• Published 5th Dec 2018
  • 3,200 Views, 207 Comments

Easy Access, the Story of Quill - Graphite Quill



I made a portal to Equestria in my garage, and exploit the hell out of it.

  • ...
21
 207
 3,200

The Magic Man Pt.1

Author's Note:

Phew, the urge to write hit me hard today so here we are. I believe it had something to do with the fact that I called in to work last night to go walk around town with some people. Lets just say I had fun with all the merriment & mischief, plus we didn't get arrested so that's good. No but really though I had allot of fun for once and I'm in a good mood so maybe possibly part 2 of this tomorrow? Hopefully. Peace pones! {T}

P.S. Wow 2k words I'm honestly surprised. GJ ME!

It had been two months since the disappearance of the mirror much to the aggravation of the human turned pony, Graphite Quill. With only days left until the planned return to Earth he decided to just outright buy it from the owner of the building, fate however had other plans for the mirror. When Graphite inquired about the mirror, the manager informed him that somepony already bought it but never left their name. He was not pleased.

The new resting place of the magic mirror remains unknown to all but three ponies, Celestia, Luna, and Twilight Sparkle. Celestia, after having talked with Twilight, found the mirror to be the source of the fluctuation in magic and purchased the unique decoration in the hopes of meeting the savior from another world. Celestia had placed a spell on the building in question after the second pulse and her talk with Twilight. The spell revealed the origin of the magic to be the mirror, she only wished she had arrived quick enough to meet him that day.

Celestia had hoped to force the savior into a confrontation by taking the mirror, even going as far as locking it in her study with spells that would only allow her entrance. Much to her chagrin he has yet to make an appearance and there has been no pulses since. In her mind she thought he would have tried to use it again since it had been activated once a month three months in a row. The identity of the savior will continue to evade her it seems.

-=-=-=- Graphite -=-=-=-

"Now, I know you prefer physical practice over a lecture but we need to talk about limitations. Even the most powerful unicorns have limits, the princesses included. There are two parts to this so pay attention. Everypony has different limitations rather it be in the power of the spells they can cast, or the longevity of spells. Some can cast high lever spells that most ponies can't but at the cost of mental exhaustion. Others can only cast low level spells but keep them going indefinitely. I'll give you the same example I was given in my youth."

"Are you sure you want to give me such outdated ideas?" I interrupted with a smirk.

"Oh ha ha Mr.Quill, do I need to give you another time out? Unless you'd rather me teleport a dress onto you next time you go on one of your walks." Mrs.Binding said while returning a smirk of her own.

"So about that example you mentioned!" This is always how it was between me and her during my magic lessons. Its my way of distracting myself from losing hope in myself ever gaining use of my horn. She knows its all in jest and I'm pretty sure she enjoys the minor teasing in our conversations.

"I thought so. Now as I was saying, imagine all you magic is a bathtub full of water. Every spell you cast takes some of that water from the tub, sometimes its a little scoop and sometimes its a bucket full depending on the spell. This bathtubs faucet is constantly running to steadily refill the tub, so if you cast too many 'bucket sized' spells like teleportation the tub will empty and you will have to wait for it to refill. The reason most if not all unicorns can cast levitation spells is because when carrying small items their reserves tend to fill faster than what's being used, however larger items use more magic to move so keep that in mind."

"So how can somepony tell how big their 'tub' is and how much 'water' is coming from the faucet?" I ask in curiosity.

"That's something that can only be figured out by the unicorn in question through practice. Other unicorns can however use their own magic to get a general idea of another's potential like I did in the beginning. If I were to guess I'd say you could cast some high level magic like teleportation and be fully recharged in seconds. As I said, this is only a guess going off of the amount of overflow coming from you. To put it simply, you could cast any low to mid level magic without reaching the point of exhaustion unless you were multi-casting several spells. Honestly you have great potential and would be highly sought after by the Equestrian Military, once you can use your magic that is."

"As tempting as that would be I think I'll leave that up to the professionals and the elements." The mane six have been rather busy in Ponyville from what I hear, and so far everything is staying true to the show thankfully. Last I heard there was a commotion about a witch aka Zecora which means I've made it to episode nine of season one, up next is the invasion of wannabe pixies aka parasprites. I have half a mind to send a book about parasprites to Twilight's library just to save them the trouble.

"Didn't you mention once that you wanted to be a guard, what changed?" My boss asked.

"I'm rich. I'm planning on living a nice cushy lifestyle from now on."

"In other words you've decided to be lazy."

"You know it. I think I'm done with studies for the day Ms.B, I'm feeling like taking a walk up to the castle."

"Well alright If that's what you want to do have fun. Next time we'll talk more about spell limitations, mainly the things that magic can not do no matter how powerful you are."

-=-=-=-

I made it to the castle without issue and began my usual path around the courtyard, I always go the same route to avoid getting lost, again. Having been making a constant flow of bits I am welcome everywhere in or around the castle because of my rank of nobility. The ponies nobility system is strange, basically your rank is determined by how much you make in a month. I'm not sure if there is some kind of tax being taken for said rank but if there is then I haven't noticed. Nobles of the higher ranks are able to make requests that are directly decided upon by the Princesses themselves, hence Blueblood constantly asking for stupid shit. Apparently he asked Celestia for a statue of his dick the be placed outside his room. It got denied for obvious reasons, besides nopony would be able to carve something so small.

I personally have never made a request as I don't really need anything legally done and my fortune can pay for whatever I could need. As I was passing the discord statue I got an idea, the light bulb appearing over my head kind of idea like in cartoons. I started to turn and look for a guard when I realized I literally had a lit light bulb floating over my head. "The fuck is this shit?" Looking up at the bulb for whatever reason caused it to disintegrate into sparkly glitter that spread out and covered my fur. Considering that I'm standing next to stone Discord and I've read hundreds if not thousands of fanfics I had a pretty good guess where this was going. "For fucks sake Discord really? Glitter?" I say looking up to the statue.

His stone figure suddenly closed its mouth and raised a finger to its lips. "SHHHHH! I'm supposed to be trapped here unable to speak or use magic." Said Discord as he returned to his original position.

"OK, we're not doing this bull shit back and forth shit. Let me guess it was you that connected our worlds and made my mirror into a portal just so I'd come through and cause chaos because I'm actually a human." I said figuring he had something to do with all this.

His stony face stared at me in confusion for a few seconds before a look of recognition. "OOHH, you're THAT guy? Actually believe it or not I had nothing to do with the portals at all, I simply enjoy scaring the daylights out of nobles. I always start small to get their attention but you my smart little non-pony know me too well. Seeing as how you are the type to want to skip to the point I'll skip most of the normal drivel." He snapped his eagle talons and everything warped around us changing into a normal looking Earth college classroom. I was sitting at a desk and he at the podium in from of a chalk board wearing a professors suit jacket complete with elbow patches. "Now class today we willbetalkingabout-" Mid sentence it was like someone hit the fast forward button on a VHS tape, he started moving extremely fast and without any sound.

I swear this guy is never predictable, which is good in my opinion. Most characters get boring, like Rainbow Dash for instance, loyal, stubborn, and has an ego bigger than a dragons. She either complains, gloats, or talks about wonderbolts, Its always the same. Not saying I don't like her or anything but someone needs to knock her down a peg every once in a while, and that someone might be me one day If i figure out this magic shit.

I finally look up from my thoughts to see Discord standing completely still as if paused. Not wanting to waste any more time I acted out hitting the play button on a remote. What can I say the guy is one of my favorites in the show, I'll play along just this once. He started moving again now erasing what he had written on the board.

"Now, I hope you all took notes because this will be on your next test which isss-" He picked up a calendar off the top of a stack of them, that were not there a millisecond ago, flipping through and tossing it behind him before moving onto the next. This continued for two more before I hit the imaginary fast forward button again skipping to the end. "four hundred thirty six thousand two hundred and sixty nine weeks from tomorrow. However for those who couldn't keep up here's what you need to know. The portal that brought the fake ponies here was created through this worlds need for balance, no specific creature brought them here. They both serve different purposes but today we are focusing on the one that was turned into a unicorn because he is the more entertaining of the two. This non-pony unicorn has the mind of a human and therefore cannot under any circumstances use magic like other ponies can."

I raised my hoof about to freak the fuck out on how it was stupidly pointless to make me a unicorn if I couldn't use magic, but he ignored me. I tried to say it anyway only to realize I no longer had a mouth, so I sat and scowled at the 'professor'.

"This however does not mean that he can not use his new magical form, he just can't use magic in exactly the same way as other ponies. Regular ponies must remember spell forms, know exactly what the magic is doing when it takes effect, and a whole bunch of other complicated foowy. The human mind is much more powerful than that of a ponies, a human in the form of a pony uses magic much the way I do. I don't have to figure formulas or remember forms I simply just do it. I think about what I want to happen and it happens, Its quite simple really." He pauses for a moment to look pointedly at me. "So simple that even an empty headed moron of a human could cast powerful spells. The human mind on its own has enough imagination to automatically figure all that out without fail. Yet this specific non-pony unicorn is so stuck on the thought that magic is difficult that he is over complicating things and causing his magic to fail before if even begins."