• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 5,183 Views, 634 Comments

The Life and Death of a DJ - Syn3rgy



So how did Vinyl become... Vinyl?

  • ...
14
 634
 5,183

Written in Ink (Pt 4.)

Diary Entry 680

It’s been awhile since I last wrote in here, a year, maybe six? I should start writing the date. What’s funny is that for once, things have been going smooth! It’s as if, somehow, I and the family leaving Manehattan solved all our problems. I’ve feared every day that something will go wrong; that Orrick will get into some fight with me; that Rorrick will snap; that I’ll start having cravings for Buck or Alcohol… it never happens.

I really don’t know why I’m complaining, I guess it’s just too good to be true.

I suppose that’s my life for you, a roller-coaster that seems to have finally stopped, leaving me with the afterglow of adrenalin. Heck, I’m not that old yet, but I’m getting there. I can see gray in my mane, but I don’t try and dye it out anymore; as that’s an expensive procedure, and I don’t really care.

I’ve been working for a bit now; it took a while, but I got a job at Ponyville’s grade school teaching music. The only gal as old as me there is Cheerilee, a wonderful mare might I add.
What else, what else?

Ah, yes, Octavia. It seems as though the move was not only beneficial for Rorrick. Octy has started selling Cd’s; she’s making good money and is as happy as ever. Together, Orrick, Octy, and I are sustaining a good life with our joint income.

With all this extra time on my hooves recently, I’ve gotten back into music. On my spare time, when I’m not teaching, I’m playing the piano. I’m haunted so often now of my final wish, that I could call upon that elusive mother of mine and see her, see her in her full glory, not part made, not half colored; see her in all her beauty.

Rorrick and Ren, they’re going to be graduating from high school soon; I’m so excited, yet sad at the same time. Once they’ve gone off in the world, I’ll be left alone again. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t go, but can you really blame me for wishing they could stay in my hooves forever?
You can’t. Time, it has a way of changing things, as I always used to say.


Diary Entry 688

Graduation! By Celestia, I’m almost as nervous as my children are! This is amazing, this is momentous. Somehow, through sheer luck and support, I’ve lived to see the circle completed, and it’s beautiful. It’s going on tomorrow.

Rorrick, he’s probably going to head off in his father’s talons; he’s thinking of pursuing a degree in business. I don’t know what he’s going to do with it, but he has high hopes for a bright future. As much as I wanted a family of musicians, you’ve got to work with the cards that you’re given. But you know, so long as he’s happy, so am I.

Ren, my headstrong Ren. She’s keeping with music, and I’m so proud of her for that. I think it’s become clear which side of the gene pool she’s from-the better side, obviously. She’d like to join the National Equestrian Choir. It’s a bold pursuit, but with the mind-blowing marks she’s graduating with, I think they’ll be at her hooves begging for her to join them. She’s unbelievably excited about this.

I think that’s about all on my mind. I’ll probably have plenty to think about after graduation tomorrow; this diary has become the best thing I’ve thought of, considering all the harrowing times it’s got me through.

Thick, thin, it’s been there for me.


Diary Entry 689

I’m crying right now while I write this, mostly out of happiness, but you know; resolve is always a hard hit to the body. I just feel tired.

Rorrick approached me after his ceremonies. He was trim, his feathers clean and glossy, his beak and hooves polished till they shined. He looked so… mature, and somehow resembled his father and me whilst we were in our prime.

I almost cried then and there as well as I realized rather suddenly that he too had gone through so much to stand in front of me now; a graduate student about to face the wide open world. He said two lines before, Sheila, yes, I think that’s her name, herded him to a circle of friends. He said:

“Thank you.”

And I, being the silly filly that I am, was so swept off my hooves that all I could do in return was smile and utter a quiet “You’re welcome.” Those two words burn behind my eyelids still; I can’t shake them.

There before me I had created life. I stuck beside him through thick and thin, and I helped him out of all the jams he ended up in. At the time, it felt painfully long; now, however, it feels as though his whole childhood flew by in a blink of an eye.

The Circle, it’s complete. The realization of that it’s almost overwhelming. Everything great must end.


Diary Entry 1087

I’m afraid of death; the concept of it, what comes after, when it comes. It doesn’t take an intellect to tell me that I’m getting old; I can feel it. I wake up in the morning and my body aches. It takes me longer to urinate, to comprehend, and to walk.

Octavia on the other hoof seems as optimistic as ever. Her music has touched so many, and even though her arthritis prevents her from playing anymore, she’s happy. She invites death now with the knowledge that she has fulfilled her life. Sure, she has regrets, we often talk about them over tea in the morning; but she’s come to accept those facts of her life. Why am I not feeling the same way- and then it comes to me like a tidal wave; I still need to complete myself.
Considering I’ve retired now, I can spend all my time trying to find that element I’ve been missing; the one that will complete my mother’s image. Often I’ve gotten so close, and yet, at that prime moment, the image falls apart and I’m to start over. It’s infuriating.

In other news, Rorrick has started sending letters to me. He’s started a program that helps the young hippogriffs of Equestria adapt to public school. Apparently I was one of the first parents to incorporate their hippogriff child into a public school; according to him, I’ve made a legacy. Occasionally, from day to day, a thank you letter or two arrives in my mail; somepony or some griffon somewhere that has, with my sons help, gotten the guts to incorporate their own offspring in public school and are benefiting from it. It’s great and all, I don’t mind the fame, but do they all know how hard it was for Rorrick to grow up? I don’t mention that of course in my replies, but still, it makes me wonder.

A story is best received by another if it’s positive, or forecasts hope. If my son is to appear as that symbol of hope, I won’t say a word.

Diary Entry 1113

Where did the time go? I’m a grandmother! Now, I feel really old. It’s Ren; she met a fine stallion in the Equestrian Choir. I suppose I heard her mention him in passing- idle conversation when she paid me a visit-but the marriage was out of the blue. One thing led to the next and well, now she’s pregnant! We don’t know what the young’uns look like yet, but I know I’ll love them to death. I haven’t had this sort of excitement in ages!

Rorrick on the other hoof is getting busier and busier. He’s not at a point in his life where he’s ready to settle down, or so he told me a few weeks ago when we met in Sugar Cube Corner. At least he’s found a mate though, a wonderful griffon with enough competitiveness to keep him in check. I tell you, these griffons are nothing but trouble; oh, what am I saying, they’re wonderful.

I’m now happy to say that before I die, I did it; survived the hardships brought on by being a mother and nurtured two very wonderful beings into this wide, wild, world. My conscience is clear, finally.


Diary Entry 1254

Death, it seems as though it’s right on my doorstep, waiting for me to fall down the stairs, choke on a cob of corn, overexert myself so that I may have a heart attack. It’s not as scary anymore though, and though I still haven’t completed myself, that notion is fading. I look back on my life, and I’m stunned to silence.

My first conscious memories were of myself being motherless and working the plow at Meadowvale. I remember that dreary place, the one I eventually left at age 18. More to come: I survived on the streets of Manehattan, I was a busker; I met Dawnfire… arguably my first true love. He was part of a band that I eventually joined. It almost pains me to remember those soft nights where I, so young in this world, found myself caught up with the brothers in its wonder. Then Dawnfire’s death hit, the band split apart; I began drinking at this time. It was the first real blow to my heart; death was introduced to me far too early. And yet in those dark times, a spark was still present; Octavia. I remember that one night in the bar where she had come in looking for a spot to sit. I called her over, she pulled a prank on me, we became friends; she recommended I should join the music academy. At first, I turned down the idea; I was a busker at heart and would never survive in formal education. For a while I went back to the streets, made some money, and eventually decided that I’d give this formal education deal a swing. I met Orrick then, a younger Orrick, one who looks so different now that age has taken its toll. We got close, and as the years went by, embers of passion turned to flame in our hearts. Yet I, being the silly mare I was at the time, turned him down the first time he proposed his love. The next chapter of my life was a harrowing one, Buck, alcohol, sex… Wolf. My rehabilitation, Wolf’s appearance at my house, and then his timely fall; Orrick had beaten him half to death, and then called the cops. Things settled, and Orrick and I grew closer. Then there was the night the three of us sat on the balcony in Canterlot after Cadences wedding, when Octavia came out and told us of her alignment, when I recovered my career. The wedding, the kids, Rorrick’s struggles, Ren’s successes- that part of my life went by in a blur of tears, blood, worry, kinship, unity, and toil. Not to mention feathers… lots of those. Oh, and ink.

And here I am now, Octavia has passed on, she turned up dead a few nights ago. She’d perished in her sleep, a peaceful departure, clutching her cello case firmly in her hooves and with a soft smirk on her wrinkled face. Orrick is still around but is sick with age, his end is near; I just know it.

And yet I’m still here, pen in a field of magic, paper at my hooves. Ha, with a life such as mine, you’d think a story could be written about it.