• Published 5th Dec 2018
  • 3,201 Views, 207 Comments

Easy Access, the Story of Quill - Graphite Quill



I made a portal to Equestria in my garage, and exploit the hell out of it.

  • ...
21
 207
 3,201

The Trip Home

It's done. The deals made and Blu is now free as far as I am concerned. I should talk to her about a new name, a real name that won't remind her of this place. Checking behind me using my magic sight I saw that Blu was still following me quietly, shrouded in my illusion spell. Once I was sure there were no others around I released the illusion then teleported us to my room where the princesses were waiting. As soon as we appeared Luna was up and walking towards us, looking us over as she walked as if checking for injuries.

"How did it go, what happened?" She asked sounding concerned.

"I'd say it went well enough." I replied as I summoned the parchment Brennus signed. "She's a free griffon and nothing was exchanged, money or otherwise."

This news caused Luna to beam as she hugged both me and Blu. Celestia however seemed unconvinced. "He is not the type to give gifts. What does he get out of this arrangement Sir Graphite Quill?"

Ooh full name and title? Celly sure knows how to make a guy nervous, but I stand my ground. "With all due respect Princess, that's our business. The deal was made with no laws or rules broken. As it states on this paper, nothing was exchanged in return for ownership of Blu and as her new guardian I freed her from all obligations towards me or any other. She's a free griffon." While it was difficult to hold her gaze I never once looked away.

She then surprised me with a small chuckle. "Alright Graphite, I'll let this go for now. I must warn you however that griffons are dangerous. Whatever you owe him had better be worth it." She stood and started walking towards the door. "It's getting late, we should get some sleep. We're leaving after breakfast which is only 7 hours away." As she walked into the hallway she glanced back, then I heard a her voice ring out in my mind. 'Luna, come.'

Luna must have heard her as she furrowed her brow before turning to look at Blu and I. "I should be off to my room as well, good night both of you. Sleep well Blu, starting tomorrow you will be beginning a new, free life." The two princesses then left closing the door behind them.

While curious as to what that was all about, there were more important things to take care of. "So, how's it feel?" I asked turning my attention to Blu. "You know, being free and all that."

Her gaze glanced around but eventually stayed on the floor in front of her. "Impossible." Closing her eyes she took a shuddering breath before continuing. "I d-don't really know what to think really. I'm scared but also hopeful that this isn't a dream."

Pulling her into a hug and casting a calming aura on the room I spoke quietly. "This isn't a dream, and this is happening. You're free now, you can do whatever you want." Pulling back from the hug I gestured towards the bed. "Come on, we should get some sleep." I said with a smile.

-=-=-=- -=-=-=-

Luna lay in wait for sleep to take her, but her mind was still racing forbidding her the privilege. Many things have changed since her return and things seemed to be looking up for her. Graphite had given her a big boost in confidence, however there were still things she was too nervous to do. One of her main duties to her people was something that she was still uncomfortable with since her return. She feared what she would find in the dreamscape since she was last there. She had caused a great deal of problems when she was there as Nightmare Moon, but she knew she would have to deal with it eventually. Luna had planned to take it one slow step at a time to prepare for her journey, but Celestia had other ideas.

Celestia had asked Luna to pick up where she left off, helping ponies deal with their dreams. What bothered Luna was that she was asked to specifically look into her friend Graphite's dreams first. Celestia gave no reason as to why other than that she felt that he should be the first. Luna promised her sister that she would do so as soon as she was able and in a safer location. In a moment of internal silence she thought she heard a small thud from the next room, the same one that Graphite and Blu were in. Concerned she arose from her bed and walked out onto the balcony intent on flying over to the one attached to Graphite's room.

She was momentarily stunned to see somepony already sat there looking up at the night sky. "Graphite?" She quietly questioned as she hopped off the side and flew over to him. He seemed to be lost in thought about something and barely acknowledged her arrival with a glance sideways at her. "Is everything alright?" She said sitting down close enough that she could feel the warmth radiating from him.

He continued to watch the night sky for a moment before he spoke softly. "I didn't think things through enough. I was too hell bent on saving her that I never thought about what happens after." He signed and looked over directly into Luna's eyes. "What the hell am I going to do with her now? I can't take care of a kid Luna, I'm not responsible enough for this."

Luna smiled as she leaned against Graphite, and smiled. "Graphite, you saved her from a life of slavery. I believe that alone constitutes responsibility."

"I just don't think I'm the best pony for the job. I mean, I don't know the half of what I'm supposed to do for her! I know how to keep her alive but I don't know anything about raising a kid, let alone a griffoness!" Graphite said in a loud whisper.

Unfolding her wing she hugged him to her side. "Graphite, somepony once told me 'All a foal needs is love, somepony to take responsibility for them, and a safe place to call home.' Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you already have that covered."

The two stayed silent leaning against each other and looking up at the stars for a long time before their eyes met. Neither seemed to want to be the first to look away and time seemed to slow for the two of them as they slowly started to lean towards each other. Just as they were mere inches away from each other a whimper could be heard from the room behind them. Using the distraction Graphite stood breaking their embrace. "It's getting late, we really should try to get some sleep." Graphite said suddenly unable to look at Luna directly.

Luna red faced and unsure of what had nearly just happened cleared her throat. "Ah um y-yes I believe you are correct. I will s-see you in the morning then." She turned and flew back to her balcony without another word.

Before Luna opened the balcony door she realized that the whimpering sound had to be Blu. She knew that whatever the issue was, Graphite could handle it. Curiosity however, got the better of her and she decided to go back to make sure everything was okay. She quietly returned to his balcony and peered in through the glass door. Graphite was laying next to Blu singing something that Luna didn't recognize. She slowly cracked open the door so she could hear the words easier.

♩♩"-dreamland is silently calling for you. Sleep now and don't make it waaait."♩♩ Graphite finished the song and turned to wave at Luna. After realizing she'd been caught she silently closed the door and flew back to her room with a red face.

-=-=-=- Graphite -=-=-=-

Dawn is near and I'm fucking tired. I couldn't sleep at all after what nearly happened last night with Luna. The way we were leaning on each other, the warmth of her body, and the beautiful night sky above nearly caused me to lose myself for a moment. In other news I think me and this ball of fur and feathers are going to have to take some time to get used to each other. She's still really jumpy and shy about everything and while I do find the shyness endearing, I need to put a stop to her near constant fear of others. Last night when I came back inside I found Blu crying in her sleep having some sort of nightmare. When I went to lay down next to her she jolted awake terrified of me until she realized she had been dreaming. I strengthened the calming spell and did what I could to put her back to sleep.

As the sun slowly rose flooding the room with light Blu stirred awake and almost in a trance started towards the door. "Just where do you think you're going little one." I said startling her. She stopped, taking a moment to take in her surroundings and seemed conflicted. I realized that she's probably used to getting up early and starting her chores. "You no longer have any orders to complete and no time limit on your sleep. Come on back to bed, you were up pretty late and barely slept."

Blu hesitantly walked back to the bed and climbed up. I nearly had to force her to sleep on the bed last night because she'd never been able to in the past. The only reason she didn't protest last time was probably because of how tired she was after being healed. I watched as she turned in a circle 3 times, like a dog (ironic right?), before laying down all the way across the bed. Smiling at her little show I decided to talk to her and maybe help with her anxiety. "Hey, why are you over there? I promise I don't bite."

Looking anywhere but my eyes she lowered her head and shrugged. "I-I just d-don't want to be a b-bother."

"You didn't seem to mind laying in between me and Luna last night." She blushed and shrugged at my teasing tone. "Seriously though, you'll never be a bother to me. If you need something or want something, don't be afraid to let me know. I'm not Brennus, nor will I ever act like him willingly." I said in a serious voice before I continued in a playful voice. "If for some reason I do start to be mean, I'll allow you full rights to kick my butt until I realize I'm being a jerk."

My attempts at being funny were semi-sucessful as she smiled a bit. I patted the spot right next to me and smiled hoping she'd come closer. At first I didn't think she was going to move but she stood and made her way closer before starting to turn in a circle again. I couldn't help myself this time and let out a snort of laughter that made her pause to look at me. "W-what?" She asked.

"Nothing, you just look cute when you do that." I said smiling at her expression of confusion. "Do you do that every time you lay down?"

"Y-yes, I don't really know why. I've never seen the other servants do it." She said, then she lowered her voice and asked, "D-do you want me to stop?"

"NO, no please don't. I like it, it gives you character. It makes you different from everyone else just like me." I replied with a chuckle.

"But I thought being different was bad?"

Can't say I'm surprised, everyone thinks that their supposed to act exactly like everyone else. This is one of the main reasons I try to keep to myself or be with my true friends. Strangely enough the only friends I have exist solely in a magical land of talking animals. "Heck no, being different is a good thing. We all have our own separate lives and thoughts because we are supposed to be different, and unique. For future reference if someone makes fun of you for being different, don't take it to heart. They're probably just jealous of you for being brave enough to show how different you really are."

"M-master Brennus used to-"

"NO!" I said interrupting her. "HE is not your master! You have no master. You are free Blu, you don't have to call him that anymore." Seeing the look of fright on her face I sigh. "I'm sorry Blu.. I didn't mean to scare you, I just don't want you to feel like you still need to answer to him." 'Great job dumbass, you scared her half to death with your little outburst.' I thought to myself.

"It's okay, I was just surprised is all. I trust you." At those words she curled up against my side laying her head near mine.

Damnit. I think I actually felt, happy, hearing those words. This world is really putting allot of strain and stress on the mental wall I built to keep my emotions at bay. "I'm glad to hear that. I'll do my best to never betray that trust." I said hugging her to me. "Now what were you about to say before I interrupted?"

Snuggling into the hug she started again. "Mas- I-I mean, Brennus used to call me an 'albino freak' all the time. He said I was a mutant breed of griffon, because of my white fur."

Shaking my head and rolling my eyes I tried to calm down before I spoke. "Brennus is an insecure idiot of a griffon that doesn't deserve what he has. Don't pay any attention to what others say about you Blu, you are who you are and you should never think that you have to change for others. Besides, I like the white fur. Makes you look like nobility!"

She looked down at herself. "E-even if I'm still covered in dust?"

"Even if you're still covered in dust."

-=-=-=-

After another hour of laying in bed, a knock woke us up. It was time for breakfast but I know there would be problems if I brought Blu to the table. To avoid causing a scene I sent the servant to bring two plates with a bit of everything back to the room.

"T-thank you for helping me get back to sleep last night, I had a scary dream. I liked that song you sang."

"It's one of my favorites from back home, I'm glad I could help." Speaking of dreams, isn't Luna supposed to be able to control them to help ponies? I should ask her if she can look out for Blu as well. "I've been meaning to ask you about your 'name'. As I understand it your called seven by Brennus and his wife, but some of the servants call you Blu. Would you prefer to be called something else? Would you like a new name to start your new life with?" I asked.

She seemed to have never considered the idea as she looked off in thought. "I.. I think I'd like that." She said smiling at me. "I want you to give me a name."

Slightly surprised by her words, it took me a moment to ponder where to even begin in finding a fitting name. "Well, this is something I'll have to take some time to consider. You griffons seem to have names that are closer to what I'm used to back home, so it should be a bit easier for me to find you a suitable name."

Tilting her head to the side she asked, "Where are you from that has ponies with griffon names? Seems a bit funny to me." She giggled.

I honestly don't mind being a bit more lenient with my secrets around Blu. She seems smart enough to pick up on things that most ponies would miss, so I don't think I should try to keep stuff from her. "Oh I never said they were ponies. Anyways I'm happy to see that you're feeling better today, though who wouldn't be happy about being free."

We spent the next few minutes talking to each other before I heard a knock out in the hallway. It didn't sound like our door being knocked on but instead Luna's right next to ours. I heard her door open then close less than a minute later. We then heard a knock at our door.

"Breakfast Sir Quill."

After getting the food and closing the door I laid the plates on the rooms small dining table. Pulling out a chair for myself and Blu, I levitated a pillow from the bed over to her chair so she could sit higher to easily reach her food. "Come on over and eat, there's plenty so just take it slow. I doubt you've ever eaten this much at once so take it easy, I don't want you to get sick."

-=-=-=- -=-=-=-

Blu was taken aback by the amount of food Graphite was offering her, she'd never eaten anywhere near that much in a week let alone in one sitting. She was especially amazed to see a big fat steak included with the rest of the food piled on the plate. She only hesitated for a moment before climbing up onto the chair and quickly started in on the best food she ever had.

"I'll let it slide because we're alone but I really hope you don't eat like that all the time!" Graphite laughed as he watched her blush before she slowed to eat with more care. "After we're done do you wanna come with me to keep Luna company while she eats? She had the same idea as us, she is in her room right now." He asked letting his magical sight spell fade.

"I like Luna. Are you two, you know, together?" She asked innocently.

Graphite unexpectedly felt a hint of loneliness and longing at this question. He immediately shoved his feelings back to try to ignore it, but the damage was done. His emotional dam had sprung a leak, and he knew it. "Um, no actually. We're just really close friends."

"Well that's okay, I've heard from the others that it usually starts that way." Blu said finishing off her meal.

"I hope for her sake that it doesn't happen at all." Graphite quietly said with a sigh before clearing his throat. "So, ready to head on over?"

"Sure!" Blu was curious about what he meant by 'for her sake' but decided not to bring it up right now.

-=-=-=-

Not long after the two visited Luna did they receive word from Celestia saying that it was time to leave. Blu was both overjoyed and terrified at the prospect of leaving the place she'd been trapped her entire life. She knew this was the beginning of a new life for her and her new pony guardian. She knew she'd miss a few of the servants who helped her, Andraste being one of them. Blu hoped to see him again eventually and was slightly saddened because she never had the chance to say goodbye.

When the two princesses, Graphite, and Blu were leaving they were met by Brennus and his wife at the door. Goodbyes were spoken and bows were exchanged as Graphite cast illusions showing a false version of Blu that looked messy and beaten. The real Blu sat hidden beside Graphite safe and clean. All was well with Blu, Graphite, and Luna as the four of them boarded the airship without fanfare.

Celestia however was at odds with herself over the mysteriously powerful and deceptive unicorn that seemed to have stolen her sisters heart. She wanted so very much to trust him as Luna did, but something was off about him. Something didn't seem right about his actions or abilities. He was very different from anypony she had know in the last thousand years. Upon reconsidering that thought she realized that must be why Luna thought nothing was wrong. Ponies have changed a great deal since Luna was banished, at one time ponies like Graphite were common. She still loved all her little ponies but they had become, for lack of better words, ignorant of how the world works. 'Perhaps the old ways of pony kind still exists? He must have been raised by those that prefer truth over complacency..' She thought to herself. 'Only time will tell I suppose.'

-=-=-=- Graphite -=-=-=-

We made it to the airship without an issue and I for one can't wait to get back home. Did I really just think of Canterlot as home? I suppose I do like living there more than I do back on earth but still, can I really consider it home? I've never even felt truly at home back in my house on earth and I'd lived there for quite a few years. Perhaps I'm overthinking things again, I probably only like living here because I generally know when something bad is about to happen and how to avoid it. Back on earth something simple would set people off on a rampage and turn a once safe town into WW3. I remember when the bird and swine flu outbreaks started, people physically fighting over toilet paper and hand sanitizer in stores. I never understood why people automatically think it's the end of the world every time there was an outbreak of something dangerous. Things change, and while I may not like it, I can at least keep my intelligence intact. Shit happens, that's just how the world works so calm the fuck down people.

"Is something wrong Sir Quill?" Celestia asked, breaking me from my thoughts. "You seem distracted."

"Huh?" I realized that I'd been staring off into space and standing still on the deck of the ship long enough for it to take off. "Oh, no I'm fine. Just lost in thought for a moment." Glancing around I noticed a lack of a certain princess and griffon. Turning to my magic sight I found Blu below deck, seeing the left over traces of my healing magic from the other night. I also saw Luna's darker flowing magic not far away and most likely in the same room.

"Your eyes... If I may ask, what spell are you casting right now Sir Quill?" Celestia asked slightly concerned.

Oh shit, are my eyes doing something weird? I've never looked in a mirror while using my magic sight spell. "Oh um it's just something I learned by myself so I don't know if it has a name already, but I use it to see the flow of magic. I was looking for the lingering wisps of healing magic I used on Blu the other day."

"You continue to surprised me nearly every day, Sir Quill. I have seen you do many things I've never heard of, and even more that I never thought I'd see again. When you obtain your cutie mark I will not be surprised if it has something to do with magic." Celestia said. "When you have the time I'd suggest going to Ponyville to talk to Twilight. She is very astute in all matters magic, she is also the holder of the element of magic. I believe you could learn allot from each other."

Tempting but no thanks Celly, I'll be keeping as far from her and the rest of the mane six as possible. "I remember her, I'll be sure to talk to her if I'm ever in the area. Since we're on the subject, how's her brother doing? Last I heard he was captaining a squad in the Badlands."

"Shining Armor is well, he and his squad met up with Princess Cadence and are escorting her back to Canterlot." A small smile lit her face. "Apparently they have made an important decision that they'd like to discuss with my sister and I."

This must be about their wedding. Though if I remember correctly that's still a long way off, the gala still hasn't even happened yet. "From the look on your face I'd say you already know what they wanna talk about."

"Their hints were not as subtle as they thought, that and I have a great many sources to draw information from. I suspect that Cadence will want to stay at the castle for a while," She said before looking at me with a mischievous grin. "-after all it's not often that a princess falls in love."

"I assume you're talking about Princess Cadence and Captain Shining Armor?" I asked cautiously. I did not like the look she was giving me.

"While certainly a possibility, I was not referring to her." Before I could speak up and ask what the fuck she was talking about she cut me off. "See to your charge Graphite, I doubt 'Blu' has fully came to terms with all that has happened yet. You must be there for her when she does." She said while walking towards the ship captain's cabin.

-=-=-=-

Okay. I'd like to point out that I am not one of those stereotypically dense men that can't tell when a woman likes them. I know exactly who Celestia was insinuating and I don't have to be the princess of love to know what's happening between Luna and I. Honestly? I'm trying my best to keep it from happening, but obviously I'm failing miserably. I can't let whatever this is between us continue, it won't end well for either of us.

'And why exactly is that my human friend?'

*Sigh* 'Since when have we been friends Discord? I don't need to justify my thoughts to you.'

'Fine, fine. I'll just answer my own question then. "I'm a human, she's a pony it'd never work. What if she found out, blah blah-"'

'Really Discord? I'm not every human MC on fimfiction ever, I have my reasons and they actually make sense.'

Suddenly everything stopped, like someone hit the pause button on a remote. The guards, the crew members, and even the passing scenery stopped moving as my attention was drawn to the massive shadow on the deck of the ship. I turned around to see a mountain sized Discord standing over the vessel and staring at me. Before I could react he flew up higher than the highest clouds then started to free fall posing as a diver would when jumping into a pool. Something seemed off however when I realized he wasn't getting bigger as he fell closer. By the time he reached the ship he'd shrunk to the size of a mouse and dove straight into my mane.

"Was all that really necessary?" I asked shaking my head. The tiny draconequus walked out onto my nose and dove directly into the wooden planks of the deck as if they were made of water. "I'm walking away now." I said turning around.

"You really don't have a sense of humor do you?" Discord asked me.

"I do. Though It's clearly not compatible with yours lately." I said continuing to walk away.

"Ah humans, forever the enigma. Before you stubbornly decide to ignore me, I'd like to administer some advice."

Sighing I stopped. "Alright, say what you have to say Discord." I turned to look at him then sat waiting for his advice.

"Hey! Don't you put that word in mental air italics like that, I'm trying to be helpful here!" He said crossing his arms and pouting. "I am not pout-, oh whatever! I was just going to say that you shouldn't deny Luna's happiness because of your stupid insecurities! I should really stop trying to be helpful, curse me and my new dimension resolutions!" He then snapped his fingers and vanished. A few seconds later everything returned to normal and we started moving again.

Ladies and gentlemen, Discord at his finest. I thought being friends with Discord would be fun but so far he's been a little bland... No response? Good he's not in my head anymore, anyways what was I about to do again? Ah, I remember! I was about to check on Luna and Blu, they're too cute together. Luna knows just what to say to keep Blu talking, which is helpful for rehabilitating the kid. Blu's still young and impressionable so within a few months she should be just like any other kid her age, if I don't fuck it up. I know I freaked the fuck out at first but now that I've had some time to think I realized that the biggest issue I would face is impossible here. Money. I've looked after younger family in the past and I know how to keep them out of trouble, so normally the issue would be being able to provide for her. However since I'm basically the richest pony in Canterlot, beside the princesses, I don't think I'll have any trouble buying whatever she needs. Meat won't even be a problem, I set up a side deal with Brennus to have regular meat deliveries made to the castle to split between Luna, Blu, and I. Why Luna? Because that mare handles meat like a champ, and yes I realize how that sounds. Seeing her put away three full sized steaks, before I even finished one, gave me dirty thoughts. I know I'm weird, get used to it.

-=-=-=-

You ever feel like the trip coming home is always faster than the trip away? Feels like I only spent a couple of hours talking then slept the rest of the trip. I had quickly weaved a new hammock for Blu using rope from the ship so she wouldn't have to squeeze into mine or Luna's. She seemed to really like it, saying something about it feeling like a nest.

In less than an hour I'll be able to scare the fuck out of my boss when I suddenly appear in her home with a newly adopted griffon. I've grown to like living with the feisty old mare but I should really find my own place. In all honesty I'd love nothing more than to have a home in Ponyville just to witness everything first hand/hoof. Then again I don't want my presence to inadvertently change the story, and even if I kept hidden from the mane six, Pinkie would find us just to throw a party.

My thoughts were interrupted by a strange lingering magic I sensed coming from below us. Something felt off, it's similar to the feeling I get around Discord but it's definitely not the same. Casting my magic sight spell I closed my eyes and focused my senses on the feeling. I learned that the spell didn't actually require my eyes to see the magic, I could feel it around me. I also found out that I could extend the reach of my senses as long as there were no visual distractions. In the forest below is I could feel hundreds if not thousands of strong sources coming into focus, and they weren't animals. Animals sources are barely noticeable even at close range, but these I could sense from all the way up here. 'Do the princesses not sense this?' I've got a bad feeling about this...

Author's Note:

Time is progressing and things are happening. As we get past these original story plots we will arrive at some more familiar scenes from the show. Or will we? Muhahah! ... Ahem, anyways yeah things will be getting to some more familiar territory in terms of the show. Theres a few specific episodes that have reeeally peaked my imagination, and I can't wait to get to these in my story. My ideas for these chapters have really put me in the mood to write but it will take me some time, so be patient. It'll be worth it I think. Anyways as always I hope you enjoyed, and peace fellow pones!