• Published 15th Sep 2015
  • 1,757 Views, 50 Comments

The Djinni's Tale - Snake Staff



An explorer finds an ancient lamp inside a ruined tomb. What secrets does it hold?

  • ...
5
 50
 1,757

Epilogue

Some few days later, at a manor house in the unicorn capital of Heavenspire, a letter arrived. A dignified-looking elder stallion received it. When he saw the seal upon the wax, his brow furrowed in irritation. Still, he reluctantly broke the scroll open and took in the content.

Dear Sparky,

So, a noble now, are you? Nice house in Heavenspire close to the palace and everything? Virgin lands to claim in the name of the crown, for the glory of the newest house? You’ve done pretty well for yourself, and for our family. No wonder Mom always liked you best.

No, I’m not going to ask you for money again. In fact, it’s pretty much the opposite. If you’re getting this letter, it means I’m gone and won’t be coming back. No more embarrassing the family, no more showing up unannounced in the middle of the night with strange mares in tow. I’m sure you’ll be relieved to hear it, though I’ll flatter myself to think you’ll still be a little sad to see me go. Whatever the case, I’m sure you’ll keep a stiff upper lip about it. Dignity of the family and honor of the house and all that. Dad would be proud.

Anyway, onto the main point of this. I’m sure it will take local clerks some time to check the status of my estate and make everything official, but to sum up my will in one brief statement: you get everything I owned. You deserve it. You were always willing to give me a hoof in between good finds. Even if you were, as I always suspected, just bribing me to keep quiet and well away from respectable society.

Tell your kids and grandkids that I’m gone, alright? I know you never liked me being around them, but they should at least know that their dear old uncle won’t be coming to any more family get-togethers. I always did like your children, by the way. Don’t know if this will matter, but seeing your foals sometimes made me regret that I never had any. But I bet I couldn’t have raised them half as well as you. They turned out great. They’ll go places. As my one last wager I’ll bet that even your distant descendants will go places, and that they’ll do our family proud. With you as a forebearer, how can they not?

And, one last thing: I love you. Take care.

For the last time, your big brother,
-Sunlight Sparkle

Comments ( 20 )

Sunlight Sparkle! I knew it! *eyes shift back and forth untruthfully*

Aww man, I was sure he was going to wish the entire world into the lamp or something, and that's where Celestia came from. Well, a thousand and one lifetimes is not enough to spend, I hope those two have a story with no end.

A wonderful read sir Snake Staff, I tilt my hat for you.

Well that as an interesting ride, I'm still confused if there was more to this than just a stallion how met a jinn. the conclusion was a nice surprise doe. Are you planing something more from this or is it just something that you don't have any intension of continuing?

6451469
I'm toying with the idea of doing a continuation sometime in the future. However, that's more a long-term project for the moment.

That was just wonderful, I really enjoyed this, I enjoyed it so much as soon as I'd finished I went through it again (always the sign of a good story). I loved the mystery around 'the stranger' I made sure I was paying close attention when he told Djinni his name and then didn't notice that he didn't... I don't know how you did that but it worked so well. The romance through the stroy felt so real, not so much about love but about time spent and memory's made together. Djinni is such a great character, I can just picture her in my head and hear her voice, the scene as she comes down the waterfall really made me smile. The imagery you used in the final chapter when they were talking and playing chess was brilliant!... I think just one more time though today, thank you for this wonderful story, I'm very interested in seeing how this continues if you do some time down the line... maybe a more detailed description of one of their adventures?

*bows*

This is amazing. Best romance I've read in a while, and it's with OCs! In fact, this is probably going onto my userpage as one of my top four. I might even edit it for you, once I have time, as there are a few typos here and there.

Wonderful story. It had a really good flow and interesting characters, though I wish more detail was given is some spots in the middle. It definitely left me wanting to know more about their story, both past and future.

A most excellent romance. Comes out at #12 on my favorite stories list.

But why can't he just wish for her to keep him company forever?

Absolutely stunning. One of the best Adventure/Romance fics of our time.

I had high hopes for you when I read Together Forever. I knew you had the potential to become a great writer. But I underestimated even my own expectations there. You have become a phenomenal writer, and I am honoured to follow you.

Well done. Very well done indeed.

6449483 THOUGH THE EXACTLY SAME THING !!!!!

6735849
Of course then she could just strip the magic from everyone else, leaving you the most powerful magic wielder by default. Then, since everyone else includes the ones moving the sun and moon, the entire planet perishes horribly in an ecological catastrophe.

Oops.

I reviewed this story!

My review can be found here.

I bet his brother is going to be surprised by his estate all that treasure from his adventures piling up over the years.

6736305 Assuming we're talking about the djinn in this story, though, that'd be wildly out of character. She doesn't want the world to be plunged into death, because she likes roaming it!
That said, the best way to make a djinn wish would probably be to be a lawyer, write up a contract and have the djinn follow the exact stipulations in accordance with the entire contract as it currently reads. Also, everything would need to be well defined - every single effing word, or else she'll find a way to twist something.
In regards to being the most powerful, I'd go with 'I wish to have more magical power than the most-magically powerful being alive or dead, in relation to his or her or its power at the time he or she or it was most powerful'.
... What is magical power, though... And would specifying being able to control it count as another wish?

@Snake Staff

I will say this about the story: From what I've seen of it, (I've yet to read it all the way through, by the way), It's written well and if given a chance, it could make for an animated special on YouTube. The fact that it involves OCs is a nice touch.

That said, I could tell what kind of characters I was going to get with this. We have a milquetoast explorer who's just a bit awkward. While he is capable of standing up for himself (and he does, at times), he finds himself all but beholden to a female djinn who embodies the "I have a heart and I care for those I love. but, I'm not going to show that because that would make me look weak. By the way, I totally don't consider you as someone I love, idiot." coupled with the "I'M IMMORTAL! THEREFORE, i KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING AND BECAUSE i'M IMMORTAL, I'M AUTOMATICALLY BETTER THAN ANY OF YOU MORTALS, IN EVERY WAY. I'm also above criticism, so even if you call me out for the things that I say or do, I don't have to listen to anything you say. Even if you are the one who discovered my lamp and became my master, I'm going to talk down to you like some random slave and you're just going to have to take it." archetype (genie or otherwise) that I've seen in various kinds of fiction, before.


I realize that this story has already been written and published. But, if such a story ever gets a continuation, the characterization of both these 2 needs serious work,

...was I the only one who got the impression that Djini is Celestia and that the final wish was one that set her free from imprisonment but still immortal, bound to the sun, and serving Ponies? It's possible the notion got into my head early on and colored how I read the story, but I feel as if that's where this took me. The first time I remember thinking about it is when she's described - "wings and horn are impossible" and such - followed by the sun being guided by a team of unicorns.

Of course that would offer zero explanation for Luna though the light of the moon being a reflection of the sun would be a good comparison to sisters...eh. It's what I was thinking at least, whether or not it was intentional.

So I assume this means that he used his final wish to join her for all eternity.

Good on ya sunlight good on ya :twilightsmile:

Beautiful story, both in the development of the protagonists' relationship with one another and the imagination of the worlds they go through.

Login or register to comment