• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 32,840 Views, 3,011 Comments

My Twilight Facade - axelsempai



Suddenly, I'm Twilight Sparkle and I don't want to be here.

  • ...
100
 3,011
 32,840

PreviousChapters Next
Moons Don't Dance, They Scowl

Spike, Minuette, Twinkleshine, Lemon Hearts, and I entered a building with a red, green and white sign. It looked exactly like the Italian flag designs I saw back home. As for how the building looked, just imagine as stereotypical a small town pizza parlor as you can. Congratulations, you just imagined what this place looked like, just with ponies. Modest wooden tables and chairs were littered around the room. There was a wooden counter on the other end manned by a stallion in a hat with an identical design to the sign out front. A menu showing the food and drink options being offered hung behind the counter. It looked just like any pizza parlor I've ever been to.

We approached the counter to view the menu. The Manehatten style pizza was featured prominently, boasting of fresh onions, olives, peppers, five kinds of cheese, and really thin crust. It sounded pretty good. I mean, I could have done with some pepperoni or something, but I doubted asking for meat would have done me any favors.

"Alright, how many slices could each of you handle?" I asked the group.

"I could have three!" Minuette excitedly boasted.

"Two, myself." Lemon Hearts said.

"I'm only going to have one. I really need to watch my diet." Twinkleshine lamented.

I looked to Spike. It took him a moment to get what my look was for. "Oh, uh, two I guess."

"Hmm, alright then." I stepped up to the counter. "We'll take two Manehatten style pizzas, a Colossal Hero, and a two liter soda."

"Coming right up!" The stallion went through a door on the back wall, presumably where the kitchen was.

The three other mares looked at me oddly. "I get the pizzas, but what's the hoagie for? Saving it for dinner?" Minuette asked.

"No, I'm going to eat it now."

They stared at me for a moment. "Uh, are you sure you can eat that much?" Lemon asked.

"Listen," I summoned a bag of bits and placed it on the counter just as our food came out. Gotta admit, this was fast service. "When I say I can eat a whole pizza and a sandwich the size of my head, I mean it."

They gave each other doubtful looks and turned to Spike for confirmation. He nodded. "Yeah, she does."

We took our seats and divvied up the food. I took the first bite out of my huge sandwich, enjoying the copious toasted tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese. Oh goodness, it was good. I took another bite. Ranch sauce trailed down my mouth, so I looked around for a napkin. They were fresh out. I suppose I could have turned around and levitated a napkin from a nearby table, but that sounded like effort. I summoned a box of them from my basement and used those instead. Mouth now clean, I wasted no time in grabbing a slice of pizza.

I took a few bites of the slice before I looked up to realize the looks I was receiving from the others (save a disinterested Spike). It's like they were witnessing some kind of spectacle. "What?" I asked with half a mouthful of pizza lodged in my gob.

"Heh heh, you're a pretty messy eater, Twilight." Minuette noted.

I shrugged and took another bite from my hoagie. I think their further deepening expressions was from me sampling both my sandwich and pizza at the same time.

"So," Twinkleshine began, trying to hide her apprehension of my appetite. "I guess you aren't too worried about your figure, huh?"

I gulped down a bunch of my food with some soda. "Not really. I've been eating a lot more cake and ice cream since I got to Ponyville. It's not like fat will be much of an issue, since I go on five kilometer runs every day. I also got a weight set at my place, and I read somewhere that magic burns calories. I've been using a lot of that, too."

"I never figured you were into exercise, Twilight." Minuette said, only just now taking a third bite of pizza.

"Once I moved to Ponyville, yeah." I took my tenth bite of food.

Their expressions fell slightly. "So how has Ponyville been to you?" Lemon asked. Her voice sounded a little off.

I was going to guess that they still felt a little sore about my leave. Okay, I just needed to keep everything together. I'd try to avoid saying anything that might upset them and keep spirits up. When the time was right, I'd apologize. I shrugged with forced nonchalance. "It's been pretty good. Good ponies, the occasional royal mandate to confront danger, great nightlife; it's got it all."

Lemon Hearts smiled at the change in tone. "Liking it there, huh? Lyra likes it, too. Did she tell you she found a mare she likes?"

"News to me." I said. "Who's the lucky mare she fancies?"

"A pony named Bon Bon."

Huh, that name was weird even by pony standards. I could be wrong, but it sounded like a fake name. "Candy maker?"

"Yeah, good guess!"

Sure, a guess. If only it weren't for pony names being informative of their professions. Minuette spoke up with an excited query. "Did you meet anypony you like, Twilight?"

"Nope." I answered easily.

Twinkleshine gave an exaggerated sigh. "Oh well, maybe you'll find somepony who can get you interested in more than books someday."

I raised an inquisitive brow. "What makes you think I'm only interested in books anymore?"

"So you did find somepony." Minuette teased.

I didn't find any romantic interests, but I did have a few reasons to leave the house. "I met a few ponies down there I like platonically." I cut myself short there, as to not bring up my friendships apart from these three.

"Must be some good friends." Twinkleshine noted idly, picking some of the toppings off her pizza slice.

I noticed her tone was a bit flat. The way I saw it, her reaction to bringing up my friends in Ponyville indicated either jealousy or disappointment. That could mean anything from jealousy for my Ponyville friends keeping my attention to ire about my neglect.

As if it weren't bad enough I was doing that with Spike not too long ago, now I had three others with the same problem. Just how many ponies have I been hurting since I came into the picture? It was a sobering thought.

Minuette placed a consoling hoof on Twinkleshine's shoulder. "Hey, let's not go getting ourselves down. Let's try to have a good time!"

I lowered my head and held up a hoof for pause. "Actually, I came back to Canterlot because I needed to talk to you all."

My shift from casual to serious caught their attention. "Twilight?"

"I haven't been a very good friend to you." I began, crossing my hooves on the table. "When I left for the Summer Sun Celebration, I said nothing about my move. As far as you knew, I'd disappeared. It's only when I spoke to Lyra recently that I realized who I left behind. Girls, I'm sorry it took me this long to come back or, hell, say anything."

The girls looked among themselves for a moment, then laughed. I shot my eyes between them, since I really didn't expect this kind of reaction from an apology.

"Oh Twilight," Minuette began. "You came all this way just to apologize?"

"Well, yeah." I muttered. "I mean, I paid for lunch and everything..."

"And thanks for that, but we really weren't that mad!" Lemon said.

"Really?"

"Well, it kinda hurt when we found out you left and didn't say anything." Twinkleshine admitted. "But I'll admit that we weren't all that close in the first place. I guess it's alright."

All these ponies smiled at me, but that only confused me more. "That's it? We're friends again just like that?"

"Yep! Just like that!" Minuette cheered.

I sunk back into my chair with bemusement. "That was pretty fast."

Lemon chuckled at my expression. "Well, you were reading books a lot, so you probably didn't realize just how forgiving we are."

No doubt. But that wasn't the end of it, because Minuette brightened with another idea. "Hey, we should get Moondancer!"

I raised an inquisitive eyebrow and impulsively asked, "Moondancer?"

"Yeah! You know, the other unicorn!" I looked upon everyone's horns. They were all unicorns. Minuette continued, "I bet she'll be happy to see you!"

I let out a chuckle for appearances and played along. "Good idea! We should get back together with her as well."

"Great, let's get going!" The others, including Spike, got up and walked to the exit.

I watched them with even more bemusement. "What? But I haven't even finished my sandwich!"


We walked down the street towards the Canterlot Stadium. Moondancer apparently lived nearby. Foot traffic was comparatively sparse from the morning, so it wasn't difficult to go anywhere. We passed by a university campus.

"Hey, our old science lab is over there!" Twinkleshine pointed towards the foremost building.

I looked towards the grand, three story building. The compass rose crest over the entrance beckoned with its glaring reflection, doors flanked by rose colored tapestries adorned with a purple diamond on each. It gave me the impression of a high class university meant only for the elite. I've never seen an educational structure that nice, even in pictures.

Minuette tried to stifle a giggle. "Remember that time Lemon got her head stuck in a flask?"

Lemon glared softly at their laughs. Since I was supposedly there when it happened, I forced a polite chuckle. "Yeah, I remember that. That was pretty wild."

We continued on our way after that with some more chuckles and suppressed groans, but seeing that building and hearing that anecdote really got to me. Twilight Sparkle had a great life. She was the personally chosen student of the nation's sovereign ruler, had a loyal little brother, attended a great school (presumably with high honors, if the Princess selected her), and good friends. Seeing bits of Twilight's life like this brought my life into contrast. I've never been to college. I didn't have any friends.

Twilight's life was perfect; I was just some punk along for the ride. Why was I even here? Twilight deserved so much better than my intervention. All I could really do at this point was limit the damage I did and end it all as soon as possible.

Speaking of which, we arrived at a building they assured me belonged to Moondancer. "Are you sure this is the place?" I only asked because I couldn't imagine anyone associated with Twilight living in a building with paint chipping off. You could see the grey under the once beige house. The windows were cracked and the lawn was unkempt. I figured everyone around Twilight would live lives about as picturesque as her.

"Yeah, I guess she's been letting herself go." Lemon opened the front gate to Moondancer's place, the door creaking loudly on its hinges.

She must be, if the rats are using bits of limestone as dinner tables in her yard. The rats were nice and all, waving hello over a lunch of peanut butter crackers, but their presence made me uneasy. Perhaps Moondancer was as much an animal person as Fluttershy? Or, more likely, this was a bad sign of things to come.

The others pushed me forward, encouraging me to knock. With a roll of my shoulders, I knocked.

One.

Two.

Three.

Was anyone home? I knocked again to be sure.

One.

Two.

The door opened, finally. An irritated beige pony stood in the doorway, with her strawberry pink mane tied up. I figured it was supposed to be a bun, but she didn't have enough hair to pull it off, so it was just a mess of hair in a band. She looked kinda familiar. Maybe it had something to do with the way she styled the back of her mane? Come to think of it, she did look like me if I was wearing glasses.

This mare, probably Moondancer, took one look at me before scowling. "What do you want?"

Yeah, that was a lot more sour of a reception than the others. Still, if there was one skill I had that could help, it was speech. "Hey Moondancer, it's been a while."

"Seven months and six days."

I laughed nervously. "That long, huh? How have you been?"

"Go away, I'm busy." She slammed the door.

I stood there in silent contemplation. Looks like I had to work at it this time around. Minuette, Lemon Hearts, and Twinkleshine were easy, but it looked like Moondancer was still sore.

Minuette laughed with forced exuberance. "Yeah, she's been doing that a lot."

I hung my head. "So I made her like this."

"Hey, don't go blaming yourself on this." Twinkleshine said in consolation.

"Tell me, did she start doing this when I left?"

"Well, yeah, but..." She trailed off, not sure how to argue.

"Then I am responsible." I concluded. "I've made a mess of things, and it falls on me to fix it." With a sigh, I turned down the path and walked. "I'll see you girls around."

Lemon called after me. "Wait, where are you going?"

"I'm booking a motel; I could be here for a while!"

Spike rushed up next to me, and we left together.


There was only one motel anywhere near Canterlot; just outside of it. It was a raggedy place, with torn window dressings and dirty walls. There was a conspicuous brown puddle leading into the office. I don't even want to guess what's in that puddle, and that big crack in the wall wasn't doing this place any favors. One of the occupied rooms couldn't contain a loud argument about greeting cards. Neither Spike or myself looked upon it with any hope.

"Uh... are you sure you wanna sleep here?" Spike asked apprehensively.

"I hope that means you have a better idea."

"Yeah, a whole bunch. For starters, we could sleep in an alleyway."

I chuckled lamely. "We're getting better. Anything else?"

"You know what, let's just go to Twilight's old tower."

I noticed Spike's odd use of Twilight's name. Why did he do that all of a sudden? Is he trying to trip me up? I did my best to ignore it. "That sounds good. Lead the way."

So we walked back into the city and went to some residential area. The tower we were looking for was in the classier side of town, where all the towers and ornate buildings were. Figures that Twilight lived in the tallest one. With a gold spire and spiral staircase leading to the top, it was the envy of the neighborhood. Well maintained flowers streamed off the edges with azure beauty in the shrinking daylight. Sultans could suck it, this place ruled!

I kept my glee in check as I looked over our place of temporary residence. "Home sweet home."

"Something like that." Spike said, wasting no time on walking through the ground floor entrance.

The door was already open when we came in. I initially worried that the place was robbed in Twilight's absence, but that was before I saw the interior. There was nothing in there worth stealing, for all was books. Nearly every wall was a bookshelf stuffed with knowledge. There was a couch, there was a table, and there was a giant hourglass. None of those things were apparently worth taking in seven months. Everything was covered with either dust or spider webs.

We went to the top floor, finally finding a room with a bed. A lectern stood alone by the balcony door, holding an open book. It looked like Twilight left this place while in the middle of something. I stepped forward to investigate the book, but I kicked a torn package. It was wrapped for someone's birthday or maybe Hearth's Warming, but what really caught my interest was the punctured teddy bear right next to it.

Spike stepped over and gazed upon the items. "Hey, it's the gift I got for Moondancer." Spike smiled in reverie. "Moondancer was having a birthday party, so I got her a teddy bear." He chuckled and thought. "It seems so long ago when I was taking it to Moondancer's party, then Twilight bust in through the door and my tail went through it. She was so worried about Nightmare Moon that nothing we said could calm her down. Even the princess couldn't change her mind about what that book said." He shook his head. "Turns out she was right, huh?"

I forced my gaze away from Spike. I really wished Spike wouldn't start talking about Twilight; my mind was already tumultuous as it was. I instead looked around the room, looking for some kind of distraction. There were none. There weren't even any personal effects, like pictures of decorations. Everything in this tower was either related to books or sleep.

In Twilight's home, she didn't even need personal items. Her family likely lived in Canterlot as well, so considering them and her friends, I guess Twilight didn't really need any pictures of her personal life. Why would she? She was living the dream day after day.

Of course, she was marching off to fight Nightmare Moon in the end. That's when I stepped in and ruined everything. Hell, I bet Twilight would have handled the Summer Sun Celebration better than I did. Would a smart girl like her have had any trouble finding the Elements of Harmony? Doubtfully. When I stop to think about it, I stole more than her life: I stole her legacy.

I sighed and levitated up the broken teddy bear. I put all its fluff into its little hole and prepared a spell. The glow of my magic fixed the seams, restoring the teddy bear to its rightful glory. I replaced its missing eye with lavender magic, and admired my efforts. That day it was just a teddy bear, but the next day I swore to restore Twilight's friendships.

Eventually, I could do the same for her.

Author's Note:

Tell me that doesn't remind you of the Sultan's Palace from Aladdin.

PreviousChapters Next