• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 5,183 Views, 634 Comments

The Life and Death of a DJ - Syn3rgy



So how did Vinyl become... Vinyl?

  • ...
14
 634
 5,183

Bridge: Completing the Circle

The scene was set, the spoils of planning reaped, the anticipation-the excitement-surging through me; tonight was the night. The beginning of the end, as Octavia had jokingly mentioned earlier on.

Marriage.

If you were to ask me five years ago what I thought about marriage, I’d laugh and shake my head; telling you it was out of the option. Now, the very notion was what drove me every day. The idea of settling down and having a family was appealing, a goal that I wanted to make a reality. The goal I would make a reality in about fifteen minutes. I saw a collection of ponies and griffons congregated, mingling, interacting; their chatter coming together to create a delicate ambiance of gentle voices, spiked occasionally by an enthusiastic exclamation or two. Looking amidst the congregation, I spotted some of Octavia’s relatives, talking merrily amongst Orrick’s, who were-for obvious reasons-easy to pick out. Neither Octavia nor Orrick were anywhere in sight. This was as I suspected.

As the Matrimony Stallion cantered onto the stage and rang a bell, the audience stilled, quickly moving back to their spots; their voices fell to hushed whispers.

“Fillies and Gentlecolts, Griffons, you are all here today to witness the marriage of two unique lovers under Celestia’s sky. Two lovers who have broken away from the norm, driven by love, and now would like to marry. If there are any objections, please stand.”

The audience remained sitting, casting furtive glances around challengingly. The Matrimony Stallion nodded.

“No pony or griffon has objected. We will now move onto the matrimonial service. May Vinyl Scratch, the bride, step onto the stage?”

Taking a deep breath to steel myself, I parted the curtains and cantered out.

“May her mate…”

The audience turned to look down the aisle at the double doors at the entrance of the Matrimony house; after an impossibly long second, they swung open slowly on their well-oiled hinges.

“May her mate…”

As my mate descended the aisle, the ponies and griffons that were passed by nodded reassuringly, murmuring words of encouragement as their object of pride walked past them.

“May her mate, Orrick Headwind, come to the stage.”

Clearing the final pew, Orrick stepped up the three stairs to stand in front of me. His eyes were gleaming with excitement and tenderness. I could only return the look, cupping a hoof around one of his cheeks and stroking him there.

“It’s happening,” I whispered.

“I know,” he replied, bringing his beak down to stroke me once in return.

We both turned our attention towards the Matrimony Stallion as he continued:

"Here in front of us now, Orrick Headwind and Vinyl Scratch will fulfill the marriage pact. May our groom commence?”

“I will,” Orrick started, fixing me in a gaze that made me melt on the inside. By Luna! I wanted to skip the service and get right to the kissing. “I, Orrick Headwind, propose my affection to one very beautiful Vinyl Scratch. Through Celestia’s Day and Luna’s Night, I will stand by her side and support her. Through Celestia’s Wisdom and Luna’s Wit, I will defend, protect, and nurture her. Only in death will we part.”

“And Vinyl?” the stallion said, turning to me.

The resolution, the finality, the very notion of being beside Orrick till we grow old and pass on was both amazing and fulfilling. So lost in my thoughts was I, that I almost missed the cue to speak on my behalf.

“I, Vinyl Scratch…” I repeated the vow, saying the same thing that Orrick had, but with him as the subject. “…Only in death will we part.”

With my vows done, the Matrimony Stallion turned to the audience.

“There you have it. May the Bearer approach?”

From the far end of the isle, the doors that Orrick had arrived through swung open again. Octavia appeared, carrying two twin necklaces on a bust that sported a sapphire and a white gold horn. When she got to where we were standing, she smiled briefly before turning to the matrimonial stallion and giving him the bust. He uttered a brief ‘thank you’ before turning to address me and my mate for a final time. In silence, he gave us each a necklace before backing up; it was up to us to finalize the pact.

“Let’s do this,” I said.

I let out a shaky breath as I rose the necklace up and around Orrick’s neck with my magic. It fit perfectly, sitting handsomely around his broad base.

“Let’s,” he murmured.

Bringing up his own necklace, he placed it around my neck with his talons. The thin metal chain felt… right, for a lack of better words; I was too excited to think straight.

It was done. I, Vinyl Scratch, was now married, married, to Orrick. And you know what? I didn’t regret a thing about it.


I sat with my hooves tucked close to my chest to keep warm and a peaceful smile splayed across my face. My eyes were partially closed as I basked in the mellow light of the rising sun. A call from a songbird above made me return to reality, and I shifted my position on the wavy hillside to gaze intently at the painted sky, allowing the nagging thoughts to return. The sun was rising, and it cast the world in a sheet of vibrant, monochromatic light. I loved this time of the day the best.

I felt a presence behind me, and I turned to greet it. Orrick stood, his plumage swathed in the vibrancy of the early morning light show. He yawned and fell beside me, his larger frame providing an excellent pillow to rest my head against.

“It’s beautiful,” he murmured; I nodded a response.

For moments we sat in silence, each lost in our own realms of thought. Big things were on the horizon; vibrant things.

“The foals; how are they?”

“Sleeping thankfully,” I replied, my voice distant as I continued to gaze. “Luna knows I need a break.”

Oh, the fun's just starting!” Orrick exclaimed. “Let’s see how we fare once they’re actually born.”

I brought a hoof up and hit him lightly; my blow glanced off his shoulder. Lowering my hoof, I brought it to the bulge at my stomach.

"Yes, lets see."

We resumed our staring as the new day crested the horizon.