• Published 4th Jan 2016
  • 8,147 Views, 66 Comments

Who I was - LuneLover



Twilight Sparkle has a happy life, but that's about to change.

  • ...
9
 66
 8,147

Home is where the heart (and the family) is


The Second Griffon War had sparked because of the Prince's death by a drop of poison in his wine cup. It was no secret that his father hated Equestria with a passion, and took the opportunity to declare war on them with a decent enough excuse. It was later discovered that it had been a revolutionary group against the crown, which in the years after the war tried to overthrow the King but failed.

"Hey, Twi?"

Equestria had accepted the declaration of war a month or so later, officially beginning the fight. The first great clash was in the city of Manehattan, which was left half destroyed after the encounter. It was also the Equestrian's first victory in the war, which proved that, despite griffons being trained from childhood to be strong warriors, the Equestrian's generals strategies surpassed them.

"Twilight?"

The second big battle took place in the outskirts near Trottingham. Although they were outnumbered, General Iron Blades managed to conduct his soldiers to victory flawlessly, and was condecorated-

"Twilight!"

The purple unicorn snapped out of the coping mechanism she used since she was a filly to find a light yellow hoof that she would have recognized anywhere waving in front of ther face. Indeed, it was Roseluck, looking at her with worry etched in face.

Both mares talked to each other after that, but not with words, but instead with simple gestures. Roseluck cocked her head, asking are you alright? Twilight responded with a nod that meant yes, don't worry.

Those two actions were repeated over and over all throughout the trip to Twilight's house. The earth pony had lived with her long enough to know when she was nervous or not, after all.

The unicorn had every reason to be afraid. She was going to reunite with her family again after a whole year of not seeing them. Well, her parents and Spike were going to be emotionally difficult, but her brother? Oh, he might as well be in another dimension for all she cared.

Much to Twilight's dismay, the trip was short and soon enough they were at her childhood home. It had stayed pretty much the same as it was when she was a little filly; and for a second the unicorn felt like she had went back a couple years in the past.

A moment later and it was over. She was standing before the door, with a hoof raised to knock on it.

Something in the back of mind whispered it's not too late to go back. But Twilight didn't even consider it. Her parents had done nothing to her; they deserved at least this much.

She knocked three times and stepped back.

A choir of voices rose from the inside, one of them telling the rest to remain seated, that he would get the door and that it was probably just some kids playing.

The door opened, revealing Night Light, her father.

For what seemed like an eternity, both unicorns stood in silence, the rest of the group a few meters behind to give them their privacy.

And then Twilight spoke.

"Um, Hi, Dad. I'm ba-" Night Light didn't let her finish and just hugged her tightly, as if a thousand years had passed instead of just one. Her daughter returned the gesture, knowing he was more a stallion of actions than of words.

When the hug ended, all he did was motion towards the interior of the house. Twilight nodded, entering and making her way towards the dining room, where two voices could be heard talking to each other.

"Really? That's great! Congratulations, Velvet!"

"Why thank you, Spike. Do you want more gems, or-" Twilight Velvet cut herself off when she saw her daughter entering the room. She made a move towards her, but someone else beat her to it.

"Twilight!" Something hugged her leg, and when she looked down, she saw a teary-faced Spike who clung to her leg like she was going to dissappear at any second. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry! I wanted to stay, I really did, but they were leaving and I didn't want to be alone but I believed you and always have just please don't leave again-"

"Shh, it's okay, Spike, I forgive you." Twilight lowered her head to give him a nuzzle. "I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have left you three all alone, it was selfish of me."

Another two joined in the embrace. "You had your reasons, though. We were worried, but not angry. Never angry." Velvet kissed her daughter's forehead. "But we can talk about that later. Right now we're happy you've come back."


Four cups of tea and a blanket later, the little family sat near the fireplace, huddled together and sharing recent news. Twilight learned that Velvet had recently published a succesful new book; that Night Light had been promoted, and that Spike had made more friends, although he still visited Apple Bloom and the rest in Ponyville every so often. In turn, Twilight told them about her residence in the Everfree, her friends and everything else. But though she liked the little moment she was having with her family, there was a question left unresolved.

"So, it's wonderful to know about all that you have been doing, but-" She took a sip of her tea and continued. "-where's Shining Armor?"

The atmosphere in the room changed. For a few seconds, nopony spoke, until Night Light broke the silence. "He's living in his own house now."

Twilight looked at him surprised. "He left?"

"It was partially our fault." Velvet lowered her ears. "We were angry at him, and he was more because we were taking your side. Me and Night Light said some very harsh things, he did too, and, well..." She took a moment to herself before continuing. "He took his things and left. He's living on the money he gets from the Guard now. We haven't talked for a while."

The purple unicorn stayed silent for a second and then sighed. "I'm going to see him tomorrow. There are a couple of things we need to talk about."

Spike looked at her questiongly,raising an. "You sure about that?"

Twilight returned the look with determination. "Yes. This argument has to end now. It's gone too far and shattered too many relationships. I started it, and now I'm going to end it." She then turned to her mother again. "Do you mind if I stay here for the night? I don't think I have anywhere else to sleep."

Velvet smiled. "You are always welcome here." She stood up. "I'll go prepare your room."

Her daughter returned the smile and focused her attention on the now almost empty cup.

Author's Note:

I said that I would upload it before the year ended.

And I did. 2017 is tomorrow but it still counts right?

Happy new Year!

Comments ( 22 )

Why is there a huge space of white near the end of your chapters.

Should be interesting with her going to see Shining Armor. Shall wait patiently

Personally, I was think Shining Armor would have spiraled into depression and alcoholism...but that's just me.

7833571 I write the chapter in QuickMemo+ and then copy and paste it here. Sometimes there's a huge space left, but it takes more effort to adjust everything so that it doesn't show than just leaving it be. If it bothers you that much, though, I'll take it off.

7833639 I considered it, but with someone as Cadance in the picture it just didn't fit. Besides, It'd make this story even more dramatic than it already is.

7833973 no no, just I was just wondering why it there.

7833978 Excuse me when that chapter of your comes up?

8009228 I'm writing it on whatever free hours I can spare. I'll try to get it out before the end of the month, though.

8009737 All right, We will waiting when it arrived.

I have a bad feeling about the next chapter.

8029519 Given that so far it doesn't seem that anypony from those present that night has had the intestinal fortitude to admit to her that Twilight was right about "Cadance" then, let alone telling her that the real Cadance has been rescued, that seems to be a fair summation of what we should be feeling...

You still alive?

8044774 Depends on what your definition of 'alive' is.

8045968 on fimfaction and maybe trying to write would be my guess

8047352 A bit on fimfiction, a bit on school, a bit helping my friend with her own story, and yes, another bit trying to write. There are bits of me all over town.

I like it. If you ever decide to come back to it, I’ll definitely be reading it.

"It was partially our fault." Velvet lowered her ears. "We were angry at him, and he was more because we were taking your side. Me and Night Light said some very harsh things, he did too, and, well..." She took a moment to herself before continuing. "He took his things and left. He's living on the money he gets from the Guard now. We haven't talked for a while."

What in Tartarus made Shining think his parents would side with him? He put his wedding before the safety of Canterlot, and his soon-to-be-wife before his baby sister. And hes NOT gonna blame that on the Brainwashing. Gets annoying when people keep on trying to say that. He wasn`t brainwashed UNTIL the wedding took place (When Chrysalis revealed herself).

9035975
While I agree he wasn't fully brainwashed until then, he was more than likely under a charm spell. That doesn't excuse his actions but it does explain them.

Next chapter?:twilightsheepish:

Login or register to comment