• Published 30th Mar 2023
  • 2,044 Views, 38 Comments

Never Going Back Again - NorrisThePony



Celestia is lost. She needs to get home.

  • ...
4
 38
 2,044

(---)

(postscript)

Celestia hit the ground in a slurry of yellowish-orange liquid, and there were what felt like a dozen hooves on her the moment she did. The impact should have stung, but it simply felt numb instead.

Her head was throbbing, a furious force feeling as though it were forcing through her skull, rending her apart from inside out.

She lay panting for a moment, blinking again and again but unable to will any sight into her gaze. Through what sounded like a tunnel, she heard urgent voices. She heard hooves scraping upon a marble floor.

And... She felt Twilight Sparkle’s hooves there, too. Even without her sight, and even with a dozen of them all helping her to her hooves, she could feel the distinct sensation of Twilight holding her tight, ignoring the heavy layer of biofilm still clinging to Celestia’s body.

“You’re here... You’re here...”

Shapes formed out of the blinding white, the longer Celestia squinted and stared. A window...tall, glass. The rising of buildings and smokestacks towards a dull sky of inky blacks. Taller and grander than she had ever seen them, even during the busy days of an industrializing Equestria.

And against it all...

“Twilight...” Celestia’s body was in agony, sore and numb and stiff and new all at once, but she pushed through the worse in order to wrap her hooves around Twilight’s neck. Off to her side, Luna was looking down at her, a small smile on her face and fresh tears streaming down her face. She knew she was moments from passing out, the sheer exertion on her newly awoken body even from the few moments spent conscious too much. Her headache went from splitting to agonizing. Her vision danced and swam. But... The mare she was holding felt real, for the first time in so long. Perhaps that feeling was enough.

She blacked out, in Twilight and Luna’s hooves. Beside her, several other pods were being tended to, as well, as the other inhabitants within emerged. Carefully and calmly, and with considerably less fanfare, but with the dignity befitting the ponies within all the same.

And somewhere, a million miles away, the gnarled ruins of an ancient space station lost the last of its purpose, as the point it had been orbiting for a dozen lifetimes ceased to be.

Author's Note:

Click here for an accompanying blog post.

As always, thank you for reading.

Comments ( 18 )

:twilightsmile:

There is still hope, then.

It's all very good. Thank you, for writing!

And somewhere, a million miles away, the gnarled ruins of an ancient space station lost the last of its purpose, as the point it had been orbiting for a dozen lifetimes ceased to be.

LETS GOOOOOO

The most ambiguous part of this ending is the fact that Celestia was carefully written to neither express memories of her time on the satellite nor lack them. I choose to believe that she remembers.

Wondrous work. It's a real use of the word refreshing to come to this conclusion while following in the wake or such a profoundly grinding start. It's just the perfect juxtaposition.

Amazing story, thank you for bringing it into the world

Depressive and hurting but in a right way ... Thanks for the great story!

holy fucking shit dude


i just

damn

words do not do
words do the cannot

y e s

11549267
I just finished this and you said everything I was going to say.

I liked this story. Dark and somber, but always with a note of hope.

Holy shit, this was good! 🤘

We need more hard sci-fi fics like this.

11567098
You should check out Cypress Zero. I helped with the prereading, and it really did scratch a hard sci-fi ponyfic urge I've felt myself for ages.

11567106
Thanks, I'll check it out right away!

Breathtaking. This is breathtaking.

11544313
Author excuse is likely “they used magic based technology to send the ship to the void so they can’t do it anymore” or something. Kinda of like the fact that dalek’s precursors, a post industrialized species, never developed concept of stair.

It’s sci-fi horror and a mop fanfic. You can’t really do much without being really out there.

And somewhere, a million miles away, the gnarled ruins of an ancient space station lost the last of its purpose, as the point it had been orbiting for a dozen lifetimes ceased to be.

beautiful, beautiful stuff. the use of Celestia is brilliant in this, as reducing the guiding Princess of Equestria to a copy and a tool (by Twilight herself no less!) really adds to the weight of the desperation these ponies face, while Celestia’s personal connection to an immortal pony makes her hope of survival and communication with Equestria more meaningful, in contrast with her mortal crewmates who only really have each other left. and there are so many wonderful closed loops here, from the cyclical nature of the resurrections themselves to Celestia’s last action being to save her Equestria by using the Elements of Harmony against the remains of Discord. and throughout, the way you made the decay and its progress felt was just amazing. thank you so much!

So happy that it ended happily because if it had all been for naught and Equestria was already apocalyzed decades ago and they didn't even manage to close the Tear I might've literally never gotten over it the same way I've never gotten over The Enigma of Amigara Fault.

Fantastic story. The creativity of the premise honestly has me in awe, and the execution was immaculate. I put off reading this for so long, but I'm glad I got around to reading it. I'm glad this is one of the stories I've gotten to experience in my mortal lifetime.

Login or register to comment