• Published 5th Dec 2018
  • 3,200 Views, 207 Comments

Easy Access, the Story of Quill - Graphite Quill



I made a portal to Equestria in my garage, and exploit the hell out of it.

  • ...
21
 207
 3,200

The Feathered Complication Pt.5

Author's Note:

Lotsa perspective shifts in this one so I figure I should explain a bit. -=-=- <-- this is a time shift. If there's a name in between like -=- Luna -=- then that's who's perspective it is. If there's no name in between -=- -=- its a switch to 3rd person. Anyways pones, hope you enjoy the longer chapter. Peace! {T}

"This is certainly troubling to see, but my hooves are tied on matters such as this. It pains me to say this but I can't do anything to stop this, and I believe it would be in your best interest to forget about this. Griffons such as Brennus are not afraid of ponies, and especially me. He knows I legally can not act upon anything I see concerning his servants." Celestia said in a serious tone of voice.

"Even so I'm having a hard time keeping my calm, I was barely able to keep quiet during dinner." I said with a sigh.

"In that case let us drop this discussion for now, I do after all wish to speak of other things. I find that the more I speak to you, the more complex your personality seems to get. I'm not saying that is a bad thing however, I mean no offense by it." Looking over to me she noticed the young griffoness was still where she had been before awaiting orders. "Please return to whatever you were doing before and if anyone complains about your absence send them to me."

I watched as the griffoness bowed then ran back to the others in the garden. "I have been called many things and complex is one of the nicer ones, it takes allot more than words to offend me. By all means speak your mind Celestia, I'll tell you anything you want to know about me." Well, almost anything.

Celestia then looked directly into my eyes with a mischievous grin. "In that case, tell me of your feelings for my sister."

Well shit. This mare never ceases to amaze or surprise me. Might as well return the favor and mess with her a little bit. So with the most serious face I could manage I said, "I'm hopelessly in love with Luna and I would like your permission to ask for her hoof in marriage."

Several long seconds later we both burst into laughter unable to stare into each others eyes any longer. After a minute or two we calmed down enough to continue the conversation with the previous tension somewhat relieved. "In all honesty though I do care for Luna a great deal and I enjoy spending time with her. I'd be lying if I said I haven't dreamt of her as more than a friend but that's all we will ever be. I've always respected Luna even before her return and I hated how she was being treated by her own subjects. So I decided to step up and do what I could to help."

Celestia's expression changed to one of suspicion. "How did you know of her 'before her return'? It wasn't exactly a secret, but from what I understand most knowledge of Luna was lost over the years."

"Same way as Twilight, books, lore, word of mouth, stuff like that." She does not look fully convinced, I believe it's time for a subject change. "Speaking of Twilight, how has she been? Any more catastrophes in Ponyville since the parasite incident?" I said trying to look innocent.

-=-=-=-=-

Well that was a shitshow. I really need to watch what I say around Celestia and to a lesser extent Luna. Luna takes things at face value without question, but Celestia thinks about every response. I'm just glad she allowed me to change the subject to what's going on with the mane six. There's another good while before winter hits so the next 'episode' won't happen for some time. Winter wrap up is episode eleven in season one which means the next episode that's going to directly affect me is 'The Best Night Ever'. The Grand Galloping Gala, I can't wait to watch that unfold in person.

I have one last thing I want to try to do before I settle down for the night, but I'm not looking forward to it. I need to speak with the young griffoness alone, I feel the need to know her story. It's like an itching feeling that won't go away until I know more, for some reason it feels almost synthetic. Yes the whole slave thing annoys the hell out of me, and yes I do feel bad for them, but i know I shouldn't care as much as I do. I'm not one to try to help others unless there's something to gain from it like for instance, friendship with royalty.

OK, maybe that's not completely true. I help Luna because I care for her and because she doesn't deserve to be treated like she is by her own people, or rather ponies. She deserves respect not fear, everyone makes mistakes and she has already suffered enough for hers.

Entering my room I cast some spells of protection, healing, and a calming aura over the room. This has become a habit of mine that prevents anything harmful from happening inside the room while healing and calming all its occupants. Now I just have to wait for 'Blu' to arrive. Blu is the cute name that was given by the other servants to the young griffoness, it's a much better name than the one given by their master in my opinion.

-=-=- Blu -=-=-

"Heya Blu, how are your sides? Still in pain?" Asked Andraste.

I like Andraste, he's always been nice to me. He's the only servant here that's free, and he can leave whenever he wants. I think he has a hatchling at home which is why he's nice to me. I owe him my life several times over, if he hadn't stepped in the times he did then I'd probably be dead by now. At this point I don't know if I should thank him or blame him for my life.

"Still hurts allot." I said.

"And your wings?"

"I lost feeling in my wings a long time ago." I replied.

"I'm sorry Blu. One so young shouldn't have to go through this, I wish I could get you out of here." Looking dejected he spoke again. "If it wouldn't put my family at risk I'd take you away from here, but God's forgive me I can't take that chance. I hope you can forgive me my cowardice." He said refusing to meet my eyes.

Before I could speak he shook his head and grimaced. "There I go rambling again, uh I came because you're needed. I've already held you up long enough, I'll bring you to Sir Quill's room."

My eyes snapped open in alarm. "What? What does master Quill want with me?" I couldn't stop myself from trembling in fear.

"I don't really know, he asked for me specifically to bring you to him. He seems very interested in you, he asked about how you were treated. He seemed nice enough, when I talked to him. He's different from other ponies I've met."

That's what scares me. Ponies have been here before and they are always timid or scared, or just snooty. That pony's eyes terrify me, I could actually see the anger in them when he looked at my sides earlier. 'Please don't take me to him!' I could only nod in silence.

-=-=-=- -=-=-=-

They arrived outside the room of Sir Graphite Quill hesitating for a moment when they approached the door. As soon as they had walked within a few feet of the door they both felt an odd sensation, almost like static, before a feeling of safety enveloped them. A questioning look passed between them before Andraste shrugged and knocked on the door.

The door opened allowing a voice to escape. "Come on in both of you." Said Graphite Quill without turning around to look at them. Sir Quill was given one of the nicer guest rooms with a balcony, and seemed to be taking full advantage of the view.

Blu almost felt comfortable in the room when the doors closed behind her, however fear was still present in the back of her mind. She wasn't sure why the unicorn wanted to see her but she was glad Andraste was still there with her. She jumped at the sound of a voice after a few moments of silence. "Seven is here as requested Sir Quill." Andraste said in his formal voice.

"Please sit, relax for a bit. This is simply a social call Andraste, and you know how I feel about all that formal speech shit." Graphite said with a small chuckle and a smirk.

"Yeah yeah, just keepin up appearances. Go on and settle in kid, I get the feeling we might be in here a while."

-=-=- Graphite -=-=-

You may be right. My magic has so far done everything I wanted it to without fail but I've never directly healed another in this way. I can easily create an aura that does its job by itself but it would take far too long for it to do any good for Blu. Most of the magic I use is passive stuff that's low cost and low power, I don't even know if the aura could set or heal bone. I've only ever tested my spells on myself and I've had nothing worse than a paper cut or a mild sprain to heal. If there was ever a time I should be confident in my abilities it would be now. I can NOT fuck this up. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I screwed up.

"You might be right." I said directing my attention to Andraste. "How often does Brennus punish her like this?"

"By himself never, but if his wife is around its basically every week or two." He scrunched his face up in confusion. "I'm not sure why I told you that."

I was about to explain the magic in the room when we all heard a few wing flaps and the sound of hooves out on the balcony. It was Luna looking beautiful as ever under the light of her moon, making it near impossible to look away. She slowly strode into the room with a serene smile on her face, wings folding closed at her sides.

"Gods above Luna, are you trying to cause an aneurism?" I said under my breath.

"No, but I appreciate the thought that my appearance can still cause such reactions." She said with a demure smile.

Both of the griffons stood at attention and bowed at her approach. "Princess Lun-" Andraste started to say before he was interrupted.

"Please none of that now, I believe Graphite here already asked you to relax. I am not here for any specific reason, mainly just curiosity." She turned back to me. "What is this spell you have cast my friend? I feel the magic easing my fatigue and urging a feeling of safety into my mind. It makes me feel," she paused glancing around before walking past me to the bed, "free and without inhibition."

As she jumped up onto my bed and lay down I noticed the looks on the griffons faces and decided to allay their fears. "It's completely safe, the aura just allows your mind to focus on what's happening now rather than the past and conveying a calm feeling. As soon as you leave the area you'll feel the same as before you entered with no lingering effects. It's going to help with what I hope to accomplish tonight."

"What exactly are you hoping to do? I can't say I'm a fan of magic being used on us." Said Andraste.

With a flash I created a magic nullification field around him but not Blu. "I will happily keep my magic from you if that's what you wish but the kid's got a decision to make, and she needs to be able to think without fear constantly gripping her mind." I turned to look at Blu, noticing she has yet to look away from me since she came in. "Don't worry kid you're safe in here, I just wanted to see if you'd allow me to help you out with those cuts under your wings. I can heal those easily enough if you'll allow me, and if not?" I gestured towards the door. "You're free to leave at any time."

She finally averted her gaze to glance at the door then to Andraste. "Don't ask me kid, I don't like magic but I've seen it do some amazing stuff."

We all calmly waited for her answer while she sat staring at the floor. Luna was damn near asleep on my bed, a sight I could get used to, and Andraste sat looking deep in thought. After a full minute of silent Blu lifted her head.

-=-=- -=-=-

Blu had never had any trust issues because she had never known anything other than doing what she's told. She'd never been allowed to make her own decisions and was unsure about what she should do. She was still unsure about the unicorns true motives but she was starting to think that he actually cared.

"O-okay, do it." She said.

Graphite smiled, walked up to her and sat down holding out a hoof. "Hold onto my hoof and we'll start." Blu slowly reached out to grip his hoof in her talons, and as soon as she made contact she felt a tingling sensation run throughout her body. They watched as a glowing flow of magic passed between their connected arms flowing from Graphite to Blu and back. Everyone watched as the cuts under Blu's now raised wings mended only to then appear on Graphite. When all the cuts were gone the glow vanished and she released his hoof to feel around the once damaged area.

"There gone." She said in mild suprise which turned to concern when she noticed the fresh cuts going down Graphite's sides. "How did-" Stopping mid question she watched in awe at the sight of the cuts closing up and fur growing over the newly healed flesh.

"I transferred your injuries to myself because the healing process tends to be more painful than getting hurt in the first place. You've already been in enough pain, you didn't need more." He said looking a little fatigued. "I may be able to help with the wings as well but I can't transfer that kind of damage safely. However I can't fix them completely in one night, healing takes too much outta me. I can fix the nerve damage tonight which should allow you to move them easier but I'm not gonna lie, it will hurt allot."

Blu at this point was a mess of emotions, she didn't know how to respond to someone being so helpful. Until now, she thought that life was horrible and even wondered if it was worth living if there was only misery to look forward to. Now she thought differently. She felt something that she couldn't explain when he took her pain. It was as if he was the key to something she didn't know she needed.

"If you think you can then, p-please try." She didn't know why she wanted to do this, she thought it was pointless since her wings served no purpose.

Graphite smiled a small smile then pointed his horn down at Blu while telling his magic to heal her. Blu felt pain flare up in her wings for the first time in a long time, and she enjoyed being able to feel her wings again even if it was painful. Luna lay watching the flow of magic Graphite commanded in mild surprise at his control and output. Andraste watched as both Blu and Graphite began to look exhausted and started to sway on their feet. Just as he was about to speak the glow ceased and they both dropped to the floor. Blu was groaning and moving but Graphite was completely still, his breathing the only movement showing that he was still alive. Before Andraste was able to rush to their aid, both were lifted from the floor and onto the bed with a dark blue aura.

"They are both perfectly fine, do not worry. They are both very exhausted but all will be well in the morning." Princess Luna said after covering the two unconscious beings with a blanket. "She will be safe here I assure you, both Graphite and I will make sure of that. He will likely wake within the hour but she will sleep all night with the aid of my magic, she will need the rest after what she has just experienced. You are dismissed for now but please do return in the morning. "

"I see, I'll take my leave then." Andraste started for the door then stopped. "When he wakes please tell him thanks for healing her, and for being there for her." At Luna's nod he left the room for the night.

-=-=- Graphite -=-=-

"Ugh, what the hell happened?" I groaned opening my eyes. I was laying in my bed covered up feeling warmth emanating from both in front and behind me. Looking down I frowned seeing a ball of white fur and feathers sleeping against my stomach. Just as I was about to check my surroundings a sleepy voice behind me startled me.

"You *yawn* fell unconscious after the healing spell." I turned to see Luna laying back to back with me talking over her shoulder. "Used too much magic too quickly. While an admirable attempt, that was dangerous. You should be more careful." Stunned at being so close to Luna I only nodded so she continued. "Get some sleep, you will feel better in the morning." With that she lay her head back down and her breathing evened out letting me know she was fast asleep.

'How the fuck am I supposed to sleep with her this close?' This is going to be a long night.

-=-

Movement woke me up in the early morning. Opening my eyes I froze mid yawn at the sight of two teal colored eyes staring back. Remembering last night I finished my yawn and noticed another set of blue eyes also looking at me. "What? Was I snoring or something? " I asked.

"Or something." Luna replied glancing down. At some point in the night I had put my arms around Blu and I was still hugged her to me.

"Oh. Sorry about that, paternal instincts must have kicked in while I was asleep." I meant that as a joke but why else would I have held her like that? I mean I may be a jerk most of the time but I'm kind of a softy when it comes to kids.

"Do you wish to let her go so she can do her job? Also if you wanted to cuddle you could have asked me rather than forcing this young griffoness into it."

"Wait what?" While trying to figure out if I heard her right I must have had a funny look on my face because both Luna and Blu started giggling. I instantly realized that this is the first time I'd heard Blu laugh, let alone smile. "So it is possible!" I said directly to Blu.

She tilted her head with a confused expression on her face. "What's possible?"

"You just smiled and laughed. I was beginning to think you couldn't." I chuckled seeing Luna roll her eyes. "*sigh* Alright kid you'd better start doing whatever it is you're supposed to be doing right now. I don't want you to get into any trouble because of me. Sorry again for holding you hostage." I said setting Blu free from under my arm with a stretching yawn.

"It's ok, I don't mind. I was actually really c-comfortable. " She said with a sad smile.

A knock at the door interrupted my thoughts and a voice spoke from the hall. "Blu, you awake? Master Brennus is looking for you." It was Andraste.

All traces of a smile left her face as she hung her head walking towards the door. Just before she walked through the now open door she glanced back at me. Damn her for making me feel feelings. I placed a protection spell on her just before the door closed, just in case.

"You are a rare pony Graphite." Luna said. "Tell me, earlier when you mentioned your paternal instincts I realized that I know next to nothing about you. For instance, do you have any children of your own?"

Luna is asking me questions to get to know me better, while we're still laying in the same bed. Holy fuck this is weird, and strangely satisfying. "I do not. I've never really been the type to settle down long enough for anything like that."

"Really? None at all? You were being so protective of Blu that it made me believe you had some of your own out there somewhere."

Talking about my past and who I am is going to be difficult. I hate lying to those I respect but it's a necessary evil if I'm to hide who, or rather what, I was. I know that this place, and these ponies are very forgiving and understanding about just about everything, however for once in my life I know what disasters lay ahead. I'd rather not change this worlds history to something that is unknown to me. I finally have more control over my life, and I have plans that I absolutely cannot afford to mess up. I refuse to take a chance at breaking this world or losing what I've gained.

Realizing the long pause in my response I told the truth. "I want to take her from here."

"What?" Luna said quizzically.

"I'm not entirely sure why, but I need to get her out of here." I said putting extra emphasis on the word 'need'. "She's basically alone here with only Andraste who wouldn't even raise a claw to defend her from that pig Brennus. Her 'master' hurts her on a regular basis and no one does anything to stop him, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I just walked away without helping."

"You have helped, you have healed her injuries and given her hope." She said putting a consoling hoof on my shoulder.

"That's nothing but a pointless effort on my part if she stays here. I can't keep a shield going forever." I said sitting up no longer feeling tired.

She sat up as well, then spoke. "She is a servant owned by a powerful griffon who has nearly unlimited resources at his disposal. What will you do? You can not just take her."

I know she's right, but I can't let this go. Seeing what he's done to her and hearing about how she's treated just pisses me off. None of the other servants have shown any signs of abuse, Blu is the only one that has injuries that were never taken care of. "I don't know, but I have to do something."

"We should talk to my sister about this. I am sure she will understand, and will want to help you. Worry not my friend, we will figure this out." She then pulled me into a hug, enclosing me in her wings.

A few moments later the door opened. "Am I interrupting something?"

Startled by the voice we both jumped away from each other and I landed on my back on the floor. Looking up I saw Celestia with her hoof over her mouth trying to hide her laughter.