• Published 27th Jan 2015
  • 4,246 Views, 52 Comments

A New Chance - Dreagknight-LostWriter



Sunset Shimmer gets a surprise visit from Twilight Sparkle, but Twilight gives her a even more surprising news, she has a chance to study under a Princess again......but its not Princess Celestia.

  • ...
9
 52
 4,246

Princess Luna

"Now Sunset, let us ask you the question from our own mouth," Luna said as she sat down, "How would you like to take up the chance to be a student under me?"

"I would love to," Sunset said with a wary smile.

"Tis wonderful!” Luna said happily.

"But...I’m afraid I will have to decline your offer," Sunset said, looking away.

This caught Luna by surprise, as she was sure that Sunset would be happy with this offer.

"Why is that?" Luna asked. Luna hope it wasn't the fact that Sunset wanted Celestia to be her mentor and not her.

"Because I don't deserve it," Sunset said painfully.

Luna was a little relieved to hear that.

"Is it because of what you have done?" Luna asked, looking Sunset over.

Sunset only nodded her head as she sat down and looked at the floor.

"I see."

Sunset looked up at Luna. "Princess Luna, there are other ponies who would be more deserving of being your apprentice then me."

Luna could see the hurt in Sunset’s eyes as she spoke those words.

"Tell us why you think this," Luna said, hoping to find a way to convince her otherwise.

Sunset looked away from Luna and bit her lower lip.

"I defied Princess Celestia, ran away to another world, tormented the people there, stole Twilight's crown, and even tried to kill her and her friends, all out of bitter anger and greed." Sunset finished, feeling all the more regretful as she keep reminding herself of what she had done.

As Sunset told of everything she had done, Luna was reminded of herself the night before her banishment.

"Princess Luna, why did you want to give me another chance?" Sunset asked, curious as to why Luna even suggested the idea in the first place.

Luna looked at Sunset, surprised: she had not been expecting a question like this to be asked.

"Sunset, you have it all wrong. I am not giving you another chance, I am giving you a new chance. A chance to start over and make amends with yourself."

It was Sunset’s turn to look surprised. "You want to give me a new chance? Why?"

Luna got up and walked towards Sunset. "It is because you remind me of...me. When I was Nightmare Moon."

"I do?" Sunset asked, confused.

"Yes. I was driven by jealousy of my sister's day, and I let anger grasp my heart and run cold. I fought Celestia until she use the elements to banish me to my moon."

"Like how I let greed take control of me," Sunset said in a shallow voice as Luna looked at her.

"That is correct, and when I came back as Nightmare Moon I wanted to cast the world into eternal night," Luna said, walking around Sunset in a circle, "But Sunset, do you know what the end result would have been if I had succeeded with in bringing about my eternal night?"

Sunset thought about that. What would the full effect have been if the world was stuck in eternal darkness?

"Death," Luna said coldly.

"Death?" Sunset said, surprised by that word.

"Yes, death. I love my night and all the stars in it, but I know that my night can kill," Luna said, looking at sunset with hurt in her eyes, "If my night had gone on for eternity, plant life would begin to die, and my cold night would bring forth a new ice age."

Sunset started to grasp the facts as Luna spoke, and Sunset saw just how painful it was for Luna to come to terms with all of this.

"I am ever grateful for Twilight and her friends for using the elements on me, and for allowing me to reunite with Celestia after a thousand year alone on the moon," Luna said, stopping in front of Sunset.

"Twilight saved both of us from our own hatred," Sunset said in a low voice.

"Indeed she did," Luna said with a smile, "Sunset, do you really believe you do not deserve a new chance, after everything I have told you?"

Sunset could see why Luna had told her this; to show that even she had made the same mistake, and yet was able to move on.

"I still feel as though I don't deserve it, but I understand what you're trying to tell me," Sunset said with a smile.

"You do?" Luna said, sitting down, looking at Sunset with a whole new understanding, "I see. Then I assume you still want to decline my offer."

Sunset shook her head and looked at Luna. "I still have one more question. If I do become your student, will I be allowed to return to the other world of my own free will?"

Luna gave Sunset a warm smile. "I don't see why not. Twilight said she can have the portal open at any given time."

"Then I would love to accept your offer and become your student," Sunset said, doubt still lingering in her voice.

Luna cocked her head to the side a little and looked at Sunset, studying her. Sunset felt a small chill run down her spine as Luna looked at her. Luna then gave her a small smile, replacing her calculative stare with warm comfort.

"I am glad to hear that, but I would like you to stay in Equestria for a few days. Just long enough for me to see how far you were in Celestia’s teachings," Luna said, getting up and walking to her door, "Until then, I would like you to ask Twilight Sparkle if you can stay with her. If you like, I could also find you a place around Canterlot to stay."

"No, I think I will ask Twilight. I’d rather spend time around a friend then by myself," Sunset said, getting up and walking to the door, "Thank you, Princess Luna, for giving me a chance to start over." Sunset then gave a small bow before leaving.

Sunset trotted down the corridor, her mind still going back to how Luna looked at her. The way Luna looked at me was like she was searching for something, or trying to see through me. Maybe Luna doesn't trust me at all, but she is willing to give me a chance and see how I turn out.

"Sunset!" Twilight called out when Sunset came into view.

Sunset looked over to see the purple alicorn calling her over.

"So how did your discussion with Princess Luna go?" Twilight asked, walking next to Sunset.

"It went okay, I guess. Luna convinced me to take up her offer, but she wants me to stay in Equestria for a few days," Sunset answered.

"She did? Where will you be staying?" Twilight asked.

"I was hoping I could stay with you for the time being, since I don't have my own place or any other friend I could go to," Sunset said.

"I don't mind. Maybe we could invite the other girls over and have a sleepover, so they can get to know you a little more," Twilight said, already going through her mind on what she would do in another sleepover party, "Let’s get back to Ponyville, I want to pick up a couple of things before inviting the girls over. This is going to be so much fun!" she added cheerfully, leading Sunset back out to where her chariot awaited.

Meanwhile, back in Luna's chambers

"So Tia, what do you think about Sunset?" Luna asked.

"Sunset has come a long way since the last time I’ve seen her," Celestia answered.

"And what about that alicorn they summoned in the other world? Do you think that she may also represent an Element of Harmony?" Luna asked, sitting down.

"I don't know. There've only been six elements, so a seventh one would be new. Though Sunset could also represent something new, something that's not part of the Elements of Harmony but instead something that can help strengthen it. Or it could be some completely foreign concept that we know nothing about yet," Celestia said. "What do you think?"

"I don't know myself, but I do know Sunset has not forgiven herself yet. There is still darkness that covers her heart, darkness that still pains her every time she thinks about what she has done," Luna said, looking at Celestia, "Sunset is still fighting her own nightmares, but I think I can help her."

"The same way you were able to help yourself?" Celestia asked.

"Yes, and I will be with her every step of the way, just like you were with me," Luna said with a smile on her face.

"I’m sure you will be," Celestia said, nuzzling her sister, "How long will you give Sunset before helping her?"

"Two weeks. That should be sufficient time for Sunset to settle in. I will let her know three days in advance what I have planned for her." Luna said.

"Two weeks? Are you sure that's enough time for her?" Celestia asked.

"I hope so." Luna said.

"Well, if you ever need any help, I'm always here for you," Celestia said, getting up to leave.

"I know you are, and I thank you for that," Luna said before Celestia exited her chambers.

Author's Note:

This may be the end of A New Chance, but not the story itself. I will have the sequal out soon, but I want to release my new story. You guys can either follow me or keep this story fav, I will post a blog and an update on this story for when the sequal gets released.

Comments ( 15 )

Awesome, love when an author updates a story with sequal info. Looking forward to it! :pinkiehappy:

I have also been enjoying this story. Please keep it going!

5618338 I think it's doable but another option is Tk a stick

5618360
5618338
Let say that that sunset have a pen that work on her phone if I have to will go in and change it to that. Would that help?

5618391 Here's what i think. it stays as is but the next time she tries to use it and get frustrated she'll remember the pen.

THIS NEEDS A SEQUEL!

5619873 It will I just haven't fully thought of the plot yet. This is part 1 of 3 I hope

5619906 GREAT!

Do you need help?

5620244 naw my only problem is dialogue plus I've been focus on my new story hopefully it be out soon once it proofread

5620252 Really? I thought description was the hardest part.

5620292 for me it always dialogue only cause my brain keep trying to add more or less then I fizzle out

Not a bad story, and I like the idea of Luna taking on Sunset as a student. I'm also glad I'm not the only writer to notice the similarities between the two.

That said, I think you could use a proofreader.

Comment posted by 0_0 deleted Apr 9th, 2015

"I defied Princess Celestia, ran away to another world, tormented the people there, stole Twilight's crown, and even tried to kill her and her friends, all out of bitter anger and greed." Sunset finished, feeling all the more regretful as she keep reminding herself of what she had done.

You think that’s ruff? She has been the mare in the moon, aka NIGHTMARE MOON!

Login or register to comment