• Published 5th Dec 2014
  • 2,677 Views, 51 Comments

What a Prince Does - Ixtaek



Applejack gains an unwanted admirer after the disaster of the Grand Galloping Gala.

  • ...
4
 51
 2,677

The Guardian

She was back at the Gala, amid the falling pillars and crazed animals. She saw the flock of birds swooping around a still, red form and rushed towards them, shouting Macintosh’s name.

“Sis! Help!”

She turned just in time to see them mob Apple Bloom. When had she gotten there?! Applejack attacked the birds, using her hooves and even teeth in a vain attempt to get them off, but it was hopeless. By the time the birds flew away, Apple Bloom was gone. So was Macintosh. She had lost them both!

“Give ‘em back!” she shouted at the birds circling above. “Give back mah family!!!” The room began to shake as the ceiling collapsed…

“Wake up! Miss Applejack, wake up!” Applejack’s eyes shot open to reveal Blueblood. He had been shaking her, and quickly removed his hoof from her shoulder. “I… I apologize for entering your room without permission, but I could hear you screaming across the hall and was concerned that…”

What happened next surprised them both. Applejack wrapped her hooves around him, hugging him tightly. It was partially to shut him up, but part her needing to cling to something real, something comforting. Blueblood was flustered but hugged her back awkwardly, trying to balance on his hind legs. Unfortunately his sense of balance was bad, and he crashed to the floor, dragging the unwitting Applejack down with him.

“Are… are you alright, Miss Applejack?”

“Ah’m fine, jist knocked my head on the floor. Ah’ll live!” She laughed as he tried to right himself but became entangled in the quilt that she had pulled to the floor. He grinned sheepishly as she began helping him pull it off.

“What’s goin’ on in here?”

The voice made them both jump. Big Macintosh was standing in the doorway, his face calm except for a single raised eyebrow.

“Oh, uh, Big Macintosh! Didn’t hear ya come in. I was jist havin’ a nightmare an’ Blueblood was checkin’ up on me.” Applejack rubbed her head where she hit the floor, smiling contritely at her brother. Macintosh looked at Blueblood sharply.

“Then Ah reckon Blueblood was jist leavin’.”

Blueblood had finally unraveled himself and stood, nodding meekly at them both. “Good night, Miss Applejack… Big Macintosh…” He hurried past him to his own room. Big Macintosh glared as he trotted past.

“Was that really necessary, Big Macintosh? He didn’t do nothin’ wrong!”

Big Macintosh looked at her levelly. “T’ain’t proper for a stallion o’ his age t’ be sneakin’ into a filly’s room at night.”

“I ain’t a filly, Macintosh! And Blueblood was only concerned fer mah safety wuz all!”

Macintosh frowned. “Ah believe ya, Applejack. Ah’m only concerned fer yer safety too.” He turned and left, telling her good night, and Applejack tossed the quilt back up on her bed. She was irritated at Big Macintosh’s lack of trust in her, but it wasn’t like being angry was going to change his mind. Better to worry about it in the morning, after she’d had some sleep to clear her head.

Author's Note:

I wish I had a protective older brother. I am the oldest, and I'm a girl, and my younger siblings have never had a significant other, so I've never even gotten to BE the protective older brother, and I probably never will be. Barring weird beams from space turning me into a guy.