• Published 7th May 2012
  • 4,066 Views, 249 Comments

Music Makes The Heart - TheVulpineHero1



Exploring a relationship between a somewhat different Vinyl Scratch and Octavia.

  • ...
9
 249
 4,066

11) Let Them Talk

-Let Them Talk-
(Hugh Laurie)


For perhaps only the third time in her life, Octavia felt she'd provided a concert to be remembered. Certainly, the audience were talking about it. Nothing good, but they were talking. As she'd played, two hundred snooty eyebrows had been raised, and a great many of them had not yet deigned to descend to their rightful places; it was a stir, if nothing else. As the maestro tried desperately to manage the outrage of the patrons, she retreated backstage, as did most of the musicians (giving her dirty looks as they did).

"You're crazy," Vinyl greeted her coolly, although she was all but glowing. "I didn't think you'd wear them on stage."

Octavia raised her hoof self-consciously to the glasses, pushed them a little further up her nose. They kept slipping. Not surprisingly, given the nervous sweat she'd broken out into. Still, she couldn't help grinning; she wondered if this was how an athlete felt after winning a race.

"I didn't think you'd give them to me, in all honesty," she replied after a second's worth of thought. "How was the concert?"

"Worst I've ever seen. You were fantastic. Made the rest of the orchestra look like idiots," Vinyl smirked, and took a quick step forwards before she caught herself; a less reserved pony would have broken into a skip.

"Oho. I wondered why the audience were chattering so. Well, I've no doubt the maestro would like to have some words with me, so why don't we escape before he gets around to it?"

Giggling, she led the way, dodging adroitly between the dazed music hall staff who were trying to figure out what had gone so drastically wrong. Vinyl followed her hoofstep for hoofstep, never more than a quarter second behind her, until they finally burst from the softly lit building into the cool, fresh night air. Even from the side exit, they could hear the hum of voices declaiming 'that upstart pony in the purple glasses'; cautiously, they skirted around the building to the back, to lie low until the crowds had dispersed. Up above them, the stars were already peering out curiously from the blanket of the night sky.

There, Octavia gave herself over to a great, shuddering bout of laughter, the first she'd had in a long while. There wasn't much opportunity to laugh, in the bowstring-tight atmosphere of a struggling music hall. Wasn't much room to improvise, either; unity across the orchestra was paramount. She hadn't realised it, but she was sick of keying her own musical aspirations to those of everyone around her, of being afraid to experiment and grow faster than her friends.

She remembered, then, when she first held the cello, the way the golden sound escaped from it and enveloped her, comforted her in her hour of need. Her father had disappeared the week before; he'd been a wayward musician that charmed her mother's innocent tastes. Music, when she first found it, had been a comfort, a friend. Only later did it become work, effort, toil, a job.

Vinyl watched her, with a smile as opposed to a smirk. Every few seconds, she would take an agitated step forward, a nervous canter to the side, as if she might break into dance or song.

Eventually, her laughter broke, and Octavia wiped her her eyes with the back of her hoof. "Oh, Vinyl, you have gotten me into some trouble. However will I introduce you to my mother?"

"I could say the same to you," Vinyl said huskily, and sat down beside her.

"Oh? Why, am I not respectable enough to meet your parents?" Octavia teased gently.

"Other way around," Vinyl smirked, and let it drop. "You look like an idiot in those glasses."

"Like you didn't."

"Usually, people say I look scary without them. Red eyes, take warning," Vinyl replied, and Octavia could just hear the note of wistfulness there. The night breeze trickled down her back, and she realised how cold it was.

Quietly (and with not a little nervousness), she leaned closer to Vinyl, to her warmth. She was gratified when after a moment, Vinyl leaned back.

"I always wondered why you were so concerned about these," the earth pony said, and lifted the glasses up to rest on her forehead. "I really didn't think you'd give them to me."

"I wasn't going to. But I remembered," Vinyl sighed, and Octavia, pressed into her side, felt her deflate as she did. "When I left to stop distracting you, you came looking for me."

"Go on," Octavia urged when she felt her stop, sensed the words drying up on the tip of Vinyl's tongue.

"...To give my glasses away was a risk. But, I thought, maybe for you, it was worth it," the unicorn went, and if it weren't so very dark, Octavia could have sworn she saw the first little tinges of a blush. She pressed herself a little closer; Vinyl was warmer than she had expected her to be.

"About the 'lovers' thing," she began after a moment, and felt Vinyl rearranged herself nervously.

"I meant to say girlfriend. It came out wrong."

"I was thinking, that, well...That is to say...It might not be so bad. Give it a while, and we might see."

"You're blushing," Vinyl told her coolly. She was smiling.

"So are you!" Octavia pouted.

"And?"

Octavia sighed and shook her head. She didn't move away. When she was a filly, she hadn't even expected to date another mare, never mind one so exasperating. But all the best things in life- whether it was cooking, reading, or music- needed a little work, a little understanding. And, of course, to be played by ear once in a while. Life's boring when you can't deviate from the notes on the sheet.

"Octavia?" Vinyl said after a while.

"Yes?" she replied, and felt her eyelids droop. She was beginning to feel sleepy.

"I've never heard you laugh like that before. You sounded really...goofy," Vinyl said. "I really liked it."

"One of these days, Vinyl Scratch, I shall teach you how to give a compliment without sounding like a jerk, and you will thank me for it," she replied, and put her head on Vinyl's shoulder. "Just you wait."


"Hey, Octavia! Nice performance yesterday. Maestro wants to see you. Oh! And you brought your weird friend!" the security guard smiled.

"She's not weird, and she's not my friend," Octavia smiled.

"We're partners," Vinyl finished smokily, walking a few steps behind her. "But thanks. I was impressed with her, too."

He watched them go, and shrugged. He should've known.