• Published 5th Dec 2018
  • 3,200 Views, 207 Comments

Easy Access, the Story of Quill - Graphite Quill



I made a portal to Equestria in my garage, and exploit the hell out of it.

  • ...
21
 207
 3,200

The First Meeting

Author's Note:

Oofta.. Whats with the rating dropping every update? Am i that bad? Oh well nothing i can really do about it, besides i'm mainly just doing this for practice anyway. I'll just keep drinking my tea and writing fanfics until I run out of ideas. Anyways peace peeps hope you enjoy, and if you don't then please tell me what i'm doing wrong.

-=-=-=- Graphite -=-=-=-

As I walked away from that nonsense I dragged my duffel bag up a flight of stairs heading to what I hoped was the ground floor. This was the only way that didn't lead to a dead end so I figured the portal led us to this buildings basement. I found a door at the top of the staircase that was most likely left open by the griffon in her rush for Thief. "Wait. How the hell did she know where he was!"

"Damn, are all of you Canterlot ponies this dumb?" I spun around to see the griffon from before smirking at me while a red faced Thief trailed behind. "Griffons are part eagle and part lion, we have traits of both. For instance when we loose sight of our prey and have been close enough to get a whiff of them," she glanced back at the blushing Pegasus. "we can track them down by scent. This one somehow evaded me until now and doesn't seem to want to tell me how. You're a horn head, must have been you using some stupid magic to hide him." She seemed to be trying to intimidate me, she was inches from my face with a heated scowl. I returned a bored look to show that I couldn't care less about what she had to say. "For both your sake and his I'd suggest you don't do it again."

"Why would I waste my time and effort helping someone I don't even know? Besides I doubt he would try to avoid you on purpose, his eyes haven't left your ass since you've been standing here. Now if that's all, I've got things to do." The griffon turned around and caught Thief staring just like I had said, I however took that as my chance to leave before things escalated. As soon as I was clear of the door it slammed shut behind me and I could hear him cussing me out for being a traitor. I can only guess at what his punishment would be, no matter what it is he deserves it.

I turn back around from the basement door to find that i'm in the middle of a lobby with several ponies staring at me and the noise coming from the other side of the door. Since I hate attention and would rather be ignored I said the first thing I could think of. "Don't ask me. They were horny and I was in the way so they tossed me out." Most turned away to talk about how indecent couples were these days, a few blushed and the rest just continued what they were doing. I went straight for the door and out into Canterlot to explore my surroundings and to figure out how to start my path to nobility.

-=-=-=- -=-=-=-

Twilight Sparkle knew something was off about the way the princess was acting. She spent many years under her mentors tutelage and could tell when something was bothering her but for all her questioning she hadn't gotten a single straight answer. All she knew is that something was going on that made Princess Celestia both nervous and excited. Deciding it best to head home soon she remembered that there was a small library along the way that she had never been to. Whenever Twilight needed answers she went to the library, even if she knew the answer wasn't there she always found that reading helped her clear her head and think.

As she entered the small building an elderly stallion looked up from his book and greeted her with a smile and nod, she waved in return and started walking down the isles skimming through the titles. She didn't know what she was looking for so she continued until she saw something that caught her eye. She had passed many shelves without so much as a second glance until she ended up in the shelf that held the fiction books. She started to walk past without even checking the shelf as she always has in the past because those books only held falsities and nothing she could learn from. This time however something in her mind made her stop and a feeling arose in her that made her feel as though it would be a grave mistake to skip these books this time.

As she was about to look through the books the stallion from earlier walked up to place his book back on the shelf she now stood in front of. Just as he was about to return it to its rightful place on the shelf he paused to look at her before he spoke. "You look confused. Is there something I can help you with young lady?"

"Um, maybe? I don't normally read fictional books but I felt like I should give one a chance. Do you own this library?"

"The names Dusty Binding, but you can just call me Dusty. I'm afraid I do own this old building, for now at least." He held his forlorn expression for only a few seconds before regaining his professional smile. "If you're looking to give fiction a try i'd start with this one. I just finished and I feel its a good mix of myth, legends, and some truths that have been found behind the myths. It is probably the last book I will have ever read, and I'd like for you to have it. It's a good read from what my old eyes can see and I believe it to be the only copy. I found it at a book sale and even the mare I bought it from had no idea where she got it."

Twilight couldn't even imagine why he would give her this book but she accepted it nonetheless. "Thank you Mr.Binding I'll take care of this book and add it to my collection. Would it be okay for me to stay here and read for a while?"

With a small chuckle the old librarian nodded with a smile. "Take your time, I don't close down for a few hours anyway. I'll be getting back to dealing with the returned books so I'll be around if you need anything."

-=-=-=- Graphite -=-=-=-

I had been wandering around for a few hours now and I'm no closer to finding a starter job or the information I was looking for. I had continued to try and concentrate of trying to use magic but no matter what I couldn't make it work. I was passing by some smaller shops when I saw a wrinkled old unicorn mare struggling with a stack of books in her magic. Every time she started trying to walk her magic would fizzle out and she would drop the books. With a sigh I walked over and put a hoof on her shoulder, "Here, let me help you with that ma'am."

"Oh no, you don't have to do that." Glancing away with a tired sigh of her own she frowned. "I'd actually be glad if you helped, its been a long day already and I'll never make it to the library before nightfall at this rate."

"You're returning these? So there's a library nearby then, if you show me the way I'll carry them for you."

"That would be wonderful, what's your name son?" She asked.

Fuck. I didn't think about that, my real name won't be taken well here. I'm going to need a name for myself if I'm going to be living here for the next month. I quickly glance at myself and see something I hadn't noticed before, I have no cutie mark. With no special talent I'll just have to name myself something, and if I'm going to be using this name it should have some meaning. Normally names here are related to a ponies special talent, and since I apparently don't have one I guess I'll name myself something from a hobby of mine. I like to build, play games, and go hiking. I could be Rusty Hinges, no fuck that. Broken keyboard, hell no. Got nothing for hiking, but I guess I do like to write on occasion. I have written out many short stories in recent years, there's just something about writing in a notebook with a regular wooden pencil that I enjoy. Pencil Mark? Nah, Lead Pencil. Do they have pencils here? I doubt it, I've only ever seen them use quills and ink. Then it came to me.

"Graphite Quill." It slipped out before I could give it any real thought, but it works well enough for my purposes. I then set about picking the books up one by one, with my mouth, and putting them in my duffel that I then threw back over my shoulder. The mare gave me an odd look but shook her head then started walking. A half an hour later we finally reached the library that she had mentioned.

"Thank you for the help Graphite Quill, I never would have made it on time if you hadn't come along. I can take the books in from here."

I didn't give her the chance to use her magic to retrieve the books from my pack. "I can take them inside for you, I wanted to visit a library today any-" Before I could reach the door or even finish my sentence the door burst open and a lavender unicorn mare practically ran right into me.

"Oh sorry I'm in a hurry I need to get to the princess right away!" She said after I stepped back out of her way. I couldn't believe it, I actually ran into one of my idols. Seeing her as she was now gave me some idea of the point in the timeline I had arrived in. She started to run down the street towards the castle to no doubt talk to Princess Celestia about some important business.

"Hey Twilight!" I said stopping her. "Teleporting would be much faster!" I yelled to her, she was surprisingly fast and had made it a good distance from us.

"Oh yeah! Thanks!" With that she disappeared with a flash. Hopefully she doesn't realize I called her by her name even though from her perspective I should have no way of knowing her.

"Friend of yours?" The elderly mare beside me asked. "She's a pretty young mare."

"We haven't formally met but I do know her. I suppose she is, but anyway lets get inside before they close." I still cannot believe I met Twilight Sparkle.

"Oh you don't have to worry about that I own this library, I left it open for anypony who needed a book while I was gone. I guess that mare found what she was looking for." We walked into the small building to find only books, no more ponies seemed to be inside except me and the owner.

"Do you work here all by yourself?" I asked.

"Yes, I have owned this place for many years with no problems but lately I've been having trouble with my magic as you saw earlier. First it was my sight that started failing me and now my magic. It's nearly impossible for me to keep up with everything these days." She said with a forlorn look.

This was allot of work for one old pony to handle by herself and I know its strange for me, but I kinda feel bad for this mare. The very young and the very old have always been able to make me feel compassion. "Um, I could help out if you'd like. I've actually spent most of my day trying to find a job. I'm not from around here, and only arrived earlier this morning." Technically I didn't lie.