• Published 17th Nov 2014
  • 4,951 Views, 231 Comments

An Honest Life - Bluegrass Brooke



Honesty meant the world to Flim, something Flam could never see. On his own for the first time in years, Flim fights to prove his sincerity. A chance encounter with Applejack leads to a surprising offer. Could this be the opportunity he needs?

  • ...
5
 231
 4,951

Epilogue

Flim used to consider himself a rational pony who would take the time to think through a situation before acting. Now he was certain that he was the most idiotic, spur of the moment stallion in all of Equestria. Not only had he given up a perfectly good job at Sweet Apple Acres to track down a brother who probably did not want to see him, but he had given up the chance to date Applejack. Though she promised to wait for him, Flim could not stanch the sinking fear that he would never return to her. There was the distinct and real possibility he would not make it out of this alive, but he had to try, for Flam's sake.

So here he stood, on the crest overlooking Las Pegasus, or as his mother so affectionately referred to it, Sin City. Flim knew, just knew Flam would be here. Call it instinct, or intuition, but Flim was confident in that fact. Taking a deep breath, he started towards a task that was bound to be as hard as finding a needle in a haystack. Still, he would not give up until he had found him, one way or the other.


Night in Las Pegasus was nothing like the peaceful nights in Sweet Apple Acres. It was as if the instant Celestia lowered the sun, the sleezy underbelly of the city came to a vibrant, neon fueled fever pitch. Flim lowered his hat, grateful for what felt like the hundredth time since Appleloosa that Applejack had gifted it to him. He passed through yet another dimly lit alley, if only to avoid the glare of the lights. He nearly started backwards when a back door swung open, illuminating the grime crusted stones.

There were two low voices, shouting something incomprehensible, though Flim thought he caught "no account drunk" and "gamblers" well enough. He was just about to turn around when a familiar voice cut off the two strangers'. Flam? Flim perked his ears, desperately trying to hear what was being said.

Before he could make up his mind about acting, there was a flurry of movement, and a cream blur flew headlong out the door. In an instant, it slammed closed, leaving Flim to stare down at the figure. Illuminating his horn, he took a few cautious steps forward. There lying on the slick stones was a decidedly irate Flam. Though he had dyed his mane and mustache an awful shade of green, Flim would have recognized him anywhere. Without a moment's hesitation, he cantered over to him, gripping him in a tight hug. "Flam! Thank Celestia I found you."

Flam's eyes grew side as saucers, and even through his obviously intoxicated state, Flim could see a spark of recognition. "Flim? What . . . what are you doing here? And what's up with the sideburns?"

Flim snorted, rolling his eyes. This was going to be a very long night.

Comments ( 42 )

Great job with this story. I was good to see Flim develop and now is maturing into a respectable stallion. Hopefully Flam will follow suit. I can't wait for a sequel, and when Flim finds about Entropy and Twilight. Great job and good luck with the next projects.

NUUUUU i want to see the sequel! i-i-i-i i want to see more *eyes sparkle*

One thing before I gush over this story

So here he stood, on the crest overlooking Las Pegasus, or as his mother so affectionately referred to it, Sin City. Flim knew, just knew Flam would be here. Call it instinct, or intuition, but Flim was confident in that fact. Taking a deep breath, he started towards a task that was bound to be as hard as finding a needle in a haystack. Still, he would not give up until he had found him, one way or the other.

Night in Los Pegasus was nothing like the peaceful nights in Sweet Apple Acres.

You used both Los and Las, I think Las is the correct term, since it's based off of Las Vegas.

This story has been an awesome journey. Flimjack is an underrepresented ship that I love. It's my Applejack OTP. This small journey seeing Flim go from conman to respectable workpony has been great to see. The Flimjack shipping was on point this entire story. The family dynamic that Flim creates with the rest of the Apple Famliy is great too: From being AJ's coltfriend, to AB's extremely intelligent brother (not saying anything against Big Mac), to Mac's older brother/little brother relationship, to Granny wanting Flim to date AJ.

Also, something I noticed last chapter, that I forgot to say, you mentioned Blackjack, was that there before or after I mentioned it?

This is an awesome story, and I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel.

This is going to get good!! :pinkiehappy: I can't wait until the sequal. I wonder how they're going to pay off all of that debt? No doubt the apple family will pitch in. They can't let Applejack's future brother-in-law get offed by a couple of loan sharks! :raritywink:

Now it is complete, I'll be putting this on my Kobo so I can read this whenever I want. Also in line with everyone else can't wait for the sequel.

My only regret is that I could not like or favourite this more than once.

This is an amazing story! *stomps hooves, applauding*
I'm looking forward to the sequel! ^^)

5707061 5707160 5707246 5707759 5707894 5707962 5708007

Thanks everyone! So happy you enjoyed my story. :pinkiehappy: I can't wait to write the sequel myself. In the meantime, I'll be working on finishing TCARW and getting started with my AU CheesePie. I only hope this story inspires other authors to tackle FlimJack shipping in their own stories. They do make the cutest couple. :rainbowkiss: Until next time!

5707955 I'm sorry! Please don't hate me! :fluttercry:

In my defence, I had just literally woken up when I saw that this was updated. So I was kind of out of it.

5708224
Okay I'l let you off just this once. :rainbowlaugh:

NOOOO!!!! IT'S OVER!!!!! :raritydespair::raritycry:

Well.... at least I can look forward to the sequel :ajsmug:

5709056 She's jealous of the attention Apple Bloom is giving Flim. It's her way of coping with it.

5709309 oh, didn't think you'd reply so soon, yeah so far I really like your story.
though to be honest your writing can be distracting from the story, now not to mean that it destroys it; far from it. I just think that the grammar could be better, but other than that I think that this is a really good story.:twilightsmile:

5710153 Hmmmm. If you think my grammar's bad, you should see some of the other stories on the site! I honestly did not think mine was that terrible, seriously, where are these massive errors you're seeing? You have to understand that I self-edit everything. I simply write too much for a full-time editor to handle. For an entirely self-edited story, I think it's pretty darn good. Though, if you want to point out some errors, I'm not stopping you. I'm always appreciative of folks pointing out where I've slipped up. Thanks for reading and commenting!

5710269 lol.
yeah, I have seen a lot worse. your writing is a lot better then some.
So your a self-editor eh?
that's cool with me, and honestly my grammar is not always good either, my English teacher just drilled in to my head "proper" grammar so at times I can be a little picky. No need to worry.
the only thing I have to say negative is that at the first few chapters I had a hard time understanding what was going on. I've gotten use to it though, I just thought you should know.
I would tell you what you did wrong and how to fix it, but the truth is I don't know how.:twilightblush:
I can't say "You forgot to do that" or "You need to add this" I don't have that kind of skill yet.
I need two editors to fix my fic for Celestia's sake!:facehoof::rainbowlaugh:
But listen, I really like your fic, I do. please don't get offended, I just thought that you may wanted to know that a few readers may get confused in the fist few chapters trying to understand your writing style.
Plz don't hate me:pinkiesad2:

5710357 Awweee. Definitely not mad at you! Just frustrated with myself for not catching obvious mistakes. :facehoof: I'm actually an editor myself, though I generally edit amateur writers' fics, so I don't have a lot of experience with the "finite details." I was put into honors courses throughout high school, and they just assumed you knew grammar, and we never reviewed it. So, admittedly, I'm really rusty with it.

I'll try and go back to "clarify" for the first few chapters. I could definitely see a lot of blank dialogue in the first chapter. URGH! I thought I killed all of that, but apparently not.

Self-editing is really tough! Man, I wish I could have two editors! I'm just too wordy to have anyone willingly volunteer hours upon hours to edit my stories. That coupled with the fact that I really want to get the chapters published quickly, means that I just have to roll with some flaws. I will go back and see how to fix those early chapters though. I'm constantly in a process of revision.

Thanks again for the heads up, and I'm really happy you enjoyed my fic.

5710423 it's ok, I hope we can talk again soon.:twilightsmile:
It been nice ta do so, friends?:pinkiehappy:

5710449 Totally! Hope to hear from you again. :raritywink:

Comment posted by Bluegrass Brooke deleted Mar 15th, 2015

I loved this story! I can't wait for the sequel.:pinkiehappy:

5728494 Hmmm. You know, I did too. I'll actually change that, it reads better your way!

Thought I should say:

:pinkiecrazy:
It has been a wile friend of mine, I finished the book and I loved it!:pinkiehappy:
Not really a surprise though your a good author. Can't wait to read the sequel.
Anyhow, it is good Ta read your book again, type Ta me when ya got the time.:ajsmug:

I'd forgotten about this finishing.

This was an excellent read, I really enjoy your style of writing! I will join the other people in waiting excitedly for the sequel! :pinkiehappy:

Meanwhile, I have your other stories that are in the same universe to read through!

this is a great story, i'm looking forward to the secular:pinkiehappy:

This is literally my favourite story ever! :rainbowkiss: I joined just so I could comment on it! :facehoof::rainbowlaugh:Please tell me there will be/is a sequel? :fluttershysad::applecry:

5962435
Blue is in fact planning one. You're not the only one waiting and I joined for this story too. :rainbowlaugh:

Some proof

I'm pushing back TCARW's and AHL's sequel a smidgen.

5965285 Oh good! :raritystarry: I really wish this was canon now...:fluttershysad: I ship it all the way! :rainbowlaugh:

5962435 Oh, goodness. Thanks so much. I'm SUPER flattered. :twilightsheepish: This is one of those ships I just adore. Some like Cheesepie are meh, but Twicord and Flimjack are my OTP's!

As Forgotten says, I will be writing a sequel. Check my weekly updates for status on stuff like that. Also, my author's notes hold information about sequels and other random thoughts of mine.

If you haven't already, my "story" Interlude with a donkey has a chapter that takes place between the end of AHL and its sequel. It sort of shows what's been going on with Flim and Flam and how they're making their way.

5982035 I never even thought about shipping it until I read this, but now I actually adore those two..:rainbowlaugh: And thank you...I'll be sure to read it as soon as I can! :pinkiehappy:

First of all great story by the way, i congratulate you on righting such an amazing story. Top three on my list of all time favourites. Second, will you be righting a sequel anytime soon? I really like this and before i read this, i never would have thought to ship Applejack and Flim, but now there one of my favourite to ship. Thank you for that and thank you for being such an amazing writer

Applespice03

6306160 So happy you enjoyed it! ^^

I will be writing a sequel, but it won't be for a while yet. I've got to finish Slow Fade and get Good Company under control first. Once Slow Fade finishes, I'll probably start on it, but it'll always be a back project compared to my This Cruel and Random World series.

I post a lot of information on my stories in my blog. I'll also occasionally do little short stories or extras for An Honest Life or TCARW. So it pays to open up the blogs I tag the stories in. This tidbit for example takes place shortly after an Honest Life. Also, my story Interlude With a Donkey starts off with a short that takes place after An Honest Life.

Comment posted by Magical Shield deleted Dec 21st, 2015

I love it! So cute! :pinkiegasp: :pinkiehappy:


:pinkiegasp:

Imagine if they both went back to ponyville and Flim married Applejack! :pinkiegasp: So. Much. Cuteness ! :pinkiehappy:

I'm a bit surprised you ended it here, but it was an excellent read none the less.

I never shipped Applejack with anyone before. Now you made me ship Flimjack. I shall look for as much fanfics of this ship as I can now. :ajsmug:

Anyways thank-you so much for writing this. This story was a wonderful read. I love the story line and how it progress from beginning to end. You've put a lot of thought into Flim and Flam's background story and character, especially Flim's. I can't wait for the sequel. :twilightsmile:

6914101 hehehe, oops.:twilightblush:
Umm, like I said, nobody is perfect.:derpytongue2:

Sequel must happen no matter the cost!:yay:

I wish I could fave this story over and over again. I finally got around to reading it all the way through, and it's just lovely. And look! Now you have 200 comments!

8781805
Thank you, I try.
:twilightsmile:

This is amazing! Amazing, amazing, amazing!! You did a phenomenal job in molding these characters into your story perfectly! I remember when I first started to read it, I thought Flim and Flam where a little oc. But as I continued reading I absolutely loved how you did their characters. I loved every bit of this, thank you for such a great journey!

Waaaait... this is the end of this????

Darn. And you were just adding the most fuel ever to my budding flimjack shipping. It’s been years n years since I’ve had some pony to pair with her and I think I’m at last sold...
It’s been very well played out and the added depth to especially film has made for a hugely enjoyable read that has ended too soon...

Well, shoot. This was really good. It’s just a damn shame how it ended, and how we’re never going to get a resolution.

Login or register to comment