• Published 5th Dec 2018
  • 3,201 Views, 207 Comments

Easy Access, the Story of Quill - Graphite Quill



I made a portal to Equestria in my garage, and exploit the hell out of it.

  • ...
21
 207
 3,201

The Deal With The Raven

Author's Note:

Ok, so to start with I'll explain the title of this chapter. The 'bad guy' in the last few chapters known as Brennus is named after a Gallic leader who sacked Rome waaaaay back a long time ago. His name is a Celtic name/title that means king, prince, or raven, hence the name of the chapter. Next I'd like to warn you all about the slight cliffhanger at the end of this chapter, it was definitely unavoidable. Lastly I'd like to say that I've got one more chapter after this then I might take a small break until I can figure some things out on here. I've been planning a particular chapter for a while now, and I plan to include a picture to go along with it so be patient. Edit: Pic has been added at the end. The art was done by the amazing LordValtasar! Anyways I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Peace fellow pones!

-=-=-=- -=-=-=-

Graphite spent the rest of the day wandering the lands around his host's property alone until it was time for dinner. The dinner passed without incident, Blu served them all without fail and even passed a small smile whenever Graphite looked her way. Luna would watch as Graphite passed an encouraging smile back when Brennus was distracted. She had been deep in thought for most of the day trying to get her emotions in order after hearing her friends decision. She didn't know how he planned to get away with bypassing the law but she hoped that he knew what he was doing, she didn't want him to get in trouble for trying to help another being. Luna also had a more selfish reason for her worries, she didn't want to lose a friend. If Graphite were to lose his title over this he would no longer be allowed into the castle unless he was called upon by herself or Celestia.

Celestia herself was also having an internal debate about Graphite's decision. Luna had told her that Graphite was going to try to find a way around the law, so now she was trying to decide the best course of action for herself. While she may have her suspicions about him, she still considers him a friend. She needed to talk to him before he could go through with his plan. Celestia's decision could be made for her depending on Graphite's actions and if he has found a way around the law. Celestia also made a mental note to have a good long talk with both her sister and Graphite separately. Maybe I'll even get Cadance involved. She thought to herself with a half smile as she disappeared with a flash.

-=-=- Graphite -=-=-

Sitting in the outside garden, while slightly boring, has been my favourite pass time on this trip. It's calm, quiet, and actually quite beautifully well tended. As always I had been trying new things with magic, but only subtle things that others wouldn't notice. The most recent is magic sight, which allows me to see the flow of ambient magic and sources of magic even if they are behind solid walls. Should come in handy some day, and hopefully it will help me find disguised changelings when that episode happens. I ceased my spell when I saw a blurred form of somepony teleporting next to me. Using the magic sight shows me the sources magic in its base form, and I knew it was Celestia before she even appeared because of the fiery blaze of her magic.

When Celestia did appear I was already looking her way. "Hey Celly. What's up?"

"Good evening Sir Quill. May we speak for a moment?" She asked in an even tone.

"Of course princess, I'm always willing to chat with royalty." I said with an exaggerated bow. "Shall we walk and talk?"

As we left the garden and started down the main hall I used my magic sight spell to locate the spells I had cast on both Blu and Brennus. Blu was close by but Brennus was too far away for me to see with the spell so I started leading us towards her. Celestia started to speak just after she cast a silencing shield around us. It's similar to my own but seemed weaker, though it didn't need to be strong when there were only griffons around. Those magicless turkeys wouldn't even notice the spell let alone be able to do anything about it.

"I've been told that you plan on trying to circumvent my slavery law. May I ask how you plan to do this?"

Just after she asked I stopped at the door closest to us and knocked. Celestia looked confused and gave me a questioning look but stayed silent. A moment later a servant answered the door then bowed when she saw us. I cut her off before she was able to speak. "Could you have Blu come out here please?"

"I'm s-sorry Sir Quill, I don't know who that is." She said.

With a sigh I repeated my request with Blu's other name. "Could you have Number Seven come out here please?" I hate calling her that.

"Right away Sir Quill." She said before turning and walking back into the room.

A moment later Blu came out looking a little nervous. "Heya kiddo, how's your day been?"

She glanced at Celestia then back to me before answering. "Good actually. Master Brennus tried to hit me, but I didn't feel it so I just pretended that it hurt so he wouldn't try again.." Her voice lowered as her head did, she was now looking at the floor.

I put my hoof under her chin and gently lifted her head to look at me. "You did good kid, that was smart. You might need to do something like that again tonight but for now you, me, and the Princess here have to talk.

-=-=-=- -=-=-=-

It was nearing midnight when Graphite and Blu separated from the two princesses. Celestia had begrudgingly agreed to their plan after a long debate with her sister about doing what's right. Graphite was in turmoil over what he may have to do to convince Brennus to make a deal. He decided to take the aggressive approach thinking that acting more like a griffon would increase his chances of getting on Brennus' good side.

"We're h-here." Blu said quietly.

Graphite smiled and bent down putting a hoof on Blu's shoulder. "Now Blu I want you to listen to me. Earlier I mentioned that you might have to act hurt again, and that time is now. Don't worry about getting hurt, my shield WILL protect you, but he won't know that. If he tries anything at all just act like he hurt you. Got it?" She nodded in understanding. Sighing Graphite continued in a low voice. "The same goes for me, whatever I do or say will all be an act, ok? No matter what I say while we're in there, I just want you to know one thing." He paused for a moment to ponder how to say what he meant. "I promise you that I will never hurt you, and I will always protect you."

Blu felt a strange feeling of happiness and hoped that he was telling the truth. She wasn't sure how to respond to such a promise and did the first thing that came to mind. She stood on her back paws, threw her arms around his neck and cried. She'd never felt safe around anyone until he showed up, not even Andraste made her feel like this. She felt that as long as he was around, nothing could hurt her.

Graphite was startled by the sudden hug but slowly wrapped his arms around her in return. Empathy nearly caused him to tear up before he regained control and realized how much he'd really changed since coming to Equestria. The wall he had long ago created to keep his emotions at bay was slowly starting to crumble, and that scared him. He never cared to think that his life could amount to anything, nor had he ever wanted it to. He'd grown contented, but never truly happy. He lived his whole life under one rule, that he didn't deserve to be happy. In his mind happiness only led to disappointment because 'when you're happy, life will always smack back you down'. 'But maybe,' he thought, 'this time will be different. Maybe just this once I can indulge and be happy.' Distracted by the embrace, the two failed to notice the presence of another watching them from down the hall.

Releasing her from his grip Graphite smiled at Blu. "Are you ready for this? Remember, I won't allow you to be hurt."

"I.. I'm ready." Blu said sounding both terrified and resolved.

With a nod from the unicorn she walked up to the door and knocked. They heard movement from inside and a voice telling her to enter. Graphite opened the door with his magic allowing Blu to walk inside before he cast an illusion around himself and walked in closing the door behind him. From all other points of view Blu was the only one to enter. The illusion absorbed the light around Graphite instead of reflecting it, then changed it to match the door behind him. This spell was a spur of the moment idea he had had to make a grand entrance as a show of his power. He hoped to at least make Brennus think twice before trying anything untoward.

"What is it runt? I am busy." Brennus said with a sneer.

Cowering low to the ground Blu answered. "M-master Quill insisted that I bring him to you. He said that you would know why."

Slowly at first he began to understand what she meant and started to laugh. "You? He really did choose you after all. Ha, you unlucky little albino freak!" He said with a chuckle. He then got up and walked up to her. "Send him in then head back to your room, I'll be there shortly after." He paused long enough to sniff the air before glaring down at her. "And get yourself cleaned up, your smell is offensive!" He then swiped at her face only for his claws to catch nothing but air, Blu was no longer there.

Graphite had planned to let him hit her knowing the shield would protect her but he couldn't take seeing the abuse happen right in front of him. Deciding to reveal himself he lowered the spell and spoke. "Now now, there's no need for marking up that pretty little face."

Startled, Brennus jumped back. "S-sir Quill! How did- where-..." Clearing his throat he started again. "That's quite the trick Sir Quill, I hadn't known you were there. I assume you are here about that little deal I mentioned?"

"Yes I am. However seeing as I am traveling with the princesses, I of course have to obey their laws. Therefore no money can be exchanged for this deal to remain legal." Graphite said without emotion.

Brennus burst out in a deep belly laugh. "You underestimate me! Believe it or not I am well acquainted with your laws and I know of the one you speak. You are not the first pony to, shall we say, procure a servant of mine." He sat at his desk and started rummaging around in one of the drawers. "Ah, here it is!" He said pulling out a scroll and holding it out to Graphite.

"What's this?" Graphite questioned.

"A little contract I wrote for such occasions as this, please read it then sign your name if you agree to the terms. Sign that paper and she's yours to use however you want."

Graphite's eyes glided back and forth across the parchment as he read its entirety several times. "What's the catch? It says here you'll make a request of me in the near future, but it doesn't say what you will have me do."

"Ah yes, normally I'd request a donation for some charity or another to pay off the debt. Theses charity's don't exist of course, but for you? I believe I have something else in mind now that I've seen some of what you can do with your magic." He gestured for Graphite to sit in the seat across his desk.

"Alright. I'm listening."