• Published 18th Jan 2018
  • 5,415 Views, 108 Comments

Man in a Diamond Dogs World - monkey king



Deep underground there lives the mighty queen of the Diamond Dogs Fenriss and her people. Fenriss has always longed for a pup of her own and by some luck is given one, but it's not a diamond dog

  • ...
6
 108
 5,415

Chapter 10: Off to School

How could this day come so fast was all that Fenriss could think about as she paced in front of her palace. For the time had finally come to see her darling son off the ponies friendship academy. Now she knew that this was the best thing for Kiba, not to mention for her kingdom’s relationship with Equestria, but part of her just wished it wasn’t so.

With a sigh the monarch stopped her pacing, turning to look at the castle's main entrance. Any minute her little pup would be running out to start this whole new adventure. Honestly, she was only still even the tiniest bit okay with this because of the four other pups she was sending with him.

Since their return from Canterlot, she had been pouring over different potential youths, both Purebred and Mutt, to send as representatives with her son. It took a couple of days to decide on the candidates.

The two of the four she chose was a pair of twin German shepherd and Lab Mutts named Hati and Skoll. Like most Mutts, their physical stature is large and very muscular. However, they are taller than most pups their age, already being as tall as many fully grown Diamond Dogs despite being the same age as Kiba. As an effect of their size, they have already been allowed to take part in mining and expansion of the tunnels.

However, due to the twin's youth, the tunnels that they made have been, unconventional to put it gently. Often the passages would be uneven as well as bend and curve randomly. For this reason, Fenriss believed that they could use this school as a chance to learn discipline.

However, by sending Hati and Skull she would show the strength of the next generation of Diamond Dogs. Hopefully, this would make the other species think twice before deciding to go against her kingdom. It is the job of the ruler to take needed action to prevent future hardships from befalling her subjects, at least that was her logic.

As for the Purebreds, that choice was a lot more difficult. Upon announcing her plan to send the children to Equestria’s school of friendship the monarch was flooded with the majority of her Purebred nobles sending over applications for their children.

While Fenriss would have loved to believe that they did this as a show of support for her attempts at strengthening their relationships with the other nations, she knew better. It was clear to her that a fair few of these nobles had less than admirable intentions. Some saw this as an opportunity to either ingratiate themselves to the crown for their gain or just sabotage her endeavors by offering their less-than-pleasant pups. Though this was not born out of a sense of malice for the crown, but for the other species.

The Purebred's wealth and mental power, especially compared to the Mutts, meant that they often tasked themselves with preserving Diamond Dog's history and culture. This is where their displeasure with Fenriss’s plan lay.

Throughout history, the other species have enslaved Diamond Dogs from time to time to do their bidding. Dragons would use them to endlessly dig up areas for their gems and treasures. If they would fail to meet the greedy beast’s demands then they would be slaughtered. However, the most notorious example of this can be seen by the ponies of the Crystal Empire.

Generations ago, after the Diamond Dogs learned of their alchemic abilities, the ponies of the budding Crystal Empire would hunt down pack after pack, placing them in chains. Before their enslavement, the ponies of the Empire lived in crowded houses and were constantly at the mercy of weather and Umbrum. However, when they heard of the strength of the Diamond Dog’s alchemic abilities to create nigh unbreakable crystal structures with their alchemy they desired to “enlist” their aid.

For years the Diamond Dogs built up what would later be known as the Crystal Empire from the ground with their own two paws. Though the straw that broke the camel's back and forced them to break off their yokes was the creation of the Crystal Heart.

According to Pony history, the heart was created by the first Emperor, Jade Long, of the Crystal Empire to fight back the Umbrum. Though this is only half of the truth. While the magic that courses the Heart is that of the first Emperor the crystal itself was made by the Diamond Dogs. The artifact’s physical form was made of a magically attuned mineral known as Oricalcum, a notorious gem for Alchemists to form. It took the combined efforts of fifteen of the strongest Diamond Dog Alchemists to create the physical shell of the Heart. However, due to the strain of the creation of the weapon, all fifteen slaves meet their ends.

The death of these fifteen Alchemists leads the first King of the Diamond Dogs, Fenriss’s distant ancestor, Fenrir to lead his fellow slaves into rebellion. This event became known as the Diamond Rebellion by the Crystal Empire. From there the now-freed slaves traveled to their current home, and as they say, the rest is history.

With all this in mind, it makes sense that some of the more mistrusting Purebred members of her kingdom would want to send their children to purposely interact with the ponies. Though, that does not mean there weren’t at least some that would be willing to interact with the ponies.

There were a couple of Purebred houses that actively sought to better the bond between the two species. However, at the moment there is only one of these houses that has a child old enough to go, and that would be the Labrador house of Graymoon.

The current heads of the Greymoon family are Lady Lupa and Sir Romulus and are known as one of the best alchemist houses. This fame is due to many members of the Graymoon having a vast love for expanding their knowledge. This familial trait seems to be especially apparent in the family’s heiress Lupinia.

Unlike the majority of other Purebred heirs and heiresses, Lupinia was on the more kind and thoughtful side. Never really thinking of what she could gain out of a situation, but what she could give. This alone made her the most desirable candidate to take part in this program. However, there was one other aspect of her character that made her a good pick, and that was her admiration for the pony Princess of the Moon Luna.

Now some would assume that having an heiress of one of the most powerful Purebred families admiring a foreign monarch would be problematic. Though that is not the case here. There are many Diamond Dogs who think highly of the Monarch of the Moon, some attributing to their canine nature while others attributed to an old myth held by the pack.

The legend goes that after freeing themselves from the chains of the Crystal Empire the light of the moon is what guided them to their current home. Since then many have seen the celestial orb as a sort of guardian spirit, and Luna by proxy.

Honestly, out of all her picks, Lupinia is the one that she is the least worried about.

Now onto the one pick that she was most scared about, the daughter of the Doberman Purebred house of Eitel Brunhild. Coming from one of the more militarily renowned houses of the pack led the pup to take on a notion of superiority to her peers. More often than not, if the girl wanted would become violent and attack others for just the sake of wanting to fight and show her strength.

Fenriss did not want to send her, but there were a couple of advantages to picking her, The first is the fact that Brunhild seemed to inherit the powerful loyalty that came from members of the Eitel house. In that regard, she would work as an exceptional bodyguard for her Kiba. The other reason for her choosing is the hope that the ponies would teach her some form of temperance.

Suddenly the castle's main entrance started to open to reveal all her picks walking out.

First to walk out were the twins Hati and Skoll. At first glance, it was hard for her to discern which was which, but she was able to figure it out after getting a better look at their fur colors. Hati’s fur was black and tan, with the majority being black with patches of tan. While Skoll was black and cream, also the majority were black and had very similar patches but just cream instead of tan. Aside from the fur difference, the only other distinctive factor is the fact that Hati wears a red leather vest, while Skoll wears a pair of metal bracelets and a chain necklace.

The next to come out was Lupinia, a taller-than-average yellow Lab with a relatively slender build, especially for Diamond Dog standards. She was wearing a nice blue robe with gold trim and the emblem of the Graymoon house on the back. Specifically, the emblem was of a gray moon inside of a corked flask. Also plastered on her face was a pair of silver glasses with a small sapphire at the center of the bridge. As a whole, she seemed to embody the noble status that the Purebreds coveted so dearly.

Fourth out of the castle was the short, black and brown, Doberman Brunhild. Honestly, Fenriss was surprised when she first was how short the girl was. To put it in perspective Kiba was considered the shortest pup in the pack, and Brunhild was only a tiny bit taller than him. The monarch wondered if this source of her drive to fight. As if she wants to show her size does not mean she is weak. Her attire was a pair of iron shoulder guards with the crest Eitel house, which is a pair of bloody sickle, a pair of sickles on her side.

The four stopped in front of Fenriss and took a knee in front of her while saying, “Majesty!” This just earned a chuckle from the monarch who motioned for them to stand up, which they quickly did.

“Welcome young pups, and thank you for taking part in this endeavor of mine, “ Fenriss said with a smile. She looked around before saying, “Now we are almost ready to depart, just waiting on one more. Where is my little gem Kiba?”

Just as she said that Kiba quickly ran out, followed by a slightly panicked Lassie, of the castle and to his mother. Once at her side Fenriss noticed he was wearing his black overcoat with what looked like common, a pair of jeans, and a gray shirt. She didn’t care that he chose not to wear all the royal garb, for she knew he did not want to flaunt his statues.

Kiba quickly hugged Fenriss while he said, “Morning Mama, are things all ready for us to go?”

“Yes they are now that you are here my Gem, your new companions just got here as well,” Fenriss said as she motioned towards the four candidates. Kiba looked at the four and waved at them with a smile, which he got back from Hati, Skoll, and Lupinia. Brunhild on the other hand gave a bow of respect for his status.

Lassie walked up to the other side of Fenriss and whispered in her ear, “I am sorry your majesty, but Kiba just wouldn’t get up on time.”

Fenriss turned to Lassie and said, “Thank you Lassie, and I am sure he was just so excited for today that he had trouble falling asleep last night.” With a smile she turned her attention back to the pups and clapped her paws together, getting everyone's attention back on her. “Alright, now that everyone is here I think it's time that we head on our way,” she said before snapping her claws. Suddenly two carriages pulled up, each being pulled by a pair of large Mutts in armor.

One Mutt each moved and opened the carriage doors open for the riders to get inside. Fenriss walked towards the vehicles and said, “If everyone would please step embark then we shall be on our way.” Without another word being said the chosen pups got into the second carriage, while the royal family and Lassie got in the first.

Once inside Fenriss snapped her claws again, causing the Mutts to start pulling the carriages towards the tunnels that lead to the exit of the kingdom. As they made their way the queen couldn’t help but wonder how this day could have come so fast.

Author's Note:

Hello again people of the internet, long time no see! Sorry, it took me so long to update this fic, but hey here it is now. Sorry if this is a bit too lore-heavy, but meh. Thanks to Fluttershyfan3030 for Lupinia. Hope you all enjoy and have a wonderful day.

Comments ( 1 )

Great chapter. Love it. Waiting for the next ones ))

Login or register to comment