• Published 15th Apr 2017
  • 7,513 Views, 99 Comments

The Sun and the Shy - Knight Light



When Sunset finds another student from from school beaten and hiding in an alley, she does the only thing she can, she takes the girl home with her. Can one wounded soul heal another and save Sunset from the hate deep inside?

  • ...
9
 99
 7,513

Wednesday

Sunset awoke to the smell of bacon frying making her mouth water. While she was loathe to admit it, she had come to love bacon. It was something she’d never admit to any pony back in Equestria, but her body needed meat to function properly and since the pigs were not sentient she slowly came to accept that. Too bad somebody didn’t tell her about vegetarians and the vitamins she could take to replace the nutrients needed from meat sooner, but she had gotten hooked on more than one type of food that was made with meat making it way too late. Besides, with all of the leather she possessed, she would be a total hypocrite if she didn’t eat the stuff claiming it wasn’t right. Groggily getting out of bed, cursing at the tempting smell of sizzling pork, Sunset found Fluttershy busy cooking up a storm.

“Morning sleepyhead.” Fluttershy chirped out in a cheery mooed as she seemed to float back forth between pans.

“Morning Shy.” Sunset said, unsure of what to do. Was Fluttershy still mad? Was she still hurt after learning about everything?

“We need to have a long talk before we get ready for school, Sunny, so I thought we could do it over breakfast. Can you grab us some juice out of the fridge? I’ll bring the food in a minute.” Fluttershy said as she started dumping the contents of the different pans on two plates.

“Yeah, sure thing.” Sunset said, giving a nervous smile while cursing herself for being so weak willed as to worry about what someone else thought. Grabbing two glasses and filling them full of orange juice, she went to the couch and sat them on the coffee table where she found the rabbit eating on the floor nearby eating something from his dish. Fluttershy joined her right after with plates loaded with scrambled eggs, fried potatoes with onion topped with cheese, toast and bacon.

“Damn, you went all out.” Sunset said, her eyes glued on her plate.

“I kind of thought we could use some comfort food after last night.” Fluttershy said, as she handed Sunset her silverware and napkins.

“So you really aren’t mad at me?” Sunset asked softly.

“Sunset, what you did last night was very brave of you. You risked driving me away completely by giving me that stuff to read. For that, I love and respect you more.” Fluttershy said, “It doesn’t mean I’m not a little mad at you for it. I think deep down you truly regret what you did, what you do at school. I think you know that it is wrong to bully others, but you were hurt and lashing out.”

“Shy, I have to have that control. The school is my empire.” Sunset said, though she couldn’t help feeling how stupid it sounded out loud.

“Sunset, do you care for me? I’m not asking if you love me or are attracted to me. I’m asking do you care for me, even a little?” Fluttershy asked as she ate, clearly enjoying the food and company though she was being transparent about having something heavy weighing on her mind.

“If you asked me this last week at this time, I would have said a big, fat no. Now, I can’t even imagine what it would be like without you in my life. So yeah, I care for you.” Sunset admitted, tired of trying to convince both Fluttershy and herself that she didn’t really need anyone. “I don’t want to lose you as a friend.”

“And you won’t, but if you care for me will you please do something for me?” Fluttershy asked, letting her hair fall in front of her face as if she was trying to hide behind it.

“If there is anything at all I can do for you and it is within my power to do it, I will. I want to see you happy, Shy.” Sunset said in all honesty.

“I want you to not bully anyone today.” Fluttershy said, almost too quiet to hear her making Sunset wonder what happened to the more confident girl she knew Fluttershy could be. “I’m not asking you to go out and start helping everyone you come across. You don’t even have to get friendly with anyone. I’m just asking you not to go out of your way and bully anyone.”

“Shy, I’d do anything for you, but I’m not sure that I’m capable of that. You don’t understand, all I feel for that place is resentment and hatred. I find it hard even feeling anything else at times. Being around you this week is the first time since…since awhile that I felt good.” Sunset said, refusing to admit that she could feel the tears building up.

“Well, I want to make you always feel good, and I think this may be a good step towards doing that.” Fluttershy said, reaching out to take Sunset’s hand as she finished her plate. “I want you to see how different it can feel to not have the weight of feeling as if you have to act out and hurt others.”

“What if I can’t do it?” Sunset asked, wondering what was on Fluttershy’s mind as she took a deep breath while obviously trying to figure out something.

“Please, just try. Give it a few days at least and if the anger and hate for the school doesn’t go away I want you to consider an alternative.” Fluttershy said, her voice a little sad though she seemed to steel herself up. “If the school keeps poisoning you with these toxic emotions, I want you to take your dad’s offer. I’ll go with you to Crystal Prep.”

“Fluttershy, I can’t do that to you!” Sunset gasped as she pulled away and stood up, starting to pace before turning to face Fluttershy who only looked on with love and worry. “You told me you loved CHS, that it was your home.”

“Sunset, I was wrong. My home is here with you and where you go. If you need to transfer to get away from this pain and anger, then I want you to. And I will be there every step of the way.” Fluttershy said as she got up and hugged Sunset. “Maybe it would even be best, a fresh start for us both.”

Sunset wasn’t sure what to think, she could feel a knot growing in her stomach realizing that she caused these problems for Fluttershy. It wasn’t the girl’s responsibility, Fluttershy shouldn’t have to pick up and move off with Fluttershy from one school to another just to make Sunset feel better. Did Fluttershy really care for her that much too seriously offer to do that? Even if she did, she couldn’t do that to Fluttershy. If making Fluttershy happy meant that Sunset had to swallow some of her pride, then she would.

“You win, Shy. I won’t bully anyone today at least and see how things go.” Sunset said as Fluttershy pulled back to lock eyes with her. With a huge smile, Fluttershy leaned in and kissed Sunset while neither worried that they just ate a bunch of onions and probably had hellacious morning breath.

“Thank you.” Fluttershy smiled, pulling back with a grin seeing the bright red look on Sunset’s face. With a large grin, she left towards her room to get clothes to change into after a shower. Calling back over her shoulder, “Since I cooked, can you get the dishes?”

“Sure.” Sunset said in a daze, running her fingers over her lips as her mind was rebooting over the overload of feelings caused by the kiss and the feel of Fluttershy’s body pressing into hers. As she came back to reality, all she could mutter as she gathered up the dishes were, “Damn it! Damn it, damn it, damn it!”

She had to admit when they finally got home that the day had actually been much nicer than usual. Snips and Snails had been a little worried about her which made her pause in wondering if maybe she may have had more friends than she thought. At least until they opened their mouths proving them to be the idiot stooges they were only interested in being under Sunset’s good graces and protection.

As for everyone else, they gave her the wide berth they usually did fearing her retribution. For the first time Sunset noticed how lonely it was having people pretty much bow and scrape to her out of fear rather than respect or adoration. For the first time she was starting question just what she was doing being the bully in order to maintain her self proclaimed empress status. It even got to the point she almost found Fluttershy during breaks, but she didn’t want the girl to become a target for those looking to strike out against Sunset.

“So, how did it feel not bulling anyone?” Fluttershy asked as they cuddled on the couch together just relaxing. It had been a long school day for both, feeling worry for each other as the seconds ticked by on the clock.

“Better than I thought it would, and worse to.” Sunset sighed, hurry to explain herself at seeing the confused expression on Fluttershy’s face. “I feel as if some of the usual slump had lifted at first, then I started realizing that without acting out I was alone. I never realized just how lonely it could get.”

“Well, what about Snips and Snails?” Fluttershy asked, earning a grimace.

“They’re idiots that don’t care about me. Not that I blame them.” Sunset said, it being Fluttershy’s turn to grimace though a reluctant acceptance soon replaced it.

“What do you think about how it went today?” Fluttershy asked timidly, worried about Sunset’s answer.

“It made me realize that I can’t go on like this, Shy. I’m just not sure if I can stop either. All I can promise is that I will take it one day at a time.” Sunset said smiling, surprised by the sudden kiss from Fluttershy.

“That is all anyone can ask of you.” Fluttershy said softly.

Sunset couldn’t deny she was liking these kisses, yet she still couldn’t bring herself to say she could care for Fluttershy the way the girl truly seemed to want. She promised herself as she thought about everything that after Fluttershy stayed with her even after revealing the pain she caused, Sunset decided the least she could do was try.

“Shy, I have a question I want to ask.” Sunset said earning Fluttershy’s full attention. “Will you go out with me?”

“Are you serious?” Fluttershy asked in excitement, squealing happily as she hugged Sunset tightly and kissed her again after getting a nod in confirmation. Sunset herself couldn’t help having a simple phrase repeat in her head feeling the girl pressing into her as their lips met. Damn it! Damn it, damn it, damn it!

Author's Note:

I fully intended to take this arc past their first date, but after talking it over we decided this was the best place to end the first arc. Sunset's attitude over the next couple chapters will need to be a bit different depending on the route for arc 2. The CHS arc she needs to be a bit more closed off at first while the Crystal Prep arc will require her to be more open about things. The CHS arc won't be anywhere near as long as the Crystal Prep arc though.

Comments ( 21 )

I'm really rooting for them both , sunset in becoming a good person and fluttershy in helping sunny through this... need moar.....yes please keep up the good work

Can't wait to read the next arc! Please, post it soon and my best wishes for you. :twilightsmile:

Why is the world hyping everything for me right now? :pinkiecrazy:

I knew it. :yay:
She broke before Friday :pinkiehappy:
SunShy for the win :heart:

So... Should I track this story or your channel for arc 2?

good first arc thoe i have to ask will sunset and fluttershy become friends with the other rainbooms

Lol sunsest saying damn it over and over reminds me of shakugan no shana

8111692 Thanks, I'll be keeping up the pace for awhile though we are talking about what to do next, both arcs at once, chs alone then crystal prep, or crystal prep alone then chs. Either way they will be posted as separate stories. The Crystal Prep one will have something about Shadows in the title and CHS will have something about Canterlot.

8111701 Thank you so much, and I will have the next chapter, well the first chapter of the next arc posted tonight.

8111836 Thanks, I kind of don't like the whole reason Sunset left to begin with really. I kind of think there is much more to it that we are shown in the comics or told about, or at least I like to think there is. Glad you are enjoying it, and D is supposed to go back over the chapters for grammar and spell checks sometime soon but happy to fix anything I or one of you catch, so thank you a lot it helps tons. I'll change those mistakes as soon as I finish answering comments. :pinkiehappy:

8112062 Hopefully in a good way lol :pinkiehappy:

8112139 Well, Sunset's mind was on how hot Fluttershy looked so it kind of wondered and ended up there like you said. If she wasn't thinking about how hot she thought Fluttershy was, then she probably wouldn't have even went there.

8112251 lol yes she did, and yep it is SunShy though it will be more SunShy orientEd in the Crystal Prep version of arc 2, the CHS version is still SunShy, just going to be harder for them.

8112371 I was originally going to have arc 2 as a part of this story, but it splits off in 2 directions now. in one, thinking it will be called Rising Shadows will be Crystal Prep and Canterlot Blues or something similar will be CHS.

8112486 Thanks, I have someone who is going to be overlooking the chapters later for grammar and spelling errors, but happy to fix when some one points them out. You are completely correct to, that does sound wrong as is. I'll change it right after answering the comments.

8112571 Thanks, yes they will in the CHS arc though it will go more like the movie.

8112572 I really want to see that anime lol, and you can actually blame D for it. She suggested I keep It for Sunset's catchphrase for the first arc after she first saw it and thought it would be funny lol.

Huh, ended? That seems odd, it doesn't feel like an ending. I tend to think of stories as books, this feels more like the ending of a chapter/arc and less the ending of a book. Still, been a fun read and I like some of the things you've done, particularly the re-write of Sunset's back story (except for the Elements part) since the canon sucks quite frankly.

8115996 Actually, funny you should mention arcs, because this is all it was arc 1. As I mentioned, there are 2 versions of arc 2 which both actually have chapters out. If interested, you can check the links in this stories description. Really happy that you have enjoyed the story up until now. :pinkiehappy:

8112704
I actually never had a problem with why she left, she wanted more and went for it impulsively. One could argue she got what she wanted, but you know what they say, 'be careful what you want, you may just get it.' The bigger problem I see, is that while its hard to tell the age of a pony, Sunset doesn't appear to be that much older than Twilight, so how could Twilight not know her or at least know of her? Especially as they're both supposed to be Celestia's personal students. In fact the only problem I have with your design is that the elements didn't have a specific form until they found their bearers, Celestia and Luna were just users, so the gems had a fairly generic shape until the NIghtmare Moon incident according to canon. Still, it is but a minor quibble, especially considering what how much you fixed in her back story.

Well, ifn you need another set of eyes, I'm available, as you can see from my page I've done it for other people. I'm more of a proofreader than an editor (I speak only two languages, English and bad English), but I'm always happy to help, especially as it means getting to see the story first. :pinkiehappy: Barring that, you might want to throw it up on Google Docs for a quick pre-publish check as its spell checker includes a Grammerly like system to find wrong words and other basic (but common) mistakes.

8116677
Yeah, you mentioned it in your notes, and I was lucky enough to stumble across the next story. Problem was that when I first read Wednesday, the story wasn't complete, and it didn't really feel like an ending, so I wasn't expecting to have to look for another book.

8112704 And it is within that spirit that that I reread this story to check on a continuity error I thought I noticed in the last chapter. Specifically I found out that it is a continuity gap between Sunday and Wednesday. Here is where it started.

“Please, just try. Give it a few days at least and if the anger and hate for the school doesn’t go away I want you to consider an alternative.” Fluttershy said, her voice a little sad though she seemed to steel herself up. “If the school keeps poisoning you with these toxic emotions, I want you to take your dad’s offer. I’ll go with you to Crystal Prep.”
“Fluttershy, I can’t do that to you!” Sunset gasped as she pulled away and stood up, starting to pace before turning to face Fluttershy who only looked on with love and worry. “You told me you loved CHS, that it was your home.”
“Sunset, I was wrong. My home is here with you and where you go. If you need to transfer to get away from this pain and anger, then I want you to. And I will be there every step of the way.” Fluttershy said as she got up and hugged Sunset. “Maybe it would even be best, a fresh start for us both.”

I couldn't remember if they had this conversation so that is why I reread the story, which they don't. On Sunday, Sombra and Sunset talk about it here

“Sunset, I’m more than willing to pay for both of you to attend Crystal Prep if you change your mind. That woman isn’t your mother at Canterlot High, she isn’t your problem.” Sombra said, hoping that Sunset would accept. She couldn’t though, the portal would be opening in a few short months and she intended to get the element of magic since it should have been hers anyways. She would show that nag that she deserved it more than Twilight Freaking Sparkle.
“I know daddy, I’ll talk to Fluttershy and if she decides to, we will both transfer.” Sunset said earning a smile from Sombra.

It couldn't have been then since Chrysalis already took Fluttershy home to get her stuff, but couldn't be later that day because it is devoted to introducing Angle Bunny. Monday is devoted to Fluttershy's "proposition" that she felt pressured into, the fallout of that, Sunset giving her a van, and them talking by the pool. Lastly, Tuesday is devoted to Fluttershy going out to get gardening supplies and Sunset sharing the info her past and how she manipulated the Human 5.
So if I were you I would inject the conversation that they need to have about Crystal Prep on the same chapter it was introduced on Sunday after they get home. Another good spot would be to do it on Monday during or after the swimming pool scene.

So TL:DR you need to have a scene where Sunset talks to Fluttershy about going to Crystal Prep before this chapter.

8117004 I was kind of thinking about the Tree of Harmony and having Celestia know a lot more about it than in canon, but now that I really think about it I can't remember exactly if it had the cutie mark symbols or not. My whole head canon surrounding that pretty much relies on Celestia knowing about it and going all obsessive when she finds Twilight whose cutie mark matches it and the position of her element on it. So not only does she have an element bearer, but she has THE element bearer foretold by fate itself. I'm really thinking about doing a series of one-shots of my head canon history with certain points such as the the birth of the tree, the creation of the changelings, Sunset's running away and so forth.

Thanks, I've been weary of having others in the past because I've had two people stop even messaging me pretty much right after starting as well as several people I know flaking out on me. Though I'm more than willing to give it another shot if you really wouldn't mind doing a grammar/spell check after my initial ones. D is supposed to help with that some when she gets more time, but told me not to wait for that since she really doesn't know when she can. And sorry about that, hope you enjoy whichever path you choose. I have the second chapter of Rising Shadows almost done, and when I'll do I'll throw it up on docs and check it and send you a link if you want to go over it to. :pinkiehappy:

8117114 I was kind of glossing over that seen having them have had the conversation off screen so I wouldn't be rehashing the whole Sombra/Sunset conversation, but if you really think I should add it to make the sorry flow better I might after I finish chapter 2 of Rising Shadows. :scootangel:

8119219
PIlot episode ifn you want to re-watch it Since I watched it only a month or so again... Actually re-watched most of the episodes, I don't think the tree was mentioned until it got attacked by seeds. In the pilot when NMM shatters them, they're just generically shaped gems, and it they never outright said that the bearers were in Ponyville, though the fandom has come up with various versions typically leaning towards Celestia knowing the bearers were in Ponyville, but not who they were, hence sending Twilight. Speaking of Twilight, fanon says she was groomed in hopes that she could wield at least the Element of Magic if not all of them like Celestia herself did.
Honestly I like the canon for why Sunny ran away through the mirror, she wanted more, she wanted to be an alicorn princess, and saw that in the mirror. Landing in a different reality, she made the best of it, conquering what was available to her. Its really the details that bother me in canon, like how does she survive (your one of the few writers who've put forth her selling bit coins)? And as I mentioned, how did Twilight not know or at least know of her, being Celestia's student is a pretty high profile thing after all.

Gotta love some people's reliability. The only thing that can happen with me occasionally outside of an emergency, is me getting buried. I think I'm on call for like six authors here, and two at storiesonline.net, and its often feast or famine. I'd be happy to help and since I'm but a mere proofreader, turn around should be quick (24 to 36 hours) unless everyone wants me at the same time (and even then I can prioritize by the job size/turn around time requirement).

And sorry about that, hope you enjoy whichever path you choose.

Not sure what you mean by this

8119601 Thanks, I will try to watch it though it can be hard for me to. Especially lately because of reasons. I do tend to lean towards Celestia knowing, actually knowing a lot more that she lets on after seeing some of the stuff she actually did. Or at least how I remember it happening, though since I don't get to watch a lot, things tend to get jumbled up in my head with fandom at times.

Sunset still demands to be an alicorn, but she believes it is her birth right that Twilight had stolen from her. She feels Twilight has stolen her mother so when Celestia is going to send Sunset off, it's to stay with somebody else to see if they can't get through to Sunset. Sunset has more than enough time to prepare and packs bits and jewels she has which is where she comes up with them at in the real world. As for the portal, I made some kind of big changes to it. For one, it only works 7 hours a nights. 3 hours before and three hours after as well as the witching hour though I haven't come up with a actual name for the pony version. It also stays open for 7 nights and is a little more temperamental than the one in canon. Mostly the fact that coded in Starswirl's journals is a way to force it open for a few minutes for a pony with enough magic though it is a one way ticket until the portal opens regularly. I'm thinking of also making the normal opening happen every 7 years making it so Sunset poured her magic into it to use the one way ticket when she left being in the middle of the 7 year period and since the method is in code that nobody has really caught before now and Celestia was never told of it, she has no idea how to replicate it. Still, that part I'm working on.

Sunset did conquer her a little piece of her new world that she was able to after learning about how the world worked. She doesn't want to admit it, but Sombra helped her a lot getting back on her feet such as getting her papers and setting her up with someone to sell bits and gems to who wouldn't rip her off.

That's no problem, I understand when people get swamped and real life invades. Real life treats me like a chew toy more often than I like. I may not get the next chapter done though until late tonight seeing how I can't seem to get any real work done on it. Every time I write two lines I get interrupted. I had to stop 15 times just writing this comment or risk an argument about liking MLP. It's why I love meeting my friends away from here or chatting through a game K runs a server of, and not a headset when working on this with them from home. As soon as I finish it tonight I'll post it to docs for you. Just let me know if you end up not being able to do any of it at anytime.

8119601

Its really the details that bother me in canon, like how does she survive (your one of the few writers who've put forth her selling bit coins)?

Nearly everyone uses the bits idea. It is practically canon from a deleted scene in one of the movies that was cut for time I think. There's a few people who use a bullied people for money or sold homework assignments online for money. Some give her an apartment, others say she sleeps at the school, or my favorite, her living in an abandoned building. While comic canon has her living with Fluttershy's parents I believe.

Fluttershy shouldn’t have to pick up and move off with Fluttershy

Wait what? Pony Fluttershy is here too? Of course not, seriously, you need a proofreader to catch this stuff.

Well, I'll give this a shot based on the premise of taking things AU before the Equestria Girls movie alone. I don't see that many divergences of Sunset's character set then and one of them (Witch of the Everfree) is a personal favorite, though that diverges a little earlier.

8119601
I can believe Twilight didn't know about Sunset. Twilight lived in books, both before and after becoming Celestia's personal student, and Sunset doesn't strike me as the social butterfly type, either. By the time Twilight resurrected her social life from the dead, Sunset's disappearance was old news. Besides, it doesn't really seem that high-profile. After all, Twilight and her friends had defeated two separate direct threats to Equestria before season 2 episode 3, and they were still complete no-names to the Canterlot nobles afterwards (even after destroying the Gala. They weren't even infamous for that. No one in Canterlot recognized them). Sunset hadn't done anything but study trying to force an ascension to alicornhood using dark magic. If she started demonstrating that type of entitled arrogance before Twilight became Celestia's student, Celestia may very well have kept them separate on purpose out of fear that Sunset might spread that attitude to Twilight, which would make both of them unusable in her ultimate plan to save her sister.

When Sunset finds another student from from school beaten and hiding in an alley, she does the only thing she can, she takes the girl home with her.
When Sunset finds another student from from school beaten and hiding in an alley
student from from school
from from

10951827
she is a vegitrain

Login or register to comment