• Published 7th May 2012
  • 4,066 Views, 249 Comments

Music Makes The Heart - TheVulpineHero1



Exploring a relationship between a somewhat different Vinyl Scratch and Octavia.

  • ...
9
 249
 4,066

14) Three Is Family

-Three [3] Is Family-
(Dana Dawson)


The house that Octavia's mother led them to was not large, like the vast manses of aristocrats or even Vinyl's own empty abode, but was big enough to speak of a comfortable existence. Here and there were hung small baskets of hanging flowers, filled with buttery yellows, carrying all the signs of an enthusiastic but untalented gardener. Likewise, the front garden had been lavished plentifully with effort, although there were areas where the pattern of flowers changed conspicuously, as if some hungry pony had been desperate for a snack. In some places, mercifully few, the clean white plaster of the walls had been worn away to reveal a core of red brick. One of the windows had a vaguely pegasus-shaped hole in it.

"I see you've not had chance to put any columns or arches in yet," Octavia remarked dryly, casting an eye about the place. "But daffodils, mother? Really? What happened to that beautiful arrangement of roses and carnations I left you with?"

"Oh, hush. Just because you've got a bit of a green hoof, Octavia, doesn't mean everypony does. Some ponies have to settle for the type of flower that doesn't die quite so easily," her mother replied good-naturedly. "Besides, I have always maintained that daffodils are quite the equal of roses in the flavour department."

"That's because you can cook," Octavia grumbled. "Raw, they're like chewing earwax."

Vinyl didn't say much of anything, but listened intently. From the words that were spoken, she scooped out the information: good at gardening. Doesn't like daffodils raw. Can't cook. She filed it away in her brain for later, the way she did with half-made melodies and potential hooks.

"Vinyl? You seem like you're miles away. Come on. I know my mother's attempts at gardening are...eye-catching, but generally houses are best enjoyed from the inside," Octavia called.

"You got witty all of a sudden," Vinyl answered with studied nonchalance, and followed.

"There truly is nothing like a home field advantage, I suppose. Besides, you like it."

"Mm."

On the inside, the house was of a different character. The wallpaper was chosen with care, discreet and subtle patterns running along the walls. Shelves were dotted around with the randomness that only comes with planning, great slabs of mahogany holding up books as thick as a foreleg. There were loveseats in every room, tucked away into corners as if in case of emergency; they were cushioned in red, backed with wicker, as much art as furniture. Octavia gave a gusty, wistful sigh. This was the house she had grown up in, so long ago, where she had played and slept and lived.

"I kept your room exactly how you left it, dear, against my better judgement," Octavia's mother said, removing 'The Hat', as Vinyl had already begun to think of it, and depositing it on a well hidden hat stand. It rested upon it like the bloom of a great, carnivorous flower, and there was something inherently ridiculous about the whole thing.

"Oh dear. I suppose I'd best clean it out, if we're going to be staying the night. There are probably things growing in there that would be foolish to spend the evening with," Octavia deadpanned.

"Should I help?" Vinyl asked, although the real message was clear: can I get out of being alone with your mom?

"Aha, well, ahem, no. I wasn't the cleanliest of ponies as a teenager, and I wouldn't like you to see the result. Besides, I have a few things I'd like to check on, in privacy if possible," the earth pony replied, with the faintest hints of a blush. Without explaining further, she forged on up the stairs and disappeared from sight, nothing more than a set of hoofsteps on the floorboards above.

Vinyl turned to look at Octavia's mother, to size her up without The Hat to trap her eye. She was the spitting image of an older Octavia, but had a pronounced streak of pink in her mane that the musician lacked. She watched Vinyl with undisguised interest. Neither of them spoke for quite some time.

"So, Velour-"

"Vinyl."

"Yes, yes. I knew it had something to do with chairs. Anyway, you seem to me to be a very practical kind of pony. You don't mind if I cut to the chase, as it were?" the mare asked, with all the sweetness of an ageing matriarch. Vinyl narrowed her eyes. She was familiar with that little trick. It was one of those questions with no right answer. If you protested, you weren't a practical pony, lost points in whatever little test they were about to put you through. If you didn't, you were a pushover, and lost points anyway. In lieu of any better solution, the DJ simply shrugged.

"Well, I wanted to ask you just how far you'd gotten with my daughter," Octavia's mother said. The room suddenly became tense in a way that no amount of soft loveseats and mahogany bookshelves could ever alleviate. A few seconds passed where the only sound was Octavia dropping something upstairs.

"So, she told you in her letter, huh?" Vinyl replied, and nudged her temple. Her postured stiffened.

"No, but I am her mother. We tend to pick up on these things," she explained, not unkindly. "Are you going to answer the question?"

Vinyl considered it. She still felt very much as if she was being tested, being asked to prove something. It wasn't a sensation she liked. It set her hackles rising, so to speak. Worse was the fact that she was currently losing whatever little contest was going on. Her opponent already knew stuff about her, including the relationship with Octavia, but all Vinyl knew about her was that she had a strange taste in hats and couldn't garden to save her life. Vinyl Scratch was not used to not having the edge in a conversation. She wanted it back.

Raising her chin, flaring her nostrils, staring straight into the eyes of the enemy, Vinyl said, in a tone so deliberate that there could be no mistaking her implication, "She snores."

Octavia's mother clopped her hooves together. "Oh, wonderful! I suppose I don't have to tell you to use protection, but between you and me, dear, a little mouthwash before and afterwards never hurt anypony-"

"W...what?" Vinyl spat. Somewhere in the back of her head, a little voice whispered: She didn't miss a beat.

"Oh, don't look at me like that, Miss Vinyl. I gave birth to the mare you're kissing, so it isn't as though I don't know the mechanics. From one mare to another, I got up to more than my fair share of horseplay in my college days. I assure you, anything you girls have done, I did backwards in rollerskates," she said conversationally. She didn't even blush.

"I..was just kidding about having slept with her," Vinyl said finally, after finding her tongue. It appeared to have tried to escape to her knees.

"Oh, really? That's a pity," Octavia's mother said, and as far as Vinyl could tell, she absolutely meant it. "Oh well. There's plenty of time. I wasn't kidding about the mouthwash, by the way. When my daughter comes down tomorrow and kisses me on the cheek before she goes to audition, I expect her breath to be minty fresh, regardless of what you two have been up to."

Vinyl sighed. There were times to make a stand, and there were times to accept that somepony had you beat. "Yes ma'am."

She was saved from further embarrassment by Octavia's hoofsteps descending the stairs. "Well, the room's tolerable. A few things have gone missing, though," she called.

"Oh, those magazines under your bed? I was just about to tell Vinyl about those. You wouldn't believe the things she was looking at, dear," Octavia's mom winked.

"I bet I wouldn't. I'll carry our stuff up," Vinyl replied, and disappeared rather sharply to the second floor. Octavia watched her go past, and shrugged. Better to put it down to Vinyl just being Vinyl.

"I like your friend, Octavia," her mother said, very calmly. "She's...gutsy."

"That's...um, well-described. Has she been giving you trouble?" she asked, brow creasing. "She means well, but she's bad at phrasing it."

"Trouble? Oh, no. She's not caused any trouble for me in the slightest," her mother smiled, plopping down on the loveseat. "In fact, it's quite the opposite..."


A/N: Vinyl = pwn'd. This was so. Much. Fun. Octavia's mom is now my favouritest pony forever.