• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 32,805 Views, 3,011 Comments

My Twilight Facade - axelsempai



Suddenly, I'm Twilight Sparkle and I don't want to be here.

  • ...
100
 3,011
 32,805

PreviousChapters Next
Blazing Trails to Great Disappointing Truths

I stretched my forelegs forward, limbering up like a cat after a nap. I leaned forward to stretch my hind-legs, head pointing up like I was howling at the rising sun. Today was a running day in which I would be working once again on my endurance. I was preparing just at the start of the Whitetail Woods Trail, which I was hoping I could clear. I almost made it last time. All I had to do was hold out for long enough to reach my starting point by running the whole circuitous trail. It took me about twenty minutes before I completely ran out of breath. If I could go for that twenty first minute, then I'd be all set.

I stretched each leg individually and shook off whatever sensations remained. I levitated my earphones into my ears. As it turns out, there exist portable music players in Equestria. I would never have known this if I hadn't seen that unicorn with the rockin' shades jammin' to whatever her tunes were. Good for me, since that let me listen to Mare-O-War while I went for a run.

I ran in tune with the opening song's heavy, conservative tempo. I wasn't here for speed, as this wasn't a race. I was just a guy thundering down the road, heavy metal making me feel like I was charging into battle. If I were crazier, I probably would have imagined a line of spearmen standing before me with their weapons ready to brace my attack. Sadly, I was a boring realist, so all that I really had to avoid were some rocks and a tree stump. Seriously, does nobody do maintenance on this trail?

I passed the first major curve in the trail, surely marking the second minute of my run. One of the benefits of running this course so much was how it let me keep track of time with landmarks. Just up ahead, I saw a tree that looked like it was bending over to pick up a coin on the ground, which marked the third minute. Yeah, I ran this trail a lot. You'd think a few months would have made me strong enough to clear the whole thing, but that was sadly not the case. The only major difference in all that time was the leaves changing color. I've never been one to notice the change in season, but I guess the start of Autumn just passed me by.

I glided down another curve in the path. Suddenly, I wasn't alone. A pony caught my eye right beside me, sporting her distinctive rainbow mane and bright blue coat. She easily kept pace with me, looking at me with a cocky grin. She looked like she wanted to say something.

I levitated the earbud out of the ear closest to Rainbow Dash. "'Sup?"

"You're gonna have to do better than that!" She taunted.

"Wha?"

Instead of answering my question, Rainbow sped up and cleared the ninety-degree turn with surprising precision. I turned the corner to follow her, finding that she was speeding off into the distant limits of my vision.

That was weird. I wondered what she meant. I wasn't about to think about it until I finished running, though. I had some personal training to do.

I didn't see her again during my run. I got fatigued and breathless just a little further than last time, which I felt was okay progress. Not great, but manageable. I trudged down the remainder of the trail and plopped down in the place I usually fell to rest. See, you can tell I used it often because there was a bare patch of dirt shaped like me where grass used to grow.

I huffed and puffed, eyes closed to the world around me. I slowly caught my breath. Between the cushiony embrace of the nearby grass and the lead singer's roaring about fighting to the death, I felt at peace. Times were good. Good times were great for naps.

I valiantly resisted the urge to sleep for a while, but I didn't really need to. Something tickled my nose. I grabbed at it with a hoof, but I caught nothing but empty air. I put my arm down and got comfortable again, thinking whatever it was would leave me alone.

It came back, more irritating than ever.

I opened my eyes to glare at the offending creature that dared to tickle my mighty snout. It turned out to be an object; a piece of straw held by a giggling rainbow pegasus. Unamused, I grabbed the straw with my telekinesis and threw it away. Her fun time now over, I sat up and faced her. Hopefully we could have a conversation without her running off with a cryptic taunt.

"All right, what's going on?"

"Nothing." Rainbow replied smoothly. "Just me creaming you in an impromptu race, that's all."

"Uh huh." I deadpanned.

"Seriously, you were moving so slow!" Rainbow added as if trying to rub salt in whatever wound I had.

"Well, it's not like I'm trying to race." I told her.

Rainbow just rolled her eyes. "Yeah right. As if you weren't training for the Running of the Leaves. Nice try, Spark Plug."

I gave her a confused sideways look and continued as if she didn't just insult me. "What's the Running of the Leaves?"

Rainbow's expression turned from cocky to surprised. "Seriously, how sheltered were you? First you didn't know what Cloudsdale was, now you don't know of a national holiday!"

I shrugged. "I had other concerns." Living in another world, for starters.

"Whatever. I just think a filly with her nose in books all the time would know a little more about Equestria than what she's picking up from talking to ponies."

"You'd think so..."

"Right, so the Running of the Leaves is this big race that takes place here in Whitetail Woods. The winner gets a gold medal!"

"What, that's it?" I asked, not being surprised. "The least they could do is reward you with a cash prize."

"Well, don't worry about, 'cause I'm gonna win it!" She boasted.

"What, the medal or the cash?"

"Both, duh! Since I'm entering the race, nopony even has a chance!"

I nodded slowly. "Okay, well, it's not like I planned on joining the race anyway. I'm not very good at running."

Rainbow looked me over. "Are you sure? You look like you've put on a few thousand pounds of muscle since you got here."

I looked over myself, taking notice for the first time in a while just how toned I was. My legs all had a firmness that wasn't present when I first got them. Interesting how ripped you can get from a few diligent months. "Oh, right. Yeah, I'm still working on endurance. I'm not very fast, yet."

"Oh well, it's not like you were going to beat me, anyway."

"Yeah, I'm sure." I said, giving her a challenging look. "Unless you want me to beat you. Gimme some time to prepare, and I'll give it a go."

"So you are entering the Running of the Leaves." Rainbow concluded as if she forced a confession from me.

"I am now."

"Then it's on." Rainbow spat into her hoof and held it out to me for a brohoof.

I stared at her dripping hoof with minor revulsion. "Dude, that's nasty."

Rainbow rolled her eyes and brought it down. "Whatever, Miss Cleanly. It's not that big a deal."

"Sure it is." I argued. "Saliva breeds diseases no matter how well you clean your mouth."

"You're not going to lecture me on this, are you?" She asked dryly.

"Do you want me to recite all my knowledge on the subject, or are you just going to take my word for it?"

"Don't even start; I'd fall asleep within seconds. I can do without long, pointless lectures."

"Fine, then let's just say I have reservations about mouth stuff."

Rainbow quirked a devilish smile. "So that means kissing is out of the question?"

I rolled my eyes with a scoff. "Please, like I need that kind of stuff to distract me."

Rainbow looked disappointed by my response. "Ah."

"What?"

"Nuthin'." She waved it off. "I just figured you'd get all nervous about it."

"Sorry to disappoint, but I can honestly say that I have yet to see a single pony I want to kiss." Special emphasis on "pony".

"Yeah, that's cool." She said with a nod. "So what are you doing today? Is this all you had planned?"

It was my turn with the smile of devils. "Why, are you asking me out?"

"Ha, as if! You're not even my type."

"Oh really? The sexy librarian doesn't do it for you?"

"Nah, too bookish."

I shrugged. "Alright. I wasn't planning on anything. You?"

"Nah." Rainbow and I sat there for a few seconds, thinking of something to say. Rainbow eventually piped up again. "I dunno about you, but I'm getting pretty hungry. Wanna go grab a bite?"

I nodded at the fantastic plan. My stomach was chewing on itself, anyway. "Yeah, sure."

We got up from our seats in the grass and left for town. Annoyingly, Rainbow shot ahead without me. Noodle-y legs notwithstanding, there was no way that I could keep up with a Rainbow Dash at full speed. I sighed as I gently walked after her. If I weren't so good at finding people with my magic, this could almost be a pain in the ass.


I lightly strode into town, following the occasional pulse of magic from my horn. I take it no one thought it was weird that my magic was flashing the whole time, since they didn't even take notice of it. Fine with me, I was feeling pretty ravenous. Every conversation I could be having about my magic would've wasted a little more time.

I cut through a small alley and stepped out only to have a blurring object speed by, nearly clipping me. Startled, I spun my head to watch the object go down the road a little ways. It did a quick 180, and cruised right up to me. It turned out to be Scootaloo carting the Crusaders and Pinkie Pie around Handicar style.

"Hey Twilight! Check out my sweet ride!" Pinkie bobbed her head as if I was supposed to be impressed. I actually was. It couldn't be easy for Scootaloo to drag all that weight behind her.

"I didn't even know you could pull a wagon behind a scooter like a side-car."

"What's a side-car?" Scootaloo asked.

I dismissed the question, as that was Earth technology I shouldn't be explaining. "Nothing."

"We're looking for Rainbow Dash!" Pinkie announced. "Wanna come along?"

"Actually, I was just following her. I know where she is, if you need to find her."

"Great, that will really save us time!" Sweetie Belle cheered.

I nodded once and shrunk myself to the size of one of the fillies. "It will be faster if I ride with you. Scootaloo, think you can take the extra load?"

Scootaloo buzzed her wings confidently. "No problem!"

I hopped into the wagon, clutching the side. It was a tight fit, but it did well to hold the combined space of three fillies and a full grown mare. "Then let's roll! Rainbow Dash is that way!" I pointed in the direction we needed to go.

"Ya might wanna put on a helmet." Apple Bloom warned.

"Pfft! Yeah right. I can handle a simple wagon ride."

Scootaloo rocketed forward with surprising speed and acceleration. My face pulled back at the force of wind resistance immediately. It only took a slight curve to make me lose my grip and launch off the wagon. I tumbled helplessly along the ground and slammed into a market stall.

I pushed myself up and groaned. Unfortunately for me, this stall sold clothing irons, and the breaking of the stall sloped down to my point of impact. Every iron on sale dog-piled me, pinning me under a painful heap of jagged metal.

Pinkie and the Crusaders rushed up to check on me. "Oh my gosh, are you okay Twilight?" Pinkie asked.

I dispelled the Shrink spell and shoved off the offending irons. "Change of plan: I'm gonna fly there while you follow me."

"Yeah, that's probably for the best." Sweetie Belle conceded.

I summoned my bat wings and took to the sky. I made sure to keep my speed slow enough to allow Scootaloo plenty of time to maneuver through the streets after me. It didn't take very long (or hurt as much) with this new strategy, so we quickly made our way to our destination. It was Sugarcube Corner. Cause where else would you go for food?

I touched down and dismissed my wings, opening the door for Pinkie and the Crusaders. "She's just in here."

Rainbow wasn't the only one of my friends inside. In addition to her, Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy were presumably waiting for something sweet to eat. I suddenly wondered if I was the only one who didn't eat an early lunch.

Rainbow walked over to us, smiling down at the Crusaders. "Hey, so you've been looking for me, huh?"

I looked between them. This was why I hated it when Rainbow leaves me behind; I always miss something.

Scootaloo hopped forward with excitement. "Yeah! We wanted to know how you got your cutie mark! I bet it's awesome!"

"You bet you your flank it is!" Rainbow confirmed.

So I assumed one of the others knew about this ahead of time and let Rainbow know. I took a seat to rest my achy legs for this story. Rainbow spoke of a time when she challenged a group of bullies to a race in Fluttershy's defense. I would have interjected to ask why she didn't just kick their asses, but that would have been rude. The interruption, I mean. Fighting would have been justified (and awesome).

Anyway, that's when she first did the Sonic Rainboom and earned her cutie mark. A pretty inspiring story, I had to admit. If it ended like that, I would have made my excuses right then and there to go practice some magic.

It didn't end there. Fluttershy spoke up with an observation of hers. "Wait a second, I heard that explosion. I saw the rainbow, too. I think you scared the animals that got me my cutie mark."

I raised an eyebrow at her. That was a pretty cool coincidence, if a little curious. Then Pinkie spoke up. "I heard the boom, too! I threw a party for the first time after I saw the rainbow!"

Two in a row? Now we were getting spooky. It only got spookier though, and I didn't get context for any of it. Applejack said she saw the Rainboom point her home, so I guess she got lost one day? I don't know how she would have gotten her cutie mark like that. Then Rarity said she saw the Rainboom when she got her cutie mark from, I dunno, something about rocks. Weird that all of them were affected by a single event so far apart from each other.

Pinkie was quick to thank Rainbow for "causing them to earn their cutie marks", and initiated a group hug. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle awed at the display, but Scootaloo gagged. I was just flummoxed.

The girls all opened their eyes from the hug as if they realized they were missing someone. They turned to me expectantly.

"What?" I asked.

"Did you see a rainbow when you got your cutie mark?" Fluttershy asked.

I worked the question through my head, eventually nodded uncertainly. "Yeah, I saw that. I just thought it was something cool to look at."

Rainbow beamed at my fake answer, but Applejack was doubtful. "Yer just lyin' 'bout it, ain't ya?"

I sagged. "Yeah, I just wanted to fit in."

Applejack rolled her eyes, but gave me a reassuring smile. "Hey, don't ya'll fret now. We're still friends."

"Yeah, but you all have some cool backstory for your friendship." I pointed out. "I'm just the wily outsider, again."

Realization flashed across Pinkie's face and she darted over to drape a foreleg over my shoulder consolingly. "Don't be sad, Twilight! Maybe you can remember something if you told us your cutie mark story."

"But I don't have one." I countered.

"What? How do you not have a cutie mark story?" Rainbow asked in disbelief.

"Well, is it important to society as a whole to have a memorable cutie mark story?"

"Yeah..."

"Then there's your answer."

Rarity balked. "You mean to say that you purposefully don't care about your cutie mark because it goes against the grain?"

"Oh my gosh, you're a hipster!" Pinkie declared.

"No!" I denied immediately. "I'm not a hipster, I'm a rebel!"

"No, you're pretty much a hipster." Rainbow said.

"Hipsters like that peaceful New Age crap. I play metal, throw up the devil horns, and raise anarchy!" I argued.

"Yes, nothing says 'anarchy' like getting your hair done and having a nice massage." Rarity teased.

I got flustered and widened my eyes with desperation. "Th-that's different!"

"So, you really don't know how you got your cutie mark?" Applejack asked, clearly trying to change the subject.

I took a deep breath to calm myself. No sense in digging myself into a hole trying to make something up. "No. I just realized I had mine at some point."

"Well that's strange." Applejack noted. "Earnin' yer cutie mark is supposed to be somethin' memorable."

I shrugged. "I don't know what to tell you. I'm a man of many mysteries."

"Mare." Fluttershy corrected.

"Mare of many mysteries." I repeated flatly.

"Yeah, well, that's something we like about you." Rainbow said. "You're still pretty cool, even if we don't have some magic connection from foalhood."

"You're still trying to comfort me for being different, aren't you?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's pretty obvious."

I crossed my arms defiantly. "Well I don't need consolation. You're right that I don't need a special connection with you to be your friend, and I really don't care either way."

They all shared a look. A look that made me shiver. "I think you do." Pinkie said.

"W-what? No, I'm fine."

"Oh, but you really do need some cheering up right now." Fluttershy insisted. Everypony took a step towards me.

I looked around at them tentatively. "Hey, what're you doing?"

"Doing you a favor." Rainbow growled menacingly.

"Yeah, no need to be all tsundere on us!" Pinkie quipped.

I backed up against the wall at their continued approach. "Stay back! I can shoot fire!"

It was too little a threat. There was nothing I could do to stop their onslaught. They latched onto me and gave me the best, sweetest group hug against my will. I loved appreciated hated it. I just stopped struggling because I was still sore from running.

Scootaloo gagged again.

Author's Note:

One Year Anniversary! Whee!

Bloggin' about my experiences with the story.

PreviousChapters Next