• Published 5th Dec 2014
  • 2,677 Views, 51 Comments

What a Prince Does - Ixtaek



Applejack gains an unwanted admirer after the disaster of the Grand Galloping Gala.

  • ...
4
 51
 2,677

Once Upon a Time

The road to Canterlot was oddly dusty as Applejack rushed along it, her hooves stirring up small clouds of dirt. The Pegasus ponies were supposed to have had a storm yesterday, but it had been delayed due to two ponies hurting their wings in a collision. The heat made everything hazy, but Applejack could vaguely see a white figure far down the path.

“Blueblood!”

He didn’t turn. He was too far away, and couldn’t hear her. She pushed herself, trying to close the gap. “Blueblood! Wait!”

It did no good. Surely by now he could hear her, but he didn’t turn, didn’t acknowledge her. Applejack felt a mix of anger and despair wash over her, and poured all her energy into running. She heard voices from above; the Pegasus were assembling the clouds to make up for the storm. The darkening skies made seeing the white stallion easier against the dirt road, but the ensuing rain would turn them into slush. She had to reach him now, or it would be too late. Taking a final gulp of air, she shouted his name one more time, launching herself at him to close the last few feet.

“Blueblooooood!”

The stallion stopped and turned to look at her. Applejack was panting, her sides heaving to draw in enough air. The gathering storm clouds made the air seem heavy, unbreathable… she looked him in the face, and his cool expression made her suddenly ashamed of her dirty coat and messy mane.

“Ye… y’cain’t go… y’just cain’t… not laike this…”

The rain began falling from the clouds above, damping the swirling dust around her. “Y’cain’t just run away… Big Macintosh didn’t mean… nothing by what he… said…”

“I left because I did not wish to be a burden on your family.” Something in his voice was different, and Applejack realized it wasn’t just his voice. His horn, which had been just a stump before, was now fully regrown, as if by magic. “I am a Prince, and your family is not exactly equipt to put up with a pony of my personage.”

Applejack stared at him, flabbergasted. She still couldn’t seem to catch her breath. “What the hay are y’talkin’ about? Are y’sayin’ we’re too poor for ya?!”

Blueblood looked away. “It’s better if you tell yourself that, La- Applejack.”

“That ain’t… that ain’t what this is about… is it…?”

Blueblood lowered his head, and she could see droplets running down his snout, though she wasn’t sure if it were tears or rain. “I remember now… I remember who I was. Who I am. And I do not like it.” He looked at her. “I will always remember my stay here as a happy time… one I do not want to sully with my true nature. So I decided to leave while I could still contain it.”

“Hogwash!” Applejack took a step closer. “Yer runnin’ away cuz yer scared! Yer scared of bein’ with ponies who ya care about and who care about ya and then makin’ em upset and them hatin’ ya!” She took a huge gulp of air. Why couldn’t she see him properly? The rain must be getting in her eyes. “Ah know it! Ah know because Ah… Ah’m scared too. Ah’m scare to lose the ponies Ah care about… Granny Smith… Big Macintosh… Apple Bloom… mah friends…” The rain was blowing at her back, making her sopping wet mane billow towards him. “… and you, Blueblood… Ah’m scared t’lose you.”

Blueblood stared at her for a moment. Her coat covered in wet dust, hooves muddy, mane awry, sides heaving as she struggled to catch her breath. Her hat had flown off as she chased him, and she looked oddly vulnerable without it. “Yer family, Blueblood. Apples… stick together…”

He lifted one of her muddy hooves and kissed it delicately. “A lady should not be out in this weather. Allow me to escort you home.”

“Will y’stay?”

Blueblood did not answer right away, but unraveled the knapsack he was carrying and magicked it over her head to block the downpour. Its contents, his old suit he had been wearing, spilled out onto the muddy ground, and he made no move to collect them. “I believe I told your sister and her friends I would not give up on my quest so long as they did not give up on theirs. Until they have suddenly decided that they don’t want cutie marks, I must keep my word and remain here.”

“That’ll never happen, y’know. They’re right determined.”

“Well then I guess I’ll be here for a very long time.” He smiled down at her. “After all, keeping his word is part of what a prince does.”

Author's Note:

Yay it's over woo. If you actually read all this, yay thank you. You're awesome and deserve to have a nice day. So does everyone who didn't read till the end. So do people who have not read any of the story. Everyone does.

Thank you for your time!

Comments ( 13 )

I read this on DeviantArt. This is one of the very few stories I have read there. I'm glad to see it here.:pinkiehappy:

This honestly looks interesting. I will read it when I am less dead.

5347796 that wasn't condescending. Or insulting. That was giving reasons as to why an author would make the chapters at that length. It was constructive criticism. It was giving them a reason to take some more time on each chapter and write more. IF I had wanted to be insulting... They would never want to write again. As It was I was giving my opinion and trying to be helpful when I see something that can be improved. I was keeping in mind that they are trying to improve. That is why I comment on new stories with new authors. When I see potential, I do my best to help in any way I can. But then you came here and decided that I wasn't NICE enough about it. I was matter of fact in how I said it, and usually I don't read stories that go under 1000 word chapters. I am with this one. Because again I saw potential. Now, please bear that in mind in the future instead of becoming inflammatory. Thanks. Hopefully we can put this behind us and try to help the newbie together?

It doesn't really feel complete. It was too rushed, and too many unanswered questions. Why didn't Celestia or Luna notice he was mostly missing while wandering around Canterlot, or when he left for Ponyville? That was a long time for them not to give a * what happened to him, and I find that odd.

You didn't mess up enough for a dislike, but there's too many problems for me to give it a like, sorry. Good luck on your next story, though! If you ever need advice or someone to go over something, I might be able to help if I have the time.

This is an interesting story, you have some great ideas and I like that you choose Applejack, as she is pretty much Rarity's opposite. I think you should take more time with it though, perhaps create longer chapters which are more in depth, instead of just trying to get to the climax a.s.a.p. Perhaps write one chapter per week, which is long and keeps us wanting more. It's a decent idea though so I will fave and follow as I think you have potential :)

Interesting. I would have thought though that Blueblood wold have regained is memories by end. Good job writing this story.

Ahh, I remember this story! It goes fast alright, but I like to think of it as short and sweet. :pinkiesmile:

This was a really good story, I hope we can see a continuation for this, but until then I will watch and wait :pinkiehappy:

I love this SOOO much!:heart: You get a like!

I do feel it was a bit rushed, but, since the whole thing was rushed, it was oddly natural. To me, at least.

5456444 because if you explain a characters thoughts motives feelings it makes a reader attach to a story better.

This story is very sweet!

My only critique is the part where Blueblood was wandering the castle and no body paid him any attention even though he was injured.

A bit rushed, but I loved it.

Login or register to comment