• Published 15th Apr 2017
  • 7,513 Views, 99 Comments

The Sun and the Shy - Knight Light



When Sunset finds another student from from school beaten and hiding in an alley, she does the only thing she can, she takes the girl home with her. Can one wounded soul heal another and save Sunset from the hate deep inside?

  • ...
9
 99
 7,513

Sunday

“Sunset, I can’t let you keep buying this stuff for me.” Fluttershy whined as she followed Sunset through the same mall they had been at the day before. Sunset was a little annoyed at having to make the trip a second time in two days, and Fluttershy’s protests were starting to get on her nerves.

“Shy, you need a phone. If you told me you didn’t have one earlier, I would have picked it up yesterday.” Sunset sighed as she headed to her favorite shop to get a second line added to her account and a new handset for Fluttershy. “I need to be able to contact you in an emergency, or you if you need to contact me.”

“Sunset, I…” Fluttershy started, wincing when Sunset cut her off in a more stern voice.

“There will be no ifs, ands or buts. You are getting a phone than that is final.” Sunset huffed, stopping to look Fluttershy in the eyes trying not to listen to her inner voice asking, What about Fluttershy’s Butt?

“I don’t want to seem greedy or make it seem like I’m taking advantage of your kindness.” Fluttershy sighed making Sunset snort in amusement. Kindness? That was Fluttershy’s gig, not hers.

“You aren’t greedy. Look at it this way; you are staying under my roof so I need a way to keep track of you if something comes up. This is more for me than for you, so just go with it, okay?”

“I guess.” Fluttershy conceded, making Sunset smirk.

“Good, now come on, I want to get this done before lunch so we can enjoy the afternoon.” Sunset said, noticing a man looking at the two of them while trying to seem inconspicuous. The woman with him made her relax since she worked for Sunset’s somewhat father. Probably just checking up on her because of all the spending the day before to make sure something didn’t seem wrong.

Shoving the thoughts away, she led Fluttershy into the store where they spent the next half hour looking through phones. At first Fluttershy insisted on getting the cheapest one, but Sunset finally got that out of her head to pick one of the best quality ones there as well as a case, some accessories and a large gift card so she could get some stuff from the phone’s digital store. Of course it wasn’t the most expensive phone which helped settle Fluttershy’s worries a little, but Sunset herself wouldn’t have the most expensive one. The whole company sold over priced, substandard electronics that was only popular because of the name backing them.

Instead of eating in the food court, they decided to stop at the grocery store and pick up some groceries and cook at home. It would be their first fully home cooked meal together. Something that Sunset hated to admit she was looking forward to, a nice meal at home which she had been having less and less of lately. Now with her new roommate staying with her she had more of a reason to take the time and prepare a meal.

As the two left the mall and was walking through the parking lot, the man Sunset had spotted earlier stepped out from between several cars blocking their path. He worse a dark suit that seemed just a bit too big on him and was kind of messy looking. The short dark hair and nasty grin sent a shiver down Sunset’s back as she realized he was pulling a gun. Surely he wasn’t stupid enough to pull anything out in public like this.

“Your dad is looking for you Fluttershy, and your little girlfriend will be coming along.” The man said making Sunset actually start to worry as a van pulled up behind them, its side door to their backs sliding open as the man motioned for the two girls to get in.

“Please, I’ll go, but let Sunset leave.” Fluttershy cried, shocking Sunset a little. Was Fluttershy really sticking her neck out to try and keep Sunset out of trouble? She wasn’t sure, but she couldn’t help feeling touched by the gesture.

“No can do girl, just got off the phone with your dad. He wants to have a word with your little slut friend too. He’s waiting for us in Sombra’s office.” The man sneered.

Sunset took Fluttershy’s hand and squeezed it as they settled in the back seat as the door closed behind them. The driver looked like a clone of the guy they ran into in the parking lot who was now climbing into the passenger’s seat. The sneer they were giving the two through the mirror made Sunset puff up protectively while Fluttershy was shaking and mumbling out apology after apology.

“It will be okay, Shy, just watch and see.” Sunset said confidently as the van sped off only to pull into a large office building minutes later. Sunset and Fluttershy was ushered quickly through the lobby and up the elevator to one of the highest offices where the two men shoved Sunset and Fluttershy roughly through the doors.

“Look who we found Zeph, a couple of little rug munchers.” One of the, what Sunset could only assume, twins chuckled earning a grin from a lanky man with a pale blue suit and long, pink hair. The site almost made Sunset snort in amusement if he was who she thought he was. Honestly for a guy who seemed to be a huge homophobe, he sure looked as if he was batting for the other team.

“Thank you for calling me, Chrysalis.” The man sitting behind the desk said with a nod to the woman standing next to him before rising to walk around the desk to stand just steps away from Sunset with a serious look on his face before smiling at her. “So, do you have anything you want to say?”

“Hi, Daddy!” Sunset exclaimed wrapping her arms around him in a hug getting several gasps from the occupants from the room and the dark skinned woman only grinned evilly at the twins and the man that was called Zeph.

“Hello pumpkin.” Sombra said, pulling away from Sunset and fixing his immaculate suit before moving to stand in front of Fluttershy tilting her head with a forefinger under her chin so she was looking straight up at him. It was clear he was studying the concealer Fluttershy used to try and hide her black eye. “So tell me girl, who is responsible for this? Was it your father?”

“What the hell is the meaning of this?” Zeph demanded as Sombra stepped away from Fluttershy and stopped in front of him. Sombra was a large, muscular man with an air of intimidation and he easily towered over Zeph’s lanky form.

“Tell me Zeph, what is my number one rule?” Sombra asked, glaring at the man who was now sweating bullets as he tried to form an answer.

“No selling drugs, sir.” Zeph finally managed to say.

“Wrong!” Sombra said backhanding Zeph so hard he went flying before landing in a crumpled heap on the floor. The tooth that flew even farther left a small trail of blood in its wake. Sunset took Fluttershy’s hand again squeezing in what she hoped was comforting to the obviously frightened girl. This wasn’t how Sunset really wanted to do this; she wanted to keep Fluttershy out of dealing with this trash. Sometimes plans just don’t work out though.

“Now that he had coming.” Chrysalis said earning a quick nod of agreement from Sunset.

“My number one rule is no harm is ever to come to children. You see, I was already pissed off with you because of all of your hate speech about those like my daughter over there. She likes girls, and you know what, I couldn’t be prouder. She may not be my flesh and blood, but I am still her father and I will do anything to protect her and anyone close to her. And even if this young woman wasn’t close to my daughter, this would still be happening because there are two types of people that I truly hate. Drug dealers and child abusers.” Sombra snarled grabbing a handful of Zeph’s hair as he kneeled down next to him to force the man to look him in the face. “If I ever hear that you even looked at my daughter or her friends again, if you ever get within a hundred yards of them, I will kill you myself. Do you understand me?”

“Yes sir.” Zeph choked out before Sombra pushed his head away while standing up.

“You two idiots get this garbage out of my office and the next time I see you, you better have read those materials I gave you. If Chrysalis didn’t rein you in and called me, there wouldn’t be a place on this world that you would have been able use to escape my wrath.

“Yes sir, sorry sir!” The two men barked, staring at Sombra and Sunset in a weird sort of combination of relief and horror as they dragged Zeph out of the room.

“Chrysalis, make sure that the young woman here is able to collect her things and safely escort her to Sunset’s penthouse. If that idiot shows up and tried to stir up trouble, shot his kneecap. If that doesn’t shut him up then shot the other.” Sombra ordered the woman who smiled at him, kissed his cheek and moved to be in front of the pair of girls. “Sunset, I would like to have a talk with you.”

“Come on dear, I won’t bite. Well, unless you ask me to.” Chrysalis said offering her hand to Fluttershy who looked on the verge of freaking out.

“It’s okay, I trust her with my life and she will take good care of you. There’s no one I would trust looking out for you more than I would her.” Sunset whispered to Fluttershy, “Besides, you have your new phone so you can call me if you need anything.”

Sunset almost gave in and protested being separated after Fluttershy gave her a scared, pleading look before steeling herself. “Will you be okay?”

“Shy, Sombra would never hurt me. In case you haven’t realized it, he’s kind of my dad. I’ll explain tonight.” Sunset said, hugging the girl who seemed to take some comfort from the action. She watched as Fluttershy followed Chrysalis from the room, giving one last look to Sunset before leaving.

“So, how have things been going with you and that school?” Sombra asked, in a tone letting Sunset know just how much he hated it. Unlike Sunset, he only hated it because of one person and wouldn’t take his pain and anger out on others because of it. He didn’t like the fact that Sunset bullied the students, but he both understood and accepted it, though he always tried to get her to stop and transfer to Crystal Prep and get over her hatred.

“Fine I guess.” Sunset sighed as Sombra gently guided Sunset to a chair before his desk with a hand on her back. After she was seated, he went around the desk to take his chair. Sunset couldn’t help noticing the picture on the edge that had a six year old her riding a tricycle. Only that wasn’t her, it was Sombra’s real daughter before she was killed setting Sombra on the path he was on now.

The funny thing was, from the stories Chrysalis had told her, this man was once the gentlest man you would ever meet. His wife at the time though was going up against the local mob boss’s wife for the position of principal. Despite the threats his wife refused to back down, even after a threat of something happening to their daughter. Sombra had tried time and again to get his wife to just let it go before something happened, yet she refused claiming that it was just intimidation tactics and refused to back down. It had cost the couple their only daughter as the child was shot numerous times in a drive by shooting as she played on the street. Sombra blamed his wife, blamed Celestia for everything and went on a rampage with his sister in law Chrysalis and best friend Discord and killed Tirek and his wife and direct underlings before taking his place ruling over the syndicate. The big difference was that he did so much actual good for the city despite what others may think. Sure he has killed, but to Sunset, those people had it coming as he only killed the ones who truly deserved it and had zero chance of redeeming themselves.

“Somehow I doubt that it is just fine.” Sombra chuckled, “Unless I remember wrong, Miss Fluttershy is one of those, what were they again, element bearers that you wanted to keep apart.”

“What was I supposed to do, leave her to that bastard?” Sunset asked, feeling a little confused at the smirk Sombra was giving her.

“I know you aren’t my Sunset, but you are in so many ways. I meant what I said, I’m proud of you. And I’ll always be here if you need me.” Sombra said, the sadness that he only showed Discord, Chrysalis and Sunset herself showing through. There was a love and proud look shining in those eyes too, a look that Sunset wasn’t sure she deserved or wanted at times. She prided herself on doing everything for herself since arriving in this world except a few things she just couldn’t do on her own. Yet she knew if it wasn’t for this man, she would probably be dead, and she was thankful to him for it. She even loved him like a father despite the questions it rose about who her real father was. King Sombra was sealed away for centuries before Sunset’s birth, yet looking at the picture on the desk, the two looked the same.

“I know Daddy.” Sunset said, making sure to use the term Daddy. It was what the young Sunset called Sombra, and despite knowing they were two different girls, he always lit up when she called him that. And despite how much she liked to deny it, it gave her a warm feeling to. It felt as if she really had a parent that loved and wanted her unlike her own mother. “Thank you, you have no idea what that means to me.”

“Sunset, I’m more than willing to pay for both of you to attend Crystal Prep if you change your mind. That woman isn’t your mother at Canterlot High, she isn’t your problem.” Sombra said, hoping that Sunset would accept. She couldn’t though, the portal would be opening in a few short months and she intended to get the element of magic since it should have been hers anyways. She would show that nag that she deserved it more than Twilight Freaking Sparkle.

“I know daddy, I’ll talk to Fluttershy and if she decides to, we will both transfer.” Sunset said earning a smile from Sombra.

“Good, and I’m glad you found someone. Not that I blame you, she is the looker, isn’t she?” Sombra said in a teasing tone.

It was late in the afternoon when Sunset arrived back at the penthouse to find Fluttershy and Chrysalis on the couch laughing at some cartoon playing on the TV. There were only a few boxes with the cutest, most realistic stuffed bunny on Fluttershy’s lap. When it turned to her, Sunset couldn’t help the twitch above her eye.

“Hell. No.” Sunset said crossing her arms as she glared at the animal who only glared back.

“Welcome home, Sunset.” Chrysalis said with a huge smirk.

“Hi Sunset, this is Angel Bunny. I thought my dad…but look, he’s alive!” Fluttershy said happily as she hugged the thing to her chest earning an even more intense glare from the bunny.

“I don’t want that filthy thing in my home. Damned rodent.” Sunset growled out making Fluttershy shrink back for a moment before Chrysalis cleared her throat seeming to give Fluttershy courage.

“Please! He’s really smart and clean. I promise he won’t be any trouble.” Fluttershy begged, Sunset fighting hard not to give in to her pleas.

“No.” Sunset said firmly.

“Please!” Fluttershy begged, her eyes seeming to get larger and watery as she leaned forward showing that she was wearing a different top, a v-cut top that was showing a generous amount of cleavage. She wasn’t sure what done her in, that look or that cleavage, but in the end she just wasn’t strong enough.

“Fine!” Sunset groaned, “But you cross any lines rabbit and I’ll make a damned stew out of you!”

“Yay, thank you!” Fluttershy cried out as she passed the animal to Chrysalis before hugging Sunset tightly making it almost worth it to let the filthy beast in her home.

“Don’t mention it.” Sunset said as she glared at Chrysalis over Fluttershy’s shoulder while mouthing the words, “I’ll get you for this!”

All the while in Sunset’s mind, she kept cursing saying, Damn it! Damn it, damn it, damn it!