• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 32,823 Views, 3,011 Comments

My Twilight Facade - axelsempai



Suddenly, I'm Twilight Sparkle and I don't want to be here.

  • ...
100
 3,011
 32,823

PreviousChapters Next
Lightning's Got Nothing On Rainbows

I was still staring down at the shattered treetop, the rain whipping into me from the open window of my bedroom. Distant thunder hardly registered in my head, as my mind was blank from my feat of magic. Applejack and Rarity were watching me, unsure of my mental state.

My mind was overwhelmed by a strong sense of release that radiated throughout my body. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, but it came out as a shuddering. I lost the strength in my legs, and went limp onto the window sill, panting from exertion. Applejack rushed forward and held onto me comfortingly. "Are you okay, Twilight?"

I steadied my breathing to respond. "I guess so. I'm feeling very light-headed, though."

Rarity approached, closing the window with her magic. "Understandable, since you just used your magic for the first time in a long while."

"What do you mean? Isn't magic basically just mind powers? How come my legs are putty?" I asked.

Rarity tapped her chin with a hoof appraisingly. "Hmm, not to criticize Celestia's abilities as a teacher, but I would have thought she would have explained it already."

"What are you talkin' about, Rares?" Applejack inquired.

"I'm saying that magic is as physical as it is mental. The act of casting a spell has an effect on the world and on the user's body, which is felt through the horn. Unicorns who rarely use their magic to their full degree often experience light-headedness and fatigue upon casting a spell. Considering Twilight's historical distaste of magic, it's no surprise that she's showing such a reaction." Rarity scrutinized me again, as if noticing something strange. "What's odd about her reaction is how powerful it is. The effects are only minor. Usually, it's merely shortness of breath or dizziness, but losing the ability to stand and complete exhaustion? If I didn't know better, I would say that Twilight hasn't used anything more powerful than levitation for many years."

They both looked to me for confirmation. I weakly shrugged. "You got me. I haven't been much of a spellcaster."

Rarity tapped her chin in thought. "Again, it's strange that you're getting this reaction. Spikey mentioned you were making a spell, which often requires use and experimentation of the created spell. How come you haven't been casting it?"

"It's... well, I assume it's finished. I haven't gotten around to testing it." I explained.

"And may I ask why it hasn't been tested, yet?"

"It's a fire spell. If I'm going to test it, the target needs to be flammable and in a non-flammable environment. This tree isn't exactly ideal."

Rarity raised a curious eyebrow. "And why are you making fire spells?"

"Remember the parasprites?"

"Yes."

"If and when they return, I'm gonna host a barbecue and serve them to every carnivore at Fluttershy's."

Rarity winced in shock at the answer. Apparently, so calmly explaining how you'll kill something while also giving it away as food was a bit of a crazy thing to say. Even Applejack, who I expected to be country tough, slowly backed away from me. "What? It's not like I would be killing things for no reason! They were eating all of our food! Excuse me for wanting a solution to such a problem!"

"I dunno, Twi. That seems awfully extreme, even for you." Applejack said nervously.

"Even for me? I stabbed a dragon in the ass; I'm hardcore." I responded. My weakened mind didn't quite grasp that the events I was referring to weren't helping my case.

Rarity glanced at the sword on my wall. "Yes, and I see you still have that barbaric instrument. Why do you keep something so ghastly?"

"Uh, stabbed a dragon in the ass?" I asked as if it was obvious. "That's a good memory for a better trophy."

"Didn't you also get smacked into a rock after that?" Applejack asked, remembering my only misfortune that day.

I huffed. "Sure, if you want to remember the boring parts."

"I thought it was more worrying than anything else." Rarity chimed.

I narrowed my eyes in frustration. "And I thought we agreed to skip the ghost stories."

"Right. So, I assume you know how to avoid the side effects of spellcasting?" Rarity asked.

"I'm not going to stop casting spells." I resolved.

"Wait a minute, if you hate magic so much, why do you keep usin' it?" Applejack asked.

I responded with my usual ambiguity. "I have a personal project that needs doing, and I'll need magic for it."

"Yeah, we remember the parasprite barbecue." Applejack reminded.

"No no, a different project. I'm not going to talk about it much more, though." I corrected.

"Well, if you want to stop the side effects, I'm afraid the only solution is to exercise your magic. Treat it like any other muscle, and it will become a lot easier." Rarity explained.

There we have it. I now have to exercise my magic as well as my new body. As we yawned and went back to our beds, I had my magic sensitivity on my mind. I was really glad Spike wasn't here, as I'm sure he would have caught on to me in an instant. No doubt he knows magic better than me, living with a studious mare like Twilight, and he would notice the discrepancy between our spellcasting abilities. I must keep my magic training a secret, or I could be caught immediately.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ah'd best be goin 'fore Granny gets too worried. See ya'll!" Applejack bid us farewell in the morning. She left us with a wave, and left myself and Rarity alone. After Rarity's teasing last night, most would be a bit nervous. I, on the other hand, was well-adjusted and therefore immune to mere teasing.

"Thanks again for letting us stay over." Rarity said graciously.

"No problem."

"We should have another sleepover sometime." Rarity giggled into a hoof. "And this time, I'll be sure to avoid any of those 'girly' activities you found so dreadful."

I stammered a response. "Well... if we do this again, I'm not o-opposed to the previous night's activities." I looked away nervously.

Rarity just giggled again at my response. "If you say so, darling. I'll be sure to bring curlers, next time."

I wasn't sure if I should be upset or thrilled at the promise of curlers. "...okay."

Rarity once more found my response to be humorous. "Anyway, I know you dislike magic, but you'd be doing yourself a favor if you practice every once in a while. Just a simple spell every once in while, alright?"

I smirked. "As long as I don't have to like it."

Rarity half-smiled at my dedication. "That's the spirit, I suppose." Rarity didn't say anything more than that, but I could tell she was wanting to. Perhaps she was wanting to tell me about the wonders of magic?

I shall take no such heresy.

Luckily, Rarity kept that sentiment to herself. "I must get going. I have to design some Fall pieces before the leaves turn brown." Rarity smiled teasingly. "And I'm sure you'd understand how important fashion is to a lady?"

"Is this revenge for refusing to wear makeup?" I demanded. "Because if it is, I'll give myself a scar to spite you." Please don't call my bluff, please don't call my bluff...

Rarity nodded knowingly. "I'm sure you will. Ta-ta, darling!" We waved goodbye, and she left through the front door.

It was fun night, I guess, but it was a distraction I didn't really need. Though it did reveal the slight stumbling block of my magical sensitivity. The plan for the day was to practice my spellcasting, since that would need to happen eventually, anyway. To that end, I got an item I had no attachment to (an empty cardboard box), and blasted it with magic for as long as I could.

The energy beam I was shooting had some really weird physics. It tore apart a tree like nothing, and the box was no exception to this observation. However, I realized just as I cast it the first time that normally this would lead to property damage as the beam would tear through the much flimsier box and destroy anything beyond. This was not the case, as the beam instead dissipated on the box, and tore it apart. I had to admit, the spell was well designed to prevent unnecessary collateral damage from a struggle. As long as you hit your mark, only your opponent would suffer any damage.

The first time I cast the spell, it exhausted me like the night before. I wasn't drained, it was just that I was overwhelmed by the sensory input from the spell. I needed a few minutes for rest between each casting. Of course I was determined to get over the over-sensitivity; I wasn't going to let magic rule over me, I was going to rule over magic!

You know, if I needed to.

Around noon, the front door opened, and in walked my "little brother", Spike. Honestly, I wasn't expecting him back so soon, so I interrupted my practice and hid the evidence. Spike wouldn't look under the bookshelves, would he? "Hey Spike, how was 'royal business'?"

Spike placed a newspaper on the center table of the room. "Uh, it went pretty well." I could tell he was hiding something.

I fished for more information. "Oh? And what exactly happened?"

His eyes shifted everywhere I wasn't standing. "Uh, you know, I just filed a bunch of reports or whatever. Nothing special happened." He beat a hasty retreat upstairs, excusing himself.

I shrugged to myself. If Spike wasn't willing to talk about it, then I wouldn't force him. Seeing the newspaper, I decided to take a break. I unrolled the paper and beheld the glorious headline.

COMIC CONVENTION ENDED DUE TO FIRE. CAUSE UNKNOWN.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've made a breakthrough. It has gotten to the point where I no longer have the oversensitivity from magic, and I was very thankful for that. However, I've noticed that casting was getting easier, and it's not just because I wasn't collapsing every time. By the end of the week, visualizing the dweomer sequences I needed was getting more and more instinctual. I was able to master the use of the Energy Bolt spell, the Lock spell, and the Sleep spell (don't worry, I used Sleep on myself, so no animal testing)!

It wasn't just for spells I knew, either. I even memorized a completely new spell, and even faster than usual! Rarity wasn't kidding about how much easier it would get. I feel like I have a real handle on these dweomers, and it won't be much longer until I can move on to more powerful spells. Soon, very soon.

As for the spell I learned? Least Object Calling. Heh, I just saw that look of incomprehension on your face. Okay, let me explain; it's a minor conjuration that summons an item to you. It sounds like a useful spell, but it has a few limitations. First of all, I need to prepare an item ahead of time that I can teleport to my side, so it doesn't just summon things from the ether. If I wanted to summon an inkwell, I would need to cast the spell on the inkwell, which would "mark" it for use, and then I could summon it later. The second limitation is size, as I can only summon objects about the size of a baseball. That doesn't give me many options for objects, and I certainly can't summon my sword at any time, but at least I won't ever forget my keys.

Spike and I were hanging out in the library's main room, doing the usual thing. He was reading a comic, I was reading a bestiary. The front door opened, and in walked Applejack and Rarity. We greeted each other, and they settled in.

"So, how is your magic coming along?" Rarity asked.

"Pretty well, I suppose. I can actually cast spells without going pale, so that's always a good thing." I replied.

"That's good to hear." Said Applejack. "I was worried there for a second when you fell like that."

Rarity waved a hoof dismissively. "It's as I said, she just needed to practice."

Spike broke into the conversation with confusion. "Wait, what happened?"

I was dreading this already. Spike would have caught on to my magic sensitivity if I wasn't practicing in the basement, but now the others threatened to reveal it anyway. Time seemed to slow as Rarity opened her mouth to reply, and my mind scrambled for something with which to distract them. To that end, I yelled, seemingly at random, "I like rainbows, does anybody else like rainbows?"

Everyone turned their attention to me, eyebrows raised. The one who answered the question was not someone I was expecting. "Ooh ooh, I like rainbows!" Pinkie chirped.

I turned to Pinkie, who I was sure wasn't there before. "Pinkie, did you sneak in here?"

"Nope! I walked through the front door!" I don't think she understood that one could sneak in if they're quiet.

Applejack, Rarity, and Spike gave each other questioning looks, making it clear that none of them noticed Pinkie walking through the door right behind me. I shook my head. "Uh huh. So what's up? Is there something you want?"

"I'm here for the same reason you're here: I'm here to see the rainbow!"

I narrowed my eyes in confusion. I looked around the room, even out the window, but there was no rainbow. "There's not a rainbow in here. There's not even anything prismatic." I pointed out.

In retrospect, that was my first hint that Pinkie Pie was a psychic. I only say that because just as I was refuting her, something prismatic did indeed appear. A rainbow blur crashed through a window and smashed into a bookcase. Oh, poor Rainbow Dash. Someday, she'll get the hang of flying.

Rainbow stood up from the pile of books she made, shaking her head to regain her bearings. She noticed us. "Hey girls, what's up?"

"Not you, silly! You fell down again!" Pinkie smiled. I couldn't tell if she thought her joke was funny or not.

Rainbow briefly glared at Pinkie, but turned her attention to the rest of us. "What're you all doing in the library?"

"Rarity and ah were checkin' up on Twilight." Applejack answered. "Some magic problems, I reckon."

"I live here." I answered.

"Uh, me too." Spike added.

"How about you?" I asked Rainbow. "Why did you drop by? Did you think we were having a party or something?"

"WHAT!?" Pinkie screamed. She grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me as if this were an interrogation. "You were having a party without me? Why didn't you invite me!?"

I stared back at her in abject horror. "...because we weren't having a party?"

Pinkie went back to her usual cheerful demeanor, jumping back away from me. "Oh, that makes sense."

The library was silent with everyone staring at Pinkie with bemusement. Pinkie was oblivious to the attention she was getting, merely humming a tune to herself. A tiny voice by the window caught us all off guard. "Rainbow Dash, you rock! Woohoo!" That was the quietest cheering I have ever heard, and it could only belong to one mare.

Fluttershy stood over the window, now looking worried. "Oh, um, are you okay Rainbow?"

Rainbow sighed. "Yeah, but you need to practice more. Your cheering is pitiful."

"Why does she suddenly need to practice cheering?" I asked.

"Because the Best Young Flyer Competition is tomorrow, and I'm gonna need an awesome cheering section."

"Hold on, you're going to a competition and you didn't invite the rest of us?" I was wondering why she was leaving us behind. Surely, she could bring all of her friends.

Strangely, it was Pinkie who answered my query. "Well, duh. The competition is in Cloudsdale."

I raised an eyebrow quizzically. "And?"

"That's a pegasus city." Applejack added.

I still didn't get it. "And?"

Rainbow groaned. "Ugh, Cloudsdale is a city made out of clouds, and only pegasi can walk in it."

Realization dawned on me. "Ohhh, okay, I understand the problem."

"You really need to get out more." Pinkie chided. I took that to mean Cloudsdale was common knowledge. Oops.

Since Rainbow was still here, I decided to ask her about her routine. It's not like I'll be able to see it. "So I assume this 'forceful landing' was because of whatever you were practicing?"

"Ooh, are you doing a Sonic Rainboom?" Pinkie asked enthusiastically.

Rainbow was at a momentary loss of words, presumably because Pinkie already somehow knew what tricks she was performing. "Yeah... how'd you guess?"

"Because it's my lucky day!" She declared. So, she was saying it was a lucky guess?

But I was still in the dark, and I was the only one, apparently. "So what's a 'Sonic Rainboom'? Is that making a rainbow explode?"

Rainbow thought about "exploding rainbows" and her eyes widened in fascination. "Whoa. That would be awesome."

In her usual bouncy way, Pinkie explained. "A Sonic Rainboom is a legendary move that happens when a pegasus like Rainbow Dash moves so fast..." Pinkie pantomimed what I assumed was an explosion. "BOOM! A sonic boom and a rainbow! A Sonic Rainboom!"

That sounded an awful lot like breaking the sound barrier. But that would be impossible. There's no way that a pegasus would be able to move faster than the speed of sound. "Now I'm starting to think you're trying something that's impossible."

Strangely, Rainbow subtly wilted at that. Fluttershy came to her defense. "She's done it before! I've seen her do it!"

I waved an arm in frustration. Of course she did. Why would my rudimentary knowledge of physics have any bearing on my life? Might as well dump the whole textbook in the trash.

"So yer goin' to use that Rainboom of yours to win the competition?" Applejack clarified.

Rainbow chuckled with a kind of nervousness that I only barely noticed. "Y-yeah! I'm totally gonna wipe the floor at that competition." She briefly darted her eyes between us, and smiled nervously. "I'm gonna go rest up. Don't wanna be over-prepared, you know?" She turned to leave out the window, but pointed at Fluttershy. "You, on the other hoof, should keep practicing. I need a cheering section to match my performance."

Rainbow flew out the window, and Fluttershy took that opportunity to tell us what was really happening. "She's been practicing for so long, but she hasn't even done one successful Rainboom. I don't think cheering loud enough will help her." She gingerly flew away, presumably to practice cheering.

That left me and the other girls to contemplate recent events. Considering it was about a week since that slumber party, I felt I had a good reason to sigh dejectedly. I scanned the magic section of the library for something that would help.

"What's wrong, Twilight? Are you feeling nervous for Rainbow Dash?" Rarity asked.

I found the book I needed, and levitated it off the shelf. It was a book on transmutations. "It's that time of the week. Someone I know is having some kind of problem they need my help with, and I need to drop everything to help."

"It sounds to me like you don't want to help." She observed.

I flipped the book open to the index, hoping to find a spell that could get me into Cloudsdale. "Don't get me wrong, I like helping my friends." I blew out a breath of frustration. "I could just do without the frequency."

Ignoring the strange looks everyone was giving me that I would later interpret as guilt, I found a Flight spell. Hmm, minor conjuration with heavy transmutation? How many dweomer sequences were there? Whoa, that was a lot. I wasn't sure if I could do this, all of a sudden. If you consider a dweomer sequence a word, and a spell a sentence, then this was a whole fucking paragraph. Still, I had to try, at least. I channeled the energy and visualized the dweomers.

Something odd happened as I formed the dweomers. The process I used to channel my power became a lot more simple. I found it easier to form these particular glyphs, and I believed that I could increase my power output by a great deal. I closed my eyes in concentration, accelerating the process of forming the spell, and filling the room with light. I directed the gathered spell to myself, and released it.

I opened my eyes and looked over my body. I looked mostly the same, but I felt an odd mass on my back. I investigated my new addition to find a pair of leathery bat wings the same color as my coat. I moved them naturally, as if they were always there.

"My word," Rarity awed. "That must have been a rather difficult spell. How did you ever pull it off?"

I smiled excitedly. How else could one react to such a great realization? "I know how I did this. I'm a transmutation specialist."

Spike gave me another one of those odd looks, as if I just said something contradictory. Rarity ignored him, clapping her hooves in approval. "That's wonderful, Twilight! You've discovered your specialty!"

I nodded, not looking away from my new wings. "Yes, and with these, I'll be able to cheer for Rainbow Dash in the competition." It would also be helpful, as no doubt I could eventually transform myself back into a human when I was ready to leave much earlier than I thought. Really, this was perfect. "So who else wants to go to Cloudsdale with me?"

Rarity stepped forward. "I'll volunteer next, though I really don't want wings so ugly."

I charged my horn with the spell. "Don't worry, the wings are personalized by the subject. You won't regret it." I let loose the spell, and Rarity sprouted a pair of butterfly wings. The sparkled and shined, filling the room with brilliant colors.

Rarity gushed over her wings, while Applejack stepped forward to volunteer next. "Hit me, Twi."

I complied, casting the spell on her. Applejack sprouted a pair of plain feathery wings. She looked just like a pegasus. Pinkie bounced with excitment, eager to be augmented next. "Do me! Do me!"

I cast the spell on her, but I think the spell failed. When the light faded, Pinkie was still her usual earth pony self. I was understandably puzzled, since I was sure I cast it correctly. "Strange, I wonder why it didn't work."

Pinkie shrugged. "I dunno."

I looked through the spell's instructions again, trying to find some kind of mistake I was making. I stopped looking when Pinkie was ecstatically yelling "Wheeee!" Somehow, even without wings, Pinkie was flying around the library like a pegasus. I was going to make some kind of exclamation about how this doesn't make sense, but I remembered that Pinkie flying without wings was almost as nonsensical as she usually is, so I kept it to myself.

In a word, that day was perfect. I discovered my specialty school, and gave myself a pair of bitchin' bat wings. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were going to be so surprised!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Fluttershy was no doubt "screaming" herself coarse, Applejack, Rarity and I were getting used to our new wings. As for Pinkie Pie, well, we kind of lost track of her when she flew into Sugarcube Corner. Allegedly, the Cakes were frantic about something for the rest of the day. I didn't get any details, but things somehow got crazier when Pinkie learned to fly.

I learned the hard way how hard it is to sleep with wings. I remember Rainbow once bragging about how awesome it is to sleep on clouds, so I guess winged ponies are supposed to sleep in the sky. Then again, Fluttershy lives in a regular cottage, so your guess is as good as mine.

In the morning, I met with the girls, and we flew off to Cloudsdale to surprise Rainbow Dash. We had to keep it slow for Rarity, since butterfly wings are made for fluttering and not soaring, but we made good time. Pinkie was a mystery, flying laps around us and gushing about how cool it was to fly. Applejack was pretty quiet, and she was rigidly looking forward, never looking down. I can hardly blame her, for I was only anchored in sanity by the fact that I could renew the Flight spell at any time.

Cloudsdale was in sight, and it was magnificent. It sat atop an absolutely massive amount of clouds, off of which streamed rainbows and water like waterfalls. Many building dotted the "landscape", with pillars that I was similar in design to ancient Roman architecture. It looked like what would happen if the Romans were a race of bird-like people that could walk on clouds. It was the most gorgeous city I have ever seen.

Pinkie, demonstrating more of those precognitive powers I alluded to earlier, led us to Rainbow and Fluttershy. Let me tell you, seeing their reaction when they saw us flying was priceless. If I had a camera, I would capture this moment and treasure it always. They stared in awe at the flying non-pegasi, which briefly became confusion when they realized Pinkie was the same as always.

Yep, Rainbow and Fluttershy were stunned that we became pegasi overnight. Applejack and I landed on the clouds, demonstrating further my prowess for basic transmutations. Pinkie was still madly flying around in a happy frenzy, and Rarity decided that she liked showing off her pretty wings. I noticed that she turned a few heads.

"Surprise!" I announced. "Didn't expect to see us here, did you?"

Rainbow stammered in shock. "W-What? How did you guys get up here? How did you get those wings?"

"I've got a few tricks up my proverbial sleeve." I replied cryptically.

Applejack clarified my statement for her. "Twi cast a fancy spell on us that gave us wings."

"Well, when you put it that way, I'm not exactly proud of myself." I huffed.

"Oh my goodness, this is amazing!" Fluttershy cheered. I came up with a scale for quietness. There's quiet as a mouse, and then there's Fluttershy quiet.

"We're here to cheer you on, darling!" Rarity said. "I'm sure you will win!"

Rainbow smiled earnestly. "Thanks, guys. Honestly, I was getting just a teeny weeny but nervous, but I feel a lot better now that you're here." She looked to a nearby clock tower. "Hey, we got some time until the competition, how about we show you around Cloudsdale?"

The others said yes, but I chose to break the mold by having the coolest answer. "Bitchin'." I said with a cool grin. Rarity gave me a sideways glare, but she otherwise let it go.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Here it is, the greatest city in the sky."

Rainbow didn't need to bother with the grand presentation, for the city itself was a true marvel. Sure, it was amazing at a distance, but it was even better up close. It was like walking into any other big city, but much more fantastic. The clouds that made up the city were a spectacular white, giving every building a sense of regalness that mere wood or stone could never accomplish. Pegasi flew throughout the sky without a care for their beautiful surroundings, making what amounts to a royal city back home seem like an average big city. Truly, this was an amazing sight to behold.

Most of us ooh-ed and ahh-ed, but the effect of this spectacular fantasy cityscape was ruined by Rarity. I can't understand how someone can be so full of themselves, because I swear Rarity was admiring herself in a storefront mirror. I rolled my eyes at the display, for how else could I react to something so embarrassing?

Rainbow also noticed Rarity's self-fawning, and tried very hard to ignore it. "Uhh, some of the greatest pegasi in history came from Cloudsdale!" Suddenly I was interested. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I hadn't read any history books since coming to Equestria at the time, so I figured Rainbow would elaborate on this grand history of the city.

Rarity rushed over to accompany us, stopping her self-admiration long enough to realize we were still walking. As she passed, multiple pegasi gaped in awe at Rarity's wings, some murmuring their approval of something so beautiful. I noted these reactions. Sure, her wings were pretty, but they weren't that pretty. I could understand if they stared because you don't often see butterfly wings on a unicorn, but not being completely enraptured.

"Say, since we're up here, ah'd like to see where the weather's made." Applejack said, more of a suggestion of where to go first. Silly Applejack, everyone knows that weather isn't "made". There's loads of natural phenomena that effect the weather. Just because pegasi could move a few clouds around didn't mean they created all weather.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Son of a bitch, they do make the weather up here! What kind of weather? All the weather.

Man, you think you've seen some shitty work environments? I'll bet you five bits that it doesn't have shit compared to the Cloudsdale Weather Factory. I've been in a room that was so cold, that I was freezing my little ass off even with a jacket. There were loads of ponies in there, too. And you know what they were doing in there? Making snowflakes. One at a time. By hoof. The only consolation I could think of for these guys is that they had no supervision. I can only imagine that one of them was doodling dicks instead of actual snowflake patterns.

I barely registered anything Rainbow said, or anything Rarity did to distract the workers. Rarity was causing a drought apparently, so we got out of there pretty fast. Good thing, too. I felt like my eyes were freezing over without blinking.

Oh, of course, rainbows! You can't talk about the weather factory without mentioning the rainbows. How do you think rainbows are made? Water in the air refracting light into a natural laser light show? Hell no! Obviously it's some kind of industrial paint!

I'm sorry if I can't be more specific about what I saw, but I was rattled by seeing the unapologetic rape of everything I knew about meteorology. The whole time Rainbow gave us that tour, I was doing my damnedest not to pop a single one of the million questions that were rattling around my head, all of which were "WHAT!?"

Finally, something happened that I could understand. The only problem was that it was all at the expense of one of my friends. It started when we saw three ponies with that fucking Bieber-hair that I thought I finally escaped admiring Rarity's wings.

"Oh, where'd you get those amazing wings? I want a pair!" Gushed the brown one leading them.

...is it wrong of me to assume he's the gay one?

"Yeah, I guess I could see that." Rarity answered after a moment of consideration.

The leading brown guy looked over in our direction (with his hair, it was hard to tell exactly where he was looking). "Hey, look, it's Rainbow Crash again!" And suddenly, as much as I hated him for his hairstyle, I hated him even more.

The tan one, who was obviously a lackey, tried to come up with a follow-up to such a wicked burn, but he fumbled with it. "Yeah, Rainbow... umm... Crash!" Ugh, that was painful to listen to. I pitied someone that stupid.

"Rarity! What're you doing talking to these guys?" Rainbow demanded.

Rarity brushed off the question. "They were just admiring my wings, Rainbow Dash."

"Yeah, you should forget the Sonic Rainboom, and get yourself a pair of wings like those!" The leading brown guy laughed mockingly, and lead the other two dunces away, flying through the air.

I looked at Rainbow, and I noticed just how much that hurt my usually tough friend. I glared after the departing trio and yelled at them. "Yeah, that's right you cowards! You'd better run!"

They stopped in midair, and faced me. The looked amongst each other, and flew back down to confront me. "That's it, come back here, you bitches!" I taunted.

They landed and stared me down. The leader was the one to answer my confrontation. "What's your problem? We didn't do anything to you."

"Figures. If you slope-headed knuckle-draggers are attracted to shiny things, I shouldn't expect you to understand cause and effect." I pointed at Rainbow Dash, who was now deciding between shock and admiration at my actions. "You see her? She's a good friend of mine, and you just fucked with her." I looked back over to Rainbow. "Hey Rainbow? What happened to the last motherfucker that fucked with a friend of mine?"

"Uhh, you beat her up?" She replied unsurely.

I nodded my approval. "That's right, I kicked her ass. Now, do any of you pimple-dicks have the balls to fight me?" My gaze was challenging and my tone was harsh.

The guys looked amongst each other, only to find that they were all a little frightened by my ultra-violent nature. "You're crazy, dude! We're outta here!" They flew off in a hurry.

I chuckled mockingly. "Heh, the pussies." I turned back o my friends, who all had the mixed reactions I was expecting. Fluttershy was quivering, Applejack was unsure what to think, Pinkie was staring wide-eyed, Rarity was repulsed, and Rainbow Dash was grinning broadly. "Sorry you had to see that. But seriously, you saw me start a fist-fight with a griffin. You should have seen this coming."

I was surprised by an unexpected hug. Doubly unexpected was that it was from Rainbow Dash. "That was the coolest thing I've ever seen!"

I nervously returned the hug, patting her on the back. "Thanks, I don't get that a lot."

Rainbow held the hug for a moment, but then launched off of me when she realized what she was doing. "Uh, I mean, that was pretty cool. Not as cool as me, but still."

Her act wasn't fooling anybody, but I accepted the praise for what it was. "Sure."

Rainbow seemed to have returned to chipper spirits, and led us onward to another area of the weather factory. I haven't seen her smile that big since she was describing a trick she wanted to do. The others were giving me uncertain looks, but they shrugged it off after a while. Today wasn't about me, after all.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure, the day wasn't about me, but someone had the idea that it was about her. I'm not talking about Rainbow Dash, either (though that would be correct). As we toured the Cloud Production Facility, ponies were taking notice of a particular unicorn, and I'm not talking about myself. Rarity was flapping along with ever increasing glee at all the attention she was getting. Normally, I wouldn't be too worried about that, but Rainbow's recent optimism was quickly vanishing. In fact, she was fully worried.

I tapped her on the shoulder. "Are you okay, Rainbow?"

"Okay?" She replied shakily. "Y-yeah, totally! Why wouldn't I be okay? Everypony will be so focused on Rarity and her new wings, that nopony will see me fail!" She dropped to the floor and stared ahead with the same expression one expects from people who saw their own death in a dream.

Fluttershy was the first to reassure her that everything will be alright. I would have joined her, but my talents were best suited for confrontations. Which leads me to Rarity, who was encouraging the fascinated ponies to take pictures.

I flew up to her and not so gently tapped her shoulder. When she turned to me, she was met with a face of disappointment. "Rarity, may I ask what you're doing?"

"I'm just displaying my perfection, dear. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?" She asked, unsure of my purpose.

"Yes there is. You're showing off the wings I gave you at the expense of Rainbow Dash."

"Oh please, darling. She just has stage fright, that's all. I'm sure she'll be fine when she sees her friends supporting her."

My eyes narrowed. "You do remember that you're supposed to be cheering for her in the competition too, right?"

Our conversation was interrupted by some random bimbo in the crowd of ponies. "Hey yeah, you should compete in the Young Fliers Competition!"

I glared down at her for that remark, and while that shut her up, my Glare of Doom doesn't work on multiple people. An old bitch concurred at the proposed idea. "Yeah, I could watch you all day long."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I demanded from her. I turned to Rarity, but to my shock, she was actually considering their suggestion.

"Hmm, it would be such a shame if I couldn't show off as much of my wings as possible. I suppose I will compete."

I shook my head in disbelief. "You fucking what?"

Rarity didn't answer me, instead chiding me as she flew off. "I'm off to sign for the competition, despite what a few naysayers have to say."

I glared after Rarity, choosing not to follow her. I didn't want to stray to far from Rainbow Dash, who was getting more nervous than ever. I shook my hoof at the departing unicorn, and flew down to support my friend.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We separated from Rainbow Dash when the competition began. We took our seat on a vacant cloud, and watched a variety of performances. I'll admit, I was bored. I wasn't really into aerobatics, and I doubted that would change. I was only there because I wanted to cheer my friend, and until then, there was little that interested me. Well, I suppose I was surprised when Pinkie whipped out a foam finger. Pinkie startles me in new ways fairly frequently.

Thirteen contestants came out and did their thing, but I was the only one who wasn't really that excited. I was more concerned that Rainbow hasn't come out yet, though we all were. At that point, I told them that I was going to look for the contestant's lobby or whatever it's called. They wished me luck on my search, and I flew off.

I found the door I wanted in the corridor, but there was one problem: the was a security officer blocking the way. I didn't think it was much of a problem. I was just going to fast-talk my was past him.

"Excuse me," I began politely. "I need to get in there before I'm called out. Don't want to be disqualified, am I right?"

The officer was not impressed by my excuse. "Nice try, but all fifteen contestants are already inside."

Okay, no dice. This guy has apparently been paying better attention to his surroundings than I hoped. I doubted that another excuse would work, so I decided on telling the truth. "Okay, you got me. I was just hoping to speak to a friend of mine before she went out. Ease her stage fright, you know?"

The officer didn't budge, instead glaring at me. "Right. And then the rest of the competitors can't fly straight for some reason, am I right?" Oh, this guy was mocking me now.

"What the hell, man? Why do you think I'm up to no good?"

"You just tried to bluff your way in. I know you're a liar, so you must be up to something."

I growled. This guy was a shrewd son of a bitch. I'd need another ploy. "Fine, I'll just leave. Just let me fire up a teleport spell." I charged up my horn, but not with the spell I told him. Stupid sucker didn't think I was casting the Sleep spell, so he was momentarily surprised before he fell to the ground to take a little nap.

"You knew I was a liar, so why didn't you think I was lying about the teleport?" I chided the sleeping stallion. I opened the door behind him, and entered.

I looked around the room for my prismatic friend. The room was filled with ponies who I've already seen compete, and they were now relaxing and having pleasant conversation. I found Rainbow Dash, but she was huddled in a corner having an anxiety attack.

She didn't notice me approaching. "Nervous?"

She jumped at the sound of my voice. "Twilight? Oh no, don't tell me you're in the competition, too."

I waved away her concern. "No, I'm not here to compete. I only got by the guard because he was sleepy. The reason I'm here is to encourage you."

Rainbow sighed dejectedly. "I'm sorry, because you're wasting your time. I haven't been able to pull off the Sonic Rainboom. There's no way I can even compare to anypony here."

I cracked my neck and flexed my shoulders in preparation for the most stirring motivational speech I'll never give again. "Rainbow, there's a saying that fits perfectly well here: 'It's not the size of the dog that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.' It's true that the odds seem stacked against you, but the first failure comes when you lose heart. Don't give up, Rainbow Dash. Don't accept defeat, don't surrender. As long as you draw breath, you can fight, and you can win."

Well, I must say that I'm proud of myself. Rainbow was no longer shaking in fear, but now looked like she was at least willing to try. "Thanks, Twilight. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't come to support me." She chuckled. "It's funny, I've never heard that phrase before. Who said it?"

"I can't remember. What's important is the meaning of the words." I did know who said that, but I'd rather not have to explain who Mark Twain is. "Just remember, your friends are here to support you, no matter what."

The pegasus in charge of sending out the competitors approached us alongside Rarity. "There's only time for one more performance. If you both want to compete, you'll just have to go out there together." She informed.

Before we go any further, I just want to quickly comment on Rarity's appearance. To put it bluntly, she looked like a butterfly whore. I had no idea what possessed her to wear all that lipstick, mascara, and what have you. She put feathers in her hair, she was wearing some kind of anklets that only served to make her look expensive, and that dress she wore (where she got it, I'll never know) made her look more like a mantis. In the corner of my vision, I noticed Rainbow wincing in disgust. She wasn't alone with that sentiment.

"I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of changing our music. That 'rock and roll' doesn't really match my wings." Rarity said, flaunting her disgustingly ugly fashion to the arena.

I sighed at the ill-timed presence of Rarity. "Okay, most of us are cheering for you. Just remember, and this is probably the most important thing I can teach you right now, friends shouldn't be afraid to teach other friends a lesson." I pointedly glanced at Rarity.

Rainbow got the message loud and clear. "You got it, Twilight. Rarity won't know what hit her." Rainbow flew off into the arena.

I walked over to the balcony to watch the events. Now that my friends were out there, I was interested in the outcome.

Classical music was playing over the events, and let me tell you, nothing curbs reckless abandon like gentle music. It sucked. If there was a time where classical didn't apply, it was to an aerial acrobatics show. Rainbow tried her best with the given circumstances, but all eyes were on Rarity. Look, I don't know what the hell she was doing. She looked like she was performing for some kind of especially miserable ballet, only in midair. It was godawful.

Rainbow shot between pillars at blinding speed. She flew around a couple of clouds so fast that they were spinning in sync. But not matter what, she couldn't get a pop from the crowd. They were just so enthralled by Rarity's performance that they couldn't care less about what Rainbow did. Well, it was Rarity's wings that had their attention. If any of them cared about the performance itself, they would have needed a vomit bag handy.

It was hard to tell from a distance, but Rarity apparently decided to fly way up high and let her wings refract the light to dazzle everyone not immune to bullshit. But here's the thing about flying real high, especially in a world like Equestria, where the laws of physics don't mean shit: don't do that. Learn from the mistakes of Icarus, and don't get too close to the sun. But enough about Greek Mythology, because Rarity's wings caught fire, and instantly incinerated into ash. It would have been funny if it weren't so terrifying.

Without her wings to keep her aloft, Rarity plummeted. Her screams of terror filled the area, and she dropped below the clouds. As for what I did next, I don't really need to defend it. I had wings, I had magic, I had initiative. I plunged down after her. Rarity was kicking and screaming in fright, which was good for me, as she was slowing herself down enough for me to catch up. I narrowed my body into a missile, and accelerated faster than I usually cared to.

It's important to note that I'm not the only one who had the idea of catching Rarity. I wasn't really paying attention, but the Wonderbolts were apparently at the stadium to open, and they were elite fliers. Somehow, they fell faster than me, rocketing past and getting to Rarity first, long before I could. The next important thing to note was how Rarity was still kicking and screaming. This is problematic in a rescue mission, because she unwittingly kicked their asses. Great, so what was once me diving after one falling mare became an even more dangerous mission as the number of free-falling bodies quadrupled.

I fired up my horn, and reached out with my telekinesis. I grabbed the three Wonderbolts, who were now safe in my magic, but Rarity was not. She was just out of my range, and I needed to get closer. The ground was getting uncomfortably close, and I had little time to catch up to Rarity.

To my great relief, Rainbow Dash was also flying down to catch her. Even better, was when Rainbow cut through the air and did what I thought was impossible: breaking the sound barrier. With a thunderous roar, she shot down faster than physically possible, scooping up Rarity moments before her demise, also grabbing the Wonderbolts handily enough. Without having to maintain my levitation anymore, that let me focus on my next greatest concern.

Now, I'm not angry at Rainbow Dash or anything. Really, I understand that accidents happen, and when push comes to shove, you have to make a snap decision. I get that. I just really wish that when she did the Sonic Rainboom for the first time since pony kindergarten, she could have done it without launching me to the side like she's hitting me with a baseball bat.

So I'm flying out of control while Rainbow makes a rainbow over Cloudsdale. I hold out my wings and stabilize my flight path, so at least I'm no longer falling. Unfortunately, at that tremendous speed, I'm sure that the tree in front of me would have been lethal. With the reflexes and skill of someone about to die, I swerved out of the way of the incoming tree, and smacked into the side of a hill. That launched me into the air, where I fell out of control and into the woods. Naturally, I flew through the sharp branches and leaves, so when my momentum died down, I was covered in a plethora of stinging cuts.

Between the battering I took from the multiple landings and the cuts I got from the trees, I didn't really feel like moving away from my landing zone. "Great job, Rainbow Dash." I muttered. "You've saved Rarity. Now if only you could've saved me, too."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After smashing into the ground and careening through a bunch of trees, I was understandably exhausted. I flew back up to Cloudsdale, because my friends were up there and I had to let them know that I was okay. It wasn't easy, since flying takes up a lot more energy than I thought, and I had little to spare after nearly dying.

I grasped onto the edge of the clouds, and heaved myself up. I rolled onto my back and rested. I needed to catch my breath, and possibly find my friends soon. My worries were dispelled somewhat by hearing the voice of Princess Celestia. "Twilight? Are you alright?"

I wearily turned my head to find Celestia, Pinkie, Rarity (who was in a hot air balloon), Applejack, and Fluttershy looking at me with concern, no doubt from all of my scratches. "I guess I'm okay. I don't suppose anyone has an energy drink, though?"

"Ooh, I have one!" Pinkie rummaged through her mane, and threw a can at me, which I caught with a hoof.

The can called itself Manticore Energy Drink, boasting eight hours of hardcore energy. I popped it open with my magic and chugged the whole thing down without even sitting up. It was a skill I learned, though it made everyone watching a bit uncomfortable. I tossed the can aside and stood back up.

"So, where's Rainbow Dash?" I asked.

"I'd imagine she's having a wonderful time with the Wonderbolts right now." Celestia replied.

"Ah, so did she at least win the competition?"

"Seeing as how the grand prize was a day with the Wonderbolts, I'd say that's a safe bet."

Thank God. If I went through all that trouble and some other asshole won the competition, I'd be pissed. Before I could celebrate a personal victory, Celestia asked me a typical question for her. "So, my faithful student, did you learn anything about friendship from this experience?"

I nodded, but in my fatigue, my answer was anything but eloquent. "Yeah, I learned something. I learned that getting stabbed in the back hurts like a bitch for everybody."

Rarity winced at my word choice, and everyone else fearfully looked up at Celestia, expecting some kind of wrath from her. Instead, she took my words steadily. "I take you've had a bad day." She observed.

"Yeah, that sounds about right."

Celestia smiled in a way that I think was supposed to be reassuring. "Then I shall take up no more of your time. I wish you and your friends a pleasant day." With that, she departed.

After a moment of silence, Rarity spoke up with a concern of hers. "So, I take it you're upset with me?" She asked. The question was directed at me.

I thought about it with a blank look on my face. "...I'll get over it. This isn't the worst I've ever been hurt for the sake of my friends."

"Oh, please let me know if there's anything I can do to make it up to you!"

Well, I could think of one thing. "I'd feel a lot better if I could ride in the balloon with you."

Rarity smiled. "Of course, darling."

I hopped in the balloon's basket and rested against the side. As the balloon flew off to Ponyville with the others flying around us, I relaxed to enjoy the ride. Little did I know that later that week, Rarity would find a way to earn my favor, no matter how unnecessary it was.

PreviousChapters Next