• Published 7th May 2012
  • 4,067 Views, 249 Comments

Music Makes The Heart - TheVulpineHero1



Exploring a relationship between a somewhat different Vinyl Scratch and Octavia.

  • ...
9
 249
 4,067

Epilogue: Finished Symphony

-Finished Symphony [Hybrid's Soundtrack Edit]-
(Hybrid)


Dear Mom,
Sorry it took us a while to sit down and write a letter to you. It's been pretty hectic on our end, so we haven't had a whole bunch of time.

In the end, we managed to stay in Ponyville, but it was more complicated than we thought it was going to be. Turned out that the music hall was going bust, so that whole audition thing we were doing was pointless. Then it turned out that my manager was buying the place out, and Tavi somehow managed to swing things so she got a job at the new establishment. Seeing as Emi's got middle-management coming out of her ears, Tavi must've really impressed her. (She got hired as a musician, too, but I saw that one coming a mile away.)

Obviously, since it takes a while for a music hall to go out of business and get remodelled (they only announced liquidation a couple days ago), we've been focusing on the musician side of the contract. Pretty much the first thing Emi did was ship Tavi out of Ponyville to Manehattan, to study under the orchestra there and get some experience in genres that aren't classical. I tagged along, of course. Feels weird after we spent so much effort trying not to end up working in a different town, but it's only temp work. Tavi's got a job to go back to when she's home, and that's the important thing.

(…Honestly, I'm having a little trouble keeping up with her. She's pretty cool-headed most of the time, but every so often I'll say something, and she'll just go crazy and do three days worth of work in a couple of hours. It's insane. You can't even argue with her when she gets like that. I don't mind it, but I always get caught up trying to compete and end up wrecked the next day. Has she always been like this?)

As for me, I've been gigging a lot, and also helping out with the scouting for the new place. We picked up a pretty cool saxophonist we met busking one time, and signed her up. Her name's Brass Horn. Since the job we got for her wasn't ready yet, Tavi talked me into dragging her along to Manehattan with us, and we've had some pretty cool jam sessions. It's surprising what you can do with a cello, a sax and some decent decks. If we can snag a drummer and a vocalist, we might have a band on our hooves. There's a filly in Ponyville who might turn into a great singer, but her cutie mark hasn't shown yet. I know her sister, so I might see if she's interested when the time comes.

In terms of our relationship, I haven't had to use your advice yet. We're taking it slow, getting used to being close to each other. I worry sometimes about screwing everything up. Well, more than sometimes, I guess. A lot of the time. She's pretty important to me. Guess that's something I'll just have to deal with. I feel like, if I did, and we gave it enough time, we could take this relationship to the next level. Maybe even all the way. That's what I want, anyway.

Sorry. That got off topic. It'd be pretty cool if I could talk to you about this stuff, though. You probably know more about relationships than I do. I can understand if you'd rather not, though.

Anyway, sorry we didn't have time to write to you before now. We'll be in Manehattan a little while longer, but we're planning on stopping by Filly on the way back to Ponyville, so we'll see you then. Octavia's looking forward to it, and I am too, I guess. We hope you're well, and that everything's going smoothly on your end.

Sincerely,
Vinyl Scratch

P.S: I didn't actually get your name the first time round, and Tavi won't tell me. She says it's fine if I call you Mom. Feels a little weird to me, but I'll get used to it. You're cool with that, right?

Author's Note:

Well, there it is, folks. I didn't really want to hang around with the epilogue, since that implies the story has a definite end; as a slice of life piece, it really doesn't. This was just meant to be a very quiet, simple dénouement for a very quiet, simple story. There's one more thing I'd like to do with this Vinyl and Octavia, but I'll be making that into its own oneshot. I hope you've all enjoyed reading this story as much as I enjoyed writing it, and thanks for all the support.

Comments ( 30 )

Awww....it ended:fluttercry:

Anyway. I loved the whole story! The end was VERY well made...even though it was quite sudden.

keep up the good work! And looking forward to the oneshot:pinkiehappy:

by the way, I think...there were no notifications for the epilogue...at least I didn't get one.:rainbowhuh:

That bittersweet feeling you got everytime a good story ends... :pinkiesad2:

Well, I'll be waiting for your new one-shot. :pinkiehappy:

Just fantastic. I love your version of Vinyl and Octavia and this story was a lot of fun and went a long way towards restoring my interest in slice-of-life stories. Thanks for the awesome story and all the work that went into it. :moustache:

2162701
I didn't get one either.

Great story. I like how it wrapped up. Can't wait for the one-shot. I expect it to be just as great.

2162701 xD Fancy seeing you here, at the end of a story 100000000000 times better than mine, and longer too.

2156192
Oh man, chapter four. It's been like a million years since I looked over that chapter. :rainbowlaugh: I'll got back and correct that. Thanks for the catch.
2156212 & 2156801
How it will work is that, when Octavia gets as old as Octamom, she too will buy ridiculous dresses, but Vinyl will go and make Rarity eat those as well.
2157646
...he says, on the final 'real' chapter before the epilogue. :raritywink: Sorry about that. Glad to hear you enjoyed what was there, though.
2157824
And, yup. Can't wait for more? Scumbag TheVulpineHero1 ends the story one chapter later. :rainbowlaugh:
2161925
Considering what a jerk Vinyl can be, I find the words 'poor Vinyl' somewhat amusing. :twilightsmile:
2162701
Yeah, there was a weird happening where I published the chapter and then it unpublished itself right afterwards. I think that screwed up the notifications for the epilogue. I did make a tagged blog post about it, though, so hopefully everyone knows that the epilogue happened.
The ending was a little sudden, but at the same time, it was kind've meant to be. I didn't want it to be so much an ending as a resolution for the current problem. Since it was very much a slice of life story, I had to call it somewhere, and this just seemed like a logical place; with the epilogue, it's meant to be one of those 'and the adventure continues' kinda things. Maybe I didn't quite nail that as well as I wanted to, however. Ending stories isn't something I have a lot of practice in. Glad you enjoyed it, though! ^^
2162866
So far, my image for the oneshot is basically 'fan service, but the non-sexy kind'. Octamom reappears, a few brick jokes and foreshadowings finally pay out, and generally it will be a good time. Since I'm not really feeling Fear at the moment, I might end up doing the oneshot a little earlier than I thought I would. (Also, I sympathise with that bittersweet feel. It took me this long just to go back and answer the comments!)
2163129
Haha, there's no need to thank me. I had a blast doing it. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, too; it's always a good feeling to know your work is appreciated! :twilightsmile:
2164589
The one shot should be awesome. I'm looking forward to writing it. ^^
2178378
I think that may be somewhat of an overstatement. :ajsmug:

2190226

And, yup. Can't wait for more? Scumbag TheVulpineHero1 ends the story one chapter later.

Douche.

I don't know why... but I want to call you Vulpy.:twilightoops: Makes me think of a nickname for a Vulpix.:facehoof:

2190226 Maybe, maybe not, all I know is that I think it sucks. Take a look for yourself? Please? Anyways the story is highly overrated with 22+ likes and 0 dislikes, I almost feel bad for not making anything sense 2012... almost. Okay, I lied i'm very sorry :'(

You... You actually completed it. Well, it is a Slice of Life, so I'll be a hypocrite if I say that I've never ended my Slice of Life's abruptly. :twilightsheepish:
Good job. :twilightsmile:

This was a very good story. :twilightsmile:

This was a lovely epilogue for a lovely story. Vinyl writing a letter to OcatMom--and even addressing her as "Mom"--was both amusing and sweet.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the OctaScratch story of the fandom.

I have a weakness for good OctaScratch, and this is top-shelf indeed. It's a subtle, nuanced, and satisfying take on a popular ship. :twilightsmile:

2190400
Don't worry. This is a common urge throughout the internet. It usually gets shorted to either Vulpy, Hero or TVH, because those are far less tiring to type. (Also, on the subject of pokemon, Noctowl is best everything.)
2223747
I like how I actually tried to stop doing the +100 words thing partway through, and then most chapters after that ended up being around +1/200 words longer anyway.
In regards to smokey voices, well, the reader's assumption is the main point, so whatever you assumed is correct. I know people with voices that I would describe as smokey, but it's hard to describe them any other way. Glad you enjoyed it!
2242436
Well, I try! ^^
2330418
Well, I doubt it's as good as all that, but I do feel quite proud of it. Glad to have had you along for the ride, right to the very end. :twilightsmile:
2334429
I'm glad for that. I was kind've flailing around at the beginning, but as time went on the characters really grew on me, despite basically being OCs. I'm happy you enjoyed it.

2384171
I'm a Gen 1 kinda guy. Give me a fuckin' Charizard. Or Eevee. Or Articuno... I CAN'T FUCKING DECIDE!!!

2384190
Gen 1? Gotta be Nidoking or Wigglytuff. Vaporeon's pretty awesome, too. I have a soft spot for Beedrill, but not soft enough to actually use them.

I just now noticed this last chapter, and I'm glad I did. As per usual, I couldn't get enough of how you make Vinyl and Octavia seem like real musicians for a change. I love how Vinyl is practically adopting OctaMom, and I love how much you can tell that they love each other, even when the actions themselves are separated one layer by letter-format. This was a perfect note to end the story on, with enough fuel for things to come, but with a goodly sense of finality. I hope to someday write something as delightful as I've found this to be.

I never liked the Octavia/Vinyl Scratch romantic shipping until I read this story, but you've single handedly changed my mind about it. Don't get me wrong, it's nothing to do with their both being mares (AppleDash and Lyra/Bon-bon are my favorite shippings), but I just always preferred them as best friends/roommates. This was just....a masterpiece, though. I'm SO glad that thedarkprep told be about this story (shameless plug: you should check out her stories). GREAT fic! :pinkiehappy:

2395534

You don't have to promote me everywhere you go you know?
Not that I'm not thankful, but if you're going to plug things you should plug your own story. You know, like a rational person.

Also, told you it was an awesome story

2395589
Rationality is overrated. Besides, if I were rational, I'd have started my 12 page research paper instead of writing 130 pages of a fanfiction. :rainbowlaugh:

I'm not going to lie, this one of the best Vinyl/Octavia fics that I've had the pleasure of reading, and let me tell you this was an absolute pleasure of reading. The whole playing with Octavia's mane tic was original as far as I know and it really fit the characters.

Damn fine work.

Would it be at all possible to use this story for a fanfic reading for my channel on youtube?

Comment posted by musicbrony642 deleted Apr 29th, 2013

2386889
Haha. It's not really anything special. It started out as practice, and I just got attached enough to it and the characters to make it nice. I'm just glad that a few of the readers seem to have gotten attached to this story, too. As for the musicians thing, well, I try! I may not know much about the music industry, but it seems like I lucked through the whole thing without anything seeming jarringly unrealistic, for which I'm thankful. Glad you enjoyed it. ^^ (Also, sorry about that 'not notification for epilogue' thing. The chapter got published then unpublished straight after, which I think screwed with the notifications.)
2395534
Well, if I can help change someone's mind about a pairing, that's pretty good going by my reckoning. Glad you liked it! (Usually I don't tend to read a whole lot of fanfiction; generally I focus on output, since I'm slow enough at that already without further mortgaging my time. But eh. I might give her stories a shot sometime. Doesn't do to get totally out of touch with the rest of the stories on site.)
2395589
Hehe. You two seem like great friends. Thanks for the recommendation. :twilightsmile:
2445467
Glad to have entertained you. It was a pleasure to write, too.
2502049
Feel free. :twilightsmile: If you do, though, can I ask you to link to it in the video descriptions so that folks who want to drop in a comment can do so easily? I like hearing what people think.

I've read a lot of Vinyl/Octavia ships, and I have to say this is one of my favourites. You had me giggling the whole way through, Vinyl's layers of personality were great to read and watch unfold, Octavia's strength and fragility were great, and the supporting characters, all of them, but particularly Emi and Octamom, brought the story to life in a way I've rarely if ever enjoyed in the same way.
I'd argue this is one of the best romantic slice of life fanfictions I've read. A pleasure to read! :twilightsmile:

I originally wasn't going to comment, but I must say that once again, you've outdone yourself, dear! I always get excited when I see what people can do with fan-named ponies, and you've truly brought them to life. The story was beautiful and flowed perfectly. I was actually surprised at how well Octamom and Emi fit, how each character was so rich and developed. But then again, I shouldn't have been. Your work is impeccable, and I can't wait to read the rest of it!

You sir earned a like from me in the first 3 chapters, and then a fave on chapter 14. I agree with you that Octavia's mother as you have portrayed her is PRICELESS! I was laughing and admiring that scene for a good while.

I'm not even half way through this story, and I got to say it is one of the oddest Octa/Scratch stories I have ever read. It's not bad, mind you, it's actually pretty good. I enjoy the way you characterize these two, them being different than what I'm normally used to. I'm going to continue reading, and who knows, maybe this will become my new favorite story.

With reviews like these there isn't much that I wish to say that hasn't already been said.

Wow, two hundred words and I'm impressed.

Your narration and visual imagery is really rather well done. The dialogue is quick and to the point--as it needs to be--and it does well being just the bare minimum. Very interesting situation too, I like this

Why do people still try to write shipping when they have you to contend with :applejackunsure:

Anyway, like I said previously, you put feeling into these tiny chapters that some struggle to fit in five. The thought occurred to me that you could probably write one damn fine full length fic if you wanted.

Everything said in those two reviews I agree with completely. You said more in your first two chapters; which had a total of three hundred words Than most people can say in four thousand. Many people look down upon the short, and to the point writing style, but you have mastered it. You had minimal errors, your characterization was amazing, especially considering your low word count, the plot line was phenomenal, and this fic had all the witty humor of something written by Racke. I bestow upon you TOPTIER; I can award you no higher honor.
http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/415809/tiered-bookshelves

Oh wow, I had such a blast...! Oh boy. It's a shame you're not around anymore, really.

When I started reading, I was... worried, I suppose. I tend to take reeeaaally short chapters as a bad sign in regards to the quality of a story. You, my fine author, proved me oh so wrong! This wonderful piece just got better and better with each and every passing chapter. Wow.

Thank you so much!

Incredible story with fantastic and hilarious writing at times. Definitely worth more than one read!

Login or register to comment