• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 5,187 Views, 634 Comments

The Life and Death of a DJ - Syn3rgy



So how did Vinyl become... Vinyl?

  • ...
14
 634
 5,187

Syn3rgy's Note to the Curious Reader

Index:

In the Making

My Purpose

Triumphs and Tribulations

Cool facts


In The Making:

I must admit, finishing this book has been a truly momentous experience for me. The whole journey has been something else, really.

I came up with the idea before the summer of last year even started; originally, my plans were to write a similar story about Vinyl, Octavia, and a world without music. As I developed this story though, plot holes and inaccuracy’s sprung up, and I, being the particular guy I was, knew that so long as those sorts of problems were around, I’d not write.

Events in my life around the time really allowed me to develop the story into the way it is now. For starters, my much loved grandfather had died, leading me to ponder life, as his end was untimely and harrowing. I asked myself ‘what was the point of living, when in the end, everyone dies?’ This question was answered after I read My Little Dashie, that story by ROBCakeran. I admired how My Little Dashie, a simple snapshot of a random brony’s life, could evoke so much emotion and intrigue. This brony was no one special; he could be any of us.

Following that discovery, I became very interested in the simple concept of Life. How it’s infinitely intricate, and how without death, we’d never put value in life. That short 80 years-a fleeting glimpse in the grand scale of things-is all we have to live for; we should make the best of it.

So I began taking my old concept on the whole Vinyl and Octy deal, changing it into the story you all have read. I found myself torn between writing the life of Octavia, Or Vinyl… in the end, I decided Vinyl. Why Vinyl though? I’d imagine it was because she was a DJ, a musician of the more electronic variety, which appealed to me more than traditional classical music.


My purpose:

What I wanted to achieve here was the absolute rendition of Vinyl Scratches’ life, from her early beginnings to her timely end. At first this task seemed daunting, but as I pushed on, it became so much easier to write; all I was doing was telling a story in the end, and I suppose I’m good at that sort of thing.

I wanted to portray the fact that a simple life could be exiting, and that it didn’t take some superstar or ruler to give a good show. Vinyl was a foal, then a busker, then in school, then out of school, then a mother, then an elder; nothing special, yet at the same time very special indeed.

Another thing that I strove to do, was break away from the well-crafted fannon surrounding Vinyl, and tread my own path. I looked at a whole mess of Vinyl stories, taking notes as I went of the common themes in each. When I got down to fleshing the story out, I took note of all those stereotypes, and then strove to break them: Vinyl was not paired up with Octavia, Vinyl was straight, and so on and so forth.

My overall purpose was to tell the story of how Vinyl became, well, Vinyl. I explained the meaning of her stage name, the significance of her tinted goggles, the significance of her mixer-and later on- her piano, and her appearances in the MLP season as the episodes pressed on.


Triumphs and Tribulations:

Out of anything I have written in the past, this particular story has impacted my life the most. Here in front of me, I have rendered a life, in all it’s complicated beauty; in all its triumphs and tribulations. What’s more, this story, ironically enough, affected my own life as well.

Prior to the publishing of this novel, I’d been writing for ten years. Recently, I tallied up everything I wrote, both offline and online, and the numbers came in at an upwards of 18 completed short stories, and 7 uncompleted novels. That’s a lot of incompletion, which leads me to the next part of my little ramble here.

Prior to the publishing of this novel, I’d not completed a story. I just couldn’t commit, or my opinions would be changed before I could finish it. For me, Life and Death of a DJ was a massive milestone; a story I actually completed, totaling in with 110 (excluding the author note here) word document pages, 48 thousand words, and 22 chapters (Including prologue and bridges). Wow!

Not only did my story act as that milestone, it also was a catalyst in developing me to be a better writer. Some of you might remember my struggles with Equestria Daily, how the pre-readers rejected my story 6 times before regretfully letting me go. For a whole two months, I was constantly editing, learning, and rewriting parts of my story so that I could accommodate their particularities. I think in all, I’ve edited this damn baby of mine for a total of 34 hours. I now have an editor, who is wonderful, might I add, and he does all that stuff now; the thing is though, in that time I was forced to brush up my work, I greatly increased my abilities as a writer. I wouldn't have wished it any other way.


Cool facts:

-I never planned on getting Vinyl hooked on Buck; this detail came on later in my story, while I was at my cottage and wondering what a really good twist would be.

-In the beginning, my first five chapters were in third person. Some wise (If not albeit harsh) words from my first EqD pre-reader made me decide to change the whole thing into first person.

-A debate broke out on my story between my editor and another individual, who began arguing over what instrument Octavia actually used. I’d called it a violin, which was wrong. According to them, it was either a double bass or a cello. I had to re-do all the parts in my story where Octavia or her profession was mentioned, three times in a single day. I ended up picking the Cello.

-The notorious ‘Wolf’ was named the way he was because I was poking fun at the prevalence of wolf fursona’s in the furry fandom (where I was before joining this fandom).

-I was told by my last EQD pre-reader that I had broken a record on Equestria daily as the most returning author since the three strike rule was initiated (three strikes and three non-strike rejections)

-Vinyl was meant to marry Cloud Chaser (the young foal from the orphanage in chapter one), instead of Orrick.

-The name ‘Rorrick’ was from another story I’d planned on writing, where I wanted to redeem Gilda in the eyes of the fandom as she finds and then raises a foal in the griffon world, covering up his pony name, Raindrop, with the more masculine one, Rorrick.

-The last paragraph in each of the journal entries on the final chapter outlines some aspect of me or the philosophies I lead by in one way or another.

-I dropped numerous Fallout Equestria references throughout my story


Thanks for the read you wonderful people/ponies!

~Syn3rgy

Comments ( 109 )

2.bp.blogspot.com/-LO4qcGPBLbs/Twyx68HezFI/AAAAAAAAak0/_o7mHmjgaiU/s1600/110087+-+artist+zlack3r+artist+zlacker+book+crying+filly+sad+twilight_sparkle.png
(Put this in the previous chapter, but nopony will see it there :p)
Too bad it had to end :(
Ps, I'm always available as a proofreader/editor ^_^

Congratulations on completing this Syn3rgy.
It has been excellent.
derpy.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/134454618291.gif

Alas...the best things in life always have to end early.

Good work on this, man! I can't wait what else you have in store!

Wait, you're not done? The story status says "Incomplete".

1617447

Awwww. I was hoping you did that on purpose. Your writing is beautiful :fluttercry:

This was one of the most emotional stories I have read yet. I cried, I smiled, I cheered at Vinyls success and wept at her trials. Thank you so much for this story. I haven't read anything as amazing as this before, and I just want to say I can't wait to see what comes next. You deserve a hundred moustaches for this, but i can't put that many, so this one equals a hundred :moustache:

:yay: Awesome story!! :yay:

Now have mustaches!
:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

damnit man you made me fucking cry so hard... like when my grandmother died. you sir, are a writing GOD!

great job

never read Equestira Fallout though... TIME FOR A REREAD

My dear writer, that was one amazing story. I do believe you have earned every like and fave on this story and many more.
I am sorry to see it end, but I hope to see more great things from you in the future

~Reggie

1617980

didn't even notice change to first person lol

tho the shadow calls to all of us in the end you must take pride in these things for you can do so much in your life befor the shadows claim you.

1617966 Gives band-aid.

1617835 No, no, no! you have it wrong! Thank you for making this trip possible!

1617943 yes, more is on the way. The announcement of my next novel will be tomorrow.

1617866 *Bows*

1617796 fallout Equestria... you've never read? it is a very lengthy novel, took me a whole summer to get through it. Once your done though, you feel very accomplished!

1618000 Haha, yes. That was very early on.

It's so funny looking back on the story, and the path it's taken.

Thank you so much for being a faithful follower of mine, and I'll strive to continue to impress.

~Syn3rgy

1618024
I love you man in a non weird way(if you know what i mean)

1618072 *Heart Explodes*

1618010 so true...

~Syn3rgy

1618049 could I borrow your editor too? I need me one of those....

1618104
your in featured box again...

1618110 maybe not my editor, as he's already very busy. I do know, however, that 'The Writers Group' is an excellent source for finding editors and bettering your writing.

I also know of the user, Wolfmaster1337, who recently offered to edit my stories. You can ask him if you'd like!

I do hope that helps...

~Syn3rgy

I refuse to read this on my shitty phone, but it is favoutited and liked, and you have been watched:pinkiehappy:

oh my goddess(thats all i can say) total awesomesauce

What a wild ride this's been. Glad I was here for it. Sad that it has to end but hey all good things gotta end right. Well done, and good luck on your future works.

:fluttershysad: it's over? aww. that was without doubt one of the best endings to a story I have ever read. MFW I finished reading: :pinkiesad2:

I do have one question though: what happened to her kids? I didn't see them mentioned....

That was incredible. I loved this so much. Instant favorite. Congrats. This was filled with funzies.

A debate broke out on my story between my editor and another individual, who began arguing over what instrument Octavia actually used. I’d called it a violin, which was wrong. According to them, it was either a double bass or a cello. I had to re-do all the parts in my story where Octavia or her profession was mentioned, three times in a single day. I ended up picking the Cello.

lol. A debate it was, and a well debated topic it turned out to be if I do say so myself. I did learn some new concepts off of that debate, and I learned a little bit more about the instruments and their body structures.

You wouldn't believe how much I love this story, in my opinion it is one of those few true stories, the ones that really get down and develop something so well documented as Vinyl's life, yet bring such new emotions and themes that it can't help but stick with you. Congratulations on the completion of this piece, and I wish you luck with anything else you plan on doing.

This was different. Never seen a good story here yet that follows a pony through life.

It has captivated me.

It's finished :raritycry::fluttercry:



P.S: you truly are very good

1618343 Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy your stay :pinkiehappy:

1618505 Thank you for reading Insanity! I'm really glad you enjoyed.

1619081 Oh, he has a befitting end. That is all.:trollestia:

1619138 I'll need all the luck you can give *gets funnel*

1619191 I'm happy you enjoyed the trip! More is on the way.

1619308 for now... *evil laugh*

1619504 Luck... yes, I'll need lots of that! I have ambitious plans for future stories. Have you ever heard of the Solar Empire... maybe the Lunar Republic?

1619548 Your honest opinion means a lot to me, and I'll take note of what you mentioned. It was rather challenging, with the summer over and all, to go so in-depth. I had to keep the story at a more aloof pace, as I had a lot to cover in a shorter amount of time. In all, though, I'm really glad you enjoyed the read.

1620061 'You truly are very good' aww, thanks!

1620185 I'm glad you enjoyed Ray! More is on the way. I'll be putting out a journal today.

~Syn3rgy

I cant remember when I started reading this one, but I do remember leaving for a month or so and coming back to its completion.

Such a wonderful ending, such a wonderful fiction. Pulled my heartstrings hard in those last two chapters mate. :ajsmug:

Best of luck to you in the coming sections and future works!

-Vinyl was meant to marry Cloud Chaser (the young foal from the orphanage in chapter one), instead of Orrick.

As I was reading through these little notes, this really caught my eye. I'm wondering... what made you choose to not go in that direction?

1622434 That's a really good question. It sort of just happened when I myself fell in love with Orrick. He was one hell of a character to create!

~Syn3rgy

One of the best fanfictions with a perfect end. Bravo good sir, bravo.

1622551 As good a reason as any! Although, it did leave me wondering what the significance of her first friend was going to be the entire story, and it was a small disappointment to find out he didn't have any significance past being an audience and us never seeing him again past that scene. But overall that minor detail doesn't bug me. I stand by this story being absolutely excellent.:twilightsmile:

1622879 Oh yes. I remember seeing that when you first posted the blog earlier... three times.:derpytongue2: Definitely intrigued by the idea.

That was a damn good story and I enjoyed reading it. Now that I have read a few stories on his site, I think that I am able to start my own. Wish me luck!:rainbowdetermined2:

Yea. I definately noticed one of those fun facts. Considering you put the words Fallout Equestria into the song! Major no no there. Probably broke something. Other than that, congratulations! You have wrote the second most depressing fanfic ever! Considering My Little Dashie, Fallout Equestria, Background Pony, and the White Box are on this list, as well as countless others, you should feel proud of your achievment!

1624466 Thank you!

Wow, I'm so glad I brought Vinyl to the forefront of best pony! What's more, I'm really glad you enjoyed the read :ajsmug:

Do you know what I'm working on next?

1624200 Yes, the mention in the song was the obvious one. There are others scattered around the text!

I'm glad I pulled your heartstrings... means I succeeded!

Do you know what I'm working on next?

1623916 I wish you luck! I'd love to take a peek when one of them come out. Just link me via a note, and I'll take a look.

Do you know what I'm working on next?

1622574 *Hugs* I'm glad you got your heartstrings pulled!

Hey, do you know what I'm working on next?

~Syn3rgy

Hey Syn3rgy, this was really good! I had a great ride and the ending was a tearjerker. Thanks for the awesome story bro! :pinkiehappy:

How I felt during the ending and last couple chapters:
media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt56wsINBQ1qdz3dz.gif
:pinkiesad2:

How I felt throughout the whole story: The reason why I read this story was because I suddenly desired to have that feeling of "traveling through life" without really doing so. It kind of feels like playing The Sims.

Finally, here are some songs I recommend while reading this fic:
Adventure Club & Krewella - Rise & Fall
Armin van Buuren & DJ Shah feat. Chris Jones - Going Wrong
I think they fitted the mood pretty well while I was reading.

Oh yeah, and I wonder what this story would have been like if Twilight or Celestia (watching over Twilight) had been the main character. Maybe you can write a fic like that? It could take the perspective of Twilight how the struggles of her life and the mane six. OR If the fic involved Celestia's perspective instead of Twilight's, it could show her watching over Twilight as she ages, seeing as how Celestia is immortal and Twilight is mortal.

Man, I have read My Little Dashie, and I didnt even shred a single tear. The story, while sad, was a bit to cartoony to actually be sad (And I listened to Mic The Microphones reading of it, where he attempted to cheat by adding the dead island music.)

Anyway, your story made me cry. You did a good job mate, a real good job. I was emotionally hooked on this story, through the good times, and the bad, and I felt every bit of the emotion that you wished to convey. I apologize, since my words, likes, and favorites, are all I can give to you. Thank you.

Look at my comment on the last chapter you awesome colt writer:pinkiecrazy:

1678243 No, Norse.

Thank you.

You've stuck to this story for a long while, you were one of the first few outside of my watcher list, actually.

I hope I see ya around again in my next one!

~Syn3rgy

This was ... there's no words for how moving this was.
I'm glad I found this, I will never see vynil the same again,
thank you for the amazing story

*Vinyl
Also, love the picture :twilightsmile:
~N

Dude! thanks for mentioning the debate i brought up
i freaked out when i read it

1619441 i still say it's a bass

1693126 Haha,

NP.

I was just happy you two were actually debating, not hissing at each other by putting as many fucks and shits in your sentences as you could.

I do like a good debate... you gave me great insight!

~Syn3rgy

1693129 lol, I am still wondering, but I am sticking with a cello because it seems like her kind of instrument. Tis only my opinion.:rainbowwild:

Why is Octavia always the first to die! WHYYYYY! This is the worst,possible, thing! :raritycry:

Login or register to comment