• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 5,183 Views, 634 Comments

The Life and Death of a DJ - Syn3rgy



So how did Vinyl become... Vinyl?

  • ...
14
 634
 5,183

Chemical Romance

…In this world there are Villains, and Super Villains,” I said to the ceiling.
I was pinned to my filthy bed, battered by the exhausting, all encompassing lethargy that only Buck could bring after a user resurfaced.

“Super Villains are the ones who make the master plans, the ones with the armies, the money, the whole world hates them.”

From somewhere downstairs, I could hear my speaker system blaring; pumping out the heavy hitting tunes that I must have danced too all night long. Sleep for me was no longer consistent. Sometimes I got twelve hours, others I got three; it was taking a frightening toll on my body.

“Villains on the other hand, are those Luna damned ponies whose sole purpose it is to spread anger, corruption, and devastation to a single other. These Villains do everything in their power to make another’s life as unstable and crippled as they can. They have no respect for the law, don’t know compassion… all they know-like parasprites- is how to consume and move on. Wolf is a Villain,” I concluded.

Rolling over in my bed with a groan, I pulled open a bedside drawer. Inside, a syringe and a single vial was kept. My last hit of Buck.

“A villain that I have become reliant on.”


As I got ready to visit Wolf, the phone rang. Yawning, I moved away from my sink and picked up the receiver.

“Hello, Vinyl?” Octavia was on the other line. Through the hampering influence of fatigue, I felt my heart jump excitedly.

“Octavia? Oh, it’s great to hear from you. What’s up?”

“Nothing much; playing the cello, performing…” Her voice faded, only to return in the form of a controlled whisper. “Listen, I heard about your problem…”

My blood went cold and I closed my eyes.

Of course she had.

“Well, it’s a lie,” I said, unable to admit to my shameful activities. “It’s all a lie.”

“Don’t kid yourself, Vinyl; it’s the only thing I hear on the streets. What in the name of Luna were you thinking, this is so…” I pulled the phone away and went to hang up. Something held me back, however; I brought the receiver back up to my ear.

“Listen Octy, I didn’t pick up the phone to hear this shit from you. Why did you call?” I demanded, scowling to the wall. I didn’t need another ‘concerned friend’ heckling me.

“Well, I was just, see… I” good, I’d thrown her off; about time she learned that I could keep care of myself.

“Octavia, why did you call me? I’ve got an appointment, and frankly, I’m already running late,” I growled into the receiver.

Silence on the other side of the line… was she crying? Something about the fact that she was acting so weak pissed me off even more.

“Are you crying, really? You can’t let my choices affect you like this, seriously, I’m fine. I got work in Ponyville. I’m fine,” I repeated for emphasis. “Can you please calm down and tell me what you need to tell me?” I hated how she was stalling, what was so important anyway?

When Octavia spoke up again, her voice had gone hard, resolute. “You want to know why I called, Vinyl? I’m performing at the Masquerade, and I pulled enough strings to reserve that spot for you. However, since you have no intention of getting off whatever you’re on-this Buck drug-I have no intention to keep your spot. If you can clean yourself up in the next week, you can come…”

In an act of unkempt rage, I swiftly interrupted her prating “By Luna shut the hay up! You’re not my mother!” I ripped the phone away from my head and smashed the ‘end call’ button…it was then that I realized what I had just done.

Orrick. That spot at Octavia's performance was supposed to be my opportunity to come to terms with him. My eyes widened in despair, I didn't cry, didn't shout out or even get angry; I just felt numb. Stumbling over to my dresser, I took out the remaining vial of Buck and injected into my neck.

Happiness overcame me.


“Welcome back.” The cold voice of Wolf came to my ears as I was escorted into a gloomy looking room.

Shadows cut creases across the walls, weaving dark murals. In the center, Wolf sat on a couch with a cigarette clenched in his teeth and a wry smile splayed across his face.

“I’d imagine our stalk of Buck is running low, yes?”

I nodded, clenching my jaw.

“Yes. How much for thirty-five hits?”

Wolf’s eyebrow rose at this.

“That’s more than you normally buy from me; planning on sharing it with some of your friends?” A harsh laugh. “I doubt that.” He beckoned me to sit down beside him.

Reluctantly, I obeyed. Only once I had settled, did he reach a hoof to wrap around my side and rest on my flank. His touch made me want to vomit, but I needed him and his cooperation, especially for what I was about to propose.

“So, how much for thirty-five?” I restated my question.

Wolf appeared as though he had just woken up from a daze.

“Of course, forgive me. Your body is just so… tempting.” He uncomfortably prodded me by the tailhole with the tip of his hoof. I squirmed away, repulsed. “A pony could easily be sidetracked. You want thirty-five? That’ll be three-thousand-five-hundred bits.”

I nodded; I’d known that that would be the final number. I also knew that if I were to pay in full price, I’d no longer have the money to live at my home. Repair on the turntable had already cost me a fortune in itself, and with the news of my addiction spread across Manehatten, I wasn’t getting any work. It was time for me to cast out the line:

“Thirty five hundred!” I exclaimed in mock surprise. “But I haven’t got the money for that.” I cast my glance sideways just in time to catch that sick gleam in Wolf’s eyes; I knew what was coming next.

“You can’t pay, eh?” Wolf said. “We can always troubleshoot…”

I cast my tattered dignity aside and fell against him. I didn’t want to be anywhere near the sick minded earth pony; however, the need for Buck was a more prominent matter. My lips went in to kiss his, but he raised a hoof and pushed my muzzle back.

“Not this time, Vinyl. You can’t seduce me a third time.”

I felt my heart drop through the floor.

“However, I did say we could troubleshoot.” He paused momentarily to take a drag of his cigarette. “I have an offer for you. One that’ll allow you to start making money again, DJ’ing, like you love to do.” He was being evasive, filling me up with more questions than solutions. I could only sit at the front of my seat and listen.

“I own a club, one that’s been looking for a DJ…” I cut him off.

“I’m banned from clubs, if you’re caught with me up on stage, you could face investigation.”

He only smiled.

“What makes you think that the authorities know of my club?”

“Well, I just…” I was interrupted.

“They don’t, it’s all underground,” Wolf explained, maintaining his grin.

“Oh,” I replied, feeling foalish. The deal sounded too good to be true, however… there had to be a catch.

“Yes, you can again make money doing the thing you love… however in return, I want you; the thing I love.” He brought a hoof back to stroke my flank. “You’re a very sexy pony, Vinyl, and very willing… just what I need.” His stroking became rough, and he nicked by butt painfully. “So, do we have a deal?”

I wanted to say yes; if I said yes, I could continue taking Buck and not worry about the financial repercussion that came with the addiction.

So why am I hesitating then?

The question struck me as a rather odd notion. Why was I hesitating? Something about the nature of the question made me think back to a time when Octavia and I were spending one of our chess-filled nights together. She had mentioned something about my lack of thinking ahead. Her voice came to me as clear as daylight: “You simply must learn to look ahead, Vinyl. Failing to do so could get you in a world of unneeded trouble, or in this case, lose your king.”

And yet, even though I promised Octy I’d try to better myself, I’m again only thinking in the now!

So what if I did take up his offer? What would that lead to? A shady lifestyle always controlled by the firm hoof of Wolf; always controlled by impulse and need. I might be in some trouble now, but a future living with Wolf could only lead to a bigger disaster. All these thoughts ran through my head in a matter of thirty seconds, however, it was all I needed to decide how I’d answer. I wasn’t completely brain-dead yet.

“I’m sorry, Wolf, but I can’t accept the offer.”

In response to my rejection, he scowled bitterly.

“Well then you're stupider than I thought. Are you telling me that you’d rather be on the streets of Manehatten, then in the safe confines of a home, and with a paying job?”

I nodded, still not fully understanding why I rejected his offer.

“Yes, I’ll send you the money in two days,” I replied.

I went to leave, but then stopped half way towards the door. The two guards at the entrance met me, each putting a firm hoof on either side of my shoulders.

“And to answer your question; I need a larger supply because I’m going to be staying in Ponyville for a while. An individual, Rarity, has asked me to DJ at an upcoming fashion show of hers. I’ll return with enough money to keep me off the streets, and your pockets full,” I explained.

I had to appeal to him, because he was my lifeline. Without Wolf, I’d not have access to Buck, and without Buck, I’d probably have a mental breakdown. In the past few months I’ve tried to get off the blasted drug, yet each and every time, I’d fail and go scurrying back. I no longer had control over my mental process, I needed Buck to keep me going, and I’d be nothing without it.


The train ride from Manehatten Junction to Ponyville seemed to drag on, and on; it grinded on my nerves. My gaze kept flitting to my suitcase, or more so to the medium sized chestnut box that was indefinitely inside, disguised as a jewelry case; my month’s supply of Buck was in there.

It felt like my veins were on fire, I wanted to take a shot right now, but I knew I couldn’t. Instead, I resorted to quickly zipping open the suitcase and gazing at the contents inside. It was like I could feel the needle slipping into my vein, feel the wondrous rush that soon followed, the happiness, the euphoria that allowed an escape from this dreary world, and into a brighter one. And I shouldn’t forget the lights! The ones I used to be able to call on while I made music. They’d return and surround me; bright as ever. Oh, how I craved for that wonderful, freeing, rainbow colored…

I caught myself and quickly zipped up my bag; hiding its contents from my view. Shaking my head in disgust, I tried to bring my mind off of Buck.

Canterlot had just appeared over the horizon, framed in all its beauty against the sapphire sky. Somewhere beneath that castle of gold and silver, nestled comfortably between the Everfree forest and the Smoky Mountains, a new chance at life presented itself. From the time between my first trip on Buck, to now, I’d gotten much better at controlling myself, or more so covering up the negative effects that the drug presented. If things went as I thought they would, I should be able to remain under the radar while I was here, and find some work again.


As the train screeched out of the station, I turned to stare at the small, homey, Ponyville Junction station. The trip to Ponyville itself was another fifteen minutes by carriage, however, I didn’t have the money to pay for the trip; I concluded that I’d be walking.


… So you are absolutely certain that you’re up to this, Vinyl?” the mare in front of me said, her gaze flitting in a manner that told me she still didn’t trust that I’d be able to perform at one-hundred percent.

“Yes ma'am,” I replied. “I know how important this is to you.” I stopped for a second to chuckle. “And with the money you’re paying me to do this gig, you’ll definitely see me giving it my all.”

She still didn’t seem convinced, and if I wasn’t lost in the euphoric effects of Buck, I’d have probably felt frustrated.

“Listen, Rarity. I’m a valid DJ with a diploma from Manhattan's Music Academy; I have years of experience under my saddle… I won’t fail, I promise.”

Picking up on the sincerity in my voice, Rarity reluctantly nodded.

“Alright, Vinyl, you’ve got the gig. I’ll pay half the expenses now and the other half after you successfully perform. Meet me at the Carousel Boutique tomorrow at the time I gave you.” She pulled out her bit-purse; a gilded thing with gold trim and impressive weight.

I wondered how much money she had in there. In silence, I watched as she fed out my pay onto the table, counting to herself as she went. By the time she was done, I was fighting back the urge to hug her, and then maybe take things to the next level; the amount of money she was going to give would already pay off a good chunk of my recent transaction with Wolf. I knew that the following night, a time when I’d get the other half of my pay, I’d celebrate. Just me and Buck; bound in Chemical Love.


Rarities fashion show had been both entertaining, and different. I still found it to be a miracle that I’d made it through the night without high-tailing home and taking an injection. Going against my cravings, I repented from taking Buck so that there’d be no way I’d blow my opportunity. I survived a night without it, and that in itself was momentous. However, because I didn’t take my nightly supplement, I was burning from the inside out.

Speaking of commitment, I’d made a deal with myself that if I made it through the show, and got paid in full, I’d celebrate. This all happened, and I, being the honest pony that I was, needed to carry out my end of the bargain. With a smile, I got up from the couch and made my way across the quaint bungalow I’d rented for the month.

As I passed by the window, I looked out. Looming just above the highest peak of Sugarcube corner, Twilights tree-house was silhouetted against the crimson sky. I’d seen her up on stage at the performance; her, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack… the whole gang. They’d put on a good show, no doubt, and I’d been tempted to invite them back to my place to talk and get to know them a bit better. The one obvious thing that prevented me from doing that however, was their inclination to Buck. I didn’t know where they stood on the matter, hay, I couldn’t help but wonder if they even knew about it; Ponyville just didn’t seem to be a place where drugs, or any shady activity at that, was a recurring theme. I shook my head, dismissing my thoughts. I’d already stalled long enough; I had a date with Buck and I was running late.

Moving on from the window, I opened a small bedside drawer and pulled out my ‘jewelry box’. I couldn’t concentrate in the Buck deprived state I was in, so I resorted to tapping the hidden button with my hoof instead of utilizing my magic. The bottom of the box flipped open, revealing the true gems; nestled in the secret hollow crafted in the base.

As I brought the loaded syringe up I began to shiver in ecstasy. With my teeth, I expertly navigated the needle to rest over my jugular-the place I found which gave the quickest results-before easing the sharpened tip through my flesh and into the large vein. As I injected, any pain I might of felt was quickly washed away as I felt the wondrous, all encompassing rush hotwire all my senses and send them into overdrive. The first stage, the one where my vision, hearing, touch and smell became greatly enhanced, was already underway. The hampering giddiness, the surge of energy; that would come later.

Shivering, I brought my hooves across my body. Every nerve seemed to tingle, every neuron; it was very pleasure inducing, to say the least. As my frisking went lower and lower, my breath caught in my throat. I imagined all the mares I’d seen today, and Wolf, all ready for a stifling get together. A convulsion sent me falling back onto my bed, where I began rubbing my nether region aggressively, biting my lip as wave after wave of all-consuming arousal battered me from all ends. The climax was over quickly, but I wasn’t done yet. I wanted more.

Casting a shaky bout of bluish magic into the hollow, I attempted to reload the syringe. I’d never taken two hits before, but Wolf hadn’t cautioned me about any possible repercussions. Besides, with the few extra vials of Buck I had, I was safe for the month. Bringing the small glass capsule up to the needle, I attempted to latch it onto the feeding tube. A convulsion the size of a tsunami made me drop the uncorked hit of Buck onto my bed. As the liquid spilled out I screamed and fell, trying to lap up whatever I could salvage from the covers; all I got however was a tongue-full of lint.

Feeling an uncontrollable bout of rage seize me, I picked up a nearby lamp in a sickly glow of red magic and violently threw it. As it struck the wall beside me, it exploded, sending shards of glass in all directions. With a flicker, the metal wire in the middle of the bulb went out. Gritting my jaw till it hurt, I amassed all my energy into steadily reloading the syringe. After a moment of stifling concentration, I heard the reassuring click of the vial latching onto the feeder tube. I gave a breath of relief before bringing the new hit up to my neck. Finding that I could wait no longer, I roughly shoved the needle in, injecting the drug into my bloodstream with a swift pump of the ejector.

I had the opportunity to take three elated breaths before my world started breaking apart. Maw agape, I tried to stand up, tried to canter, but all I could do was roll out of my bed and onto the hard wooden floor beneath. As I hit the cold surface, I felt the glass shards from the shattered light dig into my back, cutting deep in some areas, grazing in others. In the current state I was in however, inflicted by the sense enhancement presented by the two shots of Buck I’d taken, every cut made a new wave of excruciating pain terrorize my body. I began to scream, not out of rage, but out of utter trauma and hurt. The colors began to appear, but instead of wrapping me up in their embrace, they flew around me; resembling a swarm of killer bees. I coughed twice and my chest contracted. Blood started to trickle out of the corner of my maw. Trying to get away from the glass, I rolled over again, falling onto the still burning metal prong of the lamp. It began to burn at my chest, but try as I might to get out of the way, a paralysis began to overtake me. I realized, to my horror, that I could no longer move. Crying bitterly, all I could do was stay still as my body went numb. Soon to follow, my vision died and my heart sped up. Scared witless and faced with horrifying what-if’s, I fell unconscious.