• Published 17th Nov 2014
  • 4,935 Views, 231 Comments

An Honest Life - Bluegrass Brooke



Honesty meant the world to Flim, something Flam could never see. On his own for the first time in years, Flim fights to prove his sincerity. A chance encounter with Applejack leads to a surprising offer. Could this be the opportunity he needs?

  • ...
5
 231
 4,935

Prologue

April rain pounded the roadside, turning the dusty road into a river of sludge. Flim stood knee deep in a particularly water logged portion, seemingly unaware of the sheets of rain drenching his coat. He glowered at the stallion in front of him. "What were you thinking?"

"What was I thinking? I was thinking of how to make more money, Flim." Flam looked practically murderous, shooting daggers at his twin.

"By conning ponies out of their hard earned bits? By stealing?" The thought of his brother even suggesting such an idea was making his skin crawl. "I won't stand by and take it anymore, Flam! We've got to think of the consequences."

"The consequences? THE CONSEQUENCES?" Flam rolled his eyes, gesturing at the darkened forest around them. "We're on the run. We owe an exorbitant amount of bits to some of the worst ponies in Equestria and you're worried about the consequences of being con artists?" He rubbed his forehead in frustration, "Flim, I think we've lost the right to humor our moral inclinations."

"Inclinations?" Flim felt a searing anger as he stared at Flam. Certainly after all these years, all they went through he would understand. "They're not inclinations to me, Flam! They're not. I told you from the getgo I wanted to stay honest."

"Honest?" Flam snorted, voice taking on a dangerous, icy tone. "What part of your life has been honest? Face it Flim, you've gone past the point of being honest."

"You don't know that!" Flim felt his determination wavering under his brother's glare. "We could get a job, work to pay off the debt."

"Seriously? That's your big plan? Wake up to the light, Flim!" The rain pounded down even harder, but neither of the ponies seemed to take notice. "It's either us or them, and frankly I choose us."

For a long while, Flim stared hard at his brother, then, slowly he turned away. "No, Flam. You choose yourself. You always have."

Flam's eyes bulged with anger. "Where do you think you're going? You're nothing without me, a nopony!"

"Maybe so, but," He looked back at Flam, a wolfish snarl stretching across his face, "I'm sick and tired of being used, Flam. I'm not your puppet." Without another word, he made his way down the road and out of site. For the first time in years, he found himself alone. But, unlike last time, there was no possibility of turning back. Wait and see, brother of mine. I'll make a life I'm proud of, an honest life.