• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 7,208 Views, 670 Comments

Out of the Old, Into the New - SentientHydra



Follow the spaceship 'New Dawn' as its crew explores a new universe.

  • ...
40
 670
 7,208

Chapter 20: SPAAAACE!

“Very good Mr Guisarme, your inspection's nearly over, then I can declare you ready to fly.” the medic let go of the griffin's claw and stepped back, noting something on a floating computer screen.

Guisarme grumbled in annoyance, pulling his suit's claw back on “Of course I am ready to fly. I am a griffin, we live for the sky.”

The medic never dropped he smile in her tone, even if her face was completely hidden by an opaque helmet. “I don't doubt that Mr Guisarme, but we have to make sure your body is ready for the stresses of orbital ascent and microgravity.” she clicked her metal plated fingers, making a light appear on the end of one “now if you'll remove the hind section of your suit, we can get the last section of the physical check-up finished.”

The ambassador complied grumpily, his face the very picture of indignant annoyance as the woman poked and prodded at his back and undercarriage (the squawk he let out as her hand brushed his nethers sent a ripple of laughter around the room) after her probing fingers failed to find anything the medic changed tack, running a hand-held scanner over his legs and watching the shifting visual on her screen.

She paused for a moment on his right leg, where the screen showed a light blue line “how long ago did you injure this leg Mr Guisarme?”

“Hmm? Oh zat..” Guisarme let out a sigh, looking down to where the medic was pointing out the spot “oui, I fractured it while hunting three years ago, it 'as been aching ever since”

The medic felt along the fracture line, earning a wince from the griffin “hmm, we may need to keep an eye on that. But your suit should keep it in line.” She finished up with a last check on his paw-pads, responding to his objections with calm professional persistence.

Leaving the grumbling half-bird lion to get redressed the medic wandered over to the cargo hall's far end, where the titanic Shinescale was being looked over by a team of three, in something that was half medical examination, half biological study.

The coming conclusion seemed to be that, aside from the soft tissues around the eyes and orifices, the dragon was very quickly approaching indestructibility; he had willingly swallowed toxic material (a lead ballast-weight and a small tank of mercury) without ill effect, going so far as to declare them 'tasty'. Metal surgical tools broke, bent and splintered on his armoured hide, and a sheet of marine plates were cut like rice-paper under his razor claws and teeth.

Shinescale was reclining on the floor with an air of curiosity and bemusement as the mammals scurried around his unsuited form, running their little tests and scanning him innumerable times. “I would assume that I am ready to fly?” he chuckled, tapping the helmet of a medic as he passed, claw carefully folded away.

The medic turned, looking up at the giant with a strange lack of fear for a tiny mammal, especially one that now knew exactly what the dragon before him was capable of. Though the medic did seem a little embarrassed by something, his hand coming up to rub the back of his helmet “We're not sure.”

This surprised the drake, so much so that he deigned to raise a craggy eyebrow.

“You're tough Mr Shinescale, that's for sure. But we're not sure how a creature of your size will react in microgravity, or under the G-strain of an orbital burn. Your bones could implode under their own weight, your lungs could collapse.” he seemed a little strained “we just don't have any point of comparison to work off. The largest land animal we have on biological records is simply not equitable, and we never attempted to get it into space.”

Shinescale considered this carefully, cupping his claws under his chin and slowly nodding “that is a problem, a tricky one for sure.” His eyes lit up, and with gentleness born from endless experience he placed a long clawed hand on the man's shoulder “How about this, if you'd listen to the rambling solution of an old fool.”

The great reptile waited for the medics to assemble before elaborating, after a slow, drawn out intake of air “come the morrow, I will have lived on this planet for one thousand, two hundred thirty five years, three months, and 7 days.” Seeing looks of disbelief pass between the mammals Shinescale smiled, pushing himself fluidly up on his haunches “believe me, or don't, it matters not. No matter how many years you choose to believe I have lived, I am a very old drake, I have seen the rise of nations and the fall of empires. By all accounts I have had my fun, thus I choose to spend my twilight years in the paradise that is Equestria.”

The medics, engineers, marines and officers had all settled down to listen, the giant dragon's rumbling tones inducing a kind of reverent silence in the crew, with even the venerable Captain Morgan finding a seat.

Smiling with toothy benevolence at the silent cargo bay Shinescale gazed down and carried on with his landslide lecture “so little ones, I would propose a compromise to save us all some bother.” With slow movements and easy grace the draconic elder began gathering his plated suit in his claws “I will simply ask that you do your level best to protect me against dangers I cannot fathom, in exchange I will do my very best not to die.”

The room as a whole remained in silence, wondering if they were supposed to find it as funny as the chortling dragon seemed to.

His chuckles shook the air with their passing “if by some chance our joint efforts fail, crumbly old bones imploding and dusty lungs giving up the ghost, I will trust that between Celestia's mastery of the arcane arts, my own natural resilience, and your claimed mastery of the sciences, you will find some method to save me.” The chest piece went on with a motion that seemed patiently practised “if not, then the world will be only be short one ancient, scaly, fool” with that the scaled behemoth smiled one last time as the helmet hissed into place, hiding his laughing eyes.

“All the people of our world would mourn your passing Ambassador, modesty does not become someone of your stature” Celestia had naught but smiles in her voice as she re-entered the lifter, metal shoes tip-tapping in tandem with her striped companion. Hekima seemed to press closer to the alicorn as the eyes of the humans fell upon him.

Shining Armour was the first to speak, trotting up and sounding happy beneath his visor, even as he saluted “Princess, Ambassador. I was beginning to get worried we'd leave without you.”

Celestia nodded “at ease Captain Armour, I'm sure that was an unfounded fear” she returned the salute with a wing while she pressed on past towards Morgan, Hekima following without a word and the unicorn guard falling into step.

Morgan looked over with a grin fading into existence at the alicorn's approach “Hello again Celestia, Hekima” he nodded to each in turn “we're just about done with the medical exams, so I think it's time to rock and roll.

Guisarme interrupted, screeching in offence “wait one second! Why do they not need to be prodded and poked as we have?” he tried to rear up over captain and intimidate the human, failing miserably.

Captain Morgan smiled friendlily at the half-bird and explained “Simple my good Griffin, Mr Hekima's suit contains a full medical scanner, and since my species is pretty familiar with horse anatomy we've been able to run through his checks with those.” He turned to look at the alicorn “as for Celestia, I doubt a short trip to orbit will do much to harm her, considering the nigh-invulnerability displayed by her sister.”

Guisarme snorted, clearly only half satisfied. Still he dropped the issue and asked instead “So zen, if we are to fly, are zere seats?”

An engineer answered that at Morgan's prompting “Uh yes sir, it took a while to dig the schematics for quadruped harnesses out of the archives, but we managed to get them ready.” The man twirled on his heel and pulled a holo-screen out of his suit's arm, tapping away at it's display with practised speed.

There was a gentle humming sound as four strange looking net-lined seats lowered themselves, unattached to any supports, to the floor and secured themselves to the metal grid-work with a 'snip-snap' clang of hooks and claws.

While the medical crew guided the equinauts to their seats and the humans made for their own, the engineers headed over to Shinescale, the foremost saying “We couldn't manufacture any harnesses in your size Ambassador, so we'll have to secure you straight to the deck.” they sounded apologetic.

The dragon nodded, saying nothing beside a snicker, instead lying down in the position indicated, his limbs slightly splayed and tail curled around him. The engineer crew moved with precision, tossing fabric-wrapped cable between themselves, effectively tethering the great reptile to the deck in a mesh of high-strength cord.

With each of the equinauts in their place, the flight crew settled into routine; distributing and connecting air-tanks to everyone on board, making final harness checks, and finally closing the back-hatch.

With the cargo bay in anticipatory silence, an engineer on board took centre stage, addressing newcomers and veterans of ground to orbit flight alike.

“Good morning folks. If at any time during this flight you want to talk, I would prefer to be known as Senior Flight Engineer Bradshaw, Bradshaw, or Sir. I hope we all have a good flight, but before we take-off I'd like to go over a few very important topics.”

Guisrame made a few grumbles, shifting in his harness.

Bradshaw completely ignored the bird “First things first, hierarchy.” He shifted into an at ease position “While you are on board this craft, I am top dog, I am responsible for the safety and security of everyone on this deck, and if one of you dies, it is my head on the chopping block. In the event of emergency I will expect every one of you, god or dragon, to follow my commands in both letter and spirit.”

Every human on board, including Morgan, shouted an affirmation in standard then, leaving the equinauts to nod.

Bradshaw seemed to smile behind his visor as he continued “Good. With that out of the way, let's talk about procedure.”

The next half hour was filled with a long lecture, outlining in brutally stark detail all the ways the flight could go wrong, and then what to do in those eventualities (For the last scenario, something referred to simply as a 'Tartarus Plunge', his only instructions were to pray to the first available god and prepare for the end.)


On a distant mountaintop, seven friends sat, lay and stood around a flickering camp-fire (with the exception of Spike, who was lying directly on the fire), the snow melting off the rock in a rough circle around the light.

One of the seven, a purple unicorn with a straight-edge mane, glared with no shortage of annoyance at another, a blue pegasus with a prismatic mane.

“How could you just go flying off like that Rainbow Dash?! The Princess wants us to stay here for a reason, not so you can go racing anything in the skies.” Twilight's tirade was hot with anger and nerves.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes as she stretched, her cheeks red and breath heavy with exertion “relax Twi, the Princess isn't going to be in any trouble just because I flew off for like five minutes.” There came an eye-watering series of pops when the athletic pony began cracking her joints “besides, you saw how fast that thing was, I couldn't resist.”

Twilight facehoofed with both hooves “it's not about that Rainbow! 'Because it's fast' is not a good enough reason for you to go chasing after an alien flying machine, what if you got hurt? We need to be here for the princess.”

Applejack spoke her piece, tossing another piece of wood onto the fire as she did. “It was pretty silly of ya Rainbow, the Princess did ask us all to stay here” looking off to the distant Canterlot she tapped a hoof to her chin “Though ah suppose there ain't much them aliens could do to Celestia, what with her being a god an' all.”

“They did catch Luna” Fluttershy spoke her mind quietly, but in the tense silence that followed, her voice seemed far too loud “A few of my bird friends that have friends in Canterlot told me she screamed loud enough to shake windows.”

Twilight seemed especially perturbed by the news, closing her hooves over her head and sinking down onto her blanket.

Rarity added on “That is rather loud... Though with Shining Armour alongside her I shan't worry.” she tried to be reassuringly confident, but failed miserably as she too looked to the far city, her eyes tracking a seemingly tiny dot of black that rose off the plateau.

Rainbow Dash spoke again dismissively “pffft You can't be serious Rarity, if the aliens can break two alicorns, what's one unicorn gunna do?” She began digging in her backpack for something.

Twilight sunk further into her hooves, whimpering.

Pinkie seemed oblivious to Twilight as she bounced up and down, answering “He could get darted like I did!”

Rarity seemed about to scream, but kept her voice to low growl “Pinkie...”

“then the aliens would do weird alien things to him'”

“Pinkie...”

“ they'd strap him to a big table and he'd yell a lot”

“Pinkie..!”

“but they'd just laugh”

“Pinkie.!!”

“and stick a huge probe up his b-”

Rarity lost it “PINKAMENA DIANE PIE”

Pinkie stopped mid-sentence, turning to her friend with an innocent smile “Yeah?”

The white unicorn's voice was more than a little acid “I was trying to be a little reassuring to a certain one of our friends, who is clearly upset about two of her closest ponies being in danger” with a tense stab of her hoof the fashionista indicated a cringing pile of purple pony, who was having a hard time fighting off tears by the look of things.

Pinkie went from mid-bounce to her fuchsia friend's side in less time than it took most people to blink, her voice apologetic “sorry Twi. I guess I got a little carried away.”

Twilight sniffed “It's okay Pinkie.” She looked with the rest towards Canterlot, and the black dot that seemed to be growing extraordinarily fast.

Applejack commented “ah think them aliens are coming back.”

That made the whole group look, to where the black dot got closer faster and faster, rising as it did.

Rainbow suddenly looked incredulous “No way...”

At her friend's looks she explained “it's getting way too fast way too quickly. Nothing's that speedy, especially nothing that big.”

the approaching craft was reflected in Twilight's eyes as she calculated mentally, her anxiety forgotten “I hate to poke holes in your theory Rainbow, but I think it's going pretty quick”

The craft was clearly visible, even as it gained altitude “How fast?” Rarity asked nervously, perhaps noting the way low clouds bent and distorted behind the alien vehicle.

Rainbow answered, taking a small step back as it came closer “like two and a half times faster than me at my fastest, and accelerating.” Her flight goggles fell out of her hoof, into the snow and forgotten for the moment.

Applejack went to comment, making it to “Tarna-” before the black skinned behemoth passed over. There came a pregnant pause of a split second.

Then the world was noise, ear-splitting, brain twisting, air torturing noise that started at utterly unnatural decibel levels and only seemed to get louder.

The group atop all laid down with hooves over their ears under a shimmering sphere of protective magic, a silencing spell cast on pure instinct by their purple-furred friend.

Applejack opened her eyes as the noise finally faded to a distant rumble, finishing lamely “-tion, that's quick.”

The friends all followed the alien craft as it ascended, climbing steeply until it was lost among the clouds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aboard the lifter, there was an air of tension as the altitude rose, the whine and roar of the engines outside reduced to a dull hum by the thick walls.

Morgan sat in silence for only half a minute before speaking up “so, any questions? I promise to answer as honestly as possible.”

There was another silence as the ambassadors all looked about for a subject, all apart from Hekima, who was curled up tightly in his seat, alternating between restrained angry glares and whimpers every time a crew-member looked his way.

Guisarme found a tin of something hidden in a pocket on his chair. He held it up to the light and queried “what is zis?” As he asked he gazed with interest at the alien language printed next to a pull-tab.

A marine close to him answered “It's a ration pack, click the little button on the bottom and wait for a few seconds, then you pull the tab.”

The griffin did so, revealing steaming brown lumps in a thick red sauce, interposed with green chunks.

The marine shrugged “You got the beef stew, bummer”

Another looked at him “You don't like the stew?”

From there the two descended into an argument, switching to a private channel for the sake of everyone's ears

The Equestrians all looked to the tin, an awkward silence pervading until Celestia broke it “Beef? As in meat?”

The captain was almost uncomfortable, but decided against it “yes, yes it is. Humans are omnivores.”

Hekima barked “HA! I knew it! How many innocent beasts did you slaughter to stock your ship?”

There was silence again for a moment, then a chuckle spread among the assembled humans. Spreading until it grew into a gale of laughter. The equestrians all began to look uncomfortable just as it died away.

After it all died away the Zebra looked about ready to have a heart attack, shrinking into his seat and shivering in terror.

The captain quieted away the last few chuckles with waves of his hands “okay people, enough laughing at the nice horse. He doesn't know.”

Hekima only whimpered, so Celestia asked for him “know what captain?” the god looked towards the stricken equine, concern radiating off her.

The captain looked over to the striped ambassador and explained “Mr Hekima there doesn't know enough about us humans to know that meat's never been within 5,000 kilometres of an actual cow. All our meat rations are synth-meat, artificial muscle tissue grown in vats.”

Hekima stopped shivering slightly, enough to squeak “What?”

“We don't kill animals for meat, not any more. Population's so high there's no point going to all that trouble when we can just grow it artificially” the captain shrugged “it's much more efficient.”

Hekima recovered just enough to be disgusted “That sounds disgusting.”

“But tastes pretty good” Guisarme commented -having removed the faceplate of his helmet, tossing a piece of the stew into his maw and gulping it down. At an implied horrified expression on the zebra's face he shrugged. “What? It is meat, I am a griffin. Plus, ze captain did say zat no animals die.”

Hekima snorted and looked away. “Let us talk about something else”, with annoyance palpable in the air around him, he turned and growled “like what exactly you have done to Luna? What tortures have you put her through?”

The gargantuan armoured marine commander took that question, his tone neutral but full of growl “we don't torture prisoners, that would be against regulations.” His armour clanked and hissed when he crossed his arms “Prisoner Luna has been treated as appropriate given the immense threat she poses to the safety of our ship and crew; food, water, breathable air and clothing have been provided according to regulations 56a to 56g. Despite repeated violent behaviour we have also seen fit to give her entertainment.”

Morgan nodded to the giant “Thank you CSO” then turned to the Zebra “as my security chief said, Luna is completely fine. Apart from a surgical examination at the start we haven't done anything.”

Hekima reigned in his growl, barely “and I am supposed to believe your word alone?”

Morgan didn't snarl or inject any anger into his tone, but the look on his face made it clear that such an event was on the near horizon. “Of course not”

It was Shinescale that broke the staring match that seemed to be developing, looking to Bradshaw and querying “I would like to know Bradshaw, are all humans so different in size and shape?” He indicated the range of non-marine humans and titanic bulk of CSO”

Bradshaw grinned, glad for a distraction “Yep. Us humans are a diverse bunch, even more so now that we have the tech to make surgical and genetic changes” He looked over the crew “In fact..” He motioned to a few crew-members "alright people, I know we've got a few 'modders' aboard today. Anyone want to show off their stuff?"

A few glances were exchanged before two or three humans got to their feet, the foremost chuckling "If you think they can handle it.

The yellow-suited engineer tapped his helmet's release, the seal breaking with a hiss as the plastic shell was lifted away, showing his black-specked red skin and long raven hair, the wider-than-natural eyes glittered snake-scale green in the dim light. When he spoke fangs glistened and clicked around a long reptilian tongue.

Next down the line was a little more sheepish, her blue hairless head lacking ears and nose, her quadruple eyes pure onyx.

A medic down the hall opened his suit down to his waist, showing off a smaller set of arms wrapped around his torso, all his hands had webbing between the fingers, his neck sported gills.

A marine in his armur chuckled at the display "how much that gill rig run you? I hear lung mods are pretty expensive."

the aquatic medic smiled "not much, I know a guy who did it for a hundred plates.

Shining Armour tried hard, but he couldn't hide the mild disgust in his tone “You paid to have that done to yourself?” He cringed slightly at a recriminatory glance from his ruler, even though Celestia sat directly behind him.

Bradshaw laughed a little there, drawing attention off of the suddenly shrinking medic, clicking his own helm's release, he pulled it off to show the mass of metal covering his head's left side, sinking down below his neckline “it's better than having no choice at all.”

No words came from Shining Armour's mouth, but the query was plain enough to see.

Bradshaw shrugged, his lips curving into a smile “engineering accident during my apprenticing years, million degree plasma bloom right to the face, I got some emergency cybernetics to save my life.”

Around the room other humans all showed off their own cybernetics, some with entire limbs replaced with shimmering metal.

Guisarme looked a little intrigued by the new development “you can alter yourselves with flesh or metal in such a manner?” A feathery eyebrow raised, a claw stroked a beak in a thoughtful manner “would it work for other species?”

There was a long pause, in which there was a general feeling of silent conversation between the humans, many glances were exchanged, a hash of whispered words and half-heard fragments filled the air.

Hekima took the opportunity to growl at the Griffin “How can you even consider letting them alter your body?

Guisarme snorted “Why not? Think of zer possibilities technology of that sort would allow.”

Celestia was deep in thought, weighing in with a distant "a plethora of possibilities...."

“And dangers galore.” Morgan interjected, the whispers in the air fading “I've had a conference chat with a few officers and my chiefs. We've all decided to hang on to the more cutting edge equipment, at least until we need to.

Celestia spoke up, her soft voice carrying far despite the metallic buzz “Our technology will progress with or without your help captain, even if only from our brightest minds observing your wonders.”

Morgan nodded “that's fine, it's expected technological progression, but being straight up handed too much tech two hundred years or more ahead of your own however, is an entirely different matter. I'll be happy to show off our stuff, but I'll be holding onto the more cutting edge equipment until I am forced”

Guisarme grumbled slightly, but seemed content as the metallic voice rang out again.

“Alert. Alert. Orbital Ascension in three point zero four minutes, Orbital Ascent in three point zero four minutes. Please secure all loose equipment and re-check safety harnesses. Anti-gravity cushioning activating in four... three... two... one.” The back of the cavernous craft rang out with a heavy buzz as hidden devices activated.

The captain explained to the equinauts as he checked his own harness “That's our anti-grav safety net. If your harness gets loose during the burn that'll make sure you don't break any bones.”

A whirring sound started up, and all the seats around the cavernous hold swivelled to face front, the last crew-members finding their seats.

There was a whining sound rising over the distant rumble of engines.

In the expectant silence that followed the whine grew to a higher and higher note, until it ceased to be a sound in the ears, becoming a strange tingling sensation.

As the computer counted down the final seconds Bradshaw called over the whine and the rumble.

"Get ready to feel the acceleration! The bulk lifter is a fat and ugly beast, but by Tartarus it can put out some thrust!"

The computer counted with some finality

"Orbital Burn commencing in 5..."

"4..."

"3..."

"2..."

"1... Orbital Burn comme-"

A giant had entered the cavern, invisible and immaterial but for his pushing foot against every equinaut, a crushing pressure that shoved everyone into their seats --aside from Ambassador Shinescale, who unsheathed his claws and dug them into the metal floor, holding himself in place--

The rumble of engines, once distant and muted by the walls, was now replaced and overshadowed by the air-filling roar of some great beast, mixed with the crack of thunder and crackle of infernal flames. Guisarme was in genuine discomfort, straining not to let out a shriek as his predatorily acute hearing was pained --Celestia noticed this, and without apparent speech ordered Shining armour to cast a sound blocking spell over the griffin's ears.

... Minutes passed by...

High above Equestrian skies, a star was born. The distant black dot of the alien craft flared into light so bright it burned the eyes, the rolling boom of some great detonation fading into the rumble of distant storms....

The cacophonous bellow lasted for many minutes, the pressure relenting slowly as their altitude increased, the computer reading out slowly decreasing times with every few moments, the grating electronic tones somehow audible even over the din.

It stopped as suddenly as it started, the pressuring Titan left, the beast quietened to nothing.

The captain laughed, along with the human crew, a few whoops and glances being exchanged.

Almost as one the crew turned to check on their passengers.

Celestia still sat tall and proud where she had been, her mask without inclination or any hint of discomfort.

Behind the goddess sat the indomitable Captain Armour, his manner only slightly broken as he sat in apparent imitation of his ruler's stature.

On the other side Hekima cowered, from the laughter of the humans and from the strain he had been put through.

Guisarme had recovered, thrived even since the soundproofing had been cast on his ears, his eyes and muzzle pointed eagerly "That was wonderful Captain Morgan, ze speed. Ze power!" He turned to Shinescale "Do you not agree Shinescale?"

The dragon didn't answer immediately, nor after a moment. the reptile lay still and silent as the grave.

Celestia looked then, her head snapping round to gaze at the still reptile as she spoke in another alien language --draconic to the equinaus, an archaic mix of slavic and eastern european languages to those humans who knew it.-- ["Elder Shine-scale, Are you okay?"]

Her horn flared, her body erupting in a flash of light and bang of concussive sound as she teleported out of her seat and over to the drake, bowing her head to nudge at his statuesque form ["Elder Shine-scale!"] For a moment no longer than a blink her composure slipped, showing a hint of mortal mare under her divine mask.

A stunned silence enveloped the humans, a few eyes fixed on the dissipating sparkles of her teleport, a few more on the alicorn attempting to rouse the dragon.

It took only scant split seconds before the first medic slapped her restraints, pushing out of her seat and floating quickly to the reptile's side. She pushed Celestia gently to the side, sending the ruler tumbling away in the now gravity-less hold "Let me see."

The human put her hand against the giant's side and tapped away at a wrist mounted holo-computer. In a few seconds she chuckled "silly old beastie you", seeing the concern of the Equinauts she explained "Nothing to worry about folks, the shock of the burn put him into a comatose state, but he's rousing already. A little oxygen starved from where his lungs were crushed up though, I'll just increase the air-flow from his tank a tad."

Celestia sighed with relief (flaring her horn and capturing herself in a field of magic to stop her tumbling) "Oh thank you. I was worried."

The medic chuckled, slapping the metal plates of the dragon-suit as Shinescale rumbled into life.

As the tension dissolved into the air Morgan slapped his own restraints and floated gently up into the air "well then, now that's done, how does a little zero-g play-time sound to everyone?" he looked to the engineers and ordered in standard "we'll discuss the teleportation later in private, for now get all of them out of their restraints so they can have some fun."

The next few seconds were frantic with activity in a slow, strange kind of way, humans floating about in precisely ordered chaos, undoing harnesses and checking systems

The equinauts began to get slowly used to the challenges and perks of zero-gravity, with each flailing wildly at first as they adjusted, then getting the motions down while the humans demonstrated their skill, some marines even ballroom dancing in mid-air, showing off with tricks and flips.

Guisarme in particular enjoyed himself, bouncing from wall to wall with languid, easy movements, rebounding off objects in mid-float to alter his trajectory "Join ze fun 'ekima!"

The Zebra grunted in response, floating a little out of his chair only to anchor himself to the 'ground' his legs "I will not take part is this foolish and fraudulent idiocy."

The striped equinaut found himself lifted into the air however, as Shinescale stretched out a claw to pry the reluctant ambassador from the floor "Come now Hekima, you are embarrassing only yourself with such childishness." before he found himself on the end of the --now furious-- zebra's sharp tongue the dragon tossed the equine into the air, sending the zebra into a tumbling spin "I for one feel a thousand years younger, as if I weigh nothing at all." clearly delighting in the lack of effort the behemoth set himself into a slow twirl, curling carefully around the smaller creatures that floated near him.

Celestia was enjoying the zero gravity in her own way, by observing others in their fun.

Morgan slowly floated up beside her, arms behind his back and posture smartly straight despite the lack of ground to stand on (the fact that he was upside down detracted nothing) "enjoying yourself Princess?"

Celestia allowed herself to spin, matching Morgan's orientation with a smile on her hidden face "absolutely captain, it is a strange thing to be without gravity, very strange indeed.

Morgan chuckled "It's always entertaining, watching newbies playing in the zero-g. Takes me back to my first flight."

The two floated gently apart, watching the fun unfold.

Then Bradshaw spoke up,then "Alright folks, who want's to see the thin blue line? We're riding just ahead of the dawn right now, so it should be a good view."

The human crew shifted then, everyone taking position to get a good view of the aircraft's back.

All the equinauts seemed confused, none moreso than Shining Armour "uuh, thin blue line?"

Bradshaw just chuckled "You'll see." With a little flourish he pressed a few buttons on the hold wall.

There was a hiss, and the grating tone spoke "Warning, atmosphere venting, Warning, atmosphere venting. Please ensure all seals are intact.

Sound slowly left the world, every little thing that could be heard became muted, distant and faded until it vanished completely. All that anyone could hear were the sounds of their own biology, and distorted half-noises whenever they touched something else.

Hekima was panicking, thrashing around for long moments before he was calmed, Celestia's horn glowing and speaking inside the zebra's mind, an entire conversation in the span of milliseconds.

"Calm yourself Hekima, you are in no danger."

The Zebra spat back "No Danger!? They are attempting to murder us Celestia! My ears no longer work, and the air rushes to leave the room!"

The alicorn spoke with only calm understanding "There is no sound in the void my dear, and we have air, it comes from the tanks on your sides." Indeed there were tanks of air, one on each side, like saddle-bags.

"I still do not like this Celestia, How can you trust them so easily?" the ambassador was several degrees calmer now, Celestia's confident tone and sedating magic working their charms to ease his panic.

"Because I know they have good hearts, underneath their metal shells they are creatures like you and I, with thoughts and fears and dreams. Remember your promise Ambassador." A tiny teleport brought the alicorn to Hekima's side, her metal -fabric clad neck rubbing against his in reassuring gesture.

The humans were too captivated to notice Celestia's teleport then --though one of the cameras dotted around the hold tracked her with robotic jerks of motion--, each eye trained on the back of the craft as it began to split open, revealing a blue-green planet shining below.

Bradshaw pointed, his voice appearing inside everyne's helmest with a crackle of hidden speakers "There's the thin blue line Captain Armour"

His pointing finger was easy enough to follow, all the away over to the rim of the planet, where the rising sun peeked over the horizon, illuminating a thin barrier of atmosphere covering the world.
Source

Even Hekima was stunned to silence and stillness.

Shinescale rumbled to the captain after a moment, his eyes fixed on the world beyond "Captain Morgan..."

Th man turned, looking around till her found the free-floating behemoth "Yes?"

A small yelp found it's way out of the old human, despite his best efforts, as the giant reptile moved faster than some might believe possible to sweep the little mammal up into a giant-sized embrace "I would thank you Captain. I have seen many sights in my long life, beheld treasure-hoards the size of cities, animals exotic and unique. But this is one I shall covet until my dying hour."

The elderly officer gave the hug back as best he could to the ancient titan, though his arms covered barely on sixteenth the barrel of the ambassador "You're welcome" he sounded amused, his face mirroring even as he was released to float away.

Shining Armour piped up then, turning away from the sights to ask Bradshaw "Sooo. Where's the ship?"

The guard's question was answered before it was finished, his eyes picking out a distant speck against the blue line, one that grew with every passing second, lengthening and becoming more detailed.

The dawn was almost here.

Author's Note:

<Author's note> If any of you are wondering how to read Shinescale, I always read his lines as I'm writing them in the voice of Tree-beard from LotR, I like to imagine his voice as that, but with a bit of Balrog mixed in for that stony texture. </Author's note>
Image used = Property of NASA.gov Source

Comments ( 63 )

Publishing a new chapter because I have to or I never will :applejackconfused:

Not happy with it, but I've been tweaking it and editing it for the past week, and if I don't throw it out here now I don't imagine it ever would be finished.:fluttershysad:

Now for the next chapter, and the actual tour of the new dawn:pinkiecrazy:

:moustache:

Wow!

It looks like Gryphons and Humans are fairly similar.

I love how you're trying hard to avert Humans are Bastards.

Also, you need to watch your capitalization. There's a few moments where you didn't capitalized proper nouns.

This is my favorite chapter so far :pinkiehappy:

2054656
glad that you finally got a new chapter out

it would also be most appreciated if you could give a picture at least close to the dawn

personally Shinescales voice in my head was Sean Connery and it sounded fantastic :rainbowwild:

I wondered how they'd react to seeing their world from orbit for the first time was a bit disappointed though when the only described reaction was that they all went silent and what Shinescale said even if it was kinda poetic :pinkiesmile:.

Awesome, awesome, awesome! :twilightsmile: :pinkiehappy:

And I read Celestia in Morgan Freeman's voice. :rainbowlaugh:

2054832 you're a god damn genius

I really look forward to the point where they realize that the sun and moon moves on their own so to speak. That will be awesome.

That is something I want to see with my own eyes someday.I want to see want our little dust speck of a planet looks like from up above as well. Hell, I want to stand on the Lunar surface and cover the Earth with my hand. Those lucky Equestrians.

Yes! Infinite YES!

Also, Hekima is starting to get really, really annoying.

2054656 For me shinescales voice was more like paarthurnaxs' voice from Skyrim. Also MY FEELS!! :fluttercry:

Unique chapter... MOAR! :flutterrage:

2055058

I think it's already been show that the alicorn's do actually move the solar bodies. The planet itself transfers unbelievable power from all the living creatures on the planet to Celestia and Luna at dawn and dusk, giving them the magic to move them. It's what those spikes the ships crew have been measuring.

Mass-produced synthetic meat...
Freedom to significantly modify our bodies as we please...
A united Earth/Humanity...
Interstellar travel (or just about)...
Humans AREN'T bastards and are actually quite reasonable and likeable...
This vision of the future seems very familiar... way too familiar.
Are you me?

Also, Guisarme is the best character.

Beautiful. Just beautiful. So, based on RD's comment on the ship moving 2.5x faster than her and still accelerating, I'm guessing you saw the calculations about how the Sonic Rainboom is Mach 10.

Shinescale. I like this dragon.

Orbital insertions are always so awesome.

Ooooo, was that the first teleportation they've seen?

2055393

I think is far more likely that they simply speed up / slow down the speed of rotation of the planet. Remember, a group of unicorns had the job of doing it before Celestia and Luna where around so.... And Celestia was kind of a push over in her fight against chrysalis.

Either way, I cant wait till I can see Luna and Celestia be put in their place for believing they're gods.

And as a third note, why haven't the humans achieved eternal life yet? We are close to finding the key to stopping ageing this very day. Id think they would have it by then.

2055990

Either way, I cant wait till I can see Luna and Celestia be put in their place for believing they're gods.

What is a God, though?
If there was a human that had lived for two thousand years with no sign of aging, was three times the height of anyone else, was a hundred + times more powerful than the most powerful human and every dawn and dusk had the power of a billion, had hair that defied gravity and physics, that were nearly impossible to injure in a significant manner, what would he be to us?

I mean, until the whole stupid 'All powerful, all seeing, all knowing' Christian God thing came out, that's pretty much what a God was.

In a land of ants, a human child is a God.

2056037

Godhood is being omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. Celestia and Luna are none of them.

With your reasoning I could invade a third world village with modern technology / weapons and declare myself a god.

2056099

Godhood is being omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient.

You mean like Zeus? Or Athena? Hermes? Or any of the many other Greek Gods?

What about the Norse Gods? Like Thor and Odin?

What about Egyptian Gods?

These guys were Gods long before Christianity came along, and none of them were omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. They died, were killed by mortals, were tricked and lied to.
Yet they were considered Gods too, and are still referred to even today.
How about many other Gods in fiction, that, like this story, have fallible, mortal, and limited Gods?

Your problem is you are taking a very narrow (and Christian) view of what a God is, good sir.

2056177

Again, with that reasoning I could invade a third world village with modern technology / weapons and declare myself a god. So declaring godhood based on difference of power simply isn't good enough.

And wouldn't a creator of a universe if such a thing exists be all knowing? Considering they made it?

2056229
Guess I'll have to ask the (implied) question again to get you to answer it.
Do you consider Mythological beings such as Zeus, Ares, Ra, Thor and Odin as being correctly labeled as Gods?

And wouldn't a creator of a universe if such a thing exists be all knowing?

Sure, they'll know a bunch of things from having set the blocks into place, but that's not going to help figure out what's behind door 3 in a contest of luck.

Again, with that reasoning I could invade a third world village with modern technology / weapons and declare myself a god

If you came from a society that those things were commonplace, then no. They might think you are, but calling yourself one? You know if would be a lie. But that's not relevent to the discussion. We're talking about a completely different situation, with very key differences.
What's closer to the situation in this fiction is -

If you're born into said society, and grew up a powerful beyond belief, nearly perfect, nearly invulnerable being, that's three times taller than the second tallest man, then why would you not consider yourself God like? Why the hell would anyone not consider you as one?

Again, throughout myth, and fiction, what a God is wildly changes from myth to myth, fiction to fiction. Are you going to trudge up to an author of fantasy, and tell him he can't use the word God in his novel? I would hope not.

Claiming that the only ones that can be labeled a God is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient, is a fallacy made by modern myths. And must really suck for you when reading Fantasy books.


EDIT: Actually, scrap everything I just wrote, and lets go right to the text book definition.
Deity

A deity (Listeni/ˈdiː.ɨti/ or Listeni/ˈdeɪ.ɨti/) is a being, natural, supernatural or preternatural, with superhuman powers or qualities, and who may be thought of as holy, divine, or sacred. Believers may consider or believe that they can communicate with the deity, who can respond supernaturally to their entreaties, and that the deity's myths are true.[1][2] Some religions have one supreme deity, others have multiple deities of various ranks.

A male deity is a god, while a female deity is a goddess

de·i·ty
/ˈdē-itē/
Noun

A god or goddess (in a polytheistic religion): "a deity of Ancient Greece".
Divine status, quality, or nature: "a ruler driven by delusions of deity".

Synonyms
divinity - godhead - god

Supernatural being with Superhuman (equine) powers and qualities, and thought of as holy, divine and sacred aptly describes Celestia and Luna, don't you think?

Astronaut
Astro: space
Naut: sailor
Someone who 'sails' though space. (Hence the term 'starship')

Equinaut
Equine: horse
Naut: sailor
Someone who 'sails' though... a... horse?
What?


Also I don't think you know what 'fraudulent' means.
In case you're wondering, the dictionary defines it as "Obtained, done by, or involving deception, esp. criminal deception"
Essentially, it just means 'fake' or 'false' but in the sense of being 'tricky.' Implying that the idiocy was in some way tricky.


I hope that I was of help to you. In any case, this was a great chapter. Keep up the good work. :pinkiehappy:

You forgot to capitalize letters several times when they started conversation.

Also I read Shinescale in Paathurnax's voice.

2056229 Stop trying to enforce your own view of what a god should be. Some religious people... Sheesh.

As a side note, we are close to finding the key to eternal life, much in the same way as we are close to finding a way to make endless amounts of energy by cold fusion. We know that a few animals can -theoretically- live forever because their cells doesn't age (more specifically, their DNA isn't shortened during mitosis and as such can continue dividing endlessly). This does not mean that we have any idea whatsoever how to apply this to humans or even if it is possible at all.

Cheers.

2056037 he would be the god emperor of mankind

Oh, and by the way, this was a very nice chapter. It's nice to see the story moving more forward again after all those bloody filler chapters. Looking forward to next time.

Shinescale portrayed by Sir Christopher Lee? Me gusta.

2055393
I really, really doubt that. There's no way in hell the crew would miss little things like celestial bodies suddenly giving the finger to orbital mechanics. I suppose it's remotely possible their spells keep the Earth rotating and the moon orbiting, but you'd need some sort of effect that continually slows them down in turn. Plus, the amount of energy needed for something like that is simply ridiculous. Even spread out over an entire planet, the contribution per person should be enough to kill them instantly.

All we know at this point is that they pull in ginormous amounts of power every day and do... something with it. At least it goes away again, suggesting it's spent on something. Probably not raising the sun and moon though, regardless of what they believe.

2056357
This, pretty much. Compared to everything else on their world, they are pretty much gods. By the standards of the New Dawn's crew and the society they come from they're very powerful beings but not gods. Their powers are quantifiable and can be understood and analyzed, even if they've never seen it at that scale before.

I was read Shinescale as Sir Shawn Connery.

2055513, ah yes, Transhumanism at its finest and best.

2055393
2057342
The Earth's sun is 1.9891×10^30 kg. The orbital speed of the Earth is about 29800 m/s (107,000 km/hr) on average.
If we assume that their (the ponies, dragons, gryphons, etc.) system is geocentric and that their sun is the same size as our sun but revolves around their world at the same rate that we revolve our sun, the kinetic energy of their sun would be approximately 8.832×10^38 joules.

By comparison, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated was 57 megatons, or approximately 2.385×10^17 joules.

That means you would need about... 3.703x10^21 Tsar Bombas to equal the amount of power necessary to directly control the orbit of a star around a planet. That is a LOT of power.

Alternatively, the Sun itself produces only about 1.2×10^34 joules of energy per year. So you'd need the total annual energy production from about 73600 equal-sized stars to move the sun as described.

The moon would require much, much less energy in comparison, but it too would be an absurdly high amount (If someone wants to do that calculation themselves I would appreciate it). However, Nightmare Moon was shown to have stopped the sun's movement, so we can assume Luna would be just as powerful. Actually, both Celestia and Luna clearly have enough power to move both the sun and the moon simultaneously (Luna as Nightmare Moon, Celestia during the 1000 years of Luna's exile).
Discord was shown to move the sun and the moon around at such incredibly rapid speeds that his "power level" would be off-the-scale entirely.
Of course, it was also shown that a large group of unicorns working together can also move the sun and the moon, so...
Basically, either they don't actually move the sun and the moon around their planet, their sun and their moon aren't like our sun and moon, or unicorns and Alicorns are ridiculously powerful. Like, destroy-all-life-on-the-planet-with-a-thought powerful. Even if you needed, say, 7 billion unicorns working together to raise the sun and the moon (much, much more than was shown to be required), that is still an energy output of 1.2617×10^29 joules per unicorn (or about 5.29×10^11 Tsar Bombas).

Someone please check my math on all that, I did that really quickly and without a whole lot of thought about whether any of it was actually valid. A geocentric system may not require that the star orbit the planet at the same rate as a planet would orbit a star in order to produce the same day/night cycle. Also, I just used KE for my energy calculations, which probably isn't sufficient for a comparison like this. Finally, I used a lot of approximations in my calculations.
Basically, don't quote me on any of this.

2058756
I shall now present my totally, and awesomely thought-out rebuttal!
i1.ytimg.com/vi/DM-UnV9TEzY/1.jpg
Magic! *snort snort*
At least we all know now that each unicorn is a walking world destroyer.

2057342
And not Gods to the humans, no. They lack being brought up under them. But I'd be damned if the consensus amongst the general crew wouldn't be 'God-Like'. At the very least their abilities.
Luna reached out, unassisted, from the surface of the planet, and dragged their several kilometer ship, against it's overloaded engine power... while chatting to her sister. Even with all their tech, there's nothing on Earth that could do that according to one of the scientists.

Aright, since no-one else is going to say it...

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

The captain was almost uncomfortable, but decided against it

I think that line has single handedly endeared me to good old captain Morgan:twilightsmile:

2058756
Their system isn't geocentric, at least not in this story. It's outright stated that the system is identical to Earth's, including the relative positions of the stars. So "raising the sun" still amounts to spinning the planet around. Not that it helps much; the rotational energy of the Earth is 2.138×10^29 joules. Still leaves every unicorn a complete nuclear arsenal in itself. Of your three options, at least in this setting the second is simply not the case, and the third makes no sense. I'll take Door Number One, please.

2058948
Magic. :facehoof: Maybe in a different story. This one however clearly goes with a scientific theme, in that as great as their powers are, they are bound by rules and can be logically understood. Actually moving moons, planets and stars around is so far out there, it beggars belief.

It is also completely unnecessary. Gravity and the laws of motion clearly work the same here as in our universe, or they'd have noticed from their own orbit. Which means the sun and moon require no manual intervention of any kind, they'll keep on spinning along just fine, alicorns or no alicorns.

And not Gods to the humans, no. They lack being brought up under them. But I'd be damned if the consensus amongst the general crew wouldn't be 'God-Like'. At the very least their abilities.

Luna reached out, unassisted, from the surface of the planet, and dragged their several kilometer ship, against it's overloaded engine power... while chatting to her sister. Even with all their tech, there's nothing on Earth that could do that according to one of the scientists.

Sure. But she's still sitting in the brig, completely powerless to do anything about it or lift so much as a feather with her magic unless they let her. Even her "moon raising" is at their sufferance; they could knock her out any time with one of those sonic grenades. Not to mention they took her pretty much apart and put her back together after she was first captured. God-like she may be, but these gods can bleed.

And die. They may believe themselves immortal if Celestia's speech to the ambassadors about falling from orbit is anything to go by, but lack of aging combined with a healing factor does not an immortal make. Their regeneration clearly has limits, since the dampeners can cut Luna's access to it. For all their power, they are still mortal. That's the point I'd like to see driven home to them.

2059140
Right, I forgot that they described how the system was set up as well as the apparent effect of Celestia's "raising of the sun" on their system's star (that is, none).

So... What is really happening? How did Nightmare Moon stop the sun from coming up? How did Discord throw the sun and the moon around like toys?
My hypothesis: Planet-wide illusions. They aren't affecting the sun, moon, and stars directly, just the light that comes from them.

However... Luna was shown to have both knowledge of and significant influence over objects in space. She knew exactly where she was after she had been taken captive, and she was able to grab the human ship and pull it through the wormhole in the first place.

I still say that my illusion theory fits the show itself (or alternatively they have a really small, really close sun and moon), but it does not explain several key details and events of this story.

With any luck, we'll find out in due time.

2059140
The magic thing was meant as a joke rebuttal to a well thought out piece.

1) Work on your capitalization. Half the time with your dialogue, the first word in the sentence isn't capitalized. For example,

Celestia was deep in thought, weighing in with a distant "a plethora of possibilities...."

2) A stylistic choice, but the way you lead the prose into the dialogue is often rather awkward.

3) The word "equinauts" makes no sense. The would still be "astronauts". Just because they are a different species doesn't mean they get a made up term. "-Naut" means sailor in Latin. So "astronaut" means, literally, "star-sailor" or "sailor of stars". To put in the "equi-" would say "pony-sailor" or "sailor of ponies". And unless the spaceship shrinks to bacterial size and goes inside a pony...

4) Will a human eventually tell the zebra to just shut up at some point? I would love that.
"You're just waiting to-"
"Oh, shut the fuck up already."

5) Just because the above are complaints, doesn't mean I didn't like the chapter.

2059322
Whoops, sorry. It can be a bit hard to be sure, plenty of stories/writers/readers take the "it's magic, don't gotta explain shit" approach. Which is fine, it's a show about magical talking ponies after all. But sometimes you get people applying that logic to a story which does have a more scientific theme to it, and I mistook you for one. My bad.

2061650
Well, while it was intended as a joke rebuttal, I do think that you might be taking the whole thing a little too seriously.

I'll be happy with whatever the author does. And I feel wanting him to hold to the laws of reality while being in a universe that involves an undefined crystalline structure that somehow gives physic power, is a little bit much in my opinion.

So long as it fits within the realm of reasonable suspension of disbelief, I'm quite happy. And my current thoughts that the moon and earth are powered by the magic of all the living creatures on the planet fits quite well into that area.

2061809
Actually, the crystal is one reason I think the author is trying to hold to the laws of reality as much as possible. Why? Because it changes magic from some mystical force that comes from nowhere and can do everything into something that's grounded in physics and bound by its rules and limitations. Yes, it's undefined how it works exactly, but the fact that it's there at all is what's matters.

It not about what I want to see, I'm speculating based on the sort of universe I think he's building. And this physically based magic generating enough energy to glass the planet a million times over seems out of place.

Tau

2056827
Well, this isn't completly true.
We know that cancer cells don't age and we know how to create them in an organism.
You would be surprised how close we are to immortality in form of agelessness compared to 'endless amounts of energy'.
Of course we probably aren't even close to immortality right now, even when leaving out all the problems this technology might have, but scientific breaktroughts like that have already occured multiple times in the past.

2062476 Ah, I suppose that's right. I really should inform myself a bit better before trying to educate people. :twilightoops: Cold fusion was a pretty shoddy thing to compare agelessness with anyway, considering general consensus is that it isn't even possible, while biological immortality most definitely is.

to her fuchsia friend's

"Lavender"
I'm not gay, but even I know fuchsia is dark pink.

Meh. I guess this is just not to my tastes. Still, I read all of it, so no one can say I didn't give it a chance.

2149020
Cool guy, thanks for reading :raritywink:

:moustache:

Login or register to comment