• Published 5th Dec 2018
  • 3,201 Views, 207 Comments

Easy Access, the Story of Quill - Graphite Quill



I made a portal to Equestria in my garage, and exploit the hell out of it.

  • ...
21
 207
 3,201

The Voices In My Head

Sweat clung to my coat as I sprinted down the halls of the castle taking random turns to try to lose my attacker. Regardless of my attempts to lose the predator, I could still hear the rapid beating of wings right behind me. Taking the next corridor I saw, I stopped suddenly and ducked. It had the intended effect and my pursuer flew straight over my head. I took the chance and ran back the way I came as fast as I could. Looking back I saw an empty hall, but just as I was about to celebrate my escape I ran head first into somepony. We both went down hard tumbling over each other before stopping with the other on top of me. Once my vision cleared I immediately recognized who I crashed into.

"Luna!? Hurry get up! She'll be here any moment now!" I said in a loud whispering. Luna simply planted her hooves on my chest and grinned devilishly, holding me to the floor. "She got to you didn't she?" I asked, sighing in defeat.

Luna nodded, grin never leaving her face. "Cara! I've got him!"

From down the hall I could hear the fledglings wings beating slower than before as she leisurely made her way to us. "Ha! Caught ya!" Cara said as she landed next to me and tagged me.

"Fine, fine, you got me." I said rolling my eyes. I turned to look at Luna. "As much as I like the idea of being pinned down by you, I'll have to ask that you let me up." Luna blushed and rolled her eyes, then Cara giggled. "Celestia is due back at any time now and she still hasn't let us live down the time she walked in on us hugging."

"She still knocks before she enters my room and makes the same joke every time." Luna said as she stood and winced. "Ow.. Have you ever thought of playing hoofball? You've got a strong tackle for a unicorn." She held out a hoof to help me up, I took it and stood up.

I chuckled as my horn lit up aiming a healing spell at Luna. "Sorry about that, I was getting a little too into the game. Its been awhile since I last played tag, it used to be a favorite of mine. My si-" Shit.. "My cousin and I used to play all the time. Um anyway we should probably fix all that stuff we broke." Celestia's away in Ponyville letting Fluttershy torture her pet phoenix. Being the adults, Luna and I started a game of infection tag with Cara after sending all the staff and nobles home for the day. Immature adults: 1 Boring Nobles: 0

"I uh.. I may have broken a vase or two while chasing you dad." Cara said lowering her head in guilt.

Every time I hear her call me that, my heart stutters. Over the past few months we've gotten much closer, and she's made allot of progress towards becoming a normal kid. We made it through winter wrap up and even went to the young flyers competition. Then after the competition was finished I managed to convince the Wonderbolts, with Celestia's blessing, to help teach Cara how to fly. I healed the team of all their bruises and sprains after the incident with Rarity, so they were happy to help. Not long after the lessons started Cara was able to keep up with their more basic stunts, so it seems my magic fixed her wings well enough. After her last lesson she asked if she could call me dad, which admittedly made me tear up a bit..

"That is nothing, I busted a door down to catch this one off guard." Luna said pointing a hoof at me. "Your father will fix it."

"Really Luna?" I said. "What are you gonna do if I refuse to fix the door?"

"Then I will blame you." She said grinning. "Who do you think she will believe?"

"You demonic little-"

"What happened to my room!"

Luna's eyes shot open wide. "Run!"

All three of us ran for the nearest exit.

-=-=-

"I've come to expect this sort of thing from you Luna, but Graphite Quill I am surprised at this. I thought you to be more mature than this." Celestia admonished.

"They started it, and Luna broke a door down!"

"Traitorous fiend!"

"Spoiled b-"

"ENOUGH! Both of you are children! *sigh* What part did you play in this Cara?" Asked Celestia while holding her head in her hooves rubbing her temples.

"I may have b-broke a few vases while flying.." Cara said with a small titter.

"Those are easy enough to repair, don't you worry about it." She smiled and patted Cara on the head. "Now, what am I going to do with you two?"

"Wait! Why does she get off so easily?!" I asked. Celestia turned to look at me so she didn't notice when Cara stuck her tongue out at me with a smirk. 'You're going to regret that when we get home kid.' I thought to myself.

"She is a child, accidents happen. You and my sister are adults. You should know better than to horse around in the royal castle." Celestia said. I couldn't help but snort a laugh at her choice of words. "Graphite. Go home." She said closing her eyes and shaking her head in exasperation.

"Yes ma'am!" I said with a mock salute. "Come on Cara."

"Bye Princess Celestia! Bye Luna, I had allot of fun!" Cara said before hopping onto my back just in time for my teleportation spell to bring us back home.

-=-=-=- -=-=-=-

"Have you finished repairing all the damage Luna?"

"Yes sister, everything is as it should be."

"And?"

"And as a princess I should have reacted with dignity rather than join the chase. There, are you happy now sister?" Luna said with a pout.

"Well your apologies could use allot of work but I'll accept it for now." Celestia replied as she purposely bumped into her sister on the way by. "Any changes in the dreamscape lately?"

The abrupt change in subjects forced Luna from her thoughts of revenge on Graphite. "Not really, no. All is well in the dreams of our subjects, however there is still no change in Sir Quill's."

"Are you able to force your way in?"

Luna shook her head as they walked. "Not even a little. He awakens every time I try no matter how careful I am."

A look of trepidation crossed Celestia's face as she thought about what to do. "Do you still not find it strange? Nopony can just block their dreams like that, you said it yourself."

"While I do not understand how this is happening, I know for a fact that he is not aware of my attempts. If you wish I will ask him directly, he would not lie to me."

Shaking her head Celestia said, "No Lulu, for now just please keep trying. Let me know if you do manage to break through, I worry about what this odd affliction might mean for our friend." Celestia had been dreaming of the Savior for the past few nights, wondering when he would make another appearance. When she imagined the Savior, she thought of a powerful creature that could cast any spell and change the world for the better. So far, to her knowledge, he had only helped with Luna's return, but even that she was starting to doubt. What if it wasn't the Savior but instead a dangerous foe that came through the portal? What if this unknown foe is targeting those around her? Is that what's happening to Graphite? These questions and more circled around in her mind every night, keeping her from resting her tired body.

'We need to talk.' Celestia broadcast the thought with her magic for anyone powerful enough to hear. I'm done waiting. She thought to herself.

"Sister what are you doing!? That being might be listening!" Luna said frantically.

"I hope for once that he is. I think it's high time we found out what came through that portal."

-=-=-=- Graphite -=-=-=-

"No! Stop please!" Cara said between bouts of uncontrollable laughter.

I kept tickling her. "This is retribution for sticking your tongue out at me, so I'm not going to stop until you apologize."

"Never!"

From cold hearted bastard to father acting like a child. Oh how the times have changed. I've always wanted a daughter since I was old enough to leave home. Now that I have one, though not technically sired by me, I'm beginning to wonder how different things would be if I'd never screwed things up with Raya-

'We need to talk.'

I stiffened upon hearing the voice in my head, it was Celestia. They've not spoken to each other through magic for some time now and I know they are both likely still near each other. This can only mean that she's speaking to me, the voice that interrupted their magical conversation several months ago.

"Dad? Is something wrong?" Cara's worried voice brought me back from my thoughts. I'd stopped moving completely when I heard the voice.

"It's nothing Cara," I smiled. "I was just wondering if you finished your chores before we left for the castle."

She stiffened. "Heh, about that..." I sat and crossed my arms with a playful glare. "Okay okay! I'll finish putting the rest of the books away." Resigned to her fate she left our room to help Mrs. Binding. The old mare had taken to Cara immediately and started teaching her everything from general knowledge to how to run the library.

Charging my horn I teleported away from the library feeling like taking the risk. I'm still not sure if they can track me down through this magic but let them try, it will only lead them to their own castle. I now stood in a dark room in one of the far off guest wings of the palace. One spell later and the room lit with a deep blue glow emanating from a light sphere that now floated in the center of the room. Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves I replied to the voice in my mind.

'I'm listening.'

-=-=-=- -=-=-=-

Luna was annoyed that her sister chose to act without consulting her first. She never trusted this otherworldly being, nor did she trust this supposed prophecy from Starswirl. He was a very talented mage but never had he mentioned prophecy before he vanished. She was at least happy to know that Celestia thought it that there was a possibility of the creature being evil. Luna shivered at the intrusion of its voice in her mind.

'I'm listening.' Rang out the deep voice of a male in the minds of the princesses.

'I wish to know, what is your purpose here? Are you a danger to our race, or are you here to help?'

'All fair questions indeed. I shall answer them under one condition. My mirror, the portal.'

Celestia had known this would be brought up. 'Until I deem you safe, I cannot allow you access to your portal. I do not know you and I am not willing to take any chances under the circumstances.'

'Afraid I will use it to bring back armies? Unfortunately for you, I need no armies. Your world has gifted me with abilities that far surpass anything I could bring from that world.' Fake it till you make it right? Use fear of the unknown to get my way. 'Besides, I care not for chaos. I believe in peace though I will not abide those who wish to do me harm.'

There was a time of tense silence as both sides considered how to continue. The males voice broke the silence.

'I have no purpose here. It was a pure accident that I even created the portal on my side. As for your other questions, yes I can be a danger, if provoked, and no I am not here to help. My people know a great deal about your own kind. We know the future of Equestria, but I refuse to use my knowledge and risk ruining your timeline. Things must occur as they are supposed to without the taint of foreknowledge. I will not tamper with destiny.'

A new voice entered the conversation. 'I grow wary of these voices in my mind. Must we continue to hide from each other? I suggest we meet face to face and figure this out once and for all.' Luna had grown tired of this whole experience, she had enough of worrying about the dangers and wanted the issue dealt with.

'I suppose.' The male voice said wearily. 'I will make my appearance know to you at the Gala. This way we are on neutral grounds, I will be surrounded by guards and innocents alike. If you promise my safety, I will even disable my magic upon arrival.'

'You have my word as Princess Celestia co-ruler of Equestria that you will not be harmed. However I must ask that you use one of our own anti-magic rings if you're willing to go that far.'

'Fair enough princess. Be sure to have one ready at the door for me. Until then, Princesses.' The male voice said in conclusion.

Celestia and Luna looked to each other with the same look of apprehension as they felt the presence of the being fade. Neither knew what to expect in the future of Equestria or if they could trust the voice. "We should alert the element bearers to the situation so they will be ready should he not keep to his word." Said Luna.


"I agree. I shall send a letter immediately."

-=-=-=- Graphite -=-=-=-

That went well enough I guess, though I'll have to disguise myself. I'd still prefer to keep my current life separate from my human one, it's just easier that way. I'm just Graphite Quill a unicorn noble, not some alien, and as long as I can keep everything separate I'll be able to live in peace. The gala should be interesting considering I'm already supposed to be there as myself. I'll just have to find an excuse to leave early, change my coloration, change clothes then return. Wait.. Fuck! I still don't have anything to wear to the Gala. I'll just have to get a suit somewhere and have it fitted.

The light in the room faded as I drew the magic of the light spell back into myself. With a flash I teleported back home to my room and appeared just above the bed landing without a sound. No sooner than I hopped off the bed, the door opened and Cara walked in yawning. "Tired?" I asked.

"Yeah, I had quite the workout today chasing you two around." She giggled as she yawned again before jumping onto the bed. "I think I'll turn in a little early tonight. What about you?"

"I need to talk to Mrs. Binding first but then I'll be heading to bed as well." I said.

"Okay, good night dad."

"Good night hun, sleep well." I pulled her into a hug and held her for a moment, enjoying the warm feeling spreading in my chest. "I love you kid. Never forget that."

-=-=-=-

Walking down the stairs I released the illusion spell that's been covering my wings for a few months now. At first keeping the spell up constantly limited my other magic because of the drain it had on my source, but now it's second nature to me and the drain is barely noticeable. As I made my way to the main area of the library I unfolded and stretched my wings. I still can't make it off the ground but I can move them just the same as any pegasus can. Cara was amazed when she found out about my wings and swore to secrecy after I promised to fly with her some day. I was paying apt attention to her lessons so I know what to do but it's as if I'm still physically unable to get off the ground. At least I can glide if need be.

"Page, can you give me a hoof with something?" I asked to the open air of the library. I hadn't seen my boss but I knew she was around somewhere.

"Just a moment dear." A voice said from behind the main desk.

"Dear? You've never called me that before."

"Just like you never call me by my first name?" She chuckled. "Sorry Graphite, the last pony to call me by my first name was my husband. I'm used to everypony calling me Mrs. Binding these days. Anyhow, what did you need help with?"

I hope this works the way I think it will. "I'm in a bit of a bind and I need your opinion on something."

"What's wrong? I'll help if I c- uh Graphite.." She cut herself off and started staring at me. "What's happening to your coat?"

The old mares confusion is understandable considering her point of view. My ugly ass color combination of green and blue faded and changed. I now stood before her with a pure white coat, red hooves, and a red and white mane and tail. "How do I look? Still like me?" I said spreading my white wings out.

She stared at me for a few moments with narrowed eyes before speaking. "Graphite Quill. What have you gotten yourself into now?"

"You already know that I have abilities in magic that aren't exactly normal, and when I was first figuring out my magic I accidentally eavesdropped on a conversation." I paused for a moment to ponder how much I should say. "Normally when caught in such a situation I'd apologize and try to make amends, but the situation isn't exactly normal. I may have accidentally and unintentionally interrupted a conversation between Celestia and Luna, and may have also called Celestia a bitch."

As expected her eyes went wide at the idea of somepony calling their great immortal leader a bitch. "Graphite! Why in Equestria would you call her that!?"

"Well, at the time I didn't realize she could hear me."

"You're lucky you didn't get thrown into the dungeons!" Closing her eyes and shaking her head she continued. "Why the color change then? She obviously didn't take offense if you're still standing here, that and it's been months since you learned how to use magic."

"Well that's the thing, she doesn't exactly know it was me. The conversation I interrupted was magical in nature, they were speaking to each other from different locations with some type of telepathy."

She sat for a moment in silent thought. "While I can't say I understand such magic, I do understand how this could be problematic. Though haven't you become close with the two of them? I'm sure if you explain the circumstances they will understand that it was an accident. Were they talking about anything that you shouldn't have heard?"

"I am rather close to them both but it's not quite as simple as apologizing and calling it an accident. While it was just a friendly chat between two sisters and nothing secretive, according to Luna, this magic is only prevalent in alicorns."

"Aren't you technically an alicorn now?" She asked.

"I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that I'm still just a unicorn that grew wings. I mean hell I don't think these things even have the magic required to be of any use other than as a parachute." I replied while stretching out my wings. "Besides that, I heard portions of their previous conversations before I figured out my magic."

"I see. What happened afterwards? This much time has passed without any noticeable repercussions so why change how you look?" She questioned.

"To say that they were suspicious, would be a massive understatement. I've heard nothing through the magic since then and I can tell they both have something weighing on their minds. They've been stressed for a while now and so far they've shot down all my attempts to help."

"Maybe there's something else going on that's on their minds. We don't know for sure if this is about you." She said.

I started shaking my head. "No, they've been talking about it while I'm at the castle. The way they're talking about it would make little sense to anypony that isn't involved but I understood their references." With a sigh I got to the main issue at hoof. "I talked to them again earlier today through that magic. I wanted to try make amends and give them a reason to trust me so they'll stop worrying so much. I agreed to meet them at the Gala and wear one of their anti-magic rings."

"Graphite you'll be completely defenseless! What if they decide to throw you in the dungeons?" My boss said looking concerned. "Think about Cara."

"They promised me safety as long as I did as they asked, I trust them to keep their word."

"Graphite listen. I know you trust them, but they don't trust you! Well, this you anyway." She said gesturing to my current look. "If they truly believe you to be a threat, don't you think they would be willing to lie just to capture you?"

That's certainly a possibility.. "If that's their plan then I'll have to figure something out." I replied with a shrug.

"Graphite they know you! The real you, and they trust you. Just admit to your mistake and tell them it was you, please! They may be angry but at least they won't do anything rash." She said with a pleading gaze.

If the circumstances were different I would, but they're already suspicious of 'the voice' being the same thing that came through the portal. I found that out one day when I eavesdropped on their conversation from around a corner covered in my illusion magic. I feel a little guilty about that one but I needed information. "There's more to this than just what you know. More than I'm willing to talk about right now." I'm beginning to think that I'd be better off telling her the whole truth, it'd be nice to have help from someone who knows what I really am. "Just trust me on this, I'll be fine."

-=-=-=-

After changing the subject and changing back to my usual colors I bid my boss good night and went to my room. I didn't conceal my wings since it would just be me and Cara in the room till morning and she liked it when I held her with my wings while we slept. She said it felt natural and comfortable so I oblige whenever I can. To my confusion however Cara sat on the edge of the bed watching as I opened the door.

"What are you still doing up, I thought you were tired?" I asked.

She looked down avoiding my gaze. "I heard loud voices and wanted to see everything was okay so I came down.. I overheard Mrs. Binding saying something about you getting taken to the dungeons. A-are you in trouble dad?" She said with tears in her eyes.

I immediately walked up and pulled her into a hug, where she started sobbing into my chest. "Everything will be fine Cara. I'm not in trouble with the princesses, I just made a mistake that I have to fix." I sat there holding her for a long time before I spoke up again. "Come on, let's get some sleep. I'll explain more in the morning." She nodded and I released her so we could both get under the covers. Once I was comfortable she curled up next to my side and I covered her with my wing, holding her until she finally fell asleep.

I still have a hard time believing how much has changed in just a few months. I'm not entirely sure if I really need to go back to earth, I mean what's there that I don't already have here? My old family of course, but I can't say I really care too much since we were never really close. Cold hearted I know, but they made it their mission to just be background characters when I was growing up. There's really only one person I think I'll miss, she's also probably the only one who would notice my disappearance. She'll probably wonder where I went, she's smart enough to notice my missing clothes and duffel bags. I wonder what she did after my disappearance, knowing her she probably tried to find me. I still can't understand why she doesn't hate me after what I did. I can't think about this right now...

By now the bank will have taken my house and my car, then there's the mirror... Hopefully nobody accidentally opens the portal, I'd rather no more humans came here. It's bad enough that what's his name is flying around doing who knows what in the guard. Even I've changed some things already though so far only off camera stuff as far as I'm aware. The only problem I can see is this whole business with the Savior. I know for a fact this prophecy crap that Discord mentioned was not in the show. I'll have to remember to ask the princesses when I'm at the Gala as my other self. Things are starting to sound suspiciously like the plot to a bad fanfiction..