need a creepvine seed cluster,” she finished, before looking down at the seed cluster she had dropped earlier. “At least I have you. Now, I just need sulfur and titanium.”

The pegasus got suited up again and dropped back down into the water. She deduced that she could find sulfur with the boom boom fish. Sighing, she looked at the water bottle in her hand. After slipping it into a holster on her left hip, she started swimming back to where she was attacked.

“You can do this, Fluttershy,” she told herself to try and boost confidence. “Just… whack the fish away and reach into the flower. No big deal.”

She soon came upon the cave where she was attacked. Looking around, she didn’t see the big monster fish anywhere. After going to the surface for some air, she dove back down and headed into the cave. She spotted the flower that the fish had come out of. Luckily, it was still empty. She saw up to it and reached inside. Smiling, she pulled out what looked like sulfur.

“Bingo,” she said triumphantly, before she heard the roar of the large fish in the distance. Her eyes went wide and she quickly moved to one of the cave entrances. Looking out, she could see it in the far distance. “Alright, you just… stay over there, you big meanie.”

She then left the cave and was about to head back when she spotted a metal plate resting on the ocean floor. Figuring it’d be useful, she swam down to grab it. It was too big to put in her pack, so she just held onto it.

“Time to head back,” she told herself, before she heard the roar again, this time sounding closer.

Without hesitation, she quickly made a bee-line back to her pod. Once she was safely on board, she used the fabricator to create a repair tool. It looked like a makeshift blowtorch. When she was finished fabricating the tool, she popped a battery in and turned it on.

"Alright..." she said aloud to herself. "Here goes nothing." She went over to the radio and stopped, trying to think back to her training. Everything was still a haze and she let out a sigh, unable to remember. She let out a sigh of defeat and put the tool in her Pod's storage compartment. "Worth a try," she muttered to herself, hoping she'd soon remember how to repair the radio.

The pegasus sat on her butt and reached over to grab her water from her pants. “I may have to drink you soon, little guy. No hard feelings, right?” She then held the bottle to her ear. “It’s perfectly fine,” she answered in a mock voice. Her smile soon faded as as she let out a sigh, feeling lonely.


DAY 3

The next day, Fluttershy found out how to make a bar of soap and got to work. She stripped all the way down and closed her eyes. After dropping down into the water, she resurfaced and opened her eyes.

As she rubbed the soap all over her body, she looked out at the Shimmering Sun. There was no sign of life on board. Had everyone else managed to get off and arrive safely on board their sister ship? Or were they all dead? Were some dead? Would she find bodies on board? She suddenly felt a wave of determination. Even if there were dead bodies on board, she knew it was now her duty to bring them home.

Once she was done washing up, she climbed up the ladder on the side of the pod and sat on the roof. Normally, she’d be too shy to sit in plain view while naked but there was no one else here. In fact, she’d feel relief over embarrassment if someone came by.

As the sun dried her off, another question entered her mind: Why did she escape the ship in an exploration pod and not an escape pod?


DAY 4

The day after her much-needed bath, Fluttershy went to work searching the ocean floor for these things called Seaglide Fragments. Apparently, if she can find a few broken Seaglides, her fabricator can synthesize a new one.

Her journey brought her to the edge of the Creepvine Forest where she encountered the barracuda fish. At the very edge, she saw what appeared to be an underwater propellant of some kind. Swimming closer, she deduced that it was, in fact, a broken Seaglide.

Moving closer, she scanned it. The screen read Seaglide fragment scanned. 2 more needed for synthesis. Fluttershy looked out over the drop-off. It was another good 20ft to the bottom. If the fragments weren’t there, she’d be risking drowning over nothing. She then also heard the roar of the monster fish again.

“Oh, no,” she whimpered.

Normally, she'd turn back. But, she had a mission. She had to take the risk. She surfaced for air before diving back down. As she swam deeper, the creepvines came closer and closer. The large fish was still quite far away but she knew that it could be on her in a matter of seconds. A plan formed in her head: scan one and resurface.

She went lower and lower, quickly reaching the limit of her suit. She kept going, though, watching her air meter deplete faster. When she got to the bottom, her tank was at 65%. She held her breath while she looked around, which seemed to slow down her oxygen’s depletion.

At first, she didn’t see anything. But after a few glances around the area she saw saw a fragment half-buried near a coral tube. Delighted, she swam over to it and scanned it. So far, so good.

“Oxygen at 50%.”

She knew it took 15% to get down her so she had until 15% before she had to swim back up. She took a few slow and steady breaths before she held the air in her lungs again. As she swam further, she saw the long fish in the distance. It was closer. The mare ducked into the coral tube to keep out of sight. Even though it was big enough for the long fish to fit in and maybe navigate it, Fluttershy figured it wouldn’t try as it didn’t seem capable of backing up.

The inside walls of the coral tube were lined with outcrops and coral fragments. The mare swam over to a few of them and mined them for resources, which she then stuck in her pack. She was about to head out when she saw a Seaglide fragment near the other end of the tube.

Squee-ing with glee, the mare swam over to it to scan it when the long fish began to swim by the entrance. Fluttershy gasped and backed away, pressing herself against the wall to lower her exposure. The fish didn’t seem to notice her as it kept swimming by. However, it began to swim around this exact area.

Fluttershy could see the shadow of the fish near where the fragment was. She’d have to time this right, or she was most likely going to die. Her oxygen was only at 40% now so she had to hurry. She cautiously made her way towards the end, being sure to keep her eye out for the fish. She took another breath before holding it in, holding up her scanner. The fragment was a couple feet away now, so she held out her arm in hopes she was close enough. Luckily, she was. She held the trigger as the device began scanning. The second the scanner began making noise, the fish became alerted to her presence once again.

Fluttershy let out a gasp when she saw the large fish turn towards her and begin its quick approach. The pegasus began to breathe quickly as her scanner beeped to tell her it was finished. The fish opened its large jaws, ready to bite its prey. Thinking quickly, Fluttershy grabbed a nearby piece of coral sticking out of the wall of the coral tube and pulled herself away from the attack. When the fish's jaws snapped shut, Fluttershy kicked off of it and began to frantically swim away. The fish snapped at her a few more times, just missing her flippers, before she pulled herself through a small hole in the side of the tube. To her luck, the fish couldn't fit through and ended up getting its mouth stuck. The frightened pegasus began to frantically swim back towards her pod.

“Oxygen at 25%.”

"Oh, shut up!" Fluttershy squeaked at her suit's AI. She looked over her shoulder to see the fish pull free from the small hole and exit the tube. However, it seemed to be giving up the chase. Relieved, Fluttershy returned her attention to the pod.

“Oxygen at 10%.”

Fluttershy kicked harder, her limbs feeling sore from her daring escape and frantic paddling. She knew this would be a close call, but the pod was indeed getting closer and closer. So, all she had to do was keep moving. When she was about a few feet from the pod, her oxygen meter depleted, and she started to gasp for air. She quickly opened the bottom hatch of the pod and climbed up inside. Quickly taking her helmet off, she collapsed on the floor and gasped for air. When her lungs were full enough, she rolled onto her stomach and reviewed her scanner. It had successfully acquired the necessary data for her fabricator to craft a Seaglide.


By nighttime, Fluttershy had retrieved all the required materials and had finished fabricating her Seaglide. She picked it up off the machine before the fabricator folded back up. She looked over her new vehicle and set it aside with a metallic clunk. She then got to her knees and just breathed. This was all still too much for her, but she was determined to get off this planet. Or, at the very least, call for help. Her eyes then fell on the broken radio in her pod. If only she could just remember how to fix it...

Comments ( 11 )

IT'S ALIVE!

Pretty sure you only need to repair the radio once, though I guess Fluttershy experienced a bug?

11503293
Fixed it by removing the part at the start where she fixes it since I doubt she'd remember much right now. She will later, tho.

11503303
So I see! Much better now!

Fun fact, if you max out your affinity with a hippogriff, you get access to the water-breathing buff

okay, the story updated, nothing to worry about

Yes yes yes An update

9443217
Agreed. Not something I knew I wanted.

Ah, you're back. Welcome back.

Oho, it's been a while. Always welcome to see an old story return.

“Convenient,” she muttered, before holding the water close to her chest. “I’m sorry, little guy.”

Poor Flutters...
Maybe, once she managed to build a water purifier, she can try to build a bladderfish conservatory or something like that.

As the sun dried her off, another question entered her mind: Why did she escape the ship in an exploration pod and not an escape pod?

As mentioned before (see 9446916) I didn't play the game (yet), but what are the differences between those two?
I'll imagine the exploration pod is both bigger and better equipped, but if that's the case shouldn't she be more happy than concerned?

As she swam further, she saw the long fish in the distance. It was closer. The mare ducked into the coral tube to keep out of sight. Even though it was big enough for the long fish to fit in and maybe navigate it, Fluttershy figured it wouldn’t try as it didn’t seem capable of backing up.

Not sure a dump fish would be bothered by that. More likely however the fact the fish can't see her offers a reliable protection.

“Oxygen at 25%.”
"Oh, shut up!" Fluttershy squeaked at her suit's AI.

Suit AI: "Better listen to me, or it'll be you who will shut up. Forever..."

It had successfully acquired the necessary data for her fabricator to craft a Seaglide.

That's good! At least I think it is. *looks up in the wiki* Yup, sounds useful.
Small suggestion: consider adding small hints what a certain non-obvious game element is supposed to do. What a "Fabricator" does is kinda self-explanatory, but "Seaglide" is not.


Good chapter!
I enjoyed reading it.

No Flutters, you shouldn’t take the big sheets of metal, you need to leave those out for fish to bite in hopes of getting their obnoxiously rare teeth drop for better glass.

Login or register to comment